Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
#4364478 - 06/17/17 02:22 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks. I didn't realize the interdictor entered out of control. It's seems they are able to open fire pert quick on me!

When I have hold full of valuable goods I don't want to risk getting away after submitting. If I'm in the Vulture I'll submit all day long. Let's play. But in one of my mission runners I evade and continue on my merry way.

So last night I was running missions and flew to east gabumfeck to a planetary outpost to deliver some stuff. Now I think I'm pretty good at docking. I come in at fairly high speed inverted, then just before touch down I drop the gear, throttle back, flip over and flare and you know, the butterfly-with-sore-feet sort of stuff biggrin Nuttin' to it right? One of my favorite parts of the game.

So I was doing so at this outpost and I went to flare and my nose came up, but the ass end kept dropping. Wham! I slammed in to the blast shield. What the...? I throttled forward and thrustered down. Wham! I bounced off the pad and glanced off the control tower as I panicked and gave it too much gas. What the ...?

I got it under control and gently lifted away and came 'round to try again. Clock is ticking you know.

Then someone says something like be advised you're in a high-G environment. Umm, yup, that 'splains it. 2.09 G.

Now I know to look at the G meter biggrin

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4364489 - 06/17/17 03:48 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm gonna go off-tangent here for a second. You guys are all obviously space genre fans. So last night I admit I was a little bored with ED so I hopped on Steam and had a look about and the game Prey caught my eye. Has anyone played it? What are your thoughts? I played System Shock 2 back in the day. Big LGS fan. The reviews are glowing on this game. I liked Dishonored as well. Looks like a winner but thought I'd get some opinions here. It's full price at the mo.

#4364492 - 06/17/17 04:15 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I think if you're in a system where you can't get back to station in under 7 minutes, well, there are better systems out there. On an outpost that is 600,000LS from the star, well, it'll be quicker to jump to another system and dock in one of their stations! Also be sure to check out station distance from stars before accepting a mission... sometimes it's just not worth it smile

As for interdicting, yeah. Best to submit and sometimes, it's actually faster than doing the mini-game. As to knowing who is behind you, keep an eye on your sensors while in SC. You will see the interdictor making his way behind you, so you can cycle through your contacts to check what ship he's in, level, etc. But again, it's a moot point as I always submit and run anyway.

As for high-G, never been in those systems yet or even if I had, well, Docking Computer smile Just wish I could change the music...

- Ice
#4364496 - 06/17/17 04:35 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I could check distance but that's not gonna happen. I just grab the high paying ones and head off. It's funny, I had taken 2 or 3 missions together. The first one was 170,000 LS and I was like OK, that was a long flight. I jump to the next location and see it's 600,000. Good grief. Took more than 20 minutes I'm sure. But the goods got delivered.

#4364510 - 06/17/17 06:41 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
I always check distances to the station before taking missions. Unless it is VERY lucrative, I will decline any mission where the station is more than 3-5000 light seconds out. I prefer starports to planetary landings as well. Sometimes if the system map is unavailable, I will check one of the 3rd party tools, or sometimes just take a chance. Sometimes very high paying missions (Passenger) end up going to one of these far off stations and I will take them if I can stack multiple ones to the same destination.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4364511 - 06/17/17 06:48 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Yep. Sometimes, 3-4 low-paying missions will net your more profit compared to one high-paying mission that has a long supercruise distance over the same amount of time. Not 100% sure, but those 3-4 missions may also end up with bigger rep increases than the single mission.

- Ice
#4364513 - 06/17/17 07:12 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
On the plus side it enabled me to set a new supercruise speed record smile

What sucks is seeing the speed start to drop and you're still 50,000 LS away lol.

#4364611 - 06/18/17 01:44 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I need a new goal.

One goal I do have is to get in to Sol, and now that I've started running transport missions, the rep is starting to increase more quickly. Still a ways to go for that.

So a new goal means a new ship. If you guys were at the 'have a Cobra, Vulture and AspX' stage, where would you go next? Whatever I go for it's a huge hop. For example two ships I am considering are the Python and the FAS. I have hardly any Empire rank right now so those ships are way out of reach for the mo. To get either of those ships kitted out to an effective level means 100 mil easy right? I have 11 mil without selling anything. I should probably sell the Cobra as the other two ships I have do all of the stuff better.

I love flying the Vulture, but I wish it had more hardpoints and was faster. It seems the FAS is pretty much this -- a faster, harder hitting Vulture. Worse shields, heavier hull but nimble so I'm leaning toward a FAS. The AspX is fine for filling the exploration, transport and trade roles for a while. So looking more for a better combat ship. I realize there are some who would argue that I already have that in the Vulture.

Where did you guys go from here?

#4364622 - 06/18/17 02:42 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Well for pure combat the FAS is the next logical step. I waited quite awhile and piled up a lot more credits before taking that step. I was also interested in mining and the cobra was satisfactory but not great. The Asp makes a great mner but was better suited to other roles. I bought a type 6 to do a trade CG where I only had my Combat ship for a BH CG at the same place. It is cheap and I had enough that it was basically disposable. Not as good a cargo ship as the Asp but cheap. Eventually I turned it into my mining ship. That was my fleet for a very long time. FAS, Asp, Type 6 along with the Cobras and Vulture I couldn't bear to part with.

Later came the FGS and the Python. You have condensed probably a year of my progress into a month or two!

Last edited by Recluse; 06/18/17 02:44 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4364645 - 06/18/17 05:24 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Sitting on 50 million and change currently. Looking at either a Python or some variant of the Fed ships. I've got the coin to buy, just don't think I have enough to properly kit out and keep some insurance $ in reserve. My Vulture is about maxxed out module wise since I only run beams on it.

#4364649 - 06/18/17 06:06 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Depends on what you want to do. For strictly pew-pew, then FAS. For anything else, Python.

However, I'd like you to consider this --- The Python costs 57M credits. To properly A-rate a ship, you should double or triple the cost of the ship, so in this case, another 100M-150M, for a total of 157M-207M credits. Now obviously you don't have to have all of that on-hand straight away, but the bottom line is you're looking at spending that much on the ship eventually. So the all-important question --- How are you grinding credits for this?

To the guys who are still playing, what would you say your credit output or earnings per hour is? And what are you doing for this income (ie, BH on RES sites, running missions)?

- Ice
#4364650 - 06/18/17 06:13 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: Bohemond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted by Bohemond
Sitting on 50 million and change currently. Looking at either a Python or some variant of the Fed ships. I've got the coin to buy, just don't think I have enough to properly kit out and keep some insurance $ in reserve. My Vulture is about maxxed out module wise since I only run beams on it.

What are you looking to do? Just BH or other stuff too? The ASP Explorer is an excellent multipurpose ship (everything EXCEPT Combat, IMHO, but it can hold its own in a pinch) if you want to start exploring/cargo or passenger hauling/surface prospecting.

My FAS (requires Fed Petty officer rank, I think) is worth about 79 million, acc. to coriolis, but I definitely bought and outfitted it at an LYR system for the 15% discount!

Interesting that I don't seem to ever have gotten around to A-rating the shields. The 5 million credit pricetag might have been more than I wanted to spend at the time..

Recluse_FAS

Last edited by Recluse; 06/18/17 06:16 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4364651 - 06/18/17 06:21 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted by - Ice
Depends on what you want to do. For strictly pew-pew, then FAS. For anything else, Python.

However, I'd like you to consider this --- The Python costs 57M credits. To properly A-rate a ship, you should double or triple the cost of the ship, so in this case, another 100M-150M, for a total of 157M-207M credits. Now obviously you don't have to have all of that on-hand straight away, but the bottom line is you're looking at spending that much on the ship eventually. So the all-important question --- How are you grinding credits for this?

To the guys who are still playing, what would you say your credit output or earnings per hour is? And what are you doing for this income (ie, BH on RES sites, running missions)?

My biggest moneymaker is Passenger missions! At the home station where I am Friendly/Allied with everyone I can stack multiple Passenger Transport missions (SHORT HOPS!!!!) for maybe 5-6 million in a half hour run. As I drop them off I can often find similarly priced missions and I just keep shuttling back and forth. Probably 10 million an hour or so. For awhile, I was just quitting after 5 million in an evening, but then the Passenger missions seemed to DOUBLE and I could get them for 2 million where previously 1-1.5 was the max. Was doing these in the ASP, but once I got the Python, I could put in even MORE large cabins and stack more missions...

PEW PEW Bounty Hunting is the next largest moneymaker, but probably "only" 4-5 million per hour with a good instance...often much less, especially when NOT in a wing.

Last edited by Recluse; 06/18/17 06:22 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4364652 - 06/18/17 06:26 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: Recluse]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
I BH 95%, explore a little on the side. I just started doing some missions, mostly data and some unique material deliveries. In fact, just got my first Fed rank last nite. I'd like something a little more capable than my Vulture if the desire strikes me to branch out a little more. I'm thinking the Python should fit that bill rather nicely?

#4364654 - 06/18/17 06:35 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
The Python will fit the bill, but as -ICE said, it will get EXPENSIVE to fully kit out for Combat. It is another great Multi-role ship with prodigious capacity for just about ANYTHING, Good Combat ship AND only needs a Medium landing pad which means you can go ANYWHERE...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4364656 - 06/18/17 06:43 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: Recluse]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM

Originally Posted by Recluse
The Python will fit the bill, but as -ICE said, it will get EXPENSIVE to fully kit out for Combat. It is another great Multi-role ship with prodigious capacity for just about ANYTHING, Good Combat ship AND only needs a Medium landing pad which means you can go ANYWHERE...

Yup, that's what I figured. I figure I'll grind out another 10 or so million while upping my Fed rank and decide then. Thanks for the input, guys!
<S>

Last edited by Bohemond; 06/18/17 06:45 PM. Reason: Double quote
#4364660 - 06/18/17 07:10 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ice, like I mentioned I think the AspX does all of the roles aside from combat well enough. So I think combat is what I want my next ship to be good at.

Here's the thing with the Vulture.... it is an amazing dogfighter, and has fantastic shields. But, if the shields do happen to get shot away, there isn't much protection underneath, even with a bunch of hull reinforcements. This is compounded with the fact that it's top speed and boosted speed just aren't all that fast. So if you get to the point where you're taking hull damage, and you want to disengage, it doesn't have the speed to do so reliably. So while things are going good in combat it's awesome, but as soon as it all goes to sh!t it's in big trouble. So that's why I am looking at the FAS, because it's like a Vulture on steroids. Almost as nimble, hits harder and can take more punishment. AND, it has the speed to get away from most things that are stronger. It just looks terrible. Same with the Vulture. I wish these things looked more like say an Eagle. Maybe it's canon or lore and that's how Elite ships are supposed to look. But virtually every ship design's outward appearance leaves me underwhelmed. But I rarely actually see my ship aside from Outfitting. So it really doesn't matter. I just wish the designs were cooler, or at least my interpretation of what that means smile

As for making money.... I guess at this stage I make about 2 million per hour give or take. It's a combination of bounty hunting, mission running (especially boom time deliveries) and transport missions. I often fill the hold with some 'imports' for the destination to turn a bit more profit. Lately it's been mostly transport, especially rich tourist transport, which pays decent and gives good rep to keep working on Fed rank.

Bohemond, if you've got 50 million you're in a good position, close to the new ship. I think I would need about 100 million to get a python or a FAS up to a good level. I'm still undecided myself, but I think that the cargo/internal space on the AspX is more than enough for me. Trade isn't my thing and I don't need to carry 200 tons or whatever. The Asp X has 84 ton capacity in my 'cargo' loadout and that's plenty for what I want to do. This is what is making me lean toward the FAS instead of the Python. Python would be a far better mission runner or hauler no doubt. But as I mentioned earlier the thought of a Vulture on steroids sounds great

#4364661 - 06/18/17 07:10 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Why wait for the Python when you can fit out a Cobra or Asp **NOW** and start branching out sooner rather than later?

As for money making, I'll need to do a few trade runs soon to get a feel of how much it can output per hour...

- Ice
#4364663 - 06/18/17 07:23 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: Recluse]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Recluse

Later came the FGS and the Python. You have condensed probably a year of my progress into a month or two!

Well, I've played a lot as you've noticed haha. Part of it might be that the Vulture used to be a 20 million credit buy, right? It's less than 5 million now. That's a lot of money at that stage of the game. Plus Ice's SAP netted me like 1.5 million for a tricked out Cobra on like my third day playing thumbsup

Last edited by DBond; 06/18/17 07:27 PM.

#4364664 - 06/18/17 07:28 PM Re: Which space sim do I want? [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
No, the stock Vulture was always around 5 million (IIRC). Around 20-25 when kitted out. Took me what seemed like FOREVER to make my first million...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.