Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4358738 - 05/22/17 05:44 PM VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

You can read about it here but the skinny is that they are going to wait till 2.5 is out and stable.
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=187765

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4358741 - 05/22/17 06:18 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Therefore I have taken the decision to delay release of the P-40F and future VEAO modules until a stable DCS 2.5 has been released. I feel that this is the only way forward and it is not a decision I have thought about lightly.

Finally!! Somebody's coming to their senses. Maybe if more devs follow suit, ED will be under more pressure to release and patch 2.5 sooner rather than later.

Interesting to note that he's willing to offer refunds to the P-40 but not the Hawk.

- Ice
#4358742 - 05/22/17 06:19 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
Tirak Offline
Tirak  Offline

To quote Pete on our FB page:
"Yes in short, we rely on more outputs from dcs then other developers do, so when something changes for a dcs update it can throw things out of whack, it's something we are battling but it's a fundamental change to approach, it's getting better but not quite there yet.
Pman"

When we coded the Hawk we were one of the first 3rd party developers to be in contract with TFC and the SDK was in its infancy.
Hawk was coded back then for what existed within DCS at that time.
DCS has evolved massively form 1.2.16 to 1.5 to 2.0 and now upcoming 2.1
A lot of code was re-written when we released the EFM.

However; we have to rely on DCS passing the module certain information; mostly atmospheric but there are a few other core systems that DCS communicates back and forward with the module.

I cannot comment on how other 3rd party developers make their aircraft talk to DCS and vice versa and to what level of detail.

Now with our modules so far we have relied on DCS heavily to pass that information across to the module and back again.

Let's say DCS uses parameter X and we are looking for a value of X but suddenly that value is no longer X but Y then some co-dependencies of our systems will fall over and could cause cascading faults, which we have to try and bug hunt.

An example of this is the HSI spinning on start-up in Hawk. One version it was absolutely fine and the next patch it started spinning wildly for no reason on power-up.
It took us a while to figure out that there had actually been a power trip caused by the sim and this is why the HSI spins when the DC bus goes live.
Why does it power trip? Well because Hawk has been coded to schematic level and that's what the real HSI does when a power trip happens.
Why is the sim telling it there is a power trip? We have no idea, still today.
So the easiest answer to that is to remove the power trip function.

Well we shouldn't have to, that's how the real aircraft works but let's suppose that we want to remove it.
There are a ton of dependencies within the AHRS system; navigation, course, heading bug, ILS, VORTAC, Etc. and the code is complicated enough that if we remove the power-trip functionality it could mess up something else entirely so it's a lengthy process to disect.

We're not saying the code is incompatible, we are saying we are experiencing problems that we don't fully understand as to why DCS causes them.
No it shouldn't be like that but the fact of the matter is that it is.

Another example is with P-40 happening right now. We had a fully flyable aircraft as you've seen from Pete and my videos. I could even live stream it right now with the version I have.
The guys did an SDK update last week and now they have no thrust at all.
The throttle moves in animation and the control indicator shows the throttle input moving, but again no thrust.
We've not changed anything. So now the guys are going through each parameter DCS is passing to us to see what's changed and what is causing no thrust.

We can't allow that to happen when it gets in your hands. So we have to code less dependencies on DCS passing the parameters to us.
And therein lies the problem; we code around this for 1.5.6 but what does 2.0 and 2.1 do. Oh look it's fine in one of those versions, but why....

The decision to continue to develop but not release until 2.5 means we are not trying to bug hunt for 4 different versions of DCS but 1 or 2 (release and development) which means these sorts of problems shouldn't crop up and cause similar issues to that Hawk has been having over the years.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3144643&postcount=23

#4358754 - 05/22/17 06:50 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
cdelucia Offline
cdelucia  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
So, how long until ED closes the thread? Can't believe Ells hasn't been banned yet. Glad to finally see a developer calling ED incompetent to their faces. That being said I'm not so sure VEAO is much better in that department.

Also, a refund if you bought the P-40 but no refund for the Hawk? Can't seem to justify that.

#4358756 - 05/22/17 06:57 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Sounds like the core code has gone out of hands.
Spaghetti code as we say in my line of business.

#4358757 - 05/22/17 06:59 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: cdelucia]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Originally Posted by cdelucia
So, how long until ED closes the thread?

Already a NDA warning on the thread so we shall see.

#4358761 - 05/22/17 07:23 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Where's the NDA?

So much for DCS being "modular" if one dev integrates their module one way and another dev integrates their module another way..... the comedy just writes itself, really.

- Ice
#4358762 - 05/22/17 07:36 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: - Ice]  
Tirak Offline
Tirak  Offline

Originally Posted by - Ice
Where's the NDA?

So much for DCS being "modular" if one dev integrates their module one way and another dev integrates their module another way..... the comedy just writes itself, really.

It's not my place to comment on the internal structure of VEAO's Coding team.

That being said, any discussion of coding in detail is likely a NDA Violation as well.

The Core Sim Likely Changes faster than the Coders can keep up with, and trying to develop across what's 4 Branches now (REL, OB, OA, Normany Closed ALpha), can cause a head ache as to why a function works in one branch and not another.,

So it's best to pick a single Branch (ie 2.5), and develop for that one, as when 2.5 is released it will eventually take over all branches, and the code base will be the same across REL, OB, OA branches.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3144648&postcount=24

Possibly he means this, though I personally didn't think it was any kind of official warning. Emphasis mine.

#4358764 - 05/22/17 07:44 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
It certainly exposes and confirms a few things;

1) ED haven't got a clue what they're doing and don't communicate their changes and intent to their 3rd parties. No shock there, we've talked about it for a long time.

2) ED clearly aren't as far through 2.5 as they like us to believe. The likes of Skate had previously informed us that the main components of the new engine Inc lighting were already in place. If this were the case then surely VEAO would have been given dev builds to integrate their work and would know what the changes are and what would be affected.

3) VEAO couldn't see the issue of attempting to maintain 3 (now 4) dev streams. Quite strange really........everyone else on SimHQ were discussing the problems as as soon as 2.x got split multiple ways. I do recall a discussion with Nate where he insisted it wouldn't cause any problems for ED or 3rd parties.

Overall, its no big shock that VEAO can't afford to haemorrhage funds and resources into an inefficient method of development. I doubt very much that ED can afford it too, however they're blinded by ignorance and military contracts that bankroll the losses and waste of resources in their desktop development and products.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4358767 - 05/22/17 07:52 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: Paradaz]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

The Core Sim Likely Changes faster than the Coders can keep up with

Is it just me, or is this statement the epitome of stupidity?

Originally Posted by Paradaz
they're blinded by ignorance and military contracts that bankroll the losses and waste of resources in their desktop development and products.

Again, I ask --- what recent product(s) do they have that have come from military contracts?

- Ice
#4358769 - 05/22/17 07:55 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
EjectEject Offline
SBD
EjectEject  Offline
SBD

USA
Finally. I've put off buying anything for a long time now. And refused to have 3 installs taking up an entire SSD just for a certain aircraft to work.
Hopefully good will come from this.

#4358778 - 05/22/17 08:47 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: - Ice]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Again, I ask --- what recent product(s) do they have that have come from military contracts?

I'm not insinuating everything on desktop comes from the commercial/military contracts.....just that their military contracts take precedence, so that resources will always be moved to support those products they are working on at the detriment of the desktop products that a lot of us have already partly funded.

And also that ED cannot possibly make a profit on their desktop products due to the amount of extended development the have to pay for......I mean seriously, development that is multiple years beyond what they ever expected. Another reason why I believe early access funds cash that is already spent......and the vicious cycle continues. They'll never make a profit whilst they stumble from one obstacle to the next.

#4358781 - 05/22/17 08:57 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I agree, Daz... however, the point I'm making is while they may have made money from military contracts IN THE PAST, I don't think that is true today and they're having to rely more on their commercial side to keep the company afloat, hence the week-after-week-after-week of sales and bundle promos. I don't think they have any recent work that is derived from a military contract, therefore, they have not had "military funds".

- Ice
#4358786 - 05/22/17 09:23 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I would think that we never hear about some of their military products, and there is a good chance they have a steady stream of funds via support contracts that are in place for existing products. I seriously can't see how they'd stay afloat otherwise.

#4358787 - 05/22/17 09:31 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I disagree...

If they were making other military products which are classified enough that they can't sell them to the public, would their "skill level" not be high enough that they'd know not to do three (or FOUR!) dev branches? Even if they stuck to their current path, wouldn't their "skill level" be high enough that we'd no longer see this "one step forward, two steps back" approach? Would they not have a better handle on the software they are working on? In other words, if they were working on other military products, why are they still bumbling about with regards to their progress in their commercial products?

- Ice
#4358789 - 05/22/17 10:04 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
Developing an engine that the mil uses for their base for simulations, is where I believe this has gone. I dont see any modules being used by the mil, aside from what we've already seen.

Those royalties may be the only other income.

#4358791 - 05/22/17 10:16 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Are you saying 2.5 is the "engine"? If this were true, then ED would've released 2.5 ages ago as it clearly would've been top priority.

- Ice
#4358799 - 05/22/17 10:59 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: - Ice]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Are you saying 2.5 is the "engine"? If this were true, then ED would've released 2.5 ages ago as it clearly would've been top priority.

I'm pretty sure that DCS World is just the launcher. I remember reading about that several years ago. If you remember in 1.0 it would quit from the launcher and then load the map module as a separate system. They changed that in 1.2 so that it no longer loaded as a separate module but the map actually governs the engine if I understand it correctly. T-3, T-4 and T-5 when it's implemented. World 2.1 is capable of handling the different maps and different map environment engines so when they release the Caucuses map which will be T-4 it's just going to go into World 2.1 and they'll start calling it 2.5. But it will essentially be an updated build based on the current 2.0 base. If I'm wrong someone will probably correct me on this but that's what we've been able to discern from reading the posts anyhow.

Last edited by *Striker*; 05/22/17 11:54 PM.
#4358861 - 05/23/17 07:11 AM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: *Striker*]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Let's not forget that DCS world 2.0 has been around for many years, long before the 'official' release to Ed's consumers.

ED have had more than 5 years to develop a stable platform in reality.

Obviously the military contracts come 1st before the products syphon down to us consumers at the bottom of the ladder.

ED will tell you that dcs world is completely different to the maps portrayed in the above and circulated around the internet long before the mention of DCS EDGE on the ED forums

If the engine was that unstable, it would open a can of bugs on every milsim contractor using the engine and not just be a hit to 3rd party's such as VEAO. I would think that the bugs VEAO have experienced would all so have been experienced as far back as 2012 and before by any company using the engine.

I wonder why the issues have not been resolved?? which leads me to suspect, there is already a stable version which is being palmed around to anyone in the milsim industry whilst us 'consumers' are experiencing various delays and frustration aimed at the 3rd party developers. VEAO aim to gain military contracts with not only the hawk but other aircraft they intend to develop, ED's main partner 'Belsimtek' are all so in the business of servicing military organisations......Giving the 3rd parties bugged versions of DCS world whilst Belsimtek and others have working versions around since before 2012 means they already have a head start in the military simulation contract world.

The F-18, not far off development.....how much money would a fully functioning f-18 training simulator to the military be worth contract wise in training future pilots without the added costs of fuel and airframe hours? delaying DCS world for a further 12 months would surely be an advantage to ED than it would be to VEAO? Surely the military spec A-10C would have been worth quite a bit of money to ED on release many years ago......doesn't take a genius to put 2 and 2 together here and see it for what it is.

#4359006 - 05/23/17 04:34 PM Re: VEAO Halting Release Of New Modules [Re: - Ice]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Is it just me, or is this statement the epitome of stupidity?

Is it stupid that internal development code is changing quickly? VEAO could have chosen to do just keep releasing for 1.5.x for example, and update to 2.5 when that comes out.
Their choice is theirs - if you look at that thread, they have another part of their business with P3D and for now they choose to sink their time into that.

Originally Posted by Paradaz

Who knows? One of the biggest unknowns is what their business is doing outside of DCS. We only have hints: Map-making for professional flight sims, some military flight sim stuff, some collaborations with certain manufacturers.

--
44th VFW
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.