Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 68 of 112 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 111 112
#4352256 - 04/20/17 07:44 AM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller ***** [Re: Kb1rd1]  
Barra Offline
Barra  Offline

Australia
Originally Posted by Kbird
Originally Posted by Barra
Erichos

I finished putting a button box together with 3 pots 2 encoders and numerous switches via SR's (8 switch common wires are wiring together with a common wire running to SR from the bunched common wires). The pots and encoders including encoder buttons work. But SR switches show as always on.

Software pic in post shows switches lit and button tester shows on as well. To me with little electronic knowledge it's like maybe a short causing them to show on.
It will take me a while to draw a scheme so I will look at that.

Hi Barra , I did not know ( and you didn't say ..more info is better...) that you are using CD4021 SR's not the 74HC165 SR Chips like most . The FLCS uses 3 x 4021's in its Handle for all the Buttons so you can use that wiring scheme for an example (pic posted a few pages back) but I suspect that you making the wires "common" is the issue but here is a "CD4021 Schematic" I had saved a while back too....

KB

forgot to mention there are example PCB layouts in the MMJoy2 Folder under PCB , you can use the free version of Sprint 6.0 Viewer to look at and print them ( the Demo doesn't allow saving or printing)

Yes using 4021 - 4 of them on a PCB by Debolestis

Then I would try contacting @Debolestis via PM , he is still around , thank him for the PCBs and ask him how to wire it smile

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/users/39266/debolestis

Don't worry false alarm. A rookie error with wire to incorrect pin. Chased me tail for 2 days on that.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4352263 - 04/20/17 08:16 AM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Buncan]  
Kb1rd1 Offline
Kb1rd1  Offline

Originally Posted by Buncan
The encoder feels still a bit unresponsive if turned to slow or to fast, but however - using a encoder is not the most significant for my project.

Actually i'm looking for a ministick that doesn't move in a circle but instead in a squared window.
Imagine the red line on this pic as the cutout.
[Linked Image]
The usual gamepad like ministicks are all moving in a circle, which results in reduced max deflection values on X and Y axes, when moving the stick diagonal.
Thats really bad for a strafing stick (i want to use the controller in Star Citizen).
Does anybody know, if such kind of ministick i'm looking for, is somewhere available at all?

Btw - here are some Pics of my Project.
http://imgur.com/a/RgFJd
It's planned as a expansion for my dual stick + rudderpedals setup.

perhaps try a PEC11 Rotary Encoder like I have , it seems okay to me , it is the one AdaFruit has too though I got mine locally

https://www.adafruit.com/product/377

The hat on my TQS which is from my old X-Fighter joystick is actually 4 tactile switches with a cross-shaped stick above them , not sure if it does what you want though with four corners?

My FLCS+TQS Conversion here on SimHQ

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4324940/1
#4352265 - 04/20/17 08:21 AM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Sokol1]  
Barra Offline
Barra  Offline

Australia
I have a button box all wired and it has:

3 Pots for trims
2 Encoders (this then accounts for 6 buttons)
16 mom switches
7 On-None-On Toggle switches (this accounts for another 14 buttons)

The Mom switches and On-None-On Toggle switches are all on PCB of 4 Shift Registers (4021).

So all that is 36 buttons which I know is 4 more that windows recognises and to use in sim I will need a key mapper if I continue down that track. All are working as they turn red in MMjoy software. The On-None-On Toggle switches stay red until I throw toggle.

I have no issues for the 1st 3 SR's or Encoders - at least I don't think I do but this is new to me.

Setting up final SR is causing me issues. These may be in part due to Encoder button numbering.

1. Encoders seem to cause some button numbers to be skipped is this normal?

2. I am not sure how I should treat button numbers when things get skipped?

3. It seems that in MMjoy software I am hitting problem in button setup after button 32?

4. I cannot set On-None-On Toggle switches to "Switch On" after getting beyond button 32?

5. When setting up pots for the 3 "Trim" axes what Assignment should I give them?

Any comments appreciated

Hope that someone can give me some more guidance. See shots attached

Attached Files Button13.PNGButton 13 to 30.PNGButton 31 on.PNGAxes.PNG
Last edited by Barra; 04/20/17 08:31 AM.
#4352269 - 04/20/17 08:56 AM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Barra]  
Kb1rd1 Offline
Kb1rd1  Offline

3 Pots for trims
16 mom switches

The Mom switches and On-None-On Toggle switches are all on PCB of 4 Shift Registers (4021).

So all that is 36 buttons which I know is 4 more that windows recognises and to use in sim I will need a key mapper if I continue down that track. All are working as they turn red in MMjoy software. The On-None-On Toggle switches stay red until I throw toggle.

I have no issues for the 1st 3 SR's or Encoders - at least I don't think I do but this is new to me.

Setting up final SR is causing me issues. These may be in part due to Encoder button numbering.

3. It seems that in MMjoy software I am hitting problem in button setup after button 32?

4. I cannot set On-None-On Toggle switches to "Switch On" after getting beyond button 32?

5. When setting up pots for the 3 "Trim" axes what Assignment should I give them?

Any comments appreciated

how are you getting 3 buttons per Rotary Encoder? are there not two buttons per encoder? (up and down) or do they have push buttons too?

1. seems normal... my encoder shows at 36 and 42 ....no idea why smile

2. doesn't matter as you need to assign the number to the number you want windows to see anyway under H/W Button eg mine are buttons 14 and 15

3. I think I read that only the 1st 32 buttons can have "modes" and Timers etc assigned

4. see answer 3

5. I'd use rX, rY and rZ , depending on what if anything else needs axis's but if its just a button box, ( no built in joystick) probably no reason not to use X,Y and Z. I have not needed to try Dial or Slider

KB.

#4352300 - 04/20/17 12:59 PM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Kb1rd1]  
Barra Offline
Barra  Offline

Australia

3 Pots for trims
16 mom switches

Any comments appreciated

how are you getting 3 buttons per Rotary Encoder? are there not two buttons per encoder? (up and down) or do they have push buttons too?

1. seems normal... my encoder shows at 36 and 42 ....no idea why smile

2. doesn't matter as you need to assign the number to the number you want windows to see anyway under H/W Button eg mine are buttons 14 and 15

3. I think I read that only the 1st 32 buttons can have "modes" and Timers etc assigned

4. see answer 3

5. I'd use rX, rY and rZ , depending on what if anything else needs axis's but if its just a button box, ( no built in joystick) probably no reason not to use X,Y and Z. I have not needed to try Dial or Slider

KB.

Kbird the encoders have push buttons as well. I did not plan to use them but could not seem to get encoders working without connecting buttons as well. Not sure if I was doing something wrong or if that is how that have to be done. Got off Ebay and don't have datasheet so no way to tell on that score.

1. Yep ignored now.

2. After your post went back over thread and got the understanding and have now renumbered everything

3. Yep as well - I picked that up tonight on about pg50 - hence I numbered all On-None-On Toggle switches I really wanted to be within the 32 buttons.

4. yep

5. ok

Not sure if I need to set any timers on the On-None-On Toggle switches.

So now I have all buttons I need to work all inside the 32.
I had 2 spare mon switches and 1 spare On-None-On Toggle switch. These are now numbered outside the the 32 plus the 2 buttons on the Encoders are also out of the 32.

Also tested pots in sim (CLOD) and they will work as X,Y,Z but maybe I have wrong type of pots for using with Trims as these are linear!! Or is there a setup issue in MMjoy?

Thanks for help

thumbsup

Last edited by Barra; 04/20/17 01:42 PM.
#4352345 - 04/20/17 04:29 PM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Kb1rd1]  
erichos Offline
erichos  Offline

Slovakia

Originally Posted by erichos
Kbird, what is your problem with wrong kind of rotary switch? You can change it by MMJoy2 software, MBB or BBM - it does not matter, set it in MMJoy2!

Hi Erichos , I think i misunderstood then as back on page 124 you said I had the wrong type of Rot. Switch as they were always on and the 2 others I got have also turned out to be the same, in that they always show the switch position as "ON"
not "momentary on" , they seem to be selector type switches so for example position 8 will always show as ON in MMJoy or the Sim at 8 , which may work for somethings' I guess but I was thinking that most Sims want to see a momentary ON only.

Is there a "mode" for the Button that makes it Momentary? I played with the mode settings ....some work but always show as ON

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...uild-your-own-usb-controller#Post4338413

Hi Kbird,
you can use rotary switches and toggle switches like a momentary switch. Even normal switch ON-OFF you can map in MMJoy2 as 2 buttons.
So try it set like this and check the function by VKB Button Tester:
[Linked Image]

If you want oposite function, set it as "Switch OFF". Let me know if it is OK for you.

P.S. Hi Erichos , I think i misunderstood then as back on page 124 you said I had the wrong type of Rotary switch....
No Kbird, we talked about possibility to connect your 10-position rotary switch to button matrix and I wrote you that it is not possible because your BM was smaller. So solution was to have other type of rotary switch that allows you limit number of positions or use shift registers. And Sokol1 wrote you that more suitable rotary switch is OFF-MON-OFF-MON...... So if you use shift registers you can use any type of rotary switch but you have to set it in MMJoy2 correctly. That`s all :-)

Last edited by erichos; 04/20/17 04:43 PM.
#4352346 - 04/20/17 04:39 PM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Sokol1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
So all that is 36 buttons which I know is 4 more that windows recognises and to use in sim I will need a key mapper if I continue down that track. All are working as they turn red in MMjoy software.

For MMjoySetup or VKB Button Tester or games like DCS, IL-2:BoS the button limit is not 32, is up to 128 (64 in BoS).

Windows Game Controllers (old) DImput is that "see" only 32 button - in fact see 32+4 (POV HAT 4 buttons, since (4) diagonals on POV HAT don't use physical buttons).

Can use HAT position for wire ordinary 4 buttons (and even for 8 with diodes between two buttons for add the extra button for (4) diagonals) resulting in 36 buttons for old games (obvious if don't use POV HAT).

#4352349 - 04/20/17 04:50 PM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Barra]  
erichos Offline
erichos  Offline

Slovakia
Erichos

I finished putting a button box together with 3 pots 2 encoders and numerous switches via SR's (8 switch common wires are wiring together with a common wire running to SR from the bunched common wires). The pots and encoders including encoder buttons work. But SR switches show as always on.

Software pic in post shows switches lit and button tester shows on as well. To me with little electronic knowledge it's like maybe a short causing them to show on.
It will take me a while to draw a scheme so I will look at that.

If you set the shift registers in MMJoy2 but you don`t connect the board with shift registers the MMJoy2 shows all switches as always ON. It seems it`s your problem so check the all wires properly. Or you didn`t set the MMJoy2 correctly, if you set 74HC165 but connect the board with 4021 is the same problem. Check it.

Last edited by erichos; 04/20/17 04:53 PM.
#4352367 - 04/20/17 06:12 PM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: erichos]  
Kb1rd1 Offline
Kb1rd1  Offline

Kbird, what is your problem with wrong kind of rotary switch? You can change it by MMJoy2 software, MBB or BBM - it does not matter, set it in MMJoy2!

Hi Erichos , I think i misunderstood then as back on page 124 you said I had the wrong type of Rot. Switch as they were always on and the 2 others I got have also turned out to be the same, in that they always show the switch position as "ON"
not "momentary on" , they seem to be selector type switches so for example position 8 will always show as ON in MMJoy or the Sim at 8 , which may work for somethings' I guess but I was thinking that most Sims want to see a momentary ON only.

Is there a "mode" for the Button that makes it Momentary? I played with the mode settings ....some work but always show as ON

Hi Kbird,
you can use rotary switches and toggle switches like a momentary switch. Even normal switch ON-OFF you can map in MMJoy2 as 2 buttons.
[Linked Image]

If you want oposite function, set it as "Switch OFF". Let me know if it is OK for you.

P.S. Hi Erichos , I think i misunderstood then as back on page 124 you said I had the wrong type of Rotary switch....
No Kbird, we talked about possibility to connect your 10-position rotary switch to button matrix and I wrote you that it is not possible because your BM was smaller. So solution was to have other type of rotary switch that allows you limit number of positions or use shift registers. And Sokol1 wrote you that more suitable rotary switch is OFF-MON-OFF-MON...... So if you use shift registers you can use any type of rotary switch but you have to set it in MMJoy2 correctly. That`s all :-)

Thanks Erichos I will give it a try again, I did misunderstand smile , I tried the 74HC165's as an exercise as I already had them and it was a good way to learn about them.

I tried Switch ON but did not set the Timer function and it didn't seem to work , so I guess the Timer makes all the difference here.

Thanks again for the great example and the schooling smile

Also .....

I am having trouble with the TLE5010 Boards on the FLCS axis's , one in particular moves in the opposite direction 1st then goes in the right direction , this happens in VKB and in the Sim I tried too last night (EF2000 Reloaded).
I also made a mistake at 1st when I install the converted POT shafts for them ..I used 1/4" metal Washers as spacers and they were affecting the magnetic field etc , I don't know enough about them to know if it is faulty , or if I have damaged them somehow unfortunately, but I will try swapping them out with the other pair I have and see if it helps , other wise I guess i will reinstall standard POTS as it is unflyable at the moment. EF2000 showed me that 3 of the 4 axis's on the FLCS were seen reversed by Windows so I had to use the Invertion check box in MMjoy for those Axis's , I am not sure if that is part of the TLE5010 issue?.

KB

#4352374 - 04/20/17 06:29 PM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Kb1rd1]  
erichos Offline
erichos  Offline

Slovakia

I am having trouble with the TLE5010 Boards on the FLCS axis's , one in particular moves in the opposite direction 1st then goes in the right direction , this happens in VKB and in the Sim I tried too last night (EF2000 Reloaded).
I also made a mistake at 1st when I install the converted POT shafts for them ..I used 1/4" metal Washers as spacers and they were affecting the magnetic field etc , I don't know enough about them to know if it is faulty , or if I have damaged them somehow unfortunately, but I will try swapping them out with the other pair I have and see if it helps , other wise I guess i will reinstall standard POTS as it is unflyable at the moment. EF2000 showed me that 3 of the 4 axis's on the FLCS were seen reversed by Windows so I had to use the Invertion check box in MMjoy for those Axis's , I am not sure if that is part of the TLE5010 issue?.
KB

Sorry Kbird, I don`t understand what is problem with TLE5011. Could you explain it to me again?

EDIT: maybe I know what`s the problem, try to set "Magnet offset" check box on the problematic axe, save it and calibrate, again save it. Try it.
And Invertion check box is working for TLE5011 of course.

Last edited by erichos; 04/20/17 06:57 PM.
#4352380 - 04/20/17 06:44 PM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: erichos]  
Kb1rd1 Offline
Kb1rd1  Offline

KB

Sorry Kbird, I don`t understand what is problem with TLE5011. Could you explain it to me again?

EDIT: maybe I know what`s the problem, try to set "Magnet offset" on the problematic axe, save it and calibrate again. Try it.

In particular the Y axis TLE5010 moves in the opposite direction 1st , whether I push up or down before slowly responding to the correct direction and seems sensitive enough that if I use the X-Axis that the Y axis moves too.

do i need to set a magnet decrease/increase/center too?

here is the y Axis with me pushing up on the stick , as you can see it goes down 1st then Up...

Attached Files Capture.JPG
Last edited by Kbird; 04/20/17 06:47 PM.

#4352384 - 04/20/17 07:00 PM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Sokol1]  
Kb1rd1 Offline
Kb1rd1  Offline

Hi Erichos I tried the magnet offset checkbox , it totally changed the calibration but it did not fix the wrong direction error in the pic above , if anything it is even more sensitive , and spikes badly now pulling down/back on the stick.

KB

#4352398 - 04/20/17 09:08 PM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Sokol1]  
erichos Offline
erichos  Offline

Slovakia
OK, I understand now, it seems like mechanical problem and magnet first moves to the opposite direction (maybe gimbal or magnet fitting ... hard to say...) Try to increase filtering and DZ center on both axes. Watch the change.

#4352411 - 04/20/17 10:21 PM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Sokol1]  
Barra Offline
Barra  Offline

Australia
A Pots question

I got pots at start of this process when I knew that pots and joysticks were something used together and nothing more biggrin

I tested pots in sim (CLOD) and they work and have them as X,Y,Z following KB's advice.

But do I have wrong type of pots for using with Surface Trims, as these are linear!!

Or is there a setup ability in MMjoy?

Also 1 of them in particular seems to be very jittery?

#4352421 - 04/20/17 10:49 PM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Sokol1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
I am having trouble with the TLE5010 Boards on the FLCS axis's , one in particular moves in the opposite direction 1st then goes in the right direction

This can be caused by a small oscillation in the axis that turn the magnet.
I find the same problem in conversion of CH PRO gameport pedal for USB, the original potentiometer support has litttle play, what is not issue for pot,
but became ctitical for HALL sensor sue their sensitivity. I solve this using ball bearing in the axis that turn the magnet.

#4352441 - 04/21/17 12:36 AM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Barra]  
Kb1rd1 Offline
Kb1rd1  Offline

A Pots question

I got pots at start of this process when I knew that pots and joysticks were something used together and nothing more biggrin

I tested pots in sim (CLOD) and they work and have them as X,Y,Z following KB's advice.

But do I have wrong type of pots for using with Surface Trims, as these are linear!!

As in Sliding Pots ? like used in the CH Throttles? not a Rotary Pot ? there is a Slider Setting for Axis's for using with those type of throttles/axis but I think you can only use the setting once? .... try it

turn the filtering up on Pots to something like 10 , see if that helps ...7-10 helps here but older / worn ones may need higher though. You may need to recalibrate slightly when you change the Filter level .

KB

#4352442 - 04/21/17 12:40 AM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Sokol1]  
Kb1rd1 Offline
Kb1rd1  Offline

Originally Posted by Sokol1
I am having trouble with the TLE5010 Boards on the FLCS axis's , one in particular moves in the opposite direction 1st then goes in the right direction

This can be caused by a small oscillation in the axis that turn the magnet.
I find the same problem in conversion of CH PRO gameport pedal for USB, the original potentiometer support has litttle play, what is not issue for pot,
but became ctitical for HALL sensor sue their sensitivity. I solve this using ball bearing in the axis that turn the magnet.

Thanks Sokol and Erichos , I will open it up again and see if I can spot anything , if not I will swap out the TLE5010 PCB just to be sure but honestly I was never happy with the magnet mounting on the Old Pot Shafts , I may need to give it a rethink.

KB.

#4352446 - 04/21/17 01:18 AM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Kb1rd1]  
Barra Offline
Barra  Offline

Australia
A Pots question

As in Sliding Pots ? like used in the CH Throttles? not a Rotary Pot ? there is a Slider Setting for Axis's for using with those type of throttles/axis but I think you can only use the setting once? .... try it

turn the filtering up on Pots to something like 10 , see if that helps ...7-10 helps here but older / worn ones may need higher though. You may need to recalibrate slightly when you change the Filter level .

KB

They are rotary and in sim seem to produce a linear effect - just like throttle

#4352462 - 04/21/17 03:58 AM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: erichos]  
Kb1rd1 Offline
Kb1rd1  Offline

Hi Kbird,
[Linked Image]

Thanks Erichos your Tutorial AND advice to Open VKB Button Tester ...it made me realise that the MMJoy2 window always shows the Rotary switch position selected as ON , in the Buttons TAB , I had not checked in VKB to see if the Button was acting correctly ....ie ON Momentary only, as I didnt think they were as they showed always ON. VKB Button Testor showed me what Windows or a Sim will see , so I now have all the Rotary switches working as they should with the Button Mode type set to ON and the Timer at 100ms.

For anyone else reading this not familiar with MMJoy2, if you missed it elsewhere on the thread , only the 1st 32 buttons (of 128) in MMjoy2 can have the Button Mode set, the other 96 Buttons act as normal buttons only, so the switch positions on the Rotary Switch must be assigned to HW Buttons 1-32 to work.

KB

#4352463 - 04/21/17 04:05 AM Re: MMJoy/MMjoy2 - Build your own USB controller [Re: Barra]  
Kb1rd1 Offline
Kb1rd1  Offline

A Pots question

KB

They are rotary and in sim seem to produce a linear effect - just like throttle

I think all Pots are basically voltage dividers , so I think they will all be "linear" will they not ? I guess I am not quite sure what you are trying to do with them if not using them for Axis Control , perhaps you need Rotary Switches and can then assign a particular % to each switch position in game for example? I hope to do this in CAP2 with the Nozzle Angles which is why I am messing with Rotary switches . (above)

KB

Page 68 of 112 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 111 112

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.