Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4350298 - 04/10/17 06:46 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Guess I'm in the minority. I'm loving the two new movies and expect to be happy with the next ones. As good as Ep 4 & 5, continuing what I've always loved about those movies. At this point I could completely do without the Anakin prequels, although Clones wasn't too bad if you cut out the Anakin/Padme scenes.
I never thought I'd see this level of movie for the SW universe, really stepping up the storytelling and bringing back characters I like.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4350299 - 04/10/17 06:48 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
If you take out Jar Jar Binks and the Keystone-cop like Trade Federation droids, Phantom Menace wouldn't be nearly as bad. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4350300 - 04/10/17 06:50 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
It would still be terrible, but perhaps not as bad.
I'd rather keep them and ditch Anakin, pod racing and midichlorians.
The only cool thing about that movie was young Obi Wan and the coolest bad guy they've ever had with Darth Maul. Then they promptly killed him.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4350302 - 04/10/17 06:56 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Jayhawk

The idea for Star Wars basically comes from a guy who loved Kurosawa films and combined those with old Flash Gordon/ Buck Rogers serials.

Genau! smile

When I first watched "The Hidden Fortress" by Kurosawa I was really stunned at the similarities between the princess and the two peasants with Leia/C3PO/R2D2. The inspiration was undeniable.

Also the "screen wiping" cutting effect between different chapters. Trademark Kurosawa.

Other Kurosawa themes that come to mind which also translated into Star Wars (specifically ANH): Kambei and Katsushirō from Seven Samurai (Obi-Wan and Luke); Han Solo borrowed some character traits from Yojimbo (scoundrel with a hidden heart of gold, but brutal if he has to be); the "evil" general from Hidden Fortress as blueprint for Vader; the hiding under the floor panels bit from Sanjuro

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4350307 - 04/10/17 07:13 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Good post Jayhawk! It's also no coincidence that Lucas initially thought of casting Toshiro Mifune in the role of Obi-Wan but unfortunately there was that language barrier issue.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4350310 - 04/10/17 07:19 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Rogue One is a Star Wars film. It is not a Star Wars saga film, hence it has no Episode moniker, but it's not separate.

However, given that it is an immediate prequel to Ep 4 and features numerous characters from the saga films, not calling it Star Wars is inaccurately hairsplitting. The follicle cannot be separated.

The two Ewok TV films could be described as not Star Wars since other than Ewoks it seemed to be in Earth's future, with characters literally from Earth and no talk of an Empire, Rebellion, or other characters. A parallel moon to the one in ROTJ.

Rebels almost could've been that, but once they started bringing in Vader and Maul and Kenobi and Lando and R2 and C3PO and Leia and Wedge and Mon Mothma and Bail Organa (did I miss any?) it was no longer outside the saga.

Seeing as the Han Solo film is also going to be a backstory film, this is heavily in favor of the 6th unannounced film being either Fett or Kenobi "between the trilogy" like the other 2 are.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4350312 - 04/10/17 07:28 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
From the official Star Wars website:

[Linked Image]

So I'd say, yeah, it's a Star Wars movie. smile

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4350337 - 04/10/17 09:54 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
That is the Rogue One logo with Star Wars official font at the bottom, indicating that it belongs to their Star Wars franchise,

Here is the logo for the Star Wars non-stand-alone film series:

Last Jedi logo

So I say what Disney marketing said: it's Rogue One, a Star Wars story. Not Star Wars, Rogue One. That is different.

It does not matter how many cameo appearances there are, or the sheer amount of fan service; this is how Disney is creating their new EU, by doing backstories and filler stories, via multiple media platforms (cinema, TV-shows, books, games). They take place in the same universe, but do not belong to the main story arc; hence different branding. And totally stand-alone stories.

So my hairsplitting, while annoying, is still correct. neaner [size:18pt][/size]

Last edited by Jayhawk; 04/10/17 10:08 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4350554 - 04/11/17 11:21 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

yay!

#4350561 - 04/12/17 01:01 AM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Jayhawk]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
That is the Rogue One logo with Star Wars official font at the bottom, indicating that it belongs to their Star Wars franchise,

Here is the logo for the Star Wars non-stand-alone film series:

Last Jedi logo

So I say what Disney marketing said: it's Rogue One, a Star Wars story. Not Star Wars, Rogue One. That is different.

It does not matter how many cameo appearances there are, or the sheer amount of fan service; this is how Disney is creating their new EU, by doing backstories and filler stories, via multiple media platforms (cinema, TV-shows, books, games). They take place in the same universe, but do not belong to the main story arc; hence different branding. And totally stand-alone stories.

So my hairsplitting, while annoying, is still correct. neaner [size:18pt][/size]

To me, if it's a movie, and has Star Wars in the title, it's a Star Wars movie :P

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4350618 - 04/12/17 11:54 AM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Bib4Tuna
Did anyone else noticed that Krennic was promoted after capturing #%&*$# Erso from Six Cherry Jolly Ranchers (really?... that name is censored?).

[Linked Image]

to Six Cherry Jolly Ranchers and Six Hall's Mentho-Lyptus Ice Peppermint Drops , which is somehow the inverse candy rank as Tarkin?

[Linked Image]

I've discovered that rank insignia on most sci-fi movies and tv shows don't make much sense.

I think the best established rank insignia and nomenclature ever devised was for the original cast Star Trek films (from ST II through ST VI). And besides, those red and black uniforms just looked super great.

#4350626 - 04/12/17 12:28 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I've discovered that rank insignia on most sci-fi movies and tv shows don't make much sense.

I think the best established rank insignia and nomenclature ever devised was for the original cast Star Trek films (from ST II through ST VI). And besides, those red and black uniforms just looked super great.

I reckon a lot of them are retro-realised and are probably the originally designed to look somewhat "rankish" without a clear progression in mind smile

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.