Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4342030 - 03/04/17 03:50 PM Time for a Challenge -- PLEASE!! *****  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Long Long ago Fullofit and I were down to the last mission and even on points. Some how I lucked out with a point or two at the end.

It was a 30 mission ( I think that is correct ) with all sorts of keeping track of what was positive and negetive points. I looked forward to each evening of warming up with QC flights and then the "real flight".
During the flight my wife would make comments like " your leaning a lot " and "your very close to the screen" along with "why is there blood on the screen" -- a true family affair with in our RV.
My lack of computer skills kept me from making film or pictures so all I could do was make a written report. It was "FUN"!!

Any way we can rerun one of the old challenges to keep the work load down on those who run it -- (the effort must be heavy).

For me living in a very small space ( 36 foot RV ) I am limited to what can be done with in my one computer and screen ( no room for real maps ).

Just my 2 cents

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4342047 - 03/04/17 06:14 PM Re: Time for a Challenge -- PLEASE!! [Re: CW3SF]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Sounds good to me. I missed a few of the Challenges so a do over might be fun.

#4343009 - 03/09/17 06:03 AM Re: Time for a Challenge -- PLEASE!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I unfortunately won't be able to swing that for a while. We have a new ground crew member here on the flight deck and she seems to think that her main job is to chew through all cables and control surface, so all flying aids have been off the floor for a few months (She got to the joystick, but only chewed through the cord casing) Couple that with the kids having more homework, the need to recertify this year, a new band to work on ( Here and here ) and a not particularly sympathetic Mrs. and I have really only been gaming for a bit on the weekends.

That whiny screed over, I can give you this link which links to all the other challenges I did if someone wants to re-run one. I would help with setting up the scoring doc (it's just a google doc that feeds a spreadsheet) and wish you luck (or, at least, no particular ill-will)... salute

Attached Files IMG_5880.jpg

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4343032 - 03/09/17 01:42 PM Re: Time for a Challenge -- PLEASE!! [Re: CW3SF]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
This is an idea for a challenge I put together a couple of years ago. If anybody wants to run it, enjoy! I included some rules, but these were a draft.

So everything is open to be set up however you guys want it to be, if anyone is interested. smile

The DH5 is an odd little duck and I thought it might make a fun challenge to fly:

[Linked Image]

Captain Geoffrey de Havilland designed the Airco DH.5 to combine the superior performance of a tractor biplane with the excellent forward visibility of a "pusher" type. The construction was that of a conventional tractor biplane of the time, but the main planes were given 27 inches of backward stagger so that the upper wing was positioned behind the cockpit for unprecedented forward visibility in a tractor biplane. Will the DH.5 turn out to be the best designed scout of the war? Only the pilots of RFC 24 can tell us! RFC High Command is interested in hearing of your exploits and your opinion of this new de Havilland design.

>>>>> Airco DH.5 Video! <<<<<

Pace: 1 mission per campaign day (up to 30 missions total), and you can make up missed missions at a later date to catch up (or use Time Advance to catch up without flying missed mission dates). But please don't fly more than 1 mission per day in real life (unless you are catching up) so that we all move forward in time together!

In a nutshell this is a "Dead is Dead" challenge where you can use any navigation and information aids but all other difficulties are standardized so we are all comparing the DH.5 on the same basis.

"Airco DH.5 Challenge" Manual Enlistment & Workshop Settings

Real Life Start Date: Month Day Year
Enlistment/First Mission Date: May 15, 1917

Real Life End Date: Month Day Year
Last Mission Date: June 15, 1917

Rank for Enlistment: 2nd Lieutenant

All navigation and information aids are allowed:
Labels of any kind, In-flight Map, TAC, Z key, F5, Hud

Air Activity: Low (to simulate more realistic air combat levels)

Campaign Mission Freq: Historical

AI Always Engages: Off

Campaign Date Advance: Manual/Auto

Historical Mission Types: On

Player Flight Position: By Rank

Player Flight Altitude: Historical

Easy Claims

Easy Promotion

Outcomes: Normal (Dead is Dead)

Main Guns: Less Acc

Rear Guns: Less Acc

Players Guns Only: Normal (no "Strong" or "Strongest" guns)

Gun Jams: Off

Grnd Gun Accuracy/RoF: Normal

Unlim Weapons: Off

Unlim Fuel: Off

Auto Mixture: On

Random Craft Failures: Off (we are not testing the DH.5 engine reliability)

Invincible: Off

Player Flight Model: Realistic

Feel free to use your own skin as long as it has normal British roundels and tail colors!

Films, Screenshots and After-Action Reports are encouraged!

Scoring (staying alive is of equal importance to victories)

1 point per mission flown

1 point per victory

Again, these were just ideas for rules. Not the rules...lol hahaha

If someone wants to run this, have fun!

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4343039 - 03/09/17 02:14 PM Re: Time for a Challenge -- PLEASE!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
That would be fun. I can't remember us doing a challenge with any of the unusual planes.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4343094 - 03/09/17 03:55 PM Re: Time for a Challenge -- PLEASE!! [Re: CW3SF]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Lets work the issue! First off some one needs to jump in and do it. There has to be more that the very few who have run these in the past. Some of thes folks like "Rick" have been worked like "rented mules" buy the rest of us.

My excuse for not doing one of these is my total lack of computer skills needed to pull it off.

"Who will be our hero" to do this??

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4343872 - 03/12/17 03:13 PM Re: Time for a Challenge -- PLEASE!! [Re: CW3SF]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
I am now going to be on a Mission---- to get this done. We have not had challenge for over 1/2 year.

Is it a "rule violation" to keep an issue onthe front page? After more than 350 folks looked it over --- I think not !

Would a $100 do the trick?

#4343919 - 03/12/17 07:58 PM Re: Time for a Challenge -- PLEASE!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
CW3SF, I don't think it's a matter of getting paid. It's a matter of having enough time to run it. I'm sure Rick wouldn't mind running the show if he had the time, but he doesn't and a lot of us don't have the time to invest either. I miss the challenges as well and if I had the time (read: retired) I wouldn't mind taking a stab at it just to be able to fly in them, but as it stands, after coming from work I'm spent and hosting a challenge would seem like a second job. I don't know how Rick managed to do it. Hats off to him just for that!
Out of curiosity, how many people reading this thread would be interested in flying in a challenge?

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4343929 - 03/12/17 08:35 PM Re: Time for a Challenge -- PLEASE!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I'm with you Fullofit, I just don't have the time, but CW3SF I could certainly use the $100. biggrin

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4343933 - 03/12/17 08:54 PM Re: Time for a Challenge -- PLEASE!! [Re: CW3SF]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
+1
No time to play wounded

#4343936 - 03/12/17 09:11 PM Re: Time for a Challenge -- PLEASE!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
I think a lot of us are in the same boat right now. That said, Richard, you might want to consider joining the Centenary DiD campaign at this link as an interim measure: Centenary DiD campaign link

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Moderated by  Polovski