Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4348342 - 04/01/17 04:07 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Saw Gerrera actually did not just give up and deny his tactical knowledge to the rebels... that would be silly.

He actually had a long passionate love affair with Bor Gullet (the mind reading octopus alien), and they had a death pact for whatever day they got attacked because, as you well know, octopi can not run very well.

So even when the final shot only shows us Saw's face when the cave collapsed, you should have seen the things Bor was doing to him in the background.

Saw died a happy man.

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4349964 - 04/09/17 02:15 AM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Did anyone else noticed that Krennic was promoted after capturing #%&*$# Erso from Six Cherry Jolly Ranchers (really?... that name is censored?).

[Linked Image]

to Six Cherry Jolly Ranchers and Six Hall's Mentho-Lyptus Ice Peppermint Drops , which is somehow the inverse candy rank as Tarkin?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 04/09/17 02:17 AM.
#4349973 - 04/09/17 03:47 AM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
It was a very short lived promotion....

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4349974 - 04/09/17 03:54 AM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
The whole rank rectangle thing has always been a mystery to me, and I like to keep it that way, just like the Purina dog chow square the Rebels have.

smile

I just watched this on Blu-Ray and it blew up pretty good, IMHO.

Lots of fan service!

Stilted dialog? Check.
Romance without chemistry? Check.
Pew Pew? Check.
Big explosions? Check.
Friggin' teenagers making adult stuff get destroyed? Check.
Droids telling the best jokes and being the most relateable people in the film? Check.
Random cameos of minor characters for no reason? Check. ("I'm wanted on twelve systems....").

At least they didn't do any little kid pandering. No fart jokes, for example (I'm looking at you Episode I). When they say loads of people lost their lives to get the plans, they weren't kidding.

Seriously, there's a lot I liked about this film, the largest being that the Rebellion isn't painted as a bunch of Lawful Good Paladin types who never do anything dark or underhanded. Nobody has clean hands. Dude straight up kills a trusted informant because he has a bum arm and can't climb away from the Storm Troopers....and he's the main hero! Well, the co-hero. The Jen chick is supposed to be the hero, I guess, but she's really just a tool that gets used again and again.

Luke is clueless about either the Empire or the Rebellion in Episode IV and V. He was, if we'll all remember, whining about not being able to join "the academy" to become a pilot. The only folks running flight academies one applied for as a student would be the Empire! And his exposure to the Rebellion was some old dude known for being a crazy hermit and a hot chick in a hologram...and then a filmy white dress under which she wore no underwear.

Han knows, but keeps it to himself. The Rebels are sufficiently questionable in actions that Chewie, who fought in the Clone Wars and helped Yoda escape, opted out to pal around with Han in smuggling stuff for Hutts and their ilk.

Oh, on CGI. Both CGI'd actors looked too thin in the face. But a passable attempt.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4350036 - 04/09/17 03:29 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The CGI Peter Cushing was freakishly well done. What a huge improvement over that terrible young version of Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4350076 - 04/09/17 06:24 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Dart]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted by Dart
When they say loads of people lost their lives to get the plans, they weren't kidding. (You are thinking of ROTJ [...many Bothans died....etc.] Nobody was supposed to die in the first stealing of the plans, since they were "intercepted".... but that is now changed thanks to Disney).

Seriously, there's a lot I liked about this film, the largest being that the Rebellion isn't painted as a bunch of Lawful Good Paladin types who never do anything dark or underhanded. Nobody has clean hands. Dude straight up kills a trusted informant because he has a bum arm and can't climb away from the Storm Troopers....and he's the main hero! Well, the co-hero. (kinda forced to compare to "Han Solo shot first" scoundrel plot of the original. Hopefully it does not get changed in a future edit. Same as Han Solo also, he never shows these personality traits again in the movie. He actually disobeyed the shoot to kill order he is given....although, by coincidence, it worked out for him at the end).

The Jen chick is supposed to be the hero, I guess, but she's really just a tool that gets used again and again. (What did she do again? Oh yeah...she ID'd a file.)

Luke is clueless about either the Empire or the Rebellion in Episode IV and V. He was, if we'll all remember, whining about not being able to join "the academy" to become a pilot. The only folks running flight academies one applied for as a student would be the Empire! And his exposure to the Rebellion was some old dude known for being a crazy hermit and a hot chick in a hologram...and then a filmy white dress under which she wore no underwear. (...your point? I think it is called a "character arc".)

Han knows, but keeps it to himself. (the current official story is that Han was an Imperial cadet at some point and defected...therefore the stripe on his pants....but Disney can change that with the new movie) The Rebels are sufficiently questionable in actions that Chewie, who fought in the Clone Wars and helped Yoda escape, opted out to pal around with Han in smuggling stuff for Hutts and their ilk. (that never happened, that never happened...that... never... happened... sigh ............ biggrin ).

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 04/09/17 06:32 PM.
#4350079 - 04/09/17 06:33 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by Bib4Tuna
Originally Posted by Dart
When they say loads of people lost their lives to get the plans, they weren't kidding. (You are thinking of ROTJ [...many Bothans died....etc.] Nobody was supposed to die in the first stealing of the plans, since they were "intercepted".... but that is now changed thanks to Disney).

Seriously, there's a lot I liked about this film, the largest being that the Rebellion isn't painted as a bunch of Lawful Good Paladin types who never do anything dark or underhanded. Nobody has clean hands. Dude straight up kills a trusted informant because he has a bum arm and can't climb away from the Storm Troopers....and he's the main hero! Well, the co-hero. (kinda forced to compare to "Han Solo shot first" scoundrel plot of the original. Hopefully it does not get changed in a future edit. Same as Han Solo also, he never shows these personality traits again in the movie. He actually dissobeyed teh shoot to kill order he is given....although, by coincidence, it worked out for him at the end).

The Jen chick is supposed to be the hero, I guess, but she's really just a tool that gets used again and again. (What did she do again? Oh yeah...she ID'd a file.)

Luke is clueless about either the Empire or the Rebellion in Episode IV and V. He was, if we'll all remember, whining about not being able to join "the academy" to become a pilot. The only folks running flight academies one applied for as a student would be the Empire! And his exposure to the Rebellion was some old dude known for being a crazy hermit and a hot chick in a hologram...and then a filmy white dress under which she wore no underwear. (...your point? I think it is called a "character arc".)

Han knows, but keeps it to himself. (the current official story is that Han was an Imperial cadet at some point and defected...therefore the stripe on his pants....but Disney can change that with the new movie) The Rebels are sufficiently questionable in actions that Chewie, who fought in the Clone Wars and helped Yoda escape, opted out to pal around with Han in smuggling stuff for Hutts and their ilk. (that never happened, that never happened...that... never... happened... sigh ............ biggrin ).

I don't think the original stealing of the plans was supposed to be "death-free." Look at the text of the original opening crawl:

It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire. During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire’s ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet. Pursued by the Empire’s sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy….

Seems to me that if there was a battle, it would be surprising to have no deaths.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4350082 - 04/09/17 06:38 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

I'd accept it is vague enough to say for sure...however...

#4350091 - 04/09/17 07:51 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I'm sorry, I'm actually not sure what that clip is supposed to say about deaths - can you explain? I know that Vader says transmissions were beamed about this ship, and in Rogue One it was the larger ship, but I think they tried to address that by having Leia's ship docked inside of the larger ship, in essence making them one at the time of the transmission. Also, Leia says they're on a diplomatic mission, but I take that as just a cover story in case they can't be directly traced back to Scarif, and the opening crawl does say she was pursued, so the empire must have been after her for a reason. But even with that, I don't get anything from that clip that addresses lives lost or not, so I must be missing something.

Ken Cartwright

#4350097 - 04/09/17 08:21 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Oh!...pardon...silly, silly me!

I meant to post this video instead.

Hope that clarifies what I was thinking!

thumbsup

#4350098 - 04/09/17 08:23 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Ohhhhkaaaaayy....

Ken Cartwright

#4350142 - 04/10/17 03:45 AM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
It was a very short lived promotion....

Wasn't about 15 years?

For Dart...

[Linked Image]

#4350149 - 04/10/17 04:57 AM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Neat.

Always look to the left on a senior officer to spot the ink pen; the Colonel will be pissed if you miss it!

I just watched Rogue One and Episode IV back to back, and it's pretty seamless. It explains why Leia had them go straight from the Death Star to Yavin - they already knew what was in the plans, just not the specifics - even though she knew they were being tracked. Therefore, no convincing of what needed to be done and they got right on it. The sense of urgency makes sense.

On Vader seeing the ship flee Data Farm Planet, catching it, and Leia pulling the lame "we're a diplomatic mission" stuff, well, what was she supposed to say? "Yep, you got us!" Might as well play the BS story to the hilt, especially since the Senate was still a thing.

On Luke and the naive picture of the Rebellion in the Orig Trig...it makes sense, as it's from Luke's perspective. Luke is a mushroom (kept in the dark and fed BS), to be sure, a single disposable tool to get Vader to turn on the Emperor. I just always thought the Rebellion was painted as too goody-goody in the movies. Again, because it's all from Luke's perspective and is limited to the things he does (including bailing on the Rebellion to do light gymnastics in a swamp).*

I also pegged why Tarkin looks weird in Rogue One; they made his face too expressive, with too much motion above the eyebrows in the CGI version. The actual actor only uses his eyebrows for emphasis on main points and rarely moves his forehead muscles. Indeed, he's an example of conservation of movement to give him a larger sense of authority. So they animated him in a too...animated...manner, making him a bobblehead by comparison.

All in all, Rogue One was a very good addition to the Star Wars saga, even if it ruins all the jokes about why the f**k they had an exhaust port that went straight down to the reactor. It wasn't a design flaw, it was a feature.

* I like the theory that what we're seeing in the movies is actually a retelling of the events by R2-D2 after the fact, which would explain the terrible dialog (he's filling in blanks for when he wasn't there and guessing what people say to romance each other), the inconsistencies, and why C3PO look so hapless and useless 99% of the time.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4350167 - 04/10/17 11:04 AM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: Falstar]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Falstar

Wasn't about 15 years?

]

Yes, you are right. I guess my head was thinking strictly within the time frame of the movie. biggrin

#4350177 - 04/10/17 11:41 AM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I kind of always thought those were pens also. Didn't know they are "Data Cylinders" . So the bigger your USB thumb drive the more important you are. Just like in real life. lol

#4350180 - 04/10/17 11:56 AM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
One design decision I'll never understand from the Star Wars universe are the colors of the lasers.

Imperial ships and fighters fire green lasers while Rebel ships and fighters fire red lasers even though for Jedi/Sith it is reversed. Green lightsabers are only used by Jedi while red lightsabers are only used by Sith.

The color red has pretty much always been associated with evil in movies.

#4350187 - 04/10/17 12:14 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
One design decision I'll never understand from the Star Wars universe are the colors of the lasers.

Imperial ships and fighters fire green lasers while Rebel ships and fighters fire red lasers even though for Jedi/Sith it is reversed. Green lightsabers are only used by Jedi while red lightsabers are only used by Sith.

The color red has pretty much always been associated with evil in movies.

I don't know, but I'm OK with arbitrary colours being used rather than "red = bad" etc smile
In the very fist movie, i.e. Ep IV, the light sabres for light side Sith are blue. I think green only happened when Luke made his own in Ep VI yes? (After losing his old one in Ep V.)

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4350188 - 04/10/17 12:18 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: DM]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DM

I don't know, but I'm OK with arbitrary colours being used rather than "red = bad" etc smile
In the very fist movie, i.e. Ep IV, the light sabres for light side Sith are blue. I think green only happened when Luke made his own in Ep VI yes? (After losing his old one in Ep V.)

There's only one Sith in "A New Hope" and that is Vader who had a red lightsaber. Obi-Wan had a blue one and of course he was Jedi.

In the SW prequels there were several Jedi who had a green lightsaber.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/10/17 12:19 PM.

#4350189 - 04/10/17 12:33 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Jedi, not "light side Sith", of course biggrin brainfart.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4350193 - 04/10/17 12:46 PM Re: Star Wars Rogue One [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
IIRC, the colour of the lightsaber "blade" is dependent on the type of "Kyber-Chrystal" used. For some reason I've already forgotten, Sith prefered chrystals that created a red blade. Also, according to the new Disney canon crap, apparently the ability to wield the lightsaber is dependent of the strenght of the force that the user is sending through the chrystal or some such nonsense. Or not. I've reached a point where I really don't care anymore. Well, at least there are no Midichlorians living inside those chrystals. I guess at least that's something. smile

Way too much overthinking went into the unnecessary little details, while at the same time retconning the, err, "Sith" out of whole franchise.

IMO, Star Wars stopped being Star Wars in 1983. Everything coming afterwards is just expensive fan fiction. (Lucas was his own biggest fan, so there! smile ). Of all the fan fiction since then, I much prefer the animated series "Rebels" to the rest of the material. Oh, and the novel "Lost Stars". Incidentally, both are geared towards a teenage audience, yet are - IMO - better than the big budget movies that have been produced between 1999 and now.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.