Hop To
#4365373 - 06/22/17 12:31 AM Silent Hunter 5 Questions  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Hey folks. I'd like to really give SH5 a go. I bought it cheap on Steam some years ago but the only time I ever ran it, it ran like pure trash out of the "box" to the point it was almost too broken to navigate the menus even. If I understand correctly mods have come to the rescue for this particular title? I own and love SH3 and SH4 so I'm pretty familiar with modding and tweaking. I've tried twice in the past year to get my boxed copy of SH3 to run on my Windows 7 while trying to avoid the installation of StarForce to no avail. I desperately want to play Grey Wolves mod and introduce my nephew to it but my hard copy just refuses to let me install it using the community work arounds. Nothing works and the first time I attempted this I got hit with a nasty virus that bamboozled me and my PC for months and months. From my understanding it helps to get the newer digital copy they released later that's available on Subsim? Sorry for the side track.

My main question is, does anyone know of necessary steps to get the Steam version up and running out of the box cleanly? Like I said the only time I ever installed it, it barely ran with all kinds of performance bugs and graphical glitches. I've been reading and apparently the only step I need to do is go into the game folder and run the updater to make sure its updated to the latest version? Or is there some sort of community patch that I need.

Second question is, what are some must have mods for this that anyone would suggest for either just environment and graphics or even a total overhaul/campaign mod?

I will also probably install SH4 again. That being said, is the best allied campaign still Trigger Maru Overhaul? Because I'm out of luck with SH3 right now, what's the best U-boat campaign mod for SH4+Expansion?

Thank you for your time and any suggestions.

Last edited by Coot; 06/22/17 12:34 AM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4365409 - 06/22/17 07:47 AM Re: Silent Hunter 5 Questions [Re: Coot]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I don't recall having any problems running vanilla SH5. Maybe there was a patch that sorted out those issues you had. Steam will always install the latest version anyway.

As for mods, Wolves of Steel is very good but if I recall correctly it doesn't work on the Steam version. Best head over to Subsim and see what they have.

If you are a seasoned SH3/4 player you certainly won't like SH5's dumbed down interface but there are plenty of mods to solve that.

*edit* It looks like Wolves of Steel will run on the Steam version but looks a PITA to set it up http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2266214&postcount=161

Last edited by Chucky; 06/22/17 07:50 AM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4365554 - 06/22/17 06:21 PM Re: Silent Hunter 5 Questions [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Thanks Chucky. I noticed that last night while searching around about Wolves of Steel. Its kind of opposite of my SH3 problem. It looks like to get passed most problems I know need to buy a newer, digital copy of SH3 to easily get it to work on a newer system to enjoy just the game itself and for the Grey Wolves Expansion and that I need a potentially non-Steam boxed copy of SH5 to more easily install and enjoy SH5 lol. Being a simmer is fatiguing.

Thankfully, fingers crossed it looks like the Vanilla game is working okay compared to the last time I tried. I notice some bad stutter when I go from inside to outside or visa versa but it usually clears after a few seconds of moving the camera around. Is there a fix for that or is it just something to live with? I realize and actually appreciate the cinematic/rpg treatment they were trying to give it and I wonder if the sort of cinematic moments are causing it?

I haven't spent much time with it but what do you mean by the dumbed down interface? I started it last night and the main control panel looks pretty good. However are there not individual stations now? Like I said I don't have much time in it yet so its all still pretty new to me. I do love being able to walk around the sub thought, that's pretty awesome. I think my best bet is just to add a few small mods.

What do you think about Open Horizons II? That looks like another option. Thanks for your reply and because it looks like I won't be able to just install the Wolves of Steel mega mod, does anyone recommend any must haves? I've spent a few hours hunting around Subsim but aside from their list, I'm just curious as from players of the previous titles what might be the best mods to try to simply bring the vanilla game up closer to the original's standards.

#4365568 - 06/22/17 07:17 PM Re: Silent Hunter 5 Questions [Re: Coot]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I just felt that after SH4 the UI of SH5 felt limited. I can't remember which mod I used now,it's been a while since I played. Probably TheDarkWraith's UI mod. Sorry,never tried Open Horizons.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4365574 - 06/22/17 07:40 PM Re: Silent Hunter 5 Questions [Re: Coot]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Coot

I will also probably install SH4 again. That being said, is the best allied campaign still Trigger Maru Overhaul?

I would say yes, TMO is my favorite. Real Fleet Boat is also good, but if I had to choose one I would go with TMO. I feel it's more complete, more polished.

Because I'm out of luck with SH3 right now, what's the best U-boat campaign mod for SH4+Expansion?

I really enjoy Operation Monsun for sailing German boats in SH4. I did a AAR thread some time back. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Well it was easier finding it at Subsim where I also posted it. More condensed anyway since I got a lot fewer comments!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215991

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4365624 - 06/23/17 01:15 AM Re: Silent Hunter 5 Questions [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Thanks Chucky and DBond. Much appreciated. beercheers

#4365731 - 06/23/17 09:08 PM Re: Silent Hunter 5 Questions [Re: Coot]  
Evil Flower Offline
Evil Flower  Offline

Eslöv, Sverige
I always thought SH5 had the nicest interface of the lot, except for Silent Hunter 1.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.