Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4350162 - 04/10/17 09:43 AM Mystery-SOLVED-Old WoFF 1 Campaign seems to cause Performance problems.  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Hello boffins,

Here's a little story for you who may be interested...

I've been through a very long and rigorous process to try and get to the bottom of a problem I've been having with a campaign I started in WOFF 1 and ported over to WOFF UE. The campaign in question is for Jasta 5, May 1917.

I noticed that, after upgrading to UE, my game would turn into a slideshow at random intervals so, in an attempt to purge this annoying occurrence from my game I have done the following:

Re-installed WOFF UE and patched it again (4.14 or whatever the latest one is).
Re-installed my nVidia drivers
Tested with all mods disabled (Made little difference)
Check run as administrator
Check compatibility mode
Check aircraft cloned correctly in install
Lowered "Regional Air Activity" (This made the slideshows shorter in duration so the problem is partially connected to this)
Lowered all graphical settings across the board (This was pretty helpful but didn't solve the issue, GTX 760)
Tested new driver settings in nVidia inspector (These improved FPS and smoothness, yay!)
Cleaned my PC of dust
Farted about in BIOS to get some more CPU power (A whopping 300Mhz brings me up to the "Turbo" speed of 3.3GHz, Intel CoreQuad i5 Core 2 Quad 3330)
Re-introduced a system paging file onto my C: drive. (Usually I don't bother having one)
I don't use antivirus
I don't install malware on my machine (the Malwarebytes confirms this)

My hardware isn't stellar but it's not THAT bad, I'm not playing on a toaster that's been liberated from some office cubicle or a laptop.

3.3GHz i5 series i3330,
nVidia GTX 760,
16GB RAM,
High RPM HDD with over 100GB of free space.
The CPU is a little weak so I expect some hitching but I can stream and play games in 1080p with it, no problemos.

All of this fiddling around has helped my Jasta 5 career and made the game run 110% better but it did not fix the Jasta 5 career, the slideshows are minimal now, they only last a few seconds but I do get big freezes in combat. Because of this I tried a 20v20 dogfight in quick mission just to see what happened, I had no problems at all apart from me giggling like a lunatic as I fought off 20 DH2s. I know that the campaign has more resources loading into a mission than a quick mission does but I wanted to test something that put a lot of planes in the air just to see what happened.

At this point I refused to accept that the wider game was at fault, it just seemed ridiculous and illogical that this should be the case so I started another career and, to my surprise/joy/chagrin everything ran smooth as silk. Just to be sure I made another campaign at the same time of the war with the same settings as the old Jasta 5 one, in the same region but in a different aircraft and, once again, smooth as silk. (Just the occasional hiccup when something spawned or when a LoD for a forest or something changed detail level, nothing to cry about). This got me thinking that it was either the Jasta 5 campaign or the Albatros D.III that was to blame. I was running a reskin mod for the Albatros cockpit so I disabled that and tested again, no difference.

I'm thinking that this campaign might be the thing that has issues. Is it possible that something has gotten corrupted or badly transposed by the shift from WoFF1 to WoFF UE?

I'd be very interested to hear if there is any precedent for this, it looks like there will be some disappointed viewers on my YouTube channel because the Jasta 5 career will be going in the bin (unless some genius can help me), I don't want to be uploading footage of me constantly getting angry at this game for not working properly. Especially when it isn't the game's fault.

P.S. I use nVidia software to record and stream, the performance impact is basically negligible (Tested with and without of course, makes no difference)

Last edited by JimmyBlonde; 04/11/17 05:58 AM.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4350181 - 04/10/17 12:00 PM Re: Mystery--Old WoFF 1 Campaign seems to cause Performance problems. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
It could well be that it got corrupted.

I have had WOFF 1/2/3/UE get corrupted just from installing and uninstalling some of my mod over and over while constantly testing them to get everything correct before their release.

All it takes is a small electrical spike that you do not see while doing something with any of the files and that can rearrange some of the bits making up the file to be changed and thus corrupting your file.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4350190 - 04/10/17 12:37 PM Re: Mystery--Old WoFF 1 Campaign seems to cause Performance problems. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
not sure but isnt an I3 cpu only dual core?

and on the side I also get stutters, mostly just after take off when the formation is formed and moving out.

ooops my eyes are failing

Last edited by lederhosen; 04/10/17 08:52 PM.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4350207 - 04/10/17 01:29 PM Re: Mystery--Old WoFF 1 Campaign seems to cause Performance problems. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

It's and i5 and I can assure you it's a quad core. I edited my OP since the way I worded it made it a little ambiguous.

These weren't stutters, stutters I can live with, this was the game grinding down to a 5 FPS nightmare for 30 seconds in the middle of a mission at random times.

Last edited by JimmyBlonde; 04/10/17 01:31 PM.

#4350224 - 04/10/17 03:02 PM Re: Mystery--Old WoFF 1 Campaign seems to cause Performance problems. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Sorry if you've tried already Jimmy,but have you tried the CPU at stock mate..no overclocking?

Overclocked CPUs can sometimes yield poorer results..best of luck in your attempts at resolving your issue pal.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4350371 - 04/11/17 01:41 AM Re: Mystery--Old WoFF 1 Campaign seems to cause Performance problems. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

I haven't overclocked it at all, just changed settings in BIOS. THe CPU is designed for 3.3GHz but it's considered "turbo" for marketing reasons or something, it's not overclockable anyway. I've just changed it so that the turbo is handled automatically now instead of always being available through the multiplier. My motherboard won't let me go over the stock speed of 3.3 GHz.

Last edited by JimmyBlonde; 04/11/17 01:59 AM.

#4350386 - 04/11/17 05:57 AM Re: Mystery--Old WoFF 1 Campaign seems to cause Performance problems. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Addendum--

Upon starting the exact same career in WoFF UE over again, my testing showed the problem to be resolved. (Definitively, my first mission was heavy clouds, crawling with planes and all kinds of action, no slideshow)

Mystery solved so far as I am concerned, I'm willing attribute this problem to the old campaign file somehow being corrupt or out of date.

#4350402 - 04/11/17 10:37 AM Re: Mystery--Old WoFF 1 Campaign seems to cause Performance problems. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Nice one Jimmy,glad you seem to have the issue sorted,as soon has I get in from work il check your vids out.

All the best pal

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4363628 - 06/13/17 02:19 PM Re: Mystery--Old WoFF 1 Campaign seems to cause Performance problems. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Yes although technically it's not exactly overclocked it is on permanently and some of those CPUs are designed to do it in bursts. so overriding that can of course cause a problem.

WOFF will tax your CPU and components throttling can occur on some over clocked setups. We recommend removing any non default CPU settings in the BIOS.

Covered in the WOFF UE FAQ for troubleshooting section 15.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.