Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4349880 - 04/08/17 03:39 PM Vast differences in the cost of living - US only  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Take a look at the chart a bit down the page. The comparison of average rents for studio and one bedroom apartments is staggering.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/06/san-francisco-cost-of-living-pricing-out-tech-companies-workers.html

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4349890 - 04/08/17 04:14 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
There are major rent differences even among counties too.

I rent a house. If I lived on the same county I work in (30 min drive away), my rent would almost double. If I moved to Raleigh (45 min drive away), I would need to cut my living space to a single room to be able to pay the same amount of rent.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 04/08/17 04:15 PM.
#4349891 - 04/08/17 04:21 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
The numbers for Detroit metro area (suburbs) look WAY wrong. A decent one bedroom apartment in a complex that isn't full of section 8 drug dealers will cost you at least $800 a month. That is if you can find an opening. Most places are full.

#4349984 - 04/09/17 06:59 AM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Demand vs supply.

Can't personally say I like SF much though - I mean, it IS a really cool and fun place to visit, but how anyone lives there (and pays those prices) is beyond me.

46 year Californian from the SF Bay Area here.......

#4350370 - 04/11/17 01:39 AM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
It's like this in a lot of places, even in smaller cities. I live in a city of ~20k people, yet rent is on par with Miami or Seattle. But if you drive 20 miles away you can get half the price (usually for more space); but then you're spending a lot of that money you're saving on fuel/transportation.

It's because they know they can charge pretty much whatever they want, and people will buy it because they have no other options except to move

#4350374 - 04/11/17 02:06 AM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Typically, incomes vary widely too, to match. The only way to make it work for you is to move from high cost to low cost areas, especially in retirement and after you have real estate to sell. Move from San Fran to down here and buy a large lake or beach front property for a fraction of a small house in a crappy inner city neighborhood. A half million will buy one hell of a house here. Only problem is that you're stuck...here. LOL
Also makes it very hard to relocate away from low cost areas.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4350404 - 04/11/17 10:48 AM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
Typically, incomes vary widely too, to match.

The incomes do vary of course depending on which area you live in the US but overall, the affordability of a rent/mortgage compared to average income has decreased over the last several decades.

The bottom line is that people go where the jobs are. Sure, I would love to buy a big house for 200k and live in a quiet small town in Kentucky or Arkansas but what jobs are in that area? Like you said, once you are retired you have a LOT more flexibility in where you can move.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4350451 - 04/11/17 01:23 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I've also noticed that the salaries don't always match the cost of living exactly. For example, while housing costs far more in CA than FL, and taxes are bit higher, if you want to buy furniture, TVs, electronics, music/DVDs, etc the price is the same. Even cars, some fees and the taxes notwithstanding, are the same. While a house in SF costs a LOT more than a house in Orlando, a BMW is pretty much the same.

So the result is that items like that, call them low-end luxury items because they're under $10k (unless you go crazy), are a much smaller part of the salary in CA than FL. Salaries are set based on housing costs for the most part, but the remainder is not equal.

The Jedi Maste

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4350473 - 04/11/17 04:19 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Just wanted to give a big kudos to my hometown of Baton Rouge, LA. I *hated* this place growing up, couldn't wait to leave and did so prematurely (left my new bride behind to finish school). But now I've done a one-eighty, can't get enough of being here. Living in the rurals (north of BR) is less expensive (except internet) and I'm no more than an hour drive to any place I want to go (usually more like 20 to 45 min.).

Oh, it's still a chemical cesspool (see “Fletch Lives”) and in general, looks dirty compared to places like Atlanta and Jacksonville. But I can live with that, also allot of downtown has been cleaned up.

This past Friday evening, downtown BR was crazy. We were at the ballet at the main performing arts theater, next door was the Monster Truck Jam in the big arena, and outside people were everywhere enjoying the Blues Festival and other outdoor live bands (Live After Five). Freaking love it!

Plus the food (in moderation)! readytoeat
https://www.225batonrouge.com/food/food-guide-weekends-baton-rouge-blues-festival

Traffic isn't bad either if you stay off of I-10 (mainly due to lack of lanes) and no problem finding parking (garage is $5.00). BR just isn't that big so you can park and walk to everything.

Last edited by MarkG; 04/11/17 04:33 PM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4350476 - 04/11/17 04:41 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
Just wanted to give a big kudos to my hometown of Baton Rouge, LA. I *hated* this place growing up, couldn't wait to leave and did so prematurely (left my new bride behind to finish school). But now I've done a one-eighty, can't get enough of being here. Living in the rurals (north of BR) is less expensive (except internet) and I'm no more than an hour drive to any place I want to go (usually more like 20 to 45 min.).

Oh, it's still a chemical cesspool (see “Fletch Lives”) and in general, looks dirty compared to places like Atlanta and Jacksonville. But I can live with that, also allot of downtown has been cleaned up.

This past Friday evening, downtown BR was crazy. We were at the ballet at the main performing arts theater, next door was the Monster Truck Jam in the big arena, and outside people were everywhere enjoying the Blues Festival and other outdoor live bands (Live After Five). Freaking love it!

Plus the food (in moderation)! readytoeat
https://www.225batonrouge.com/food/food-guide-weekends-baton-rouge-blues-festival

Traffic isn't bad either if you stay off of I-10 (mainly due to lack of lanes) and no problem finding parking (garage is $5.00). BR just isn't that big so you can park and walk to everything.

What would you say are the major industries/employers in the Baton Rouge area? I'm assuming one of them is petrochemical.

#4350542 - 04/11/17 09:34 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
What would you say are the major industries/employers in the Baton Rouge area? I'm assuming one of them is petrochemical.

Yup. Exxon is probably the biggest employer, followed by Dow Chemical on the other side of the river, further south. But there's several other chemical plants in the area. Georgia Pacific (wife's employer) is one of the biggest in this area (north of BR).

Meh...I just felt like making a graphic of it. smile

Attached Files Baton Rouge.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4350656 - 04/12/17 01:46 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
That sounds...chemically.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4351015 - 04/14/17 05:34 AM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
The last place I rented was a 2 bedroom apartment in Ft Wayne, IN and it was about $750 a month. This was about 17 years ago.

Now I live in a 3 bedroom farm house on 3 acres in the country and pay about the same for my mortgage ($110k).

I believe my area's average home prices are around $200k but you can find million dollar homes as well as $50k or less homes.

Heck, if I was single...I saw an ad for a 2 bedroom nice trailer home (newly remodeled for a vacation house) on a lake lot (nice lake) with a 26' pontoon boat and pier included for $11k. All you'd have to pay was $300 a month for the lot fee.

I couldn't imagine living in any of the big cities with crazy rents and home prices.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4351042 - 04/14/17 10:54 AM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Weasel_Keeper

I couldn't imagine living in any of the big cities with crazy rents and home prices.

I'm sure though that real estate prices and rent in Indianapolis would be dirt cheap compared to big cities in most other states. smile

#4351066 - 04/14/17 12:34 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Groceries are killer, we spent almost $650.00 last night at Costco! eek

Of course it's all bulk-sized quantity, lots of produce, nuts, fish, shrimp and meat, and some toiletries (nothing personal or I wouldn't have posted it). But damn! And their prices can be pretty good too (2.5 lbs. [1.14 kg]) bad of spinach for $4.99). Their quality is also good IMO compared to a typical grocery store (their spinach has a long fridge life before wilting, also their strawberries, oranges, mushrooms, grapes, etc. seem to last longer - except for tomatoes).

We should have started a garden by now (father has a new tiller) but the house project is never-ending.

Attached Files Costco_01.JPGCostco_02.JPG

The sun is in the east
#4351068 - 04/14/17 12:41 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Those groceries are for how many people though?

#4351070 - 04/14/17 12:50 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Mainly for my wife and I, although my parents will probably eat ~30% of it. We eat about half of our meals with them in any given week (they're here 4 - 5 days a week but also bring groceries).

The sun is in the east
#4351136 - 04/14/17 04:47 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Weasel_Keeper

I'm sure though that real estate prices and rent in Indianapolis would be dirt cheap compared to big cities in most other states. smile

Yeah, I don't consider Indy as the metropolitan monster like NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Baltimore, etc. Indy has its high rent districts, but you can still get away from it in smaller cities and towns and even country just outside of the city with a 30+ minute easy drive. The giant cities, they get you because if you work down town you'd have to commute through heavy traffic for hours if you wanted to live in an area that's more affordable. So you want a convenient commute...you pay high rents.

Fort Wayne, where I lived for 20 years and still work is pretty affordable, and about 9 years ago I moved about 30 miles away and it's even more affordable. My property taxes are about 1/3rd of Ft Wayne's, and people can actually buy farm houses with some acreage or nice single family homes for under $200k. Most people around here can find some work in the small town nearby, and a lot commute to the larger cities. I only moved away from Ft Wayne because I missed the rural life that I grew up with and was tired of neighbors and people knocking on my door asking for hand outs...lol. I don't mind the 30 minute drive to and from work, and I know people who drive an hour each way. Plus, if I hear gunshots now, I know it's usually me shooting ground hogs, opossums, or raccoons in my back yard, or hunters in the woods behind my house. wink

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4351139 - 04/14/17 04:53 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Groceries (and related toiletries etc) aren't cheap. Tied with the house note for biggest expense some months.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4351140 - 04/14/17 04:56 PM Re: Vast differences in the cost of living - US only [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The grocery price spike about 10 years ago coincided with the spike in oil prices since the vast majority of our food is transported by trucks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.