Hop To
#4347929 - 03/30/17 06:51 PM Cedar Key bites another pilot  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I have posted about a couple of my flights to Cedar Key. It is a frequent destination for me because it is a nice distance for a lunch, pretty scenery, a bit of a challenge to a pilot, and is a fun town to visit. The field is a bit of a challenge because several reasons; runway is somewhat short with a displaced threshold on the most common heading, poor markings, no weather reporting, single runway so crosswinds are always a possibility, no taxiway so everything is back-taxi on the runway, coastal weather that can rapidly change, and a lot of birds. I have flown there only to cancel landing because I could see the sea fog building and while I knew I could get in I wasn't sure about getting out. When I first started flying there was a Piper in the water as a reminder that it was not kind to errors. Now it's a Mooney.

Anyway- it has struck again.

http://wcjb.com/local-news/2017/03/plane-overshoots-runway-crashes-cedar-key-coast

https://skyvector.com/airport/CDK/George-T-Lewis-Airport

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4348024 - 03/31/17 06:24 AM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Damn... well, thankfully they were able to walk (wade) away from it.

And I can attest to oldgrognard's caution regarding that airport. I have been with him on an aborted trip up there, and I fully concurred with the wisdom of it.

#4348073 - 03/31/17 12:56 PM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Quite a short runway for a Mooney, but at least landing shouldn't be a problem. From the video it sounded like the engine quit during a go-around?

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4348120 - 03/31/17 04:34 PM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
We pilots hate to ever admit error. I'm not as convinced that his engine failed as that he waited to long to initiate the go-around. Was too low, slow and dirty and couldn't get a positive rate of climb. May have started retracting flaps before he had the airspeed and positive rate of climb. In the balance of equipment failure and pilot error, sadly pilot error is most often the underlying issue. Failure to execute proper pitch, power, and configuration for your aircraft.

But I'm just spitballing some of my thoughts.

You are right semmern about landing. People talk about the landing at Cedar Key, but I'm more on edge for takeoff. Once you firewall the throttle you are committed. By the time you would want to abort the takeoff you are past the abort point.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4348332 - 04/01/17 03:31 PM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by oldgrognard

You are right semmern about landing. People talk about the landing at Cedar Key, but I'm more on edge for takeoff. Once you firewall the throttle you are committed. By the time you would want to abort the takeoff you are past the abort point.

Yep, with most GA planes of the Mooney's calibre, landing on a fairly short runway isn't a problem, but getting off again in the same distance might be, especially if there are obstacles around.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4348625 - 04/02/17 07:35 PM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Flew over Cedar Key today on the way back from Tallahassee. Since I last flew in, they resurfaced the runway and did new markings. Looks very good; especially compared to what it was like. Thought I was going to get pictures of the plane that went in last week, but they have already pulled it out. If it had still been in the water, I would have done a low pass and taken pictures. These are from 2,000 feet. You can see how much displaced threshold there is which really reduces the usable runway.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4348697 - 04/03/17 09:55 AM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Nice pics. Certainly looks quite useable for any pilot who consistently manages to put his plane down at the spot he aims for.

You have some nice airports over there. The two times I've been in the US I have always been impressed by the number of airports, smaller airfields and little dirt and grass strips.

#4349416 - 04/06/17 03:18 AM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
The fact that people live in that area still amazes me.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4349447 - 04/06/17 10:21 AM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Well, it's nice to be able to go into the sea at any time. Of course it's not so nice when the sea is able to go into your house anytime.

#4349639 - 04/07/17 03:55 AM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st
Well, it's nice to be able to go into the sea at any time. Of course it's not so nice when the sea is able to go into your house anytime.

Yep, That was what I was alluding to in my prior post.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4349678 - 04/07/17 12:25 PM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Flew over Cedar Key today on the way back from Tallahassee. Since I last flew in, they resurfaced the runway and did new markings. Looks very good; especially compared to what it was like. Thought I was going to get pictures of the plane that went in last week, but they have already pulled it out. If it had still been in the water, I would have done a low pass and taken pictures. These are from 2,000 feet. You can see how much displaced threshold there is which really reduces the usable runway.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I looked at the pictures before I read your post and was going to ask: Why is there so much non usable runway, especially on the southwesterly runway (23)?

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4349698 - 04/07/17 01:41 PM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
The Airfield Directory has the cause as the civilian use road at that end. It uses the approach angle and the height of traffic to establish that displaced threshold. I have a picture somewhere that shows the issue very clearly.

#4349706 - 04/07/17 02:27 PM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Ahhh. I could see that maybe with the homes and development to the northeast. Thanks!!

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4349717 - 04/07/17 03:02 PM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Here is a plane on approach to runway 23.

[Linked Image]

You can see how close he is passing over the road. Even then, he touched down beyond the displaced threshold. I usually do similar in that I get low and slow balancing everything for a short field touchdown. I've tried a steeper slow approach, but seem to come out better doing the same as him.

[Linked Image]

Almost to touchdown.

[Linked Image]

As you can see, this is before they resurfaced and marked the runway. It used to be in a little bit less than pristine condition.

#4349840 - 04/08/17 05:57 AM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Cool pictures OG. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4349853 - 04/08/17 10:43 AM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
The Airfield Directory has the cause as the civilian use road at that end. It uses the approach angle and the height of traffic to establish that displaced threshold. I have a picture somewhere that shows the issue very clearly.

Same thing happened to the airfield I used to use, road went right across the eastern end of the runway, so they closed the road and the shortened the runway at the other end as the flight path passes over a road that cannot be closed as it is the sole access to the fishing village of Ackergill.

In the 1970s a friend of mine lost his life when he flew to Wick and tried to land in fog, too low, too slow and stalled his aircraft into a boundary wall of a field just off the top left of the picture. He was advised not to fly as by the time he got to Wick it would be fog bound, he didn't listen frown

[Linked Image]

Some really great diving sites around the coast there, the small bay where the aircraft comes in across has a natural arch under the water that you can swim through

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4349956 - 04/08/17 11:20 PM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Gisborne has their own runway hazard. zombie

Source: https://youtu.be/ObfxYwKuwaM

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4352682 - 04/21/17 10:03 PM Re: Cedar Key bites another pilot [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
The Cedar Key area claims another airplane, but thankfully no lives.

https://www.workboat.com/news/coast...rescues-two-small-plane-crashes-florida/

It's like a Bermuda Triangle. biggrin

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.