Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4372096 - 08/01/17 02:11 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Force10]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
Originally Posted by Force10
Wait...has this conversation devolved into personal slinging? I'M SHOCKED!

Seriously...why do we have to go down this road constantly? More often than not...it seems one side has difficulty accepting criticism of their favorite game/developer and the other side de-rails any news post into a "ED is the worst company ever rant" and then both sides resorts to personal mudslinging. Not always...but most of the time.

If your only counter-point is to get personal...let it go. That goes for both sides of the debate.

there you go Force 10 fixed it for you ...... Neutrality

Dont think of it as being vastly outnumbered ... but just having a large target selection.

The only thing more accurate than incoming fire, is incoming friendly fire

Tracers work BOTH ways...

" I have a cunning plan my lord "
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4372099 - 08/01/17 02:20 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Winfield]  
Exorcet Offline
Exorcet  Offline

Originally Posted by Winfield
Originally Posted by Schweppes
you dont like to fly over terrain wich look more realistic and beautiful than before? Okay people are different:)

Only time I care about airfields is when I take off and land.....

You need to do more runway strikes. In honesty though, the DCS map is pretty airfield dense, barring the gap between Maykop and Min Vody and the middle of Georgia. You're basically always near an airfield unless you're flying in those regions.

From my time flying the A-10 and Ka-50, which I need to get back to, I'm looking forward to less spider tanks climbing 80 degree slopes made out of discontinuous terrain. DCS needs attention in many areas, but I think this is one of them too. More detailed airports should also work well with ATC improvements when they come.

#4372101 - 08/01/17 02:24 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Force10 Online zombie
I'm just a
Force10  Online Zombie
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted by tempusmurphy
Wait...has this conversation devolved into personal slinging? I'M SHOCKED!

Seriously...why do we have to go down this road constantly? More often than not...it seems one side has difficulty accepting criticism of their favorite game/developer and the other side de-rails any news post into a "ED is the worst company ever rant" and then both sides resorts to personal mudslinging. Not always...but most of the time.

If your only counter-point is to get personal...let it go. That goes for both sides of the debate.

there you go Force 10 fixed it for you ...... Neutrality

Yep...that can happen sometimes.
The point you're missing is it's not against the rules to say "ED is the worst company". It is against the rules to take that as a personal assault on YOU...and start making personal attacks on someone that has a negative opinion of your favorite developer or video game.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4372103 - 08/01/17 02:27 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: GrayGhost]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted by GrayGhost
I believe you'll want something with a minimum of 8GB VRAM, but 12GB would do much better.

Wow,really? Even for 1080p gaming?That means a GTX 1070 and upwards then. I'm not prepared to drop that much on a graphics card,not just for one game.

Last edited by Chucky; 08/01/17 02:29 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4372104 - 08/01/17 02:35 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Chucky]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Chucky
What do you call 'older' GPUs Nate? I have a GTX970 with 4gb vram (although I think in actuality it can only use 3.5 of that). The last time I tried Nevada,which was a while ago now,probably 4-5 months even,it seemed ok with max graphics.

WW2 is more in my interest than the jets so Normandy would be of interest to me as long as it ran smoothly at max (or near max) settings with my current hardware (i5 6600/GTX970/8gb ram).

When I say "older" GPUs I mean "Archaeological". I have a GTX670 (probably 2gig?) setting Medium Textures is a massive improvement in FPS in Normandy, with negligible loss in image quality (in my opinion of course).

Nate

#4372105 - 08/01/17 02:46 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
Hence why I stated a day or two ago inquiring about what systems ED is using to achieve the results they deem ok for release. The minimum just keeps getting pushed farther. Are medium settings the average they calculate by?

Not a slam, just a valid question. If I positively knew that upgrading from my 980 to a 1080 ti would gain better FPS and vis, I'd do it. Should last me a couple of years. But no one wants to commit to a truthful answer.

#4372110 - 08/01/17 03:36 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Force10]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
Yep...that can happen sometimes.

I have to disagree there, Every news post after about 5 responses ends up with a slam of ED or Wags or the other Mods at the ED forums, then the pro side gets involved

The point you're missing is it's not against the rules to say "ED is the worst company". It is against the rules to take that as a personal assault on YOU...and start making personal attacks on someone that has a negative opinion of your favorite developer or video game.

No I dont miss the point .. Its never OK to resort to personal attacks.. My point was Neutrality, Its both sides .... On my boxed copy of Blackshark there is a sticker that say As reccomended by SimHQ,

back When SimHQ was the premier flight sim community and there was none of this rubbish that is going on here

Last edited by tempusmurphy; 08/01/17 03:38 PM.

Dont think of it as being vastly outnumbered ... but just having a large target selection.

#4372114 - 08/01/17 04:12 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Force10 Online zombie
I'm just a
Force10  Online Zombie
I'm just a

CA
My point was Neutrality, Its both sides .... On my boxed copy of Blackshark there is a sticker that say As reccomended by SimHQ,
back When SimHQ was the premier flight sim community and there was none of this rubbish that is going on here

Yep...my boxed copy says that too.

That was also back when ED sold finished products and had not started their banning campaign on their paying customers. The attitude towards ED here has changed as ED has changed. The negative attitude here towards ED is not the fault of SimHQ...that lies squarely on ED's shoulders.

Thats enough of the "whats the correct opinion to have" discussion...we don't have to go through this every other thread.
You know the rules...stay on topic.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4372117 - 08/01/17 04:26 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun

I have to disagree there, Every news post after about 5 responses ends up with a slam of ED or Wags or the other Mods at the ED forums, then the pro side gets involved

there is a lot of positive stuff being posted here at SimHQ about DCS , some people just tend to ignore it.

#4372131 - 08/01/17 05:01 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
Originally Posted by Tom_Weiss

there is a lot of positive stuff being posted here at SimHQ about DCS , some people just tend to ignore it.

Only your excellent skin posts Tom smile2

Last edited by tempusmurphy; 08/01/17 05:01 PM.

#4372153 - 08/01/17 06:06 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
wink

#4372154 - 08/01/17 06:07 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Chucky]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

I have a 760 with 6GB of RAM (or 4? I forget) After the last couple of updates, that's not enough any more. I can get by but, flying over Vegas really drops my frames and flying formation becomes painful. Not impossible or particularly difficult, but uncomfortable (yes, I measure 'do I have enough FPS' in ability to fly form ... heh )

I might be a bit off the mark and you may be fine with 8GB, but due to the rapid growth of texture sizes I believe that in this gave, the more RAM on the card, the better. Of course, you can drop texture quality to reduce the load a well.

Originally Posted by Chucky
I believe you'll want something with a minimum of 8GB VRAM, but 12GB would do much better.

Wow,really? Even for 1080p gaming?That means a GTX 1070 and upwards then. I'm not prepared to drop that much on a graphics card,not just for one game.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 08/01/17 06:07 PM.

--
44th VFW
#4372180 - 08/01/17 08:40 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: GrayGhost]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by *Striker*
OK, so what point is it that you're trying to make exactly?

It's clearly stated in my posts. Read what I'm saying, not what you think I'm saying.

Originally Posted by Sobek
Essentially that he's the guardian of ultimate truth and that you are a gullible chum if you're not constantly flaming ED.

Originally Posted by Frederf
Compared to Sobek, Ice is the paragon of truth. I couldn't think of a sharper contrast than between Ice's respectable interest in objectivity and Sobek's rampant cronyism. Sobek's credibility account is empty and overdrawn. My wellspring of forgiveness and forgetfulness of his past words is no match for the rate at which he applies anew examples of the absolute emptiness of his conversational integrity.

Just wanted to re-quote the above for the LOLs... smile

Originally Posted by Nate
Funny enough, given your mention of VRAM, I decided to try medium textures in Normandy. A significant FPS jump for me 25 to 45-60), looks like VRAM is a chokepoint with the new Terrains for older GPUs

Speaking of VRAM and Caucasus, once 2.5 is released and the new Black Sea map is out, will the "Free DCS World" demo be upgraded to the new map or will it keep the old map?

the other side de-rails any news post into a "ED is the worst company ever rant

De-rails? By asking about the FPS hit of the new map? Can you kindly point out where the "other side" derailed the thread into a rant?

a slam of ED or Wags or the other Mods at the ED forums

And where did we "slam" ED or Wags or other Mods?

Originally Posted by ST0RM
Hence why I stated a day or two ago inquiring about what systems ED is using to achieve the results they deem ok for release. The minimum just keeps getting pushed farther. Are medium settings the average they calculate by?

Not a slam, just a valid question. If I positively knew that upgrading from my 980 to a 1080 ti would gain better FPS and vis, I'd do it. Should last me a couple of years. But no one wants to commit to a truthful answer.

Nobody on the ED forums has spoken out stating what the performance was and under what hardware it was achieved for the above screenshot?

Yep...my boxed copy says that too.

That was also back when ED sold finished products and had not started their banning campaign on their paying customers. The attitude towards ED here has changed as ED has changed. The negative attitude here towards ED is not the fault of SimHQ...that lies squarely on ED's shoulders.

I bought Black Shark 2 despite the fiasco that it raised with owners of Black Shark 1.... but that was a very, very, VERY different time.

I might be a bit off the mark and you may be fine with 8GB, but due to the rapid growth of texture sizes I believe that in this gave, the more RAM on the card, the better. Of course, you can drop texture quality to reduce the load a well.

8GB? I've got a 980Ti and it's only got 6GB of VRAM. So essentially, anoyone who is not on the latest wave of GPUs and on the top tiers of that wave (1070 and up, 8GB 570/580s) are SOL?

- Ice
#4372189 - 08/01/17 09:17 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
I have 8GB of video RAM and 16GB of system RAM. GTX 1070. I get stutters in DCS. A lot of people claimed stuttering was due to lack of system RAM (I had 8GB) but upgraded to 16GB a few months back, and nothing changed because like every other PC game out there, 8GB of RAM is fine. I am not sure if this is a problem that can be solved with throwing more RAM at it. Unless you're doing some kind of professional workstation tasks, RAM isn't a problem. Video RAM can be, but few games need 8GB at 1440P, if any. Unless you have crazy texture mods.

I have not tried the suggested fix yet, but I think outside of that we will have to wait for ED to plug some holes in the engine.

#4372190 - 08/01/17 09:23 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Flogger23m]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Flogger23m
I have 8GB of video RAM and 16GB of system RAM. GTX 1070. I get stutters in DCS. A lot of people claimed stuttering was due to lack of system RAM (I had 8GB) but upgraded to 16GB a few months back, and nothing changed because like every other PC game out there, 8GB of RAM is fine. I am not sure if this is a problem that can be solved with throwing more RAM at it. Unless you're doing some kind of professional workstation tasks, RAM isn't a problem. Video RAM can be, but few games need 8GB at 1440P, if any. Unless you have crazy texture mods.

I have not tried the suggested fix yet, but I think outside of that we will have to wait for ED to plug some holes in the engine.

Humour me and try Medium textures, just curious as to the result in smoothness on a 1070. I've been eyeing a 1070 or even a 1080, but I'll hold fire until I hear of some improvements to DCS i think

Nate

#4372199 - 08/01/17 11:03 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Flogger23m]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by Flogger23m

And this is Nevada (new graphics engine) under 1440p single monitor config? That's not good. While I fully suspect that it's the graphics engine that may not be optimized, I don't have enough experience in P3D/XP or other modern sim/game titles to grab some other numbers. Aside from BMS, I mostly play RPGs and turn-based games.... and on a single monitor. It's really only BMS and flight sims that makes full use of my 5 screens.

- Ice
#4372259 - 08/02/17 01:01 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

3440 x 1400 with 16G RAM + 1080TI ... still a bit stuttery at times

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4372262 - 08/02/17 01:19 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Originally Posted by Tom_Weiss

I always read and try to support whatever posts are helpful. Thank you for doing your part.

#4372284 - 08/02/17 02:49 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: - Ice]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
Originally Posted by - Ice
Nobody on the ED forums has spoken out stating what the performance was and under what hardware it was achieved for the above screenshot?

Not that I've seen or heard about.

Flying in NTTR now, in VR and low level I've encountered more stuttering than ever before. I dont know if this is a VR thing, or an updated mesh. I'm scratching my head a to where the problem lies. I've got 32Gigs DDR4 RAM, an i7 6700 and a GTX 980 which is supposed to be fine for VR use. But without any solid word as to the new requirements, it's a guess where to put money.

#4372420 - 08/03/17 10:42 AM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Nate]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by Nate
Originally Posted by Winfield
Originally Posted by piper
Looking forward to this;

Looking forward to what exactly? How is a better resolution of mountains a game changer?

what would be a game changer is enemy AI combined arms not being able to see through trees or track human combined arms vehicles through mountains, buildings etc. That to me would be a game changer. Adding more trees is pointless for human controlled vehicles when enemy AI can see and track through them

You should be pleased with the new map so. This is already in place in Normandy.

EDIT:- since this came up I decided to play with it a bit, it is actually quite well done. For example, A Vulcan will engage a Helo through a clearing when deep in the forest, however only if it has Line of Sight. Alter the flight path slightly so the Helo passes almost over head but no line of sight, and the Vulcan can't engage. Individual tees are now calculated for LoS. I tried did the same for 2 Tanks, and only once LoS through the the very edge of the forest was acquired, they would engage.

EDIT2:- another cool thing I've discovered is the AI Helo will get low when a threat is detected and use the tree line as cover while escaping.

Nate

Thank you for sharing, My comments were based strictly on the 1st part of yours being Combined Arms without Helo intervention.

I will test this for myself however my video upload will be based on Human Tank VS AI vehicles . Combined arms has always been on the back burner and has been virtually untouched for some time now **excluding the wasted time to create the normandy map vehicles**

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.