PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by adlabs6

Do you think I have an accent?

I would say you have a slight Southern accent kinda similar to what Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton have. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4372636 - 08/03/17 10:49 PM Re: Accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
North of England, East Lancashire diluted with 40 years of strine.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4372644 - 08/03/17 11:45 PM Re: Accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by adlabs6

Do you think I have an accent?

I would say you have a slight Southern accent kinda similar to what Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton have. biggrin

Oh that's slight, yea. biggrin

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4372659 - 08/04/17 01:15 AM Re: Accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I'm not sure, but perhaps Mid-Atlantic would be close. I was raised mostly as an Army brat and got schooled exclusively in DoD (Department of Defense) schools. In these situations, accents often get diluted or disappear. This was my first exposure to English after being raised in Germany and attending German first grade and although my step father was a Georgia redneck through and through, his time in the Army diluted the southern accent significantly.

Having spent most of my adult life in Columbus, Georgia, I still wouldn't get mistaken for being from here. I use "southernisms" but don't really have the accent.

By the way, I am fascinated by accents, languages, and cultures. When I see people at my job (university) who look, act, or sound like they might be from another country or perhaps first generation Americans, I find it hard not to ask them where they are from. These days people seem to get defensive about being questioned along these lines, probably because some Americans are still xenophobic. Too bad because I love sharing my German background and experiences.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4372663 - 08/04/17 01:51 AM Re: Accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

I speak BBC English old boy.LoL

#4372670 - 08/04/17 02:40 AM Re: Accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I was born and have lived most of my life in Florida. I've had people say you sound like you're from South Carolina. I don't think that's true at all though at least to my ears. Perhaps they weren't originally from FL and haven't heard all what there is to hear yet.
Generational Floridians, especially folks of the land and with a FL heritage going way back definitely have a distinct accent. Its Southern sounding by and large but I've heard some that are more akin to a Western drawl when compared to what you might hear in the Carolinas or in Alabama. Both sides of my family came to FL in the early 60s and 70s from elsewhere in the South and Midwest. Much of my family comes from Missouri and Kentucky. My grandmother on my mother's side in her 80s still has a strong accent though she has not lived in Kentucky for a long time. .

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4372671 - 08/04/17 02:48 AM Re: Accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I'm asking this because I was recently watching a Youtube video about the different accents in the UK and I had no idea that what is considered to be the "standard" accent is called "R.P." (received pronounciation). I had never heard of that term before.

I'm pretty sure RP is considered a bit posh and not a commoner accent.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4373229 - 08/08/17 02:35 AM Re: Accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Noter Offline
Noter  Offline

Atlanta, GA USA
Amazes me how you pick up an accent and language after being in an area for a while. I grew up in Michigan with parents born and raised in Kentucky with a little drawl, but not much. Never thought I had much of an accent growing up, nor did my friends. Went to school at Kentucky and after six months came home for a visit and met up with my friends. They could not believe how I was talking. I now had some southern drawl and was referring to everyone as "y'all". No idea how much I had picked up until I started listening to myself and sure enough they were right. Not sure what type of accent it would be, to someone from Kentucky I sounded like I was from up north, but to someone in MIchigan I sounded like a southerner.

In Atlanta now, and most of the people in the northern burbs have no accent. My kids are born and raised here and no one would know they are from Atlanta by listening to them, no southern accent at all.

#4373243 - 08/08/17 04:17 AM Re: Accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Noter, I lived in Atlanta for several years (Stone Mountain, Brookhaven, Duluth) but most people I know are either Yankee transplants or from the Middle East (mostly Iranian). Lot's of different accents but nothing Southern sounding comes to mind except one guy from Mississippi. The melting pot of the South, I suppose.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4373260 - 08/08/17 10:51 AM Re: Accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Atlanta is one of those big Southern cities just like Houston, Dallas, Jacksonville and New Orleans where you have such a huge melting pot of people from all over the country that the "typical" Southern accent that we know of is not really widespread or it's diluted.

The small towns and the countryside in the South is a totally different matter though!

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/08/17 12:32 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4373269 - 08/08/17 12:19 PM Re: Accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
'Sapper' Offline
'Sapper'  Offline

Croydon UK
South London mockney.

#4373274 - 08/08/17 12:38 PM Re: Accents [Re: MarkG]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by MarkG
Like RK, I don't have much of an accent but wife has a bit of a Cajun accent, maybe not as much as she use to (due to age or living away from home for so many years).

Not quite this strong, although I know people who do sound like this, including family...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeR7Ljv_tPc

I lived in South Lousiana for over 10 years. That little thang sounded like she was from Mississippi or Arkansas. Oh, she's from North of I-10...no wonder.

Where I lived if you were from north of the Intercoastal waterway you were considered a yankee! I always said "Yankee hell! I am from EAST of the intercoastal.

Southern-ish accent here. I can pour it on if I want, or limit it also if I try.

Born in MA, btw and lived there 12 years. Keep that to yourselves please. exitstageleft

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4373275 - 08/08/17 12:45 PM Re: Accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Oh lord! Not only is Nixer a natural born Yankee but he's an uber Yankee (New Englander). biggrin

#4373473 - 08/09/17 12:09 PM Re: Accents [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Nixer, you have a point dar, she sounds more 'neck than Coonass. smile

Yeah, that I-10 division is real. I have family in Morgan City and Lafayette, they do talk differently than family in Shreveport (clearly anything above Alexandria should be considered the North). smile

I-10 is also an important hurricane boundary to home insurance companies, raising rates and lowering coverage. My parents were just south of I-10 at the Mississippi River, now living with us they're miles north of it.

Some of my wife's people are true Coonasses from Bayou Sorrel. I remember visiting them when we were dating in the 80's, almost seemed like a different world (truly salt of the earth people, though).

++++++++++

My mom did a lot of training over the years in Boston (IT and Novell network stuff with the FAA), dad would stroll around Cambridge University while she was in classes, they loved the area (I've never been).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4373476 - 08/09/17 12:15 PM Re: Accents [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG

My mom did a lot of training over the years in Boston (IT and Novell network stuff with the FAA), dad would stroll around Cambridge University while she was in classes, they loved the area (I've never been).

What's sad is that I've been a hardcore Red Sox fan since 1979 and yet I've not been to Boston yet. I am hoping to go next year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.