#4350196 - 04/10/17 12:52 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: DM]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted by DM
Jedi, not "light side Sith", of course biggrin brainfart.

I'd call that "happy accident", because the Jedi as presented by the prequels are, in the best case, a bunch of incompetent hypocrites, and worst case, not all that different from the Sith. The Sith at least were up front and unapologetic about their methods. biggrin

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4350203 - 04/10/17 01:12 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Jayhawk, I do agree that there is such a thing as over-analyzing/over-thinking a scifi movie or franchise.

But hey, us geeks need to stay busy. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4350205 - 04/10/17 01:27 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Jayhawk]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
IMO, Star Wars stopped being Star Wars in 1983. Everything coming afterwards is just expensive fan fiction. (Lucas was his own biggest fan, so there! smile ). Of all the fan fiction since then, I much prefer the animated series "Rebels" to the rest of the material. Oh, and the novel "Lost Stars". Incidentally, both are geared towards a teenage audience, yet are - IMO - better than the big budget movies that have been produced between 1999 and now.

I didn't really even dig RoTJ if I'm honest. It fell far, far short of the huge promise of TESB. IMO it should have ended the way it was (allegedly) supposed to end: that Luke went to the dark side to protect his sister. But, Lucas wanted no barriers to selling his Luke Skywalker toy range, so there you have it :/

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4350206 - 04/10/17 01:27 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Jayhawk, I do agree that there is such a thing as over-analyzing/over-thinking a scifi movie or franchise.

But hey, us geeks need to stay busy. biggrin

I was referring to those at Disney in charge of "developing" the franchise (Kennedy and her minions).

Geeks on the other hand should over-analyze and then debate endlessly with each other to their heart's content. biggrin

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4350208 - 04/10/17 01:32 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: DM]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted by DM
IMO, Star Wars stopped being Star Wars in 1983. Everything coming afterwards is just expensive fan fiction. (Lucas was his own biggest fan, so there! smile ). Of all the fan fiction since then, I much prefer the animated series "Rebels" to the rest of the material. Oh, and the novel "Lost Stars". Incidentally, both are geared towards a teenage audience, yet are - IMO - better than the big budget movies that have been produced between 1999 and now.

I didn't really even dig RoTJ if I'm honest. It fell far, far short of the huge promise of TESB. IMO it should have ended the way it was (allegedly) supposed to end: that Luke went to the dark side to protect his sister. But, Lucas wanted no barriers to selling his Luke Skywalker toy range, so there you have it :/

Figures that the best Star Wars film was the one with which Lucas was least involved. biggrin

Lucas unfortunately did not understand and recongnize his true strenths, and thought he could do it all by himself.

#4350209 - 04/10/17 01:37 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I was referring to those at Disney in charge of "developing" the franchinse (Kennedy and her minions).

Ah, ok. Well, until Disney has a Star Wars movie flop at the box office, they won't be changing their methodology any time soon.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4350210 - 04/10/17 01:40 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Jayhawk]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Figures that the best Star Wars film was the one with which Lucas was least involved. biggrin

Lucas unfortunately did not understand and recongnize his true strenths, and thought he could do it all by himself.

Lucas is interested in the merchandising primarily. Complex characters gets in the way of that smile

I will give Lucas his dues though - he does recognise good design when he sees it (for the most part. Ewoks and Jabba's palace shenanigans - eeuughhh). For me SW has always been about the design, and proved with the first movie that you cannot spend too much on design. But he himself is not as creative as he's credited for, but he is a good businessman I suppose.

Last edited by DM; 04/10/17 01:41 PM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4350227 - 04/10/17 03:04 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted by DM

You think Rogue One was the best film? That's unusual.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4350266 - 04/10/17 05:13 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
No, no, O Great Hairsplitter, I was of course referencing the time when he still owned the IP.

What Disney is doing to the franchise is SWINO. Just like the reboot of the Trek franchise. I like to call that "total conversion mod". smile

Also, Rogue One is not a Star Wars film, it's a separate film set in Disney's version of the Star Wars universe (different score, no title crawl...). The hairsplitting apprentice has now become the master. lightsabers

#4350268 - 04/10/17 05:19 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: DM]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted by DM

Lucas is interested in the merchandising primarily. Complex characters gets in the way of that smile

I will give Lucas his dues though - he does recognise good design when he sees it (for the most part. Ewoks and Jabba's palace shenanigans - eeuughhh). For me SW has always been about the design, and proved with the first movie that you cannot spend too much on design. But he himself is not as creative as he's credited for, but he is a good businessman I suppose.

IMO Lucas did quite a lot more. Together with Spielberg he basically invented the modern blockbuster. He revolutionized special effects. And he found a way to make schlock enjoyable to watch, and how to make a "Sithload" of money from selling merchandise. smile

The idea for Star Wars basically comes from a guy who loved Kurosawa films and combined those with old Flash Gordon/ Buck Rogers serials. And then...went nuts. popcorn

#4350270 - 04/10/17 05:19 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Either way, Rogue One was a huge improvement over Force Awakens in my opinion.

#4350272 - 04/10/17 05:22 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

The idea for Star Wars basically comes from a guy who loved Kurosawa films and combined those with old Flash Gordon/ Buck Rogers serials.

Genau! smile

When I first watched "The Hidden Fortress" by Kurosawa I was really stunned at the similarities between the princess and the two peasants with Leia/C3PO/R2D2. The inspiration was undeniable.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/10/17 05:23 PM.

#4350275 - 04/10/17 05:25 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
WHAT not a Star Wars film

Darth Vader check
X-wing fighters check
C3PO and R2DS check
light sabers check
Death Star check
guns that go pew-pew check
weak Rebels check

#4350278 - 04/10/17 05:36 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Falstar]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted by Falstar
WHAT not a Star Wars film...

Exactly. Not a Star Wars (tm) film. A Star Wars related story in the Star Wars universe.

According to Disney, only films following the, let's call it Main Quest, are officially Star Wars films: Episodes I through whenever they are finished. The stand alone films (Rogue One, Han Solo, Boba Fett, Lando, Young Jabba, whatever) are considered "filler", or "Side Quests". Hence no "Star Wars" in the logo, a different score and no title crawl.

#4350280 - 04/10/17 05:42 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
While we argue about what is Star Wars and what isn't, Lucas is enjoying his 4 billion that he made from selling his IP. biggrin

#4350283 - 04/10/17 06:12 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
And apparently he's already regretting having sold it to Disney.

I would have taken the money, renamed Skywalker Ranch into Howard the Duck Ranch (oh no, wait, isn't Howard the Duck also Disney's IP?Had a cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy, so he probably belongs to Disney), and forget about the whole thing. Easy when you have an additional four billion reasons to forget.

And he can now focus on making Red Tails 2. smile

#4350285 - 04/10/17 06:15 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

And he can now focus on making Red Tails 2. smile

LOL Jayhawk. You're on a roll today!

Making a Red Tails 2 should qualify as a crime against humanity as per The Hague Convention.

#4350292 - 04/10/17 06:36 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Jayhawk]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
WHAT not a Star Wars film...

Exactly. Not a Star Wars (tm) film. A Star Wars related story in the Star Wars universe.

According to Disney, only films following the, let's call it Main Quest, are officially Star Wars films: Episodes I through whenever they are finished. The stand alone films (Rogue One, Han Solo, Boba Fett, Lando, Young Jabba, whatever) are considered "filler", or "Side Quests". Hence no "Star Wars" in the logo, a different score and no title crawl.

Unofficially, any stories (movies) where C3PO or R2 are not directly involved (in many and varying degrees) are Extended Universe, since they are the witnesses to the story, Especially R2, since 3PO's memory was wiped. Rogue One falls more in the category or Clone Wars and Rebels....and the Ewoks cartoons. For me, these are just fan-fic stories. I don't need fan service.

The movies have shown to me that Star Wars is best when it's telling a new (separate) story. When it tries to tie things together or do any kind of prequel, it just messes things up. and need to force apologetic arguments to glue things together so they still make sense.

Still, if anybody would make the Timothy Zahn's Thrawn quadrology (soon to be a pentalogy....ummm...quintology?) as movies, I would pay good money to see that....even though they were disavowed when Disney bought the rights.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 04/10/17 06:48 PM.
#4350294 - 04/10/17 06:40 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I took a look at his IMDb page. Does he get any royalties from lets say, "Robot Chicken" and the gay xxx parodies?

#4350297 - 04/10/17 06:44 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Falstar]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Does he get any royalties from lets say, "Robot Chicken" and the gay xxx parodies?

My understanding is no because usually parodies are exempt from copyright issues.

For example, I don't think Mel Brooks had to pay Lucas for making "Spaceballs".

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/10/17 06:45 PM.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.