Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4373705 - 08/10/17 04:35 PM Re: College and career question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Makes me think of this classic:

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4373743 - 08/10/17 07:41 PM Re: College and career question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Why is it Europeans refer to time at a university as time at university? For that matter, why do Europeans go to hospital rather than to the hospital?

biggrin

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4373747 - 08/10/17 08:04 PM Re: College and career question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

One could also enquire as to why Americans "write" each other biggrin

#4373752 - 08/10/17 08:41 PM Re: College and career question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
M.A. in Political Science (major), with minors in EU law and American Cultural History. The plan was to become a Pulizer-winning, hard-nosed political commentator at one of the top newspapers. smile

Ended up in digital marketing, via a brief stint in (light) journalism (entertainment-related topics such as games, movies, consumer electronics). reading

Would like to focus on content creation (I love to write), but sadly, there's not much money in that, and lots of competition (there's an army of struggling journalists out there)

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4373753 - 08/10/17 08:42 PM Re: College and career question [Re: U-96]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
Why do Americans get tap water out of a faucet?

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4373768 - 08/10/17 09:47 PM Re: College and career question [Re: Airdrop01]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by Airdrop01
Why is it Europeans refer to time at a university as time at university?

I have utmost confidence that your German is better than my English.

#4373769 - 08/10/17 09:48 PM Re: College and career question [Re: RedToo]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Originally Posted by RedToo

Interestingly, both are appropriate. Faucet has an old French origin, and tap an Old English/Germanic one. Both originate from the words for the bung used to seal a barrel or other container. I'd be interested to know if "faucet" has some commonality with French-colonial areas of the USA.

#4373774 - 08/10/17 10:21 PM Re: College and career question [Re: Ssnake]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Originally Posted by Ssnake
Originally Posted by Airdrop01
Why is it Europeans refer to time at a university as time at university?

I have utmost confidence that your German is better than my English.

Ha. Nope. Russian though. smile

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4373775 - 08/10/17 10:21 PM Re: College and career question [Re: RedToo]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA

Where would you expect us to get it ; out of a stream ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4373807 - 08/11/17 01:30 AM Re: College and career question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
busdriver Offline
busdriver  Offline

Major >>> Political Science (Russian language minor)

I flew airplanes for the USAF >>> I flew airplanes after the USAF >>> Now retired, I fly airplanes...taildraggers.

Last edited by busdriver; 08/11/17 04:57 PM.
#4373812 - 08/11/17 02:53 AM Re: College and career question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Started at a 2-yr tech school. Graduated with a technician's diploma. Now an embedded firmware engineer specializing in wireless IoT connectivity.

And compared to busdriver (posting above me) I ain't #%&*$#.

#4373822 - 08/11/17 06:04 AM Re: College and career question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Don't make youself smaller than you are, is all I've been trying to say in the previous posts. There's nothing wrong with being humble, but don't overdo it. You're doing your profession and your self-esteem a disservice as it might create a deterrence for others to pursue a similar path even though they might actually be good at it. I'd rather see people taking a vocational career than wasting their parents' money (and loading themselves with crushing student loans) for a university degree in a field that makes them dumber, like gender "studies" (which is probably the most egregious case of a field dominated by ideology, rooted in anything but science, and embedded in a matrix of hogwash). Certain fields of economy also fall into that category when they make the students feel overly confident in their ability to predict the future (and thus exposing them to prediction error, and those who they influence with their crystal ball gazing).

#4373834 - 08/11/17 08:38 AM Re: College and career question [Re: oldgrognard]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
Originally Posted by oldgrognard

Where would you expect us to get it ; out of a stream ?

What the US calls a 'faucet' the UK calls a 'tap'. Hence in the UK we turn on the tap and call the water that comes out 'tap water'. Surely in the US faucet water should come out of a faucet. smile

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4373840 - 08/11/17 10:53 AM Re: College and career question [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
The plan was to become a Pulizer-winning, hard-nosed political commentator at one of the top newspapers. smile

You could have become the German version of William F. Buckley Jr.!!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4373841 - 08/11/17 10:56 AM Re: College and career question [Re: RedToo]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

What the US calls a 'faucet' the UK calls a 'tap'. Hence in the UK we turn on the tap and call the water that comes out 'tap water'. Surely in the US faucet water should come out of a faucet. smile

I just blame the French for that. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4373870 - 08/11/17 02:40 PM Re: College and career question [Re: Dick Dastardly]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Dick Dastardly
Originally Posted by MarkG
Wow, there's some real smart asses...I mean, really smart *people* on this board! biggrin

I keep flip-flopping around on finally going to school and deciding what I want to do/be when I grow up, as if I have all the time in the world.

Yeah, people like Nixer are very inspirational, an older gent toughing out college. Do you get a discount on tuition when you turn 50?

Age means nothing if you want it, go for it. When my brother graduated w/ computer science, there was a 71 year old in his class, same degree. smile And he was in the top 10% of the program IIRC.

That's very encouraging. I've been a little obsessed with aging lately, reading how it's not only important to try to keep yourself physically conditioned, but also staying mentally sharp as well.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet, but my lack of education and accomplishment demons are pestering me again and with urgency as time is fleeting. Advanced math? Heck, I still have problems with simple spelling and grammar!

++++++++++

On a side note, for almost 30 years I've attended my wife's company events (anytime spouses are invited, I go), from cruises to parties, but most often a nice dinner, sometimes *very* nice. As we're exiting the building I always ask her, "I didn't embarrass you, did I?" Now, I'm not talking about over drinking and then acting stupid or anything like that (I know better). I mean, just having regular dinner conversation. It's never been a comfortable situation for me, I can tell that I'm sitting at a table with educated people (in this crowd, even spouses are usually educated) and that I just don't think on their level. I almost never relate to the conversations nor do I share most of their interests (similar to why I stay out of PWEC smile ). So I sit quietly and eat, hoping I'm using proper etiquette and the correct fork.

Fortunately, as we leave I only get a smile and that I didn't embarrass her at all, along with a thanks for even going (like I would turn down free dining which may include lobster, an exotic fish and pure crab meat. smile ). But I can also tell that when she's in that environment with other educated people, she uses a part of her brain that I don't see at home. I don't know why it's bothering me now, decades later, but it's as if I missed the smart bus or something.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4373872 - 08/11/17 02:47 PM Re: College and career question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
You have no reason to feel inferior at all Mark. I believe you have been doing computer programming for a long time if I'm not mistaken? The great majority of the general population can't do that.

#4373874 - 08/11/17 02:52 PM Re: College and career question [Re: LB4LB]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Originally Posted by LB4LB
My brother's catering company does some higher end contracts. He loves when ever any of the local University's call. The extravagance that the people who run the schools enjoy is unbelievable. Wayne State University spends an unreal amount on entertainment and food for the upper level staff on a regular basis. These people live like kings while each year they jack the price of school up more and more. Why does a dean of a school need a $50,000 ice sculpture for a party ? And who do you think paid for that ?

We have outrage and an ongoing scandal over here regarding the vast salaries paid to vice-chancellors here at the moment.

On the other hand Universities do often help revitalise the host cities' economy and regeneration.
I'm thinking both of my nearest city, where vast amounts are being spent on adding to the faculty, historic structures that would otherwise fall into disrepair. An Art Deco ex-car showroom that was falling into dereliction becoming part of the Arts Dept. for instance.
My youngest daughter went to Bangor in Wales, a failing scruffy seaside resort that now has more students that residents, and the cash injection into it's economy that goes with that.

#4373879 - 08/11/17 03:03 PM Re: College and career question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
You have no reason to feel inferior at all Mark. I believe you have been doing computer programming for a long time if I'm not mistaken? The great majority of the general population can't do that.

My only real programming "accomplishments" were with <cough> Visual Basic 6. biggrin Trying to change that now, though.

Still, it would be nice to give off an everyday impression of being educated, regardless of any mentally demanding skills you may have.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4373889 - 08/11/17 03:43 PM Re: College and career question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
No university or college background here. I enlisted straight into the RAF after leaving school with very mediocre grades. I completed the 9 years I signed up for, after which I did a 3 year spell in IT Tech support, which I thought I would enjoy but really didn't. After that, I moved to the States and chased the dream of being a pilot. That has worked out better than I could have ever expected. I have had some luck and a lot of help along the way, but I strongly feel that we over emphasize the importance of a college degree for a lot of jobs.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.