Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4348396 - 04/01/17 08:47 PM What's Up???  
Squeakity Offline
Squeakity  Offline

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon my 4.0 Allied Force disc.
It took me about a year and a half to become what I consider to be quite fluent, dare I say skilled with this combat flight sim.
Now it's been years since I've played and I've come to find that not all things are like "riding a bike".
The issue I'm having is that from ramp start, once my radar is aligned and I go to switch to "NAV" mode, I sometimes lose my flight line in my right hand MFD.
Shouldn't be a huge deal as the knee pad shows coords headings etc to steer points but when I attempt to fly a mission without my flight line I end up in BF Egypt and running on fumes.
I've never run Falcon on this particular computer and I have noticed some issues with "F" key commands so I'm hoping I'm simply overlooking something that might be a simple fix.
Before you suggest I switch over to FF let me just say that I feel I need to reacquaint myself with the basics before making the upgrade.
Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks,
Squeakity_Squeak

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4348397 - 04/01/17 08:54 PM Re: What's Up??? [Re: Squeakity]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Squeakit
I've come to find that not all things are like "riding a bike".

Agreed there.

The issue I'm having is that from ramp start, once my radar is aligned and I go to switch to "NAV" mode, I sometimes lose my flight line in my right hand MFD.

You mean your flight path right? Long time since AF so not sure at the moment what the cause or correction is.
Before you suggest I switch over to FF

I am confident no one around here will do that. Now BMS on the other hand.....

Welcome to SimHQ

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4348406 - 04/01/17 09:33 PM Re: What's Up??? [Re: DBond]  
Squeakity Offline
Squeakity  Offline

Thanks much DBond. It's good to be here.
Still holding out hope that someone can throw me a quick fix but when I consider the inconsistency with which this condition occurs I'm inclined to believe that it's simply an issue with an old ass game and maybe a glitch on my part in the process of dling updates and such.
This is also BY NO MEANS a machine built for intense graphics and/or processing power. But then again, considering it's age, I don't believe 4.0 is so resource demanding as it may have once been considered.

#4348416 - 04/01/17 10:31 PM Re: What's Up??? [Re: Squeakity]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
This is my adivce:

Abandon all efforts at anything related to Falcon 4.0 Allied Force. The only real reason to keep playing Allied Force is if you really, really, REALLY like to manually manage the campaigns in AF. Otherwise, get yourself a copy of the old Falcon 4.0 and get Falcon BMS 4.33. Have a look at my install guide to help you get started.

No sense in "learning" in AF and then having to re-do a fair bit of "learning" again to transition to BMS 4.33.

Good luck!

- Ice
#4348425 - 04/01/17 10:59 PM Re: What's Up??? [Re: Squeakity]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I considered saying what Ice just did, but did not, so I am glad he did.

Look, there was no bigger supporter of Allied Force than me. I absolutely love managing F4 campaigns, and frankly AF campaigns are better, They just are. But I fly BMS. Why? It's the jet, man.

BMS has given us, for free I might add, the best jet in the history of Falcon 4. What I may lose in campaign features and functionality in AF, I more than make up for in weapons, flight model, Block variants, AI, graphics, terrain, avionics, clickable pits, Track IR support, integrated comms and on and on.

No sense in "learning" in AF and then having to re-do a fair bit of "learning" again to transition to BMS 4.33

You may not get any better advice than this in your F4 career. And on top of that, any questions you might have in BMS will be answered, instead of us saying something like "I think it worked like this or that in AF, sorry don't remember exactly", like in my first post lol.

Fly whichever version you like, it's all good, but at least as far as 'support' here at SimHQ it can only be BMS. And to be honest, it's a far superior version to AF, and that's coming from an AF disciple.

#4348430 - 04/01/17 11:17 PM Re: What's Up??? [Re: Squeakity]  
Squeakity Offline
Squeakity  Offline

Thank you both so much.
The reason I've steered clear of BMS or FF since being reunited with 4.0 is that in reacquainting myself with nav and weapons systems I've read countless posts and comments from V-pilots saying that 4.0 is the best place to "cut your teeth" so to speak and that moving on from there could present serious learning curve issues as the original 750 page manual was written specifically for 4.0.
I've already got the RAR files downloaded and am ready to make the upgrade but after reading all those comments felt a little intimidated.
I'll see what I can do with BMS and thanks again so much guys for the advice.
I'll let you know how it goes.

#4348460 - 04/02/17 01:24 AM Re: What's Up??? [Re: Squeakity]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Squeakity

I'll let you know how it goes.

Yes, I hope you will. It's great to have new guys around, kinda one myself in a sense. And since you are the first I can do this for.... check out Ice's install guide for BMS (damn Ice already sniped me on that one)

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...h-falcon-4-bms-4-33-update-3#Post4347779

#4348465 - 04/02/17 01:55 AM Re: What's Up??? [Re: Squeakity]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Already linked my guide in my post biggrin

Originally Posted by Squeakity
I've read countless posts and comments from V-pilots saying that 4.0 is the best place to "cut your teeth" so to speak and that moving on from there could present serious learning curve issues as the original 750 page manual was written specifically for 4.0.

Were they talking about BMS 4.33? The manuals have gotten SO MUCH BETTER compared to 4.32. So if those posts are a year old, then they were probably talking about 4.32.... I do have a feeling these posts you're talking about are much, much older though, as this "cut your teeth" and manual concerns could be made for starting with Allied Force as well, not just 4.0.

If I were to cite anything great about BMS vs. AF, it is this --- fully working, 6DoF cockpits. No more swapping between 2D cockpit to do switch work and 3D cockpit to maintain SA. Now, the cockpit just works. All the switches work. What was the keybinding for the MFD GAIN rocker again? Who cares? Just press the damn button! How about the keybinding for turning on the Radar Altimeter? Pfft! Just look at your console and click the switch!

- Ice
#4348597 - 04/02/17 06:10 PM Re: What's Up??? [Re: Squeakity]  
Domestos Offline
Domestos  Offline

Bingham UK
The latest manuals for BMS are bang up to date. I think the BMS package is now "self contained" and you'd be fine.

#4348664 - 04/03/17 01:01 AM Re: What's Up??? [Re: Squeakity]  
Squeakity Offline
Squeakity  Offline

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Just purchased Falcon Collection on Steam and am nearly ready to undertake the seemingly daunting task of installing BMS 4.33.
Thanks for the step by step Ice.
Hold my beer, I got this.

#4348717 - 04/03/17 11:41 AM Re: What's Up??? [Re: Squeakity]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
How did you get on with it? Did you get BMS installed OK?

#4348780 - 04/03/17 04:09 PM Re: What's Up??? [Re: Squeakity]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Yeah, if you got something to add to the guide, if you got confused somewhere, I'd like to hear! Don't hold back! biggrin

- Ice

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.