Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4370588 - 07/23/17 02:10 PM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: reconmercs]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
I'll pass. Perhaps I'll rent it in the future. I don't see the appeal of the story. Who wants to watch the broken Allies limp home in disgrace?

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4370617 - 07/23/17 07:00 PM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: Vertigo1]  
muffinstomp Offline
muffinstomp  Offline

Originally Posted by Vinz_Clortho
I'll pass. Perhaps I'll rent it in the future. I don't see the appeal of the story. Who wants to watch the broken Allies limp home in disgrace?

Well, one of us should attend. smile

In no way it's about allied disgrace. It's just the ever present cinematic (temporary) knock-down the super heroes do suffer from before rallying back to strength and afterwards crushing the enemy for good. Nolan picked that part of the story. Good hearted fishermen English people, french people helping together to save the important incentives for a yet-to-come counter attack. A different focus on braveries it took to bring down the Nazis.

See, I'm German. It's very hard for us to read from anyone here how he likes the depiction of my family and ancestors being run down. Especially when the Nazis shown are spiced up with elements of cowardice, looting, treachery or retribution for explicit cruelty. Well, if the movie won't work in a more complex depiction ok, but I don't like to have US children got to the movies and see exaggerated criminals as "their" first Germans.

Btw Did you ever notice that in "Saving Private Ryan" zeh Germans are about 45ys on average (i.e. responsible adults) whilst the US boys are around 20ys (except for their commander) and thus -appear- just a tad more innocent and sympathetic than the Germans? We have innocent and sympathetic guys here all around.
I wonder how Russians like the James Bond series, see?... wink

In the end you won't find me hoping for an axis victory either. That system of cruelty and injustice the Nazis were able to establish was hell on earth.

Maybe it's the similar (on a much smaller scale) with Southern US citizens watching a movie on the Civil War. They don't appeciate their family shown being killed in battles whilst not supporting slavery either. So "disgrace" to me isn't present in the long run.

Last edited by muffinstomp; 07/23/17 07:03 PM.
#4370618 - 07/23/17 07:02 PM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: Vertigo1]  
W-Molders Offline
W-Molders  Offline

I.E. Commiefornia ..S.B Count...

I do.. its about time the Germans got some pride in a military sense...

[Signature deleted]
#4370664 - 07/24/17 02:35 AM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: W-Molders]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by W-Molders

I do.. its about time the Germans got some pride in a military sense...

You can get that from watching Waterloo.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4370672 - 07/24/17 03:52 AM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: reconmercs]  
Robbster Offline
Robbster  Offline

Calgary, Canada
Just came back from seeing the movie. Decent movie, however I felt the constant bouncing back and forth from the non-linear events from different points of view (land, sea, air) made it impossible to feel attached or empathetic to any of the characters. The way it was filmed, it came across more like a History Channel movie than a theatrical release. Sound effects overpowered the little dialogue there was in the movie. The visuals, from the streets, to the beaches, to the small boats, to the aircraft (the scenes inside the Spitfire, especially) was great in terms of Cinematography. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.

#4370679 - 07/24/17 07:49 AM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: reconmercs]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Watched it last night.
I loved it.

Took a little while to work out the timeline thing, but once I did I thought it a good idea.
Liked the way the pace picked up as the timelines got closer to each other. Added to the tension.

One of the earlier scenes that struck a cord was Fortis leader getting shot down early in the film. He never saw the 109 that got him and neither did the rest of the element.

I generally struggle to watch a film more than once, but I'd happily see Dunkirk again

#4370686 - 07/24/17 11:10 AM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: reconmercs]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The big, big story is that Dunkirk made just over 50 million at the US box office on its opening weekend.

That is staggeringly great for a war movie with no US aspect and a battle that most in the mainstream have never heard about.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4370687 - 07/24/17 11:12 AM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: reconmercs]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Maybe, just maybe, the mainstream is not as mainstream as they think they are.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4370688 - 07/24/17 11:30 AM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: reconmercs]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I'm not at all surprised by the success of the film. Good script and story + Nolan + recognizable cast + good marketing effort = success.

I've mentioned this previously: the genre is not necessarily the defining factor for success/ failure. The quality of the content and marketing's success in "mobilizing the masses" are. Also, it seems the average American audience are not nearly as US-centric (anymore?) as previously thought (in a pre-digital age?).

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4370689 - 07/24/17 11:33 AM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: Jayhawk]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I'm not at all surprised by the success of the film. Good script and story + Nolan + recognizable cast + good marketing effort = success.

I think the marketing effort was the main factor here. Usually audiences don't choose to see a movie simply based on who directed it or even who is in the cast.

#4370693 - 07/24/17 11:56 AM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: reconmercs]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Having a well-respected director and a well-known British "all-star" cast certainly didn't hurt the marketing effort. wink

And of course, all the marketing and "bestest" cast and crew in the world does not help much when the script is just bad. Negative reviews and word-of-mouth will see to that.

Last edited by Jayhawk; 07/24/17 11:59 AM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4370694 - 07/24/17 11:58 AM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: reconmercs]  
F4UDash4 Online cool
Veteran
F4UDash4  Online Cool
Veteran

SC

#4370695 - 07/24/17 12:01 PM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: Jayhawk]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Having a well-respected director and a well-known British "all-star" cast certainly didn't hurt the marketing effort. wink

Remember that I'm talking about the US audience here and not the international audience. I'd say that really only Tom Hardy is well known in the US from that cast.

#4370697 - 07/24/17 12:03 PM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: reconmercs]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I want to see this as does my 82 year old mum but neither her or myself do cinema so we'll have to wait.

Can I ask anyone who has seen it,how gritty is it? I know it's a war film but if it's SPR levels of realistic then it won't be for my mother. She's a huge war film fan but all her favourites are black and white and back in those days on-screen violence wasn't a thing.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4370698 - 07/24/17 12:04 PM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: F4UDash4]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Also, Kenneth Branagh said on Colbert that 30 Dunkirk veterans came to the premiere, who afterwards told him that the movie "was louder than the battle". smile

#4370703 - 07/24/17 12:30 PM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Remember that I'm talking about the US audience here and not the international audience. I'd say that really only Tom Hardy is well known in the US from that cast.

Think Harry Styles might also be known in the States, seems he's famous pretty much all over the world. But not be on our radar as we aren't teenage girls, well most of us aren't wink

#4370704 - 07/24/17 12:35 PM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: Brigstock]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Steve_F

Think Harry Styles might also be known in the States, seems he's famous pretty much all over the world. But not be on our radar as we aren't teenage girls, well most of us aren't wink

And I highly doubt many US teen girls saw the movie this weekend. But you are right, I had absolutely no clue who Harry Styles was until I started reading the production updates for Dunkirk.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/24/17 12:37 PM.

#4370744 - 07/24/17 04:58 PM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: Chucky]  
Robbster Offline
Robbster  Offline

Calgary, Canada
Originally Posted by Chucky

Can I ask anyone who has seen it,how gritty is it?

I don't recall seeing any blood in the movie, if that's what you're asking.

#4370746 - 07/24/17 05:04 PM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: reconmercs]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
I wonder if this is suitable viewing for my 91 year old Mother-in-Law.
She has expressed a wish to see it, as her much loved Father-in-Law was much involved in 'Dynamo' as can be seen from the letter to him attached. Can't make out the signature, would be interesting to know who signed it).
Though I knew him in his latter years he never spoke about his army career in both WWs and beyond: 'A long time ago old boy, fancy a snifter?' was his retort when asked.
Even his son who died 2 years ago who followed him into the army did not know of his involvement in this event, nor his part in 'Torch' (we have a letter from Churchill congratulating him on his organisation) and his subsequent CBE awarded for the organisation of P.o.W. repatriation at the end of hostilities.

[Linked Image]

Her father, an RN Petty Officer was not directly involved, as he was recovering from the loss of the ship he served on in the Norway evacuation (HMS Effingham), helped with rail warrants etc. down at Dover. His wife dispensing char and wads.

#4370748 - 07/24/17 05:12 PM Re: Dunkirk Trailer!!! [Re: reconmercs]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thank you for posting that truly great story about your relatives and also the letter!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.