Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4359357 - 05/25/17 02:59 AM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Northern New Hampshire, USA
Originally Posted by Ace_Pilto
ADD kiddie airquake games. If we stop buying trash

Aces High is no "ADD kiddie Airquake" product and is far, far from "trash". However, I agree that there are far too many "ADD kiddie Airquake" products out there, but Aces High is NOT one of them. WOFF and other top end air combat flight sims owe their existence to classic products like Air Warrior and Aces High.

Last edited by Buff1; 05/25/17 03:01 AM.
#4359363 - 05/25/17 05:17 AM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Aces High has one of the best flight models around. The author of the game, 'Hitech', flew the real p51. The flight model is very authentic, the high speed fights and energy combat managment in Aces High is unparalleled. The sense of speed is superb.

When 2 planes head on each other, you can realy tell they are going 250 mph because they just ZOOOOOOOOM past each other, you can make all the moves you would expect in reality and they just feel authentic.

Games like WOFF and AH can co-exist happily, because one is Singleyplayer and one Multiplayer.

#4359371 - 05/25/17 08:07 AM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Here you can have a peek of action from latest version and decide for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrZWtvOdMns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znajmWexAqU

What I love about AH, is that energy planes like p47, 190, p38 are actualy playable because the game models energy and speed so well.

#4359373 - 05/25/17 08:47 AM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzPC2djGkHE

from 0:25

that superb ultra realistic move,,,, not many flight sims let this kind of realism, from the point of disadvantage to the point of advantage, this is what set aparts good flight sims from bad ones, that they allow to do such things like in real life.

Aces High is criminaly underrated nowdays, and needs way more people, that's why we all need to support it on steam! If someone likes flight sims and he has is steam user there is no reason why he wouldn't press the 'yes' button for this

#4359430 - 05/25/17 03:35 PM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: JimBobb]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

It's a moot point.... Steam just pick up and announced Aces High is now available through Steam. I'll be VERY curious to see how many more people are in the game over the next few days... Just for completeness, I'll keep some updates on this thread and I'm sure JimBobb will !

Rick

#4359531 - 05/26/17 05:57 AM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: Buff1]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Originally Posted by Buff1
It's a moot point.... Steam just pick up and announced Aces High is now available through Steam. I'll be VERY curious to see how many more people are in the game over the next few days... Just for completeness, I'll keep some updates on this thread and I'm sure JimBobb will !

Rick

The game is on greenlight but it has not been 'green lit' by Steam yet though.

#4359688 - 05/26/17 08:24 PM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: JimBobb]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Originally Posted by JimBobb

Rick

The game is on greenlight but it has not been 'green lit' by Steam yet though.

Word yesterday from a reliable friend close to HT staff indicated all that's left is the details.... I should not have used the word "announced". That was an unthinking faux pas on my part.

#4359693 - 05/26/17 08:37 PM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: JimBobb]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

The only reason I'm pleased to see AH get on Steam is that it is the only way it can survive so much competition regardless of how good it is. Times have changed in online gaming so much since AH went live in 2001 (I think) when it was pretty much the only big game in town after Air Warrior closed up shop. Competition is good in most ways, but sometimes there is just too much out there for everyone to have the numbers needed to make a profit that warrants staying in operation. AH had long been the big boy on the block, but WoT, WoW, WarThunder and so many other options are forcing them down alternative roads to maintain solvency. Checked in there yesterday about 10pm EST and there were just 73 players online. If Steam can triple or quadruple that, then being on Steam in this case is a good thing...

#4359696 - 05/26/17 09:03 PM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Yea but Wot, and WT compared to AH is arcade and both don't have a massive arena, they can never compete with AH in this regard.

#4359714 - 05/26/17 10:02 PM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: JimBobb]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Originally Posted by JimBobb
Yea but Wot, and WT compared to AH is arcade and both don't have a massive arena, they can never compete with AH in this regard.

Totally agree, JB, but be that as it may, the "arcady" style online products have drawn many mid and lower skill range AH players away and it is having a huge effect on the financial survival of the sim. Also, the number of 'old school' players seems to be dwindling as they age and find their way to more subtle sims and communities, not unlike ours here in WoFF.

I maintain an AH account more for nostalgic reasons than to spend much time in there. Once in a while it just feels good to drop by the old stomping grounds to see if I still have the skills. Oddly enough, I find that despite not playing in an online MMP environment much at all any more, I'm better than most of the dweebs and newblings based on my long lost experience alone. That is also somewhat depressing as it tells me that there is a serious lack of learning and understanding prevalent in players now that didn't exist before. I suspect it is because the 'old guard' elite players who could teach the nubes have mostly drifted away.

Rick

#4359933 - 05/28/17 12:45 PM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

#4361555 - 06/02/17 11:15 AM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: Buff1]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
ADD kiddie airquake games. If we stop buying trash

Aces High is no "ADD kiddie Airquake" product and is far, far from "trash". However, I agree that there are far too many "ADD kiddie Airquake" products out there, but Aces High is NOT one of them. WOFF and other top end air combat flight sims owe their existence to classic products like Air Warrior and Aces High.

Which begs the questions:

1)Why are you posting here then?
2)And why are people's opinions on it met with deflections and unctuous overtures to vote yes despite their personal reservations? Sorry but that just smacks of marketing sleaze to me and gets my back up.

I mean surely if a product has merit it will stand on that merit... right.......?

The answer to that (rhetorical) question is obviously "no", popularity dictates what people play, not merit. War Thunder has the monopoly on Sim-Lite products these days and that's that. Gaijin gets the kiddies' lunch money so what does this game have to offer apart from nostalgia and a monthly bill?

Last edited by Ace_Pilto; 06/02/17 03:34 PM.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4361783 - 06/03/17 05:19 PM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Which begs the questions:

1)Why are you posting here then?
2)And why are people's opinions on it met with deflections and unctuous overtures to vote yes despite their personal reservations? Sorry but that just smacks of marketing sleaze to me and gets my back up.

I mean surely if a product has merit it will stand on that merit... right.......?

The answer to that (rhetorical) question is obviously "no", popularity dictates what people play, not merit. War Thunder has the monopoly on Sim-Lite products these days and that's that. Gaijin gets the kiddies' lunch money so what does this game have to offer apart from nostalgia and a monthly bill?

I'm posting here only because the original poster brought up the subject. No different than you. If JimBobb hadn't started the thread, I would never have even known that AH was considering Steam as an option. After that, I simply added some historical perspective about AH which I'm qualified to do... Sure, I want to see it survive and thrive. So do many others, some of whom are in this community... I also want to see the return of intelligent life on this planet, but it probably isn't going to happen.

People's reservations seem to have been in regard to the way in which Steam is phrasing and utilizing their poll. That IS "marketing sleaze" as you say and I dislike it as much as you do! Unfortunately, as Stache said, Steam tied the poll to a potential subscription. Not only is that VERY uncool, but significantly limits the volume of voters which seems completely counter productive. At no point did I (or anyone else) suggest that anyone should pony up or join. Initially, I thought it was merely a 'Yes/No' poll and was a bit unclear on the Steam approach. I thank Stache who cleared that up. Typical Steam nonsense. That however does not diminish the fact that a good, long established small gaming company is in trouble and to keep it alive benefits the flight sim community as a whole.

AH has indeed "stood on its merit" for 17 years and continues to try and do so in the face of a vastly different gaming landscape than when it was first conceived. That alone is the mark of a high quality product. That they are looking to use the current big gaming conglomerate Steam to further their business and maintain market share is simply a natural progression in today's gaming atmosphere.

Ace, since we clearly agree that popularity and not merit dictates what people play (sadly), doesn't it make sense to try and spread the word in the overall sim community about the potential demise of a quality product. Isn't that at least a small part of what boards and forums about our hobby for? The furthering of communication and awareness?

Frankly, I'd like to see Polovski lock this thread. It served it's initial purpose as the original poster intended and that was to alert people that AH was possibly getting a berth on Steam. It has run it's course.... Nothing more to see here.

Regards, Rick

Last edited by Buff1; 06/03/17 05:20 PM.
#4361899 - 06/04/17 11:07 AM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: JimBobb]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
jimbobb and buff1, think you are both dedicated combat fly simmers and to me it apears both have a special place in the hart when it becomes to this Aces high game. Only I think this whole AH promotion does not belong in this Woff forum.
I hope the moderator will move this to another section so it will recieve more attention, from potential buyers.

Did also read the posting on Bos forum and yeah here also lots of negative reactions, geuss doing random advertising is not the right way to promote this vintage game. I hope you are aware that some readers will now vote no.

Last edited by dutch; 06/04/17 11:17 AM.
#4361972 - 06/04/17 09:34 PM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: dutch]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Originally Posted by dutch
jimbobb and buff1, think you are both dedicated combat fly simmers and to me it appears both have a special place in the heart when it becomes to this Aces high game. Only I think this whole AH promotion does not belong in this Woff forum.

Did also read the posting on Bos forum and yeah here also lots of negative reactions, guess doing random advertising is not the right way to promote this vintage game. I hope you are aware that some readers will now vote no.

I can't speak for Jimbobb, the original creator of the thread, but I completely concur with you, Dutch! I personally would never have put it on this forum in the first place, but once it was here well, fait acompli. I had to defend the product itself because it deserves defending, but certainly do not defend Steam's baited polling policies. Just keep in mind that it was Steam and not Hi-Tech ( the small Aces High company) that tried to promote it so poorly and with such self-serving means. Best guess says that was a price Hi-Tech paid for trying to get it on Steam for greater visibility... And as I said just above, this thread should be locked or better still, simply culled out at this point! It no longer serves any purpose....

Also, I have sent personal email to a friend on the AH team telling them the generally negative effect that Steam's approach to their product has had here.

Rick

PS. Perhaps in the future, threads involving off topic ( non-OBD ) games or secondary companies should be immediately shunted to some off topic location or simply eliminated. That would seem the logical way to avoid the unwanted and pointless head-butting that this became. I certainly never wanted to become a Standard bearer in this thread. It just happened and 17 years of loyalty to the good folks at Hi-Tech sort of forced me to hold the proverbial fort. sigh

Last edited by Buff1; 06/04/17 09:39 PM.
#4362697 - 06/08/17 05:49 AM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Game is green lit now !

#4362715 - 06/08/17 09:58 AM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: dutch]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Originally Posted by dutch
jimbobb and buff1, think you are both dedicated combat fly simmers and to me it apears both have a special place in the hart when it becomes to this Aces high game. Only I think this whole AH promotion does not belong in this Woff forum.
I hope the moderator will move this to another section so it will recieve more attention, from potential buyers.

Did also read the posting on Bos forum and yeah here also lots of negative reactions, geuss doing random advertising is not the right way to promote this vintage game. I hope you are aware that some readers will now vote no.

Voted no...

#4362770 - 06/08/17 02:18 PM Re: OT: Aces High needs your help [Re: JimBobb]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
Hi All.
I believe this thread has run its course and no more can be gained by leaving it open.
This thread should really have been opened on other SimHQ forums, rather than one dedicated to a particular WW1 game/simulator, but as this forums members have replied it'll remain, but locked.
Thanks to all for keeping restrained in their replies and stopping this thread from becoming contentious.

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM