Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4350223 - 04/10/17 02:59 PM Thor: Ragnarok  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

I always thought I leaned more towards DC characters, but I have to admit that Marvel does know how to sell their movies a whole lot better than DC.

They seem to have combined a few stories with Ragnarok..added Hulk Planet elements too. Wondering if Beta Ray Bill may show up. Love the look of Hella.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4350225 - 04/10/17 03:02 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'll be seeing it in the theater. I enjoyed the previous 2 Thor films well enough.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4350256 - 04/10/17 04:35 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It's a friend from work! - Amazing how they manage to make the most mundane of lines work so well.

Meanwhile, TBH every non-Nolan DC film has largely tripped over its own feet just doing the basics.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4350273 - 04/10/17 05:23 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Holy crap, that looks bad ass!

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4350274 - 04/10/17 05:24 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It's nice seeing Jeff Goldblum in something again. I haven't seen him since "The Grand Budapest Hotel".

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4350276 - 04/10/17 05:28 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Well, well, well. An actual story. Cool

#4350286 - 04/10/17 06:19 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Also good for Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Another royalty cheque inbound. smile

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4350303 - 04/10/17 06:56 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Yes, that trailer makes me want to see that.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4350311 - 04/10/17 07:22 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
It's nice seeing Jeff Goldblum in something again. I haven't seen him since "The Grand Budapest Hotel".

How did you miss millions of apartment.com ads? Do you actually live on Earth or are you just spoofing your IP address?

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4350368 - 04/11/17 01:05 AM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Hyena Offline
Hyena  Offline

Houston
wow. looks awesome. and it looks like the Executioner gets to rock his M-16s...

[Linked Image]

"He's not just a regular moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived."
#4350396 - 04/11/17 09:36 AM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Immermann Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Immermann  Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.

Lule/Norrbotten/Sweden
Oh, ffs. Space Gladiator is more like it.

"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
#4370599 - 07/23/17 03:55 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
It seems that whatever potion Marvel used to spice up Guardians of the Galaxy, they want to use now for all their properties. Love the Hela shots on the trailer -

#4370809 - 07/24/17 10:37 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by Bib4Tuna

They seem to have combined a few stories with Ragnarok..added Hulk Planet elements too. Wondering if Beta Ray Bill may show up. Love the look of Hella.

he is at the very begining when the ship goes away from the camera he is int he building monument in the background,you can also see, man thing,ares and other characters from the hulk sculpted there. a nice nod from taika,they were problably gladiators once.

#4370814 - 07/24/17 11:05 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Immermann]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted by Immermann
Oh, ffs. Space Gladiator is more like it.

Its pulled from planet hulk (ish)

#4370833 - 07/25/17 01:55 AM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I think the main difference between the Marvel films and the DC films is that the writers from Marvel seem to actually like writing, the characters they're writing, and don't seem like they're doing it under protest or as some horrible job to get through in order to get a paycheck.

I get it - Batman is all angst and a basic inability to get over one traumatic event as a seven year old, so he runs around beating people up. Dark stuff. Plot? "I'm Batman." Everything is focused on him and his pain, meaning the story can't drive the film. Hell, Gotham is forbidden from having a bright, sunny day on account of Bruce Wayne mourning for his parents. And if the Sun isn't allowed to shine, well, we can't have well lit interiors, can we?

He's completely unhinged the DC universe to where everything must be sepia or black. Red? Yes, they can have red, so long as it's deep blood red. Even in The Watchmen bright yellow outfits must be lit and filtered until they turn into a dirty mustard.

Marvel built a world and has its characters do things in it - they're participants, not the center of existence. So they can have some fun, or at least not be total tools all the time. They're relate able. It also means that story can drive the films as much as the characters.

Last edited by Dart; 07/25/17 01:58 AM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4370845 - 07/25/17 05:06 AM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Dart]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by Dart
I think the main difference between the Marvel films and the DC films is that the writers from Marvel seem to actually like writing, the characters they're writing, and don't seem like they're doing it under protest or as some horrible job to get through in order to get a paycheck.

I get it - Batman is all angst and a basic inability to get over one traumatic event as a seven year old, so he runs around beating people up. Dark stuff. Plot? "I'm Batman." Everything is focused on him and his pain, meaning the story can't drive the film. Hell, Gotham is forbidden from having a bright, sunny day on account of Bruce Wayne mourning for his parents. And if the Sun isn't allowed to shine, well, we can't have well lit interiors, can we?

He's completely unhinged the DC universe to where everything must be sepia or black. Red? Yes, they can have red, so long as it's deep blood red. Even in The Watchmen bright yellow outfits must be lit and filtered until they turn into a dirty mustard.

Marvel built a world and has its characters do things in it - they're participants, not the center of existence. So they can have some fun, or at least not be total tools all the time. They're relate able. It also means that story can drive the films as much as the characters.

You just put very good words on to something I've felt, but never even verbally articulated to myself there. I have no speculation about your first paragraph, but you NAILED the next three.

#4370854 - 07/25/17 06:03 AM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Growing up, I hardly ever read comics. Sometimes, I'd go to a friend's house who had some, and I'd read through a few, and always felt they were just too over-dramatic, and very soap-opera-ish ("he's a good guy, now he's a bad guy, now he's a good guy again!") Combining different comics characters always seemed childish ("Who would win in a fight, the Hulk or Iron Man?" "Iron Man!" "Huh-uh, the Hulk!" "Huh-uh, Iron Man!"). After seeing that stuff a bit, I just gave up on them.

When I saw the first X-Men film, going out with some friends and not really knowing what to expect, I was impressed. A good story with good characters and action. I didn't bother with Batman Begins until it was on cable, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it was made, and liked it a lot. Iron Man came out and I liked that too, and The Dark Knight was classic. The second X-Men film was pretty good too. The first Spider-Man movie was good, the second was OK.

I began to realize that after a couple of movies, they started getting back into the old comic book tropes, and so far, Marvel has gone the furthest, with all the super heroes showing up in everyone else's movies, and of course the Avengers movies. Obviously DC is headed in the same direction with the Justice League movies, too. When I watched the preview for Ragnarok, it was like reading the comics at my friend's house all over again, and reminded me of why I never liked comic books. I guess I just like movies based on comic books when they are least like the comic books themselves.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4370859 - 07/25/17 11:13 AM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
+1 Arthonon

Some movies that I enjoyed I had no clue they were based on a comic book at the time like "Men In Black" and "Blade". For me, those are two great examples of comic book adaptations where the movie itself was not "comic-booky".

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/25/17 11:13 AM.

#4370941 - 07/25/17 06:40 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
The problem with Marvel is that EVERYONE has some kind of power. The standard human seems like the minority. Mutants, Inhumans, aliens, clones...not many normal people. The problem with the movies is that they get away from the characters people like more and more. Really couldn't care less about Ant Man, Falcon, a replacement Capt America...whatever.
Their best offerings right now are on tv. The Daredevil related shows, Agents of SHIELD, upcoming Inhumans. Kind of lost interest in seeing the movies at the theater now.

DC...fewer heroes. Still have the clone thing, aliens etc, but it doesn't seem as populated with people with abilities. I love that some make their own. Batman (like Iron Man) steps up. In the DC universe, he was basically the first super hero. He's been at it presumably for many years by the time Man of Steel takes place, even losing a Robin in the process. He and Iron Man earned what they have though, they wouldn't be where they are if they weren't SMART first. I like that. I'm loving the DC movies and their darker tone. Marvel's movies are still playing off of the invasion in Avengers...in the movies, the DD shows, the broadcast tv shows. MOVE ON! DC is putting a lot on the line every time, justifying the need for their super heroes.

The cities are certainly distinct. They're supposed to be. Star City on Arrow is Gotham-like (intentionally), Flash's Central City is very different, bright and colorful. Is that really so unrealistic?
Does Manhattan look like San Francisco?
Does Boston look like Miami?
Does Seattle look like Austin?
Does any other city look like Vegas?

Nope. They all look different, have different weather, architecture, mood. The heroes match the tone of the city. Batman in Metropolis? He wouldn't care, he thrives on crime that doesn't flourish elsewhere, not world ending villains.
The Gotham tv show would seem a little silly in a bright, colorful city like Orlando. LOL

In print, they're all guilty of getting too complex with alternate universes, killing off and bringing back characters, recasting a hero with a different person. Flash is too convoluted with several people playing him over the decades, Wolverine is now replaced by a little girl. Then they have a shake up in administration at DC or Marvel, the new head scraps the entire universe and they reboot it all. I guess you have to in order to keep things going for 70 years in some cases.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4370944 - 07/25/17 06:47 PM Re: Thor: Ragnarok [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Great post Raw!! I also like the darker tone of the DC movies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.