Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4346951 - 03/26/17 12:17 PM DCS Normandy map.  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Following this with interest.
It has the potential for a excellent WW2 Armour sim with realistic air elements large map etc.
From what wags is saying theirs no plans currently but the potential is there.
If ED do decide to add armour modules I hope they dont take the Combined arms approach as fun as CA is it lacks fidelity.
In all the key areas for armour sim enthusiasts some type of partnership with a established armour sim developer would seem to make sense a developer like Graviteam.
With a good track record in armour simulation development.
DCS will allow third partys to develop airframe modules so why not allow someone to create a high fidelity armour sim.
What's your thoughts would there be a market for such a module.

https://youtu.be/Dt-8ZTWrWdg

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4346990 - 03/26/17 04:24 PM Re: DCS Normandy map. [Re: marko1231123]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

You will have no problem selling Tiger modules for $60 but will they pay another $60 to have a Sherman to brew up? If you start with a CA type module and then add high fidelity modules for individual unit types, you would have a chance. T34 Vs Tiger used a high fidelity, concentrated unit types and the the complaint you always hear is lack of content. Granted, it takes time to generate high fidelity and the publisher went belly up.

The market is limited. Look at the number of copies European Air War sold compared to the number of copies Panzer Elite.

No NDA here and willing to work for beer: ;>D

Last edited by Brit44 'Aldo'; 03/26/17 04:26 PM.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4347032 - 03/26/17 07:14 PM Re: DCS Normandy map. [Re: marko1231123]  
Xambrium Offline
Xambrium  Offline

The ground Warfare in DCS is realy poor. You can already have it in the modern theatre.

#4347036 - 03/26/17 07:40 PM Re: DCS Normandy map. [Re: Xambrium]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted by Xambrium
The ground Warfare in DCS is realy poor. You can already have it in the modern theatre.

Yes I own DCS combined arms I use it to practice CAS operations.
As a sim its not high fidelity I use SB for dedicated land warfare missions.
I get the impression DCS realise They can not complete with SB on equal terms its taken many years development by Esim to get SB where it is in terms of its fidelity
But DCS had issues with the engine and terrain it was not well suited for a land warfare simulation.
But the Normandy map is better suited for the task as far as I can tell.
IMO with the right partner they could make a realistic representation of WW2 land warfare
But I do agree with Brit-44 Aldo a tiger module would probably sell very well but other less combat effective AFV's would not.
The only way round that would be to create packs of vehicles by nationality.

#4347089 - 03/27/17 02:01 AM Re: DCS Normandy map. [Re: marko1231123]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Il2 or Steel Fury are two that come to mind in feasibility in expanding the armour world and maybe combined arms..If not Battlefield1942 smile

#4347093 - 03/27/17 03:13 AM Re: DCS Normandy map. [Re: marko1231123]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Sorry to rain on your parade, but are you not just looking at the nicely-detailed Normandy map and just fantasizing about WWII Armor?

DCS is struggling as it is in the aircraft arena and they've been on that scene since forever. My eldest son is turning 13 this year and I remember playing LOMAC even before I met my wife. That really doesn't look very good for ED.

As far as the tank models go, sure, they look nice but I doubt it's been coded to the fine details needed for an armor simulation. Armor thickness, angle, shell characteristics, penetration and fragmentation calculations, internal machinery inside the tank, etc... I would not be surprised that if ED decide to explore this route, they'd have to re-do all their ground assets in order to make it compatible with a high-fidelity armor simulation. That's too much work for questionable returns.

With regard to 3rd-party support, again, just look at their performance in the aircraft arena and again, consider that they've been working on that since forever, and even then, 3rd-party support doesn't seem strong enough.... you can see that by patches having to be released to support new aircraft or new campaign DLCs. Now translate that into an arena that they have no experience in....

If you just want World of Tanks or War Thunder simulation levels, then why would ED even bother considering there are already those two games? If you want Steel Beasts simulation levels, again, why would ED even bother considering eSim is already in the picture? We can all dream of Steel Beasts sim level with DCS graphics, but unfortunately, if you think about it realistically, it'll be at least a 5-year wait before even a hint of an alpha build. They would at least have to get their current goals out of the way, namely DCS 2.5, which even if made public this year, would be in an "early beta" state.

DCS is full of potential, sure. We flight sim pilots have been saying that for years. However, ED seems to be incapable of taking advantage of this potential in a reasonable timeframe. They can have all the potential in the world, but if they can't make a good product out if it, the potential might as well not exist at all.

- Ice
#4347251 - 03/27/17 04:47 PM Re: DCS Normandy map. [Re: - Ice]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted by - Ice
Sorry to rain on your parade, but are you not just looking at the nicely-detailed Normandy map and just fantasizing about WWII Armor?

DCS is struggling as it is in the aircraft arena and they've been on that scene since forever. My eldest son is turning 13 this year and I remember playing LOMAC even before I met my wife. That really doesn't look very good for ED.

As far as the tank models go, sure, they look nice but I doubt it's been coded to the fine details needed for an armor simulation. Armor thickness, angle, shell characteristics, penetration and fragmentation calculations, internal machinery inside the tank, etc... I would not be surprised that if ED decide to explore this route, they'd have to re-do all their ground assets in order to make it compatible with a high-fidelity armor simulation. That's too much work for questionable returns.

With regard to 3rd-party support, again, just look at their performance in the aircraft arena and again, consider that they've been working on that since forever, and even then, 3rd-party support doesn't seem strong enough.... you can see that by patches having to be released to support new aircraft or new campaign DLCs. Now translate that into an arena that they have no experience in....

If you just want World of Tanks or War Thunder simulation levels, then why would ED even bother considering there are already those two games? If you want Steel Beasts simulation levels, again, why would ED even bother considering eSim is already in the picture? We can all dream of Steel Beasts sim level with DCS graphics, but unfortunately, if you think about it realistically, it'll be at least a 5-year wait before even a hint of an alpha build. They would at least have to get their current goals out of the way, namely DCS 2.5, which even if made public this year, would be in an "early beta" state.

DCS is full of potential, sure. We flight sim pilots have been saying that for years. However, ED seems to be incapable of taking advantage of this potential in a reasonable timeframe. They can have all the potential in the world, but if they can't make a good product out if it, the potential might as well not exist at all.

Agreed it mite well be a case of wishful thinking on my behalf
Also ED seem to have some issues keeping to schedules that's why I suggested they should use a third party with a track record in armour simulations.
Thus Reducing research costs and bring some expertise with them.
Esim do dominate the post WW2 war armour sim market but they have little or no interest in developing a dedicated WW2 armour sim.
Ssnake has not totally ruled it out but I gather its not high on there priority's.
Probably because the market is to small for such a heavy development workload.

#4347287 - 03/27/17 07:13 PM Re: DCS Normandy map. [Re: marko1231123]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by marko1231123
Agreed it mite well be a case of wishful thinking on my behalf
Also ED seem to have some issues keeping to schedules that's why I suggested they should use a third party with a track record in armour simulations.

Nothing wrong with wishful thinking biggrin

With ED's record, I doubt if any interested party is actually knocking down their door and like I said, the work done on Normandy, terrain-wise and unit-wise, may be so poorly fitting for a tank sim that any party interested in this niche may be better served by starting from scratch themselves.

- Ice
#4347398 - 03/28/17 06:16 AM Re: DCS Normandy map. [Re: marko1231123]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

I agree with Ice, unless this is a serious fishing trip.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4347401 - 03/28/17 08:22 AM Re: DCS Normandy map. [Re: marko1231123]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.