Hop To
Page 25 of 42 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 41 42
#4366852 - 06/30/17 12:49 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: DukeIronHand]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Originally Posted by DukeIronHand
Whew!
Was gonna post in here with some weak arse screenshots and text but you have set the narrative bar rather high sir!
Better get a gang-buster mission.

Just having fun with it DukeIronHand! I like "fleshed-out" characters....if I survive enough I might tell some billiards stories wink

Since I'm doing two-a-days, I'll be posting every half of a game week...I have one more mission to go before an update. Real life has been intervening more than anticipated recently, but I am still doing my best to be steadfast.

Show us what you have Duke...WOFF:UE is so varied, and there are so many stories to tell smile

Regards,

Jeff

WOFF:UE Computer Specs and set-up:
Homebuilt Computer!
Intel i5-3570k mildly overclocked to 3.8ghz
AsRock Z75 mobo
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA one fan version)
16 GB RAM
42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV with 120hz refresh
Very old (over 20 years now) Aiwa Receiver/Amplifier
Very old giant stereo speakers with newer sub-woofer
Very old Logitech Wingman joystick with two buttons and a throttle slider
Very old CH Thurstmaster analog footpedals
Manhattan analog/USB converter
W10
#4367015 - 07/01/17 12:15 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
(Writer's Note: Now borrowing carrick58's opening methodology for reports wink )

George Lyons
Sergeant
3 RFC
Chocques, Flanders

First mission 19 April PM...A nasty day for my first flight with 3 RFC. The Morane Parasol handles quite a bit differently then the RAF BE2c, and takeoffs and landings are tricky. Especially getting used to blipping the engine.

Difficult to see much with the rain and clouds, but occasionally some blue sky did poke through. Uneventful otherwise....

[Linked Image]

(Writer's Note: Where in the heck is the altimeter???...I will add a HUD altimeter on occasion. I have read that it was not above air crews to add their own gauges on occasion in real life, so here is my contribution, lol)

Second mission 20 April AM...Weather still not very good. B Flight was tasked to do some artillery spotting and watching of troop movements, but it was difficult to see much of anything so high up and also with clouds. At least it did not rain.

[Linked Image]

Third mission 20 April PM...The weather did not hold; it rained. We were tasked to view enemy movements, however, it was difficult to see and, well, we did not see much of anything except clouds and rain.

[Linked Image]

2nd Lieutenant H. D. Harvey-Kelly (Note: a real life Ace in the future!) sustained some rather heavy engine damage and was forced to land, and the Bosche were sending some archie our way, but I do not believe he was hit with any of that...just some old-fashioned engine trouble. Now, "Bay" (what H.D. Harvey-Kelly is called) is an interesting fellow, and my cup of tea! Here is an "official account" of the first aeroplanes that flew over the Channel from England to France during the beginning of this war...left me laughing! (Note: from WIkipedia):

Whilst Major Burke planned to be the first to land in France, Harvey Kelly took a short-cut over some woods and landed just before him.[8] Commanding Officer Major Charles Burke wrote in his diary: "Just as I was gliding down I saw another machine. Landed at 8.22. It was Harvey Kelly."[9] The route was straightforward, however given the limited range and reliability of the aircraft it kept close to points of safety: Swingate Down, Boulogne, south hugging the coast, then east along the Somme valley to Amiens. At 06.25 on 13 August, No 2 took off led by Major Burke flying Dover - Boulogne. From Boulogne they followed the coast as planned - except for Bay, who continued inland, apparently following a pre-planned cross country route. He landed, together with Air Mechanic Harris, in Amiens at 08.20, Major Burke arrived 2 minutes later. Although understandably annoyed at the flagrant disregard for his orders Burke took it as yet another example of Bay's playfully competitive nature and nothing further was said. A fellow pilot, Archibald James, described Bay as " .... the funniest man I have ever met. He kept me in roars of laughter the whole time". It's very likely that Bay's impact on Squadron morale also came into Burke's thinking.

...and a picture having a smoke after landing (Note: rofl ) :

[Linked Image]

Fourth mission 21 April AM...Weather cleared overnight, a fine day for flying! Also, first real action as we were tasked to recce over Phalempin enemy aerodrome, but were given the go ahead to drop some bombs! Intell told us that we scored some good hits, and indeed I dropped to about 150 feet to accomplish this! However, we took some moderate machine gun fire, and while neither of our craft were hit, it was a bit harrowing. (Note: Bah, turned off computer too quickly again, so no vids or pics frown )

Fifth mission 21 April PM...I suppose our morning success spurred Command to give us a bona fide bombing mission, this time to Houplin. However, Harvey-Kelly was in the lead, and we bombed from about 6ooo feet for this mission. I decided to try a little trick; not having done much high altitude bombing (or much of any bombing for that matter), I aligned my aeroplane behind his about 200 yards, and then when I heard his bombs go, I counted to three and then released mine. Intell tells us that I actually scored some hits whilst 'Bay' did not. Still, at these heights it is probably more luck than skill, sort of like trying to pocket a ball on a billiards table, but from five tables over.

When I landed, I heard the klaxons going off at a nearby aerodrome, so I decided to take off again to see if I could find any enemy aircraft, but to no avail. I made about 1000 feet, but did not see anything or any friendly archie to guide the way.

Sixth mission 22 April AM...Command decided we should visit the Harboudin enemy aerodrome; although officially a recce mission, since I was flight leader (B flight), I requested and was granted permission to bomb. I decided for a low attack, and while successful, our aeroplane was also shot up rather well. Not too far from our field, I lost revs and decided to glide in for a landing as opposed to risking something worse. Ended well, but our craft will need at least three days of repair so the mechanics tell me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(...the saga continues!)

---------------------------------------------

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by stljeffbb; 07/09/17 04:44 PM. Reason: Sergeant?? And converted from photobucket to imgur!

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4368193 - 07/09/17 05:49 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
(Writer's Note: The photobucket situation threw me for a bit of a loop, but after some investigation, I have chosen imgur as the best alternative)

Seventh mission 22 April PM...second machine today that failed under me, but this time not due to enemy action. Was assigned with 'Bay' to patrol Houplin aerodrome, but this time bombs were not allowed. Probably all for the bast, as about 2 miles into enemy lines, one of my cylinders seized up, and while I still had some revs, it was not enough for me to maintain altitude, so with a wave to HK we headed back to our side of the lines. I was fearful of fire, so I turned off the engine for a while, but then after some quick calculation, I realized we would not make an aerodrome, so I turned it back on for a bit. We barely made La Gorgue, and not knowing the lay of the field I came somewhat close to some trees (looks like someone else had to force land here as well [see video]), but all is well that ends well. The mechanics told me it was a blown cylinder...sounded like it (Writer's Note: I do not know much about rotary engines, so this will have to do, lol)! Caught a ride back to Chocques and ready for the next day. I hear they took the motor out of that plane and replaced it for now.

Eighth mission 23 April AM...Beautiful day for flying! And an absolutely uneventful mission. As a matter of fact, I have not once seen any other aeroplane in the sky other than our flights.

Ninth mission 23 April PM...More good flying weather. Based on the recent successes of our bombing missions, Command decided on an attempt to bomb front line positions. Sometimes, I am willing to risk a low level bombing of an aerodrome, but low level trench bombing is nothing short of suicide by my estimation, especially as a leader of B flight with three aeroplanes. My observer, and one of the leaders of the squadron Captain Reinar has instructed me not to be so rash, so we kept it to the letter and bombed from about 7ooo feet, hitting absolutely nothing and adding a few more craters to the landscape. However, a mission with no mishaps is always a good mission!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tenth mission 24 April AM...An “art obs” mission, attempting to direct our artillery where to shoot. Weather holding nicely, but communication with ground leaves a lot to be desired. I should mention, this is the first time I have seen other aeroplanes that our not part of our flight. I believe they were French Moranes, and they were far away. They seemed to be heading away from us, but I had to stay in formation and eventually lost them in the distance.

[Linked Image]

Eleventh mission 24 April PM...Command has seemingly considered our bombing missions a success, so we once again were sent out to bomb, this time the front lines again. 'Bay' was leading us, and he scored the only hits (according to intell). Weather, and machines, holding nicely.

[Linked Image]

Twelfth mission 25 April AM...Another “art obs” mission with 'Bay' as lead for B flight. Got there, 'Bay' saw what he needed, got back. (Writer's Note: No pics somehow, but uneventful)

Thirteenth mission 25 April PM... A bona fide bombing mission, this time to Harboudin once again. Lieutenant Jack Alwin (fine chap) lead our flight today, and he choose a high altitude strike. Intell surveyed the situation later and reported that our bombs had hit some sheds...good show! But then, my engine failed to hold revs (once again), and we had to glide over the lines. Fortunately, I found a good spot to land, just inside of our front lines. Always fearful of enemy artillery smashing us to bits with a landing so close to the lines, Captain Reinard and I scrambled out of there into the relative safety of a thicket a few hundred yards away. So now three failed machines in only a few days time, with two of them going for no good reason...makes me think I should consider working on my own engines to make sure they are in tip top shape!

(Writer's Note: current stats at end of last video)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(...the saga continues!)

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4369895 - 07/18/17 09:31 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Fourteenth mission Monday 26 April AM...Another “art obs” over the lines near La Gorgue...a misty morning, and rather difficult to make things out on the ground, but otherwise uneventful.

[Linked Image]

Fifteenth mission Monday 26 April PM...A short mission to bomb the front lines just to the east of Loos, led by 'Bay'. We did not score any hits, and all flew back uneventfully. (no pics :/)

Sixteenth mission Tuesday 27 April AM...'Bay' was our B flight leader, and we were tasked to bomb the Harboudin aerodrome once again. The wind was gusty today, and I experienced a rather nasty stall that I did not recover from until after losing about 3ooo feet. I had to circle around a bit and get into position, but I managed to drop my bombs not long after 'Bay' dropped his.

Intell says we both scored hits.

[Linked Image]

I then gained some altitude as archie was a bit fierce, and then headed back for home. The winds were coming out of the west, so it was a bit of a challenge, but Captain Ben Halifax (good chap) and I (as his "chauffeur") made it, as I have been assigned to Captain Halifax (Captain Reinard is on well-deserved leave). (Writer's Note: after gaining some height, I decided to use “level flying autopilot” and realized a sobering thought: the level AI cannot handle flying the Morane L, especially in the wind [and maybe with JJJ65's awesome roll mod that I am using]. I lost altitude all the way west, to the point where I had to take the controls to maintain height. I really like that actually, because I have to pay attention!)

Seventeenth mission Tuesday 27 April PM...'Bay' and I once again piloted our aeroplanes for a bombing mission, this time over the front lines. No hits according to Intell. Also, I was denied leave...I could use some rest!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(...the saga continues!)

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by stljeffbb; 07/18/17 09:35 PM. Reason: just stuff ;)

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4370191 - 07/20/17 02:55 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
George Lyons
Sergeant
3 RFC
Chocques, Flanders
April 1915

Eighteenth mission Wednesday 28 April AM...An “art obs” mission to the front nearest our aerodrome. Uneventful, except is seems Jack Alwin's plane (our B flight leader) was having trouble getting to altitude, and our first pass by the front we were only at 4ooo feet. We circled back towards Loos and then made another pass at about 55oo feet, a little more of a safe height. (Writer's Note: No pictures or video, because I had taken the W10 creator's update and wanted to see if I could run WOFF:UE in regular W10 mode [instead of Windows 7 compatibility mode]. Program runs fine, however, my video capture program did not capture any of the action, just the pre and post screens. I did a quick test back in W7 compatibility mode, and video of the action was captured well...and also, I will now be writing a report for each mission as this suits my schedule a bit better)

[Linked Image]

-------------

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4370250 - 07/20/17 07:59 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
George Lyons
Sergeant
3 RFC
Chocques, Flanders
April 1915

Nineteenth mission Friday April 30 AM...I was given a 48 hour pass! Went into Loos...not a whole lot going on there.

[Linked Image]

Came back for our mission; not a bad day for flying, with haze and low clouds.

[Linked Image]

...assigned with 'Bay' to bomb the front lines, without result.

[Linked Image]

Captain Reinard seems to have chosen 'Bay' as his pilot, while I have now been assigned to Captain Halifax for the near term.

[Linked Image]

-------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4370465 - 07/22/17 04:51 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
George Lyons
Sergeant
3 RFC
Chocques, Flanders
April 1915

Twentieth mission Friday April 30 PM...A sad day for our squadron: 2nd Lieutenants Jem McAully and Todd Stanley were killed today as their aeroplane burned out. I noticed their plane leave the flight (led by 'Bay' and Reinard),

[Linked Image]

and it looked like they landed well, however, they must have been on fire and I could not see it. Our recce flight went over the lines and made our patrol not knowing their fate. On the way back, I spotted what I thought were two Aviatik crates

[Linked Image]

...however, they were two of ours upon further inspection.

[Linked Image]

Our hearts are heavy for Jem and Todd. They are the first, and hopefully last, deaths for our squadron since I arrived. A dreary way to enter May.

------------

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4370615 - 07/23/17 06:32 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
George Lyons
Sergeant
3 RFC
Chocques, Flanders
May 1915

Twenty-first mission Saturday May 1 AM...Our squad is still in grieving for the loss of our mates, but the war goes on.

[Linked Image]

An 'art obs' to the front with 'Bay', uneventful.

[Linked Image]

----------

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4370631 - 07/23/17 08:47 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Things are likely to pick up - eventually! Thanks for the report.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4370641 - 07/23/17 09:39 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
@ Buckeyebob....ha ha, yeah, it is likely be quite a while actually, mechanical failures notwithstanding! That is OK...I've read more than a few stories about pilots who started early, made it into 1917 or 1918, only to be eventually shot down. I believe Harvey-Kelly was one of those too, which, by the way, even though WOFF:UE has him as an "Historical Ace", I do not believe he shot down five planes. Still good to see him in the game for his historical significance (I never would have put it together he was the first Brit to land in France in WWI) nonetheless.

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by stljeffbb; 07/23/17 09:40 PM. Reason: Stuff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4370653 - 07/23/17 11:50 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
(Writer's Note: in response to last post, I should also mention that I am biding my time, hoping not to get killed, seeing how many missions/hours I need to get promoted, and then one day hope to be the highest rank so I may transfer to where I choose with what aeroplanes I choose...I could do this by selecting these options at the beginning of a career, but what fun would that be? wink )

Twenty-second mission Saturday May 1 PM...We led B Flight today over the front lines for some recce. Fairly quiet, and uneventful. (Writer's Note: a good pic of BuckeyeBob's great clouds!)

[Linked Image]

(...oops, I meant this one! wink )

[Linked Image]

Here are my stats up until now:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

------------------------

Regards,

Jeff

P.S. Just noticed that my status was changed to "rookie"....hmm, I wonder what that is about, lol?

Last edited by stljeffbb; 07/24/17 12:21 AM. Reason: Noticed I'm a rookie again! ;)

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4370762 - 07/24/17 06:08 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
In that first pic, you are right in the thick of the soup!

I am glad that you like using the cloud mod and that more and more people are integrating the weather into their after action reports!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4370766 - 07/24/17 06:21 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
@ BuckeyeBob....sure thing! I especially like the low cloud effect...looks a bit like smoke coming off of a battlefield at times

Regards,

Jeff

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4370770 - 07/24/17 06:35 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Yeah, it would be cool if I could figure out how to get that particular cloud effect at a particular place on the map or battlefield!

I know there is a setting for either "battle raging" or "all quiet on the western front." There are also files that contain the longitude and latitude of the front at various points in the war. I think there is also a setting that controls whether you see gas on the battlefield. If only I could combine this information and merge it into the DynamicWeather file. Hmmm.....

#4370840 - 07/25/17 03:18 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
George Lyons
Sergeant
3 RFC
Chocques, Flanders
May 1915

(Note: A two-fer!)

Twenty-third mission Sunday May 2 AM...My first bombing mission in a few days, this time to Houplin. Intell says we had a smashing success! (Note: airfield mod really adds much! smile )

My trick seems to work, lining up straight behind the flight leader. This will not work when I am the flight leader!

Twenty-fourth mission Sunday May 2 PM...Another bombing mission, this time to the front lines just east of Loos once again. This was a rare three crate flight, but none of us made any substantial damage to the entrenchments. Much more difficult to bomb the front lines.

[Linked Image]

(Note: and now for some attempts at his-res pics like Fullofit and many others...)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...I noticed a new type of aeroplane in front of the hangars...looked like a single seater.

[Linked Image]

--------------------------------------

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by stljeffbb; 07/25/17 03:18 AM. Reason: added a note

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4370850 - 07/25/17 05:44 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Thanks, Jeff, for your reports. Great reading thumbsup .

#4370889 - 07/25/17 01:16 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: JJJ65]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by JJJ65
Thanks, Jeff, for your reports. Great reading thumbsup .

Agree with you totally Triple J. Fantastic shots and reports Jeff.
I don't have a great deal of Time to fly much but when I do grab 5 I always look at your reports thumbsup

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4371188 - 07/27/17 03:10 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
@ JJJ65 and Adger...thanks for the encouragement! biggrin

George Lyons
Sergeant
3 RFC
Chocques, Flanders
May 1915

Twenty-fifth mission Monday May 3 AM...A bombing run to Douai this time, a new place for me. We were the B flight leader, and after discussions, we decided to go in low. Intell says our plane scored many hits, however, upon returning from the enemy side, Sgt Bill Falkland and Captain Reinard crash landed at a friendly field. They were OK, but their plane was completely destroyed.

[Linked Image]

-------

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by stljeffbb; 07/27/17 04:48 AM.

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
#4371311 - 07/27/17 07:24 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Call me crazy, but I love the Morane. It has such a good field of fire and even though it is slow as molasses, it is a stable and steady plane.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4371350 - 07/28/17 01:29 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Banjoman]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Originally Posted by Banjoman
Call me crazy, but I love the Morane. It has such a good field of fire and even though it is slow as molasses, it is a stable and steady plane.

Yeah, and I'm hoping they don't burn out as much as the BE2c! Fun to fly though, and reminds me of an ultralight.
pilot

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by stljeffbb; 07/28/17 01:29 AM.

Homebuilt Computer!
AsRock Z75 mobo
16 GB RAM
W10
Page 25 of 42 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 41 42

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles