Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4345598 - 03/20/17 02:35 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: Jedi Master]  
Snoopy_476th Offline
Snoopy_476th  Offline

Warner Robins Ga, USA
Those are contributing factors not the factor. But how can anyone truly enjoy something that continues to be buggy. I also didn't go into items I saw behind the scene when I was still a tester due to NDAs. I can't even flip a battery switch in the A-10C without potentially crashing right now. Bugs like that shouldn't make it out of the testers branch.

Originally Posted by Jedi Master
I cannot comprehend that mindset.

I can understand not buying anything new anymore. I can understand lack of interest in new product announcements.

I cannot understand how it affects your enjoyment of something you already have and have been using for years happily. Same product, same gameplay, but now it's not fun due to a lack of focus for future development? confused

It must really suck to have your recreation sabotaged like that.
I'm happy that my opinion of a company, its employees, its PR, and its future projects have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether I enjoy a product of theirs that I've been enjoying for years.

The Jedi Master

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4345685 - 03/20/17 06:50 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: Jedi Master]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by Sobek
In my >3 years of moderation i did not witness one cleanup of the user database. We banned bots to keep them from posting, but no measures were taken to remove them in any way. If i could query the database, i could give some rough numbers but as is, i have no idea as to what the percentage of valid users vs bots is.

So some mods troll other forums in search for the next ban-hammer victim but nobody bothers to clean up their own site?? Wow.... I guess I'm surprised, but at the same time I'm not surprised. If you could give a rough idea of the number of valid users, that would be great! However, even if we were to say that only 30,000 users are "legit" and the other 29,000 are bots, that still does not look very good for the 750-person turnout.... that would be 2.5% which although better than the initial 1.3%, is still hilarously low.

Originally Posted by Snoopy_476th
Personally you can count me as someone who use to spend countless hours every month flying DCS but now don't fly DCS at all anymore.

Zero flight hours, Snoopy? Again, wow...

I cannot understand how it affects your enjoyment of something you already have and have been using for years happily. Same product, same gameplay, but now it's not fun due to a lack of focus for future development? confused

Sometimes, the honeymoon period just ends and you start seeing the flaws. The little bugs that you could once gloss over are now glaring annoyances that stares at you right in the face. When you notice something wrong and you're confident that "they'll fix it" but years and years later that "something wrong" is still broken, it takes away your confidence in the devs and takes away your enjoyment of the product.

It must really suck to have your recreation sabotaged like that.

It does. What sucks even more is when you watch those who "sabotage" your recreation move on to different projects leaving you behind to enjoy your "broken" product.

I'm happy that my opinion of a company, its employees, its PR, and its future projects have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether I enjoy a product of theirs that I've been enjoying for years.

Good for you! I guess some of us are just wired differently.

- Ice
#4345710 - 03/20/17 08:30 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: - Ice]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Originally Posted by - Ice
So some mods troll other forums in search for the next ban-hammer victim but nobody bothers to clean up their own site??

What would be the point, really?

If you could give a rough idea of the number of valid users, that would be great!

I can't with any certainty. My guess is as good as yours. I only know that they introduced a reverse turing test sometime 2012 i think, that dealt with all the bots and left only human spammers.

#4345717 - 03/20/17 08:41 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: Sobek]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Cleanup.

I can't with any certainty. My guess is as good as yours. I only know that they introduced a reverse turing test sometime 2012 i think, that dealt with all the bots and left only human spammers.

I wonder if there's any statistic as to how many have been active over the last 6-12 months? Surely there are some statistics that are tracked on the website. Just would be an interesting thing to know, but like I said, even if we were to say half of the registered number was "legit," it still doesn't look good in terms of what the thread is about.

- Ice
#4345803 - 03/21/17 06:20 AM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: - Ice]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Cleanup.

What for? You gain nothing but a few mb of database size. That's nowhere near worth the time of an administrator.

I wonder if there's any statistic as to how many have been active over the last 6-12 months? Surely there are some statistics that are tracked on the website. Just would be an interesting thing to know, but like I said, even if we were to say half of the registered number was "legit," it still doesn't look good in terms of what the thread is about.

I think you're trying to put the cart before the horse. If ED want hard user statistics, they can get them much more easily and reliably from the master server and through their sales. People being active on the forum doesn't really tell you anything of importance. Just that they are active on the forum.

#4345812 - 03/21/17 09:35 AM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: Sobek]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

What for? You gain nothing but a few mb of database size. That's nowhere near worth the time of an administrator.

I could say the same about trolling other forums to ban the user on the ED forum.... but they've found **THAT** worth their time?

I think you're trying to put the cart before the horse. If ED want hard user statistics, they can get them much more easily and reliably from the master server and through their sales. People being active on the forum doesn't really tell you anything of importance. Just that they are active on the forum.

Was just speculating. The forum said there are 59K+ members, then someone says "not all of them are members, some are bots", so I'm simply asking for a much more reliable number. Since you said you guys banned the bots and I'm sure there have been steps taken to control the human spammers as well, then maybe the number of people that have posted actively over a certain time period are "legit users" and not bots or spammers.

- Ice
#4351617 - 04/17/17 03:13 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: *Striker*]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Still can't believe that ED having seemly thought this through

There will now to several versions of DCS spreading the already smaller online community thinner :-(

For the love of god

1. Asset packs that you cannot actually PLAY in should be part of the core product
By all means later on release Combined arms WW2 for those that want to PLAY IN these vechs later on

2. Making people who want to host dedicated server have to pay for these the taking the p!ss
We are already using our money to pay for servers to allow people to play online , thus helping to promote YOUR product

No other company (to the best of my knowledge) has done such a stupid , shoot yourself in foot retarded PR move
..... hang on .......

[Linked Image]

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4351637 - 04/17/17 04:12 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Would you pay for DCS: Ground Crew? You'll see ground crew during startup, they'll marshall you in/out of your parking spot, and they'll do EOR checks... sad to say it, but I know a lot of people would pay for something like this!

- Ice
#4351668 - 04/17/17 05:36 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: - Ice]  
SiTSpAwN Offline
SiTSpAwN  Offline

Would you pay for DCS: Ground Crew? You'll see ground crew during startup, they'll marshall you in/out of your parking spot, and they'll do EOR checks... sad to say it, but I know a lot of people would pay for something like this!

Yeah!!, I bet ED is right now working a lot harder to find a profitable way to divide in smallest possible pieces their buggy soft than solving actual issues...but dont worry, I have a good news for you all guys, president Trump's official announcement of DCS: F/A-18 Hornet:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
#4351678 - 04/17/17 05:58 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: SiTSpAwN]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted by #%&*$#

Yeah!!, I bet ED is right now working a lot harder to find a profitable way to divide in smallest possible pieces their buggy soft than solving actual issues...but dont worry, I have a good news for you all guys, president Trump's official announcement of DCS: F/A-18 Hornet:

[Linked Image]

Welcome to the forums! interesting and mature name you've chosen.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4351689 - 04/17/17 06:57 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Johnny_Redd
Welcome to the forums! interesting and mature name you've chosen.

Haha!! Nice avatar too! smile

- Ice
#4351691 - 04/17/17 07:00 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: *Striker*]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline

I loled so hard

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4351707 - 04/17/17 07:32 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: *Striker*]  
SiTSpAwN Offline
SiTSpAwN  Offline

Ah!! cmon!!!...what happened to my nick?¿?¿? boom

Thanks for your comments guys!! biggrin

Last edited by SpAwN; 04/17/17 07:36 PM.

[Linked Image]
#4351720 - 04/17/17 08:06 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: SiTSpAwN]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted by SpAwN

Not sure how it got by the filter...but obviuosly it's not allowed. I hope this isn't an indicator on how you will be behaving on the forums?

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4351721 - 04/17/17 08:14 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: *Striker*]  
SiTSpAwN Offline
SiTSpAwN  Offline

Now the nick is representative of the behaviour? Is this ED's forum?. Can I at least choose an alternative new nick?

[Linked Image]
#4351727 - 04/17/17 08:40 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: SiTSpAwN]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Now the nick is representative of the behaviour? Is this ED's forum?

Seriously? You put a curse word in your name and now we're being compared to the ED forum because I removed it?

If you want a new nick...pm it to me and I will drop it in.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4351742 - 04/17/17 10:01 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

LOL... yeah Spawn... better toe the line here and deliver your thoughts properly or else you'll get hit by Force10's ban hammer! biggrin
On a more serious note, bad words are not allowed here. It may offend some sensibilities.... everything else is game!

- Ice
#4351748 - 04/17/17 10:17 PM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: - Ice]  
SiTSpAwN Offline
SiTSpAwN  Offline

Originally Posted by Force10
Now the nick is representative of the behaviour? Is this ED's forum?

Seriously? You put a curse word in your name and now we're being compared to the ED forum because I removed it?

If you want a new nick...pm it to me and I will drop it in.

I compared with ED forums due to the "behaviour" reference, not because of my nick...but you are right in one thing, I should never compare any forum with ED's dictatorial fake forums biggrin

LOL... yeah Spawn... better toe the line here and deliver your thoughts properly or else you'll get hit by Force10's ban hammer! biggrin
On a more serious note, bad words are not allowed here. It may offend some sensibilities.... everything else is game!

I will, dont worry thumbsup

[Linked Image]
#4351799 - 04/18/17 08:16 AM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: Force10]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline

Originally Posted by Force10

Not sure how it got by the filter...but obviuosly it's not allowed. I hope this isn't an indicator on how you will be behaving on the forums?

Is there a list of words not allowed to be used in usernames ?

Last edited by leaf_on_the_wind; 04/18/17 12:23 PM.

#4351810 - 04/18/17 10:24 AM Re: DCS Server And Maps Discussion From Live Stream [Re: *Striker*]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Better late than never:

Originally Posted by Nate

The busiest their forum has ever been is.....

Most users ever online was 1,654, 12-08-2016 at 02:47 PM

So not really that shocking.

Nate

Obviously those 1,654 must have been reporting a serious bug.......
Never would that amount of people be online on ED's forums if the life was good.

Surely the release of Nevada and the screw up it was to download the map must have come close to that figure in terms of end user complaints?
Even took a member of the public to set up a torrent so the end user's could download the map and avoid ED's own torrent system, Or has everyone forgotten what a screw up that map release was.
No doubt it will take another member of the public to fix Ed's balls up when Normandy is released

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.