Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4357604 - 05/16/17 08:29 AM If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

Back in 1999 I used the same EAW cabinet file maps as ECA to write the EAWtweaker programs.

At the heart of those is a single class that takes care of all the file handling of the cabinet-mod-file system. When you instantiate the file object it opens, preps and buffers your data or tells you why it can't. When you write, it goes to mod files and makes them if you didn't have any.

Before 2000 I was working on changes that would print a "map" of the data structure and if wanted, data tables with the idea of letting the user edit that and submit changes to a read-and-output-mods utility. I wanted to be able to to do general as well as specific edits like to SET ALL TAILS ARMOR 110% or some such thing, SET ALL SPITFIRE WINGS BUBBLES 120%.... whatever.

I got creamed by a series of operations and lost it for years. Hair only started growing out of the top of my head and any color come back in 5 years ago now.
If the tweaker is to go any further, it's going to take some sharp C++ coder with time and the ability to take a big view to do it.

I have source in Borland TurboC++ 3 that afaik is public domain and runs on DOSBOX or just plain DOS. It's that or port.

Hmmmpf, I can't attach the sources even as a zip. I did get them to EAW Mark last October, never heard since.
I'll try to get back sooner than later, and IIRC I do get notifications.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4357696 - 05/16/17 05:36 PM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

#4361577 - 06/02/17 12:51 PM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: MarkEAW]  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

The tweaker programs provide examples of how to use the class, if you can handle intermediate level C++.

You make an object that opens up and buffers the whole cabinet and mod files combined.
You can mod known file parts by name, hard-coding a criteria-based hack is only a few more steps.

What I'd like to see would start by producing labelled reports of all file data in csv form suitable for spreadsheet use.
And then a utility that would read spreadsheet csv export back into EAW files.

Mods to be made in spreadsheet. Who produces these utilities give spreadsheet users a way to mod EAW files.

Please, nobody else here used C++? Oh dear.

#4361723 - 06/03/17 05:48 AM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

So if I read this correct, Neal wants to hack the class structure of the source code, so they can easily read the byte structure. If it is true, then this is BS, violates copyright law, and the efforts would be better served in an open source project (which by default would be faster to develop then an update for a DX5 game).

So Mark, is your goal to also hack the source code?

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4361724 - 06/03/17 05:50 AM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Admin, Could you please follow this thread, as I think you are publishing an ongoing project to hack the copyright of intellectual property.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4361771 - 06/03/17 04:12 PM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Whats going? hack a source code?? I don't know what your talking about or see any kind of problem??
Where talking about EAW and Neals EAW Tweaker Editor.

EAW Tweaker is a Armor and hit bubble editor.

#4362245 - 06/05/17 11:48 PM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Neal, there are no real programmers in the EAW community, left, Just hobbyist.

However the EAW source code is out and a few of us are on the search for real programmers to update the EAW code, primarily first the Direct X code and hardware accessing code.

As far as Editors for what you want, I think MrJelly has such Editors he made long ago i think for v1.2, if he did indeed had made them, they would be welcomed additions to use.

The Table inside the exe also I believe has been exported to an external file in the source code mods of EAW. I think thats what your after, that you want to hack.

#4362280 - 06/06/17 05:35 AM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: MarkEAW]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Originally Posted by MarkEAW

However the EAW source code is out and a few of us are on the search for real programmers to update the EAW code, primarily first the Direct X code and hardware accessing code.

As far as Editors for what you want, I think MrJelly has such Editors he made long ago i think for v1.2, if he did indeed had made them, they would be welcomed additions to use.

The Table inside the exe also I believe has been exported to an external file in the source code mods of EAW. I think thats what your after, that you want to hack.

Release of the source code to a group that has the permission of the copyright owner does not make the code freeware or abandonware (a legally non existent myth). If you are accessing the code outside of the group that has permission to modify the code then it is a violation of intellectual property rights law and the end user agreement. It seems you are also attempting to use Mr Jelly's legally modified code and tools in this action.

Neal or any other interested person would be better off contacting Moogy and the code group. #1, they would have full access to the code and changes made by members. #2 it's legal.

Mark,
I have to ask, are you Col.Gibbon? You read just like Jon.

TPA who TWI
#4362281 - 06/06/17 05:41 AM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Oh and by the way Mark

Piss off. You either have nefarious goals or no respect for those of us who did the EAW code modding work.

TPA who TWI
#4362289 - 06/06/17 08:08 AM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I don't know where your getting all your information from , or what your trying to get at, I think you are trying to fill the void of no post going on here for awhile with your own collision of the minds.
I don't have to explain myself to you or anyone else, so you piss off, and don't try to put words coming out of my mouth that are not there.

and what group are you talking about? There is MrJelly doing the code as a hobbyist and Rotton doing the modding as a hobbyist, are there more?

Whats this about the outstanding Col.Gibbon? I notice certain guys get attacked at anytime they seem to disagree, weird stuff. Are you really Rotton? your sure do sound like him. (no offence to the real Rotton if that's the case.)

#4362457 - 06/06/17 08:50 PM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Let's set a few things straight shall we?

! - I've been on here since 2002 and never, ever attacked anyone. I have on numerous occasions counter-attacked, fervently and with great aplomb as there's nothing I like better than to deflate some overblown egos. So MarkEAW, STFU.

2 - Next up, unless you are a member of the Coder's Group you have no rights to do anything other than to play the game and enjoy what mods Jelly, Iron Mike, Moggy and I produce. Oh, and you can post here. As a reminder, the Coder's Group and only the Coder's Group, negotiated an agreement with the original software owner that has stayed in place through a few different companies. That's is, we have access to the source code on two main conditions. One is that we don't attempt to make a profit from what we do and two is that we don't share the source code.

3 - It is both legally and morally wrong for any non Coder's member to attempt to hack or otherwise access the source code. Not only does it violate a legal agreement but it puts the entire EAW modding community at risk since the software owners have the right to rescind the agreement at even a HINT of impropriety by anyone, Coder's member or not. So, the vast majority of players would suffer the downfall of a great game because a small group of "rebels" want something they can't have. You want to be an active modder? Then act responsibly, pay your dues and show us you can be trusted.

Too late for you Mark.

This thread confirms to the Coder's Group members that there is something suspicious about MarkEAW. He requested entry to the group a couple of months back and upon reflection we unanimously agreed that there was too much risk as he seemed just a bit too fervent in getting his hands on the source code. FWIW, I have no idea who Neal is but he seems to be associated with MarkEAW and that is not a good thing for the community.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4362469 - 06/06/17 09:47 PM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I will not STFU Rotton. lol you funny. I'm not getting straight from your Constant crying. ME ME

You guys are so frickin paranoid about everything. This whole thing started because ALDO didn't understand that Neal was looking for a programmer for his source code of his tweaker program. Not the EAW source code.
Instead of asking whats going on he just assumes it was about the EAW source code, and told me to piss off. Thats not going to happen till I'm done with my work, sorry. I'm having too much fun with EAW and modding it.

I don't have to prove a damn thing, especially to you Rotton, your the last guy I give no #%&*$# for. I don't care what you stole and made your own, or whatever you do with other peoples modded stuff, in the end it just doesn't matter.

I know you guys are a closed group, and some closed minded. You won't let anyone in thats smarter than you to fix the hardware issues or help anyone. You feel threaten the most Rotton from outside help, why is that?

The only reason I wanted to get temporary limited access to the gen was so I could fill out the patch help document with the information that Knegel posted about the changes he made, and perhaps finally fill out Jels modded changes, thats it. To help people understand how the changes where done and appreciate the changes. It's simple give a helping hand.

Now Rotton take off!

#4362479 - 06/06/17 10:39 PM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

For some reason you think I'm your problem but I'll remind you that the decision to keep you out of the group was unanimous based on YOUR behavior, not mine.

Same damn problem we had with Col. Gibbon and VBH. They're bad behavior was their undoing.

FWIW, the Code guys are quite open minded and not a jealous bunch of loser holding on to the code so no one else can use it. Rather they are a dedicated bunch who are willing to bring new members into the group with the simple caveat that the code stays with them.

Obviously as exhibited right here, you do not make the grade.

Sorry.

#4362496 - 06/07/17 12:17 AM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Like I said , I have no need to prove myself to anyone.
and no, your not open minded, your foolishly minded. You are your own downfall, and blind to it. It's hilarious, how I see it, but you can't. lol

You un-welcomed me the day I emerged. For that I forgave you for, for being foolish, I will not.
I'll say it again, I don't need the gen other than to help others. If I can't finish the one patch help document, then I'll focus toward other documents, no biggy Rotton.

I'm still going to ask the programmers to help fix the front-end and hardware issues that your unable too, cause your just hobbyist programmers.

Now go run along to the gen and talk crap. Then come play if you want.

#4362498 - 06/07/17 12:39 AM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

You exhibit the exact same behavior as the other members of this forum who have spent more time fighting and denigrating other members.than they have making actual contributions.

Nice company.

#4362499 - 06/07/17 12:49 AM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

And it hasn't sunkin yet,, but I did tell you, just remember what I learned ya. Think real hard now.

#4362521 - 06/07/17 03:00 AM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: MarkEAW]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
To all, Hands of the Code.

What ever is actually going on only the Code Group have legal access and use of the code.

Modding is one thing, totally acceptable. The more the better.

Hacking the code is not. I have to weigh in on Ray's side here about its' use.

Taking pot shots at each other isn't high on my agenda.

Last edited by iron mike; 06/07/17 03:04 AM.
#4362529 - 06/07/17 04:58 AM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
I was not going to post in this thread, but the further comments overnight have prompted me to.
My understanding is as follows

Neal wrote an editor many years ago in C++
It works with CDF files
He wanted someone else to carry on with his work

Mark is hosting the source code for Neal's editor, and not the EAW source code.

As a result of a misunderstanding that the term "source code" was referring to the EAW source code a whole lot of unnecessary arguments occurred frown

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4362534 - 06/07/17 05:14 AM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Neal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

MarkEAW,
I guess I owe you an apology. I have been informed that Neil's code does nothing more the read the CDFs. I have worked within a group to convert DX6 rendering to DX9. I have source code examples to help anyone interested in working within the code group to complete that EAW project. I do not have time to do it myself. I did write the 24bit skins and unique wingmen code used by EAW mods.

I am not Ray. Ray and I have butted heads enough that I have respect for his passion, his skill at what he mods, and his honesty. Ray, like me, is not hindered by correctness when voicing an opinion.

Jon (Col.Gibbon) is very good at 3D models and very good at asking others to create his other desires. He chose to ask rather then learn so I stopped helping him. I assumed that family issues were his priority, but my opinion of his later wars here in this forum was that he expected everyone to follow his dream for the EAW game engine. I do not have much respect left for " outstanding Col.Gibbon"

Iron Mike,
If you are interested in learning UV texturing, I have found Metasequoia 4's free version very good at learning how UV texturing works. Your artwork is outstanding. You should branch out after you are done with EAW.

Jelly,
Thank you for clarifying my wrong assumptions and sorry I take so long to post..

TPA who TWI
#4362535 - 06/07/17 05:28 AM Re: If you can write C++ and want to mod EAW...Ba [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

Originally Posted by Brit44 'Aldo'
Originally Posted by MarkEAW

Release of the source code to a group that has the permission of the copyright owner does not make the code freeware or abandonware (a legally non existent myth). If you are accessing the code outside of the group that has permission to modify the code then it is a violation of intellectual property rights law and the end user agreement. It seems you are also attempting to use Mr Jelly's legally modified code and tools in this action.

Neal or any other interested person would be better off contacting Moogy and the code group. #1, they would have full access to the code and changes made by members. #2 it's legal.

Mark,
I have to ask, are you Col.Gibbon? You read just like Jon.

The tweaker code is MINE because I wrote it. I wrote it in mid-1999. It operates on EAW files based on file info available in 1999, same source that ECA used.

Not Moogy... Moggy. Sorry I was still recovering from medical trauma back then to be of use. I'm not much better or I'd write next stage tweakers, tweak by criteria instead of all the same.

You're mixing up the game code with code for a file utility to make EAW planes harder to hit as well as kill, it shrinks hit bubbles and boosts armor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.