Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#4360055 - 05/29/17 02:58 PM Which space sim do I want?  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
So I've never really done the space genre. But would like to. I don't know which game I should be looking at however.

I have a fast box, a Cougar and a Track IR. I do not have a good set of pedals, but am looking. My TM Elites, I hate 'em. So they no longer get used.

Some things I would want (or not)

-- Great graphics
-- Sense of discovery and awe
-- Sense of accomplishment or purpose to actions.
-- Little grinding
-- No pay to win. Which games don't require me to buy the better ships?
-- Depth. Hundreds of hours of gameplay without feeling like I am just doing the same things over an over
-- Good first person gameplay. Which ones have the best flight/combat from a 'pit?
-- Single player. I'm fine playing online, do it all the time. But I don't want my 100 hours of progress ended because some dude killed me when I spawned. So online is fine perhaps, as long as there are no griefers

Which game do you think most closely fits? I want a lot of cool factor. I want to fly around an be amazed.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4360058 - 05/29/17 03:13 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Rodnarok Offline
Rodnarok  Offline

Columbus, OH
Elite:Dangerous hits most of the points you listed.
You can play privately, so no griefers. The grinding is a possible factor, but you can choose to grind as much as you want.

But as far as "sense of wonder" graphics and good combat, it's probably the best out there right now,

Plus, there is a dedicated "combat arena" module if you just want to get your pew-pew on. smile

PS: I've been really enjoying your F4 AARs. Very inspiring as I get back into that massive sim.

-Rod

We don't stop playing because we get old,
we get old because we stop playing.
- Geo. Bernard Shaw
#4360063 - 05/29/17 03:33 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks man. And thanks for the comment about the AARs, I'm glad you like them. Join our discussion in the Falcon forum.

The biggest knock on ED that I've read, and I've been following for a long time, is that it is awesome at first, but before long the sheen wears off as you see that the gameplay is so repetitive and a grind. I know they are always improving it and perhaps this aspect has been fleshed out more and there are more options, more varied gameplay.

#4360082 - 05/29/17 05:16 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
My first thought was E:D too.But quite honestly,if you want all your boxes ticked,well that game doesn't exist,at least as far as I know.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4360088 - 05/29/17 05:35 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
tn_prvteye Offline
Captain Awesome
tn_prvteye  Offline
Captain Awesome

Nash'Vegas, TN, USA
If you find it, let me know. biggrin

But for now Elite is probably closest.

The Evochron series is good, too...but nowhere near the scale of Elite. It still can be fun, and quite impressive considering it's done by ONE guy.

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/

"Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."
-Dwight D Eisenhower
#4360091 - 05/29/17 05:56 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: Chucky]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Chucky
My first thought was E:D too.But quite honestly,if you want all your boxes ticked,well that game doesn't exist,at least as far as I know.

Well, no, just which one most closely fits, as mentioned. I've been around this long enough to know my perfect game does not exist, but Falcon 4 BMS comes close smile

#4360111 - 05/29/17 08:28 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
-- Great graphics
ED. Just don't play in VR as it loses a lot of the detail
-- Sense of discovery and awe
ED again, although it gets stale after a while. Unless you go on those month-long trips into the great unknown biggrin
-- Sense of accomplishment or purpose to actions.
Depends how you define this really. For me, it was having a great hangar of ships, which meant a lot of grinding, trading, little combat.
-- Little grinding
See above. But it really depends on what you want. You can have a great pew-pew or exploring ship with minimal grinding. Heck, I could give you the credits to jump-start your career!
-- No pay to win. Which games don't require me to buy the better ships?
ED. Buy the game (base plus Horizons), and that's it. The rest is up to you! As opposed to EVE Online which requires subscription
-- Depth. Hundreds of hours of gameplay without feeling like I am just doing the same things over an over
Not very much. It's sandbox, so no story (yet) outside of what you want to do.
-- Good first person gameplay. Which ones have the best flight/combat from a 'pit?
ED in VR. OMG!!
-- Single player. I'm fine playing online, do it all the time. But I don't want my 100 hours of progress ended because some dude killed me when I spawned. So online is fine perhaps, as long as there are no griefers
Play "solo" or "group" in ED and you can play SP or with a group of friends. The AI will cause enough grief biggrin

Which game do you think most closely fits? I want a lot of cool factor. I want to fly around an be amazed.
Having said that, take a look at Everspace as well... pretty good and fun, rogue-like, but mouse-keyboard controls.

- Ice
#4360112 - 05/29/17 08:35 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Ice. Spent a little while reading Steam reviews...yeah yeah, but there isn't much I can find on the current state of the game. Plenty of reviews, from 2 years ago. From what you can gather in Steam reviews, it's seems that the same complaints about 'mile wide, inch deep' and lots of grinding still exist.

Even if I got a hundred hours out of it I would be fine with that.

What about Star Citizen? What's the community's take on that one?

I might just give ED a go. I know my son would think it's cool, and I probably would too for a while anyway.

#4360114 - 05/29/17 08:42 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

SC is in an even worse state AFAIK. If ED is a "mile wide, inch deep," I'd say SC is "inch wide, mm deep" biggrin

There are a LOT of things do do in ED that isn't grinding, but then again, it really depends on your definition of "grinding." Running trade routes over and over and over and over may be grinding if you are saving up credits for your next expensive module. It isn't grinding if you are playing the life of a trader... having to go to RES sites to increase your local faction rep by pew-pewing bad guys may be considered grinding from the trader's point of view.

Tell you what --- give us THREE things you'd want to do in a space sim and we'll see if ED can scratch that itch.

Oh, and X3 (AP, TC, R) is another space game that was a lot of fun for me, but I never really played it for very long... so it's on my list of games to revisit.

- Ice
#4360117 - 05/29/17 08:55 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Answer me these questions THREE, and ED you may see biggrin

What do I want to do? Hmm....

1. Feel like a space ship pilot/commander. You know how BMS makes you feel like a Viper pilot? That.

2. Explore. That sense of wonder and awe. Wide eyed.

3. Enjoy what I am doing to achieve numbers one and two

Since I'm new to space sims, what else might I want to do? biggrin

#4360118 - 05/29/17 09:02 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

1. Feel like a space ship pilot/commander. You know how BMS makes you feel like a Viper pilot? That.
Pilot, yes. Commander, not so much. Felt more like a commander in X3 with a fleet of ships under my control. Heaven help you if you try ED in VR.... a fighter cockpit is so much smaller, then you go to the big ships with a proper bridge... jawdrop
2. Explore. That sense of wonder and awe. Wide eyed.
Have a read of the explorer's experiences in the ED sub-forum. Have a look at the ED screenshot thread in the screenshot sub-forum. Even without that, just flying into an a planet's rings so that you can start mining is such a cool experience.
3. Enjoy what I am doing to achieve numbers one and two
Preference. See my example about grinding above.

Some screenshots from my old ED games. Note that I've not played ED in a while... I revisited it recently but haven't dug in extensively. Should have a lot more cool features now.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My biggest ship in the game:
[Linked Image]

- Ice
#4360189 - 05/30/17 11:43 AM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Cool shots. I think I'll pick it up and give it a go. What are the essentials? Which version should I buy? Do I want any of the extras? The base game is $29 on Steam, and they are selling a Pilot's pack, a Commander's pack and some other DLC stuff. What's the scoop with those?

#4360272 - 05/30/17 04:39 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I would've advised you to buy directly from the devs.... I just like the idea that they get 100% of my money and no middle-man involved.

Horizons is basically your DLC. It adds a lot of new things to Elite.
Pilot Pack, Commander Pack, etc. are just additional skins for your aircraft, bobbleheads, ship kits, etc. Basically cosmetic enhancements or "bling."

You will want to buy the base game plus Horizons. You can buy them separately, or buy the CMDR Deluxe Edition (base, Horizons, Commander pack [bling]). Anything else you want would be bling items and would be up to you! biggrin

- Ice
#4360273 - 05/30/17 05:01 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Tthanks Ice. I did the first couple of training missions and docked the thing first go. Just did a simple map of some basic control in-game. It's cool, and for me, different. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll pick up Horizons and do some more of the training.

#4360282 - 05/30/17 05:28 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

What do you want to do?

Do you want to explore the stars and go beyond the fringes of habitable space?
Do you want to patrol systems, looking for pirates to kill?
Do you want to harrass systems, looking for easy prey and avoiding the po-po?
Do you want to gain riches by blasting space rock?
Do you want to gain riches by buying low and selling high?
Do you want to roam the galaxy looking for ways to help people and supplying their needs?

It's a sandbox and your story is what you make it.

Some advice --- don't try the game on VR. Just don't. For your sake. Keep away.
biggrin

- Ice
#4360292 - 05/30/17 05:56 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
For me and some of my online Buddies, ED continues to scratch an itch and provides endless hours of fun..even when I complain about the grind, I can't wait to get back to it. I think some people are just wired with different REWARD circuits.

I used to fly a lot of BMS, mostly online with friends and the Social part was as much as the flight sim part so I totally get the appeal. One big difference between BMS and ED is the MISSION/CAMPAIGN aspect vs the SANDBOX aspect. In BMS, the joy was in planning the mission, flying the mission, succeeding in the mission and furthering the campaign. The objectives were CLEAR, the EXECUTION might have surprises and the pressure was always on.

ED is more like... JUMP IN AND DO WHAT YOU WANT. Yes there are little missions involved, but nothing with the sense of PLANNING and ACCOMPLISHMENT of BMS. On one hand, if you are the type who loves to PLAN and EXECUTE, you might find ED unsatisfying, but if you want to JUMP IN and experience a bunch of different things, without much of the overhead, ED is fun. Of course there are grindy things like ENGINEERS where a degree of planning and resource gathering is necessary. And there is a BACKGROUND SIMULATION allowing you to get into the political underpinnings of the Galaxy if that interests you.

Simplistically, the mechanics of ED are: DO LOTS OF STUFF TO MAKE MONEY SO YOU CAN BUY A BETTER SHIP TO DO THAT STUFF A LITTLE BETTER OR FASTER AND MAKE MORE MONEY TO BUY A BETTER SHIP etc.. etc... This is where eventually people get tired. The challenge wears off somewhat when you achieve the big bank account and fleet of ships...unless you have that odd reward circuit that makes you go after it again and again.

The social aspects are great!! The Private Group mode allows you to experience great Multiplayer and avoid the PVP griefers. I never would have lasted in ED without more experienced friends to help me along. Combat is something we tend to like, and the quickest way to START making money in the game is going out with a Wing of friends Bounty Hunting for credits. When you start out, your ship is pitiful for just about ANYTHING. Too small for trading, to under-powered for Combat, legs too short for exploration, but get shepherded along by your more experienced friends with their big bad combat ships, and you can quickly trade up to better ships and open up the possibilities.

We often meet up on Teamspeak and sometimes we are hundreds of light years apart doing different things, and it is still fun to talk in real time and swap tips and trick. Other times, Winged up and clubbing baby seals (Pirates) together for the cash and camaraderie...

Just my $0.02 after 900+ hours according to STEAM....

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4360301 - 05/30/17 06:20 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the insight Recluse. A couple of others I've flown BMS with, Mac and Osiris, also play ED. I see you guys on SimHQ's Team Speak.

I'll join you at some point, but I'm just an hour in.

If you've got 900 hours there must be something to it eh? I'll be happy with a third of that. Who knows, maybe I'll love it. I enjoyed the little training I did, and it runs beautifully on my box. Looks fantastic. Now to figure out how to start making some money and working toward a better ship.

#4360303 - 05/30/17 06:30 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Yep.. I recently "met" Mac and Osiris on the channel during a recent Community Goal... Whenever you want to Wing UP for some Bounty Hunting, I am sure you will find many willing to accommodate you!! Every week a new set of "Community Goals" arrives. Often there are Bounty Hunting goals. At the end, there is BIG money to be made based on your contribution, and, just starting out, even a relatively SMALL contribution will get you more credits than you are likely to see any other way!

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4360319 - 05/30/17 07:15 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Elite is kind of fun but it doesnt scratch the space game itch for me. The controls are a bit wonky with the way they do the slow yaw control and optimal turn at 50% throttle. Also everything feels cookie cutter. There are billions of systems and they are all the same with the same 10 space stations and same 20 ships doing the same 5 things.

But... it IS the only real space game out there right now. There are several single player games out there but most of them are more action than sim.

DCS Space
http://store.steampowered.com/app/366000/Rogue_System/

Action shooterish
http://store.steampowered.com/app/396750/EVERSPACE/

Another 3rd person space action game
http://store.steampowered.com/app/366000/Rogue_System/

xwing meets homeworld
http://store.steampowered.com/app/283160/House_of_the_Dying_Sun/

3rd person but with campaign
http://store.steampowered.com/app/419480/Starpoint_Gemini_Warlords/

3rd person 5v5 multiplayer
http://store.steampowered.com/app/310380/Fractured_Space/

probably the best space game every made
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/Kerbal_Space_Program/

one of the best space series noone knows about
http://store.steampowered.com/app/398170/Evochron_Legacy/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/369530/Void_Destroyer_2/

multiplayer FTL but with worst graphics...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/252870/PULSAR_Lost_Colony/

If you made it this far in the post... just get Elite...

#4360333 - 05/30/17 08:22 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Also some of the SimHQ guys have a discord channel we use to meet up for and etc. Currently playing Elite on there.

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4317259/1

direct channel link
https://discord.gg/0m2XEcx3ywjsGkFt

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.