Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4369433 - 07/16/17 09:04 AM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
Stickshaker Offline
Stickshaker  Offline

Netherlands
Runzel, you are right. Thanks for pointing me to the test tool. Got TriDef VR working now. I have mixed feelings about it. It is by no means real VR: moving your head does not alter the view from the cockpit and the area in which RoF is shown is so small that you nearly always see the TriDef background ‘desktop’ somewhere. But at least we can fly in RoF again until – hopefully – a definitive solution arrives – freeware or payware.
I use the following method for adjusting the view - just give it here as an option. I zoom out the ROF cockpit view as much as possible and set the size of the screen in TriDef VR at maximum. Then I set the screen distance as far as possible to get not only a good view of the instruments but also to the left and right, but still without seeing too much of the desktop. Finally, I set the curving of the screen so that the wings are not too bent but I still can look to the sides a bit without seeing too much of the desktop, and I center the view so that if I look forward, I see as little of the desktop as possible. The view may need to be adjusted after take-off since the fuselage is more or less horizontal, which is often not the case when the plane is sitting on the ground.
Flying Monkey, I am in the same boat as you: two computers in two different places, one VR, one non-VR. But I don’t have a big screen for the non-VR computer, so it is not really motivating to fly non-VR anymore.
Flying RoF again makes me realize once more what a splendid sim it is.
Best regards,
Stickshaker

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4369437 - 07/16/17 10:49 AM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Have to agree, used Tridef yesterday and came away feeling exactly the same.
It's not really VR, just a bigscreen type of app more suited to watching films than FPS or Sims. The earlier Tridef VR dev was for true VR, where you were placed in the 3d world.
This is more more a virtual wraparound fixed screen, no good for tracking enemy in a dog fight, if the enemy go above, below or behind you lose them.
Was soon frustrated at looking at the Tridef background when I looked up or down.

Might try Vorpx again with Reshade 3D, the screen moves with you head giving you a more realistic VR experience. Only issue I have with Vorpx was that I struggled to get the tracking synced which soon brought on nausea.
Opentrack seems to be a lot better now, so may be Vorpx will work a little better.

#4369440 - 07/16/17 11:31 AM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
Runzel Offline
Runzel  Offline

But i understand you did not use Opentrack together with TriDefVR?
The headtracking works really good, but i cant say for the Rift. One reason why i decided to go for the Vive was because the headtracking is not achieved with cameras which are more error-prone.

And why is the screen so small?!
If you look to the bottom of the Virtual desktop you should see 2 grey (near invisible) boxes that you can focus with the center of your headset and a menu should pop up which lets you adjust the screen to any size you want.

The big advantage of the VR goggles is that they completely replace TrackIR, give a big screen and 3d.
I needed some time to figure out the right settings, but now i honestly don't see a lot of difference to the "true" VR.

And if i may give another update.
The resolution of the headset is fixed, but there is supersampling, which as far as i understand, is some kind of antialiasing and provides a sharper image.
The used multiplier is hidden in a file, by default set to 1.0 and needed to be manipulated with an editor. No more!

"OpenVR-AdvancedSettings"
https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings

I ran it through my Comodo Antivir and used it in Sandbox mode. Seems clean and lot of VR sites and discussion boards promote it.
So if you havent, give it a try.

By default the "Application Supersampling" is at a Multiplier of 1.0.
You can adjust it in game to higher values and do not even have to restart the program to work. I use it at 3.0 and might crank it up to 3.5. (In theory this works "linear" and should give you 3 times the pixel you got before).
So if your computer can handle it you can make your vr headset next generation today.

I have ROF now just on 1 screen which i replace virtually and wrap it halfway around me. So all the processing power goes into the VR setting and not in the 3 screens i use normally. The Virtual screen covers more than my natural FOV and i have to turn my head in every direction like if i sat in a cockpit and wanted to look sideways, up or down.

Damn, i wish you guys would be like next door and i could show you. If you play this game in my place and tell me afterwards it is not bloody amazing i owe you a beer or two...
But i honestly beg you, don't give up too easy. It might be we differ in opinion, but what you describe is nowhere near what i got running here.

Edit:
Just saw you did resize the screen. I just added at picture of my TriDefVR settings that work for me best in 2560 x 1440 game resolution.
(Größe = Size; Entfernung = Distance)

And Steve, why do you loose track of the enemy? If you use opentrack you just have to insert values that make your view turn 180 degrees, while you turn your head only 90 degrees. Is the same with TrackIR i assume. Otherwise you would have lost your enemy then too. With TrackIR you cant turn your head 180 degrees and still see the screens in front of you.

Attached Files Screen Size.jpg
Last edited by Runzel; 07/16/17 11:56 AM. Reason: Attached Pic
#4369455 - 07/16/17 02:29 PM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Because If I'm going to have to set it up to mimic a screen and TrackIR set up I might as well get the benefit of my using my 34" high res monitor @3440x1440 and TIR and not use the Rift.

What Tridef offers is not VR it's an app presented in VR.
If the tridef screen moved with your head it would be so much more workable

#4369462 - 07/16/17 03:08 PM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
Runzel Offline
Runzel  Offline

I play lots of VR games and find the differences between VR and an app in VR in this setting (sitting experience, no roomscale) to be existent but minor. (I also got DCS and IL-2 BOS in VR to compare)

Of course you have a sharper image on a high res monitor. But i would always prefer the planes life-sized and in 3d.
The cockpit details, screws, metal badges etc. did not notice them as much in 2d on monitor.

It needs getting used to, but i consider the experience a much better one.
But to each his own smile

#4369474 - 07/16/17 04:51 PM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
I think the difference in opinion is you have come from a static 3 monitor view without TiR, so maybe you are more used to the restriction.
Whereas I have been using TIR for the last 10 years and have become very used to a 360 view by moving my head.
Looking up in Tridef and losing the screen was disconcerting. Essentilly we are looking at a static screen in VR.
Having that screen move with the HMD tracking would make all the difference.

#4369537 - 07/17/17 01:47 AM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Yep, I agree with Steve_F, for me the difference between a big static virtual screen in VR and a proper VR view is huge - I'm only happy because at least I can play WOFF/ROF with that as opposed to not playing at all, but that's still not fulfilling my dream of WW1 flying in VR.

Too bad I'm going to spend my time tinkering with the Gunfighter Pro instead of coding that VR support instead, I wonder who is to blame for that... Just kidding (mostly), my motivation will probably be even greater now that I'll have that stick to use in RoF/WOFF

#4369581 - 07/17/17 08:32 AM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Might have to delay sending that stick.
I'm holding hostage until you show us something workable in RoF smile

Reinstalled Vorpx yesterday to try out with reshade 3d and Opentrack with no success, Reshade and Vorpx are incompatible and crash RoF.
Tried it without reshade and got some promising results, head tracking was in sync although very jittery.
Going to play with Opentrack settings to see if that can be smoothed out.

#4370324 - 07/21/17 12:16 PM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
Stickshaker Offline
Stickshaker  Offline

Netherlands
I also think Steve is correct. But, Runzel, I am glad for you that it is such an improvement from your perspective. And it can only get better in the future, if fate (or FlyingMonkey or Steve) smiles at us.
Best regards,
Stickshaker

#4383674 - 10/07/17 10:23 AM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
Stickshaker Offline
Stickshaker  Offline

Netherlands
Dear FlyingMonkey and Steve,
Far from wanting to rush anything, I was just curious whether you were able to make any progress in getting VR to work? Or did you not have any time to work on it?
Best regards,
Stickshaker

#4383691 - 10/07/17 02:07 PM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Baby is definitely keeping me from doing any progress - these days if I have any spare/down time I'd rather fly than code (but even that doesn't happen much). I don't think I'll be able to do any progress for a little while still. I'll definitely keep you updated when I finally go back to working on that.

#4383825 - 10/08/17 01:13 PM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
Stickshaker Offline
Stickshaker  Offline

Netherlands
FlyingMonkey, I hope the baby is giving you and your partner much happiness. We will wait patiently.
Best regards,
Stickshaker

#4383949 - 10/09/17 03:13 AM Re: VR Support [Re: Stickshaker]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I might be short on spare time but certainly not on happiness. Baby is now 5 months old and she's at a stage where she keeps giggling all the time, so she must be feeling the same way!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.