Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4334040 - 02/02/17 03:58 PM It finally happened - Lost my first ship  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Since I started playing Elite in June of 2015, I never lost a single ship. Came close a few times, but always made it out.

Last night my Fer-de-Lance was lost in a Conflict Zone (High), due to pilot error. I have never played much as a combat pilot, not engaging pirates (I even pay them) or such. And I do realize that getting involved with Conflict Zones is not the best way to get started with combat. But it makes sense within the game world (working to defend my local minor factions).

I had been in and out of Conflict Zones for the last week, maybe 12 or 15 visits and always made it out. Using all fixed weapons and working on my aim it was slow, but I managed to score 6 or 7 Combat Bonds. Scored one Bond last night before my loss.

My ship build:

FDL Build at ED Shipyard

What did I do wrong?
1. My factions were the underdogs, and I allowed myself to get drawn into a focus of enemy fire. This happens often in my CZ play, and I escape, but this time I let target fixation get the upper hand. Instead of breaking and gaining distance from the CZ furball, working from the edge, I drifted in.

2. F63 Condor swarms... My FDL turns on a dime, but even so I cannot land shots on those Condor (not with fixed guns, anyway). At least while I am turning with them, they can't hit me! But still a swarm of them is very busy.

3. Running straight away when making my escape. Probably the real fatal move.

I looked down, shields with only a slightly dimmed outer ring. Lase the shields off a Vulture, taking some fire but it's all good. Ready to go for Multi-Cannons. (I should have broken and gained some distance from the furball at this moment.) Suddenly shields are offline, and I punch the FSD to high wake out (my target system was already highlighted before I entered the battle). And I boosted in a straight line toward the jump system target. Hull was gone in 5 or 8 seconds.

And that big mistake of boosting straight away made me an easy target. I should probably have just kept turning while applying lateral thrust while the FSD charged. I'd have been 10X harder to hit, very possibly making it out.

Ah well.

I considered the Iron Man play impact. I used a D20 dice chart made by a guy called Mossfoot (on the offical FD forums), rolled a 14. Got a +1 overal modifier (due to circumstances at the time of my ejecting. So a survival with keeping the ship.

Good lessons learned!

Last edited by adlabs6; 02/02/17 04:00 PM.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4334175 - 02/03/17 12:52 AM Re: It finally happened - Lost my first ship [Re: adlabs6]  
bailout Offline
bailout  Offline

Devon
I have lost 2 ships in the past couple of weeks. The first time for months. First was when I 'discovered' a military installation. Flew closer with no reaction, alt-tabbed to check whether the materials floating about were of any use and when I alt-tabbed back in (playing without sound) my shields drives and power plant were all gone and a second later I went boom.

The 2nd was in my keelback dropping into a USS (threat level 0) to look for a mission item and being jumped by pirates. I have never been attacked in a 0 threat USS before, wasn't prepared and did everything wrong and payed the price.

#4334631 - 02/04/17 02:39 PM Re: It finally happened - Lost my first ship [Re: adlabs6]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
"Good lessons learned"

I feel your pain... finally saved up enough after weeks of cargo and passenger runs to afford my first Python. Went to a resource extraction point to try out some BCM to get a feel for the ship. <10 minutes later> I'm using the rebuy option... Kicking myself for not doing the research on it before taking it out. Turns out, it's not a Cobra or Vulture (which I sold to pay for it) and while it may be badass in some hands... I need to do a lot more setup research before mixing it up again. I like trading and exploring, but do visit the low resource extraction sites from time to time to pew pew a little and fly around the asteroid fields. After that spanking... I'm thinking of just getting my ASP back for hauling and a Vulture for fighting until I've got credits to spare to play around with this again. Flew back to Fedmich, humbled and scared with my tail between my legs and requested my Eagle to be transported there so I didn't have to fly that monster around without enough for a rebuy. It's not as fun to land either... it makes me appreciate the glass cockpit of the Asp even more.

Lessons, well learned. Don't be a dumbass and just because you can afford it doesn't mean that you CAN afford it. Had to laugh at myself because in RL, after seeing people do 10 pt turns or take 5 min to back their land yacht SUVs into a space, I murmur "don't buy it if you can't drive it". smile

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#4334650 - 02/04/17 03:35 PM Re: It finally happened - Lost my first ship [Re: K6_Scorpion]  
theox Offline
theox  Offline

Originally Posted By: K6_Scorpion
"Good lessons learned"

I feel your pain... finally saved up enough after weeks of cargo and passenger runs to afford my first Python. Went to a resource extraction point to try out some BCM to get a feel for the ship. <10 minutes later> I'm using the rebuy option... Kicking myself for not doing the research on it before taking it out. Turns out, it's not a Cobra or Vulture (which I sold to pay for it) and while it may be badass in some hands... I need to do a lot more setup research before mixing it up again. I like trading and exploring, but do visit the low resource extraction sites from time to time to pew pew a little and fly around the asteroid fields. After that spanking... I'm thinking of just getting my ASP back for hauling and a Vulture for fighting until I've got credits to spare to play around with this again. Flew back to Fedmich, humbled and scared with my tail between my legs and requested my Eagle to be transported there so I didn't have to fly that monster around without enough for a rebuy. It's not as fun to land either... it makes me appreciate the glass cockpit of the Asp even more.

Lessons, well learned. Don't be a dumbass and just because you can afford it doesn't mean that you CAN afford it. Had to laugh at myself because in RL, after seeing people do 10 pt turns or take 5 min to back their land yacht SUVs into a space, I murmur "don't buy it if you can't drive it". smile

Agreed. I like the Python ok, but I found more value in an ASP and an Imperial Clipper/FDL rather than just a Python. I just keep them at same station and swap back and forth when I feel like combat or trading.

#4334717 - 02/04/17 10:36 PM Re: It finally happened - Lost my first ship [Re: adlabs6]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
I can relate to the loss. I think I've lost 16 ships over the last year and half. I play bounty hunter almost exclusively and now at around 32% Deadly. Movement to Elite is slow once in Deadly status. Opponents are much tougher.

Last week I bought a Python and it's in process being modded. All A rated and I've gone to the Hi-Res a couple of times with success. No confidence in it as yet as to getting into a furball like I do with my FAS. My fleet is simple though; ASP Explorer; FAS and Python. Going to finish modding FSD on the Python and begin some delivery missions to build monies back. I wish the Python handled like the FAS though, as the FAS is a dream to fly

Good point having that High Wake selected before hostilities begin.

Wingy

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4334735 - 02/05/17 12:25 AM Re: It finally happened - Lost my first ship [Re: adlabs6]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Pfft!! Some guy here, who shall remain nameless, has lost probably 3 Type-9s by crashing it inside the space station. He was running shield-less at the time. He's also probably lost 3-4 Type-9s when the game was patched and the enemy AI got better... again, he was running shield-less. He put shields on his traders after that.

At least you guys lost your ships doing pew-pew. biggrin

- Ice
#4334751 - 02/05/17 02:48 AM Re: It finally happened - Lost my first ship [Re: adlabs6]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I've lost plenty of ships. But I've killed way more. smile

#4334786 - 02/05/17 12:27 PM Re: It finally happened - Lost my first ship [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Originally Posted By: Mr_Blastman
I've lost plenty of ships. But I've killed way more. smile

Excellent attitude!

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#4336970 - 02/13/17 07:09 PM Re: It finally happened - Lost my first ship [Re: adlabs6]  
Snap Offline
Veteran
Snap  Offline
Veteran

Just getting back into the game after a long time away.

My old cobra isn't what she used to be. The game is a lot harder now and I must have blown up 4 or 5 times yesterday.

Learning how to play all over again.
Can't just waltz into a res site and fighting. Have to pick and choose a lot more now.

#4339139 - 02/21/17 06:02 AM Re: It finally happened - Lost my first ship [Re: adlabs6]  
Kazius Offline
Kazius  Offline

Sounds like you had a good fight and tried to jump to another system so you didn't have to deal with mass lock and learned about spinning so just a learning mistake and don't worry about the loss and credits, you can get them back smile

Combat Zones are not a good place to go though. Stay to resource extraction sites unless you have a wing. Those combat zones even when doing well can change to the worse in seconds as I have found out the hard way. Basically all friendlies eventually die off and you get swarmed by red.

My Ship:
Kazius' Corvette

Like you I had only 1 other ship loss previous and it was cause I slammed an Asp Explorer into a 7g planet smile Took a couple days off then put my flight suite back on and made back my losses smile

I know how to make 100's millions fast if you have a few hours on weekends to run cargo from Maia. Just have to make sure Maia isn't in lockdown or having artifact interference. At the time I write this Maia is at war between empire and alliance groups and if people want to do combat zones and stack the kill missions I am game if it is still happening on the weekend.

P.S. Corvette I link is not my combat setup

Last edited by Kazius; 02/21/17 06:03 AM. Reason: P.S. remark

[Linked Image]
#4346116 - 03/22/17 05:56 PM Re: It finally happened - Lost my first ship [Re: adlabs6]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Good analysis Adlabs, I'll have to keep that tip about maneuvering while the FSD spins up during the retreat phase.

I've lost plenty of ships.

Just last night happened twice (at 1M insurance a pop) with my ASPX.

I was trying to take off from an outpost landing pad and somehow my ship kept getting stuck in the landing pad objects sideways after launching and I couldn't break free and eventually after the loitering warnings and threats, the base outpost turrets eventually blew me up to clear the pad.

This happened twice in a row, apparently caused by my normal practice of stowing the landing gear before taking off from the lauch pad, which always works fine but apparently not at that particular station/landingpad.

I also got blown up last night from hauling a full 20 mission stack and fighting too many AI pirates on the way to the destination.

So I make that insurance money count and I don't worry about dying all that much, just glad the rates don't go up due to being a frequent insurance user, especially since I play using XB1 controller so my dogfight skills are not the best.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4346852 - 03/25/17 06:09 PM Re: It finally happened - Lost my first ship [Re: adlabs6]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
So far I've not had another ship loss, despite taking the Fer de Lance into harm's way another half dozen times.

My preferred local faction did fall in a recent election, so my combat will likely be done until they someday attempt a comeback.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.