Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 47 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 46 47
#4340369 - 02/26/17 02:05 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I know it's not July yet, so I have some 'splainin' to do...

I'm not sure what's going on with my Verio web hosting, they were bought out and it seems like a confused mess right now (also with billing). I can't log on to my server nor am I seeing my pics here, not sure if I'm losing them (pics and service) or not.

In any case, I have every pic I've posted here on SimHQ saved offline and well organized. If need be I'll replace the link to every pic on this thread, maybe some on the Music board as well (the other board I've frequented). This thread is very important to me so if my pics go down, I'll eventually fix it.

++++++++++

No real updates from me right now, just gaining arm and chest muscles (becoming visibly noticeable now smile ) and wife lost another inch off her waist. I hope to lose more waist too, but screw it if I don't, as long as I keep getting bigger and stronger in the areas I want to.

Bought more stuff for the home gym: Dumbbell bench, curl bar, ladies dumbbell set and an Everlast speed bag which I'm assembling right now. I'm hoping the motion helps with a nagging sore rotator cuff. My dad can't wait for me to get it mounted in the 'barn', he use to beat on these years ago.

++++++++++

Speaking of my father...

I walk by my office gym and hear him grunting (not loudly), peak inside and he's doing curls with my 30 lbs. dumbbells, one in each hand, alternating arms. Dude is 78 and still maintaining some arm strength, I'm inspired. Unlike him, I never worked labor intensive jobs like river barges and oil platforms and my idea of fun isn't using a jackhammer. I thought it was over-the-top growing up, he always had a weight bench (iron weights) and punching bags and stuff, even knows how to jump rope. I dunno, maybe a bit much but he still shames me as an old man, by comparison.

++++++++++

Wife is in Oklahoma, eating in some restaurant right now owned by the "Pioneer Woman" on Food Network (I think they show it on TV). This is a girl's trip to this ladies' ranch (with an old HS friend plus daughter and granddaughter). She comes home Tuesday night so I workout alone tonight, I'm not going to push it without my spotter. I'm going to post a little now, check out the new layout, but seriously moderate my time for now on.

I went almost two months without posting (my first post of 2017)! biggrin

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4340403 - 02/26/17 05:15 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Just read about attaching pics. Hmm... I wouldn't want to abuse the privilege but I'll try a couple (1024x768) right now to see what happens...

EDIT: Cool, it works!

Showing add-ons to home gym:

Dumbbell/crunch bench (gray bench, end of weight bench)
Curl bar, other side of treadmill (much more comfortable than barbell for curls)
Ladies dumbbells (colored ones)
Speedbag

We have to lift up the treadmill when we want to pull out the smaller dumbbell bench, it's getting crowded.

Attached Files Home_Gym_1.jpgHome_Gym_2.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 02/26/17 05:26 AM.

The sun is in the east
#4340452 - 02/26/17 04:05 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: MarkG]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Nice setup Mark. smile

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4340595 - 02/27/17 02:57 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thanks, Wheels. I keep putting off major upgrades, my little weight set/bench is about at max capacity (barbells, lat tower, leg lever all have weight limits) but so am I. I'd rather increase reps and sets as needed vs. adding more weight, although I'm a ways from even worrying about it.

Couple more things...

Ouch, Chucky! eek2 Hope you're doing better!

++++++++++

Stretching...

I still haven't tried a beginner's yoga class and I don't think I can get past my hang-ups about it. I'm being stupid, I know, but I don't need to be that flexible.

Wife now takes the lead with pre-workout stretching, something I've never done before (feels like a girly waste of time). I think it's making a big difference with how I feel during and especially after a workout. I can also tell when I'm going to bed that I sleep more comfortably, less tossing and turning from aches and pains.

Stretching good before a workout matters, it really does. I forgot to stretch last night and went straight to the bench (I'm missing my little workout buddy something awful). I didn't think about it until halfway through my routine so I just skipped it. Later, I couldn't lay on my right side for very long, couldn't get comfortable, although it didn't help that both dogs wanted to sleep next to me, sandwiching me in. Freggin' miserable, I think I'm going to sleep on the couch recliner tonight.

Once again, stretching beforehand matters, kinda hurts when you do it but you feel better the rest of the evening.

++++++++++

Pushing myself hard...

Can't do it anymore. Wife knows, for example, that when she's spotting me on the bench and I can't get the bar more than halfway up, she needs to pull up on it with just enough force to help me finish the rep, and maybe one or two more. I don't do this anymore, as soon as I need any assistance at all, I stop (vs. trying to finish a 3rd set of 10). My body can't take the abuse, it no longer feels good tearing myself down to the point of needing help to get the bar up, it just hurts now. Age is not just a number, you feel it.

I find that I'm having to work through more discomfort lately, nagging stuff that zaps some of the enjoyment out of it.

Last edited by MarkG; 02/27/17 03:05 AM.

The sun is in the east
#4340722 - 02/27/17 02:57 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Can't reply in detail because on mobile, but just very, very happy - 12% Body Fat and almost my perfect weight for an entire week (aiming for 5 points average a day and got 34 total)

This is going to be a great summer at the beach/pool. Poor girls biggrin

#4341526 - 03/02/17 04:43 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
That's awesome, RSColonel_131st ! thumbsup

The beach, eh?! I lived in Jax, FL for 12 years (1996 - 2009) and I doubt I've been to the beach more than a dozen times (although Jax Beach isn't nearly as nice as Daytona Beach).

This summer (August, when I turn 50) I can see myself fit and trim, standing at my grill (both charcoal and gas), flipping chicken and catfish (also hamburgers and hotdogs for the traditionalists). Shirtless, lite beer in my hand, Jimmy Buffett and 80's on the boombox, Mrs. enjoying the hammock in cute shorts/sleeveless.

Gotta visualize what you want and make it happen! biggrin

++++++++++

Practical results of physical fitness and slimming down...

Me: Riding mower needed work, loose transmission belt, started fine but wouldn't move. I fixed it once myself (spring tension broke) but it's time for seasonal servicing so I'm letting them fix it this time. I pushed it about 50 yards through my backyard to the driveway, then up my trailer ramp. I don't think I could have done this a year ago, feeling stronger than ever and I like it!

Wife: Walks in kitchen the evening before her trip, big smile, I know something's up. Didn't take long for me to notice the small dull rock on her finger. She hadn't worn her engagement ring in years (band slightly smaller than wedding ring), it didn't fit on her pudgier fingers. I cleaned it with the ultrasonic toothbrush and baking soda toothpaste, gave it a sparkle, made her even happier. smile

++++++++++

They're working on my site problem, still can't see pics.

EDIT: Pics temporarily fixed.

Last edited by MarkG; 03/03/17 05:55 AM.

The sun is in the east
#4342770 - 03/08/17 01:24 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
mailman Offline
Hotshot
mailman  Offline
Hotshot

London
Been training for the Cambridge Half Marathon (took place the Sunday just gone), had originally given myself 8 weeks to train as my objective was to PB but really didn't give myself any leeway for injuries (old age catching up) or vicious man flu (which effectively ended my training after 5 weeks)!

Still though, got myself a new PB of 2:02:31 which is over 4 minutes faster than my previous best BUT the thing I loved the most was the improvement over my last two half marathons. September I did the Disneyland Paris run in 2hrs 20 minutes last year but that was pretty much the first run over 10km I had managed to do in well over 8 months due to injury. Then in October I died on the Peterborough half and crawled in at 2hrs 34 minutes!

So this year I was determined to put injuries behind me, suck it up and just make it happen! For the first time I actually followed a training plan with increasing long runs, easy runs during the week and an effort session once a week. Really started to see some improvements in my times being made so was really pleased with training "properly" and how that all went.

All went well in January until I ran in to issues with dead feet which was related to doing too much too soon FFS! But ok, pulled back training a little so I had more recovery time and that helped fix the issues with dead feet. Then the 2nd week of February I got man flu (and we all know how serious that is!) so that was pretty much the end of training until March 5 when the Cambridge run was on.

The next objective is to go under 2 hours for a half this year!

[Linked Image]
Im on the right.

Regards

Mailman

Last edited by mailman; 03/08/17 01:24 PM.
#4342798 - 03/08/17 03:04 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: mailman]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Half marathon (Wikipedia): 21.0975 kilometres (13.1094 mi)

Oh, hell no! nope And you run these without tunes? tuner Triple hell no!

Good for you, Mailman. cheers Looks like you're still in good shape.

5k is enough for me and even then I brisk walk most of it (my fastest brisk walk matches my wife's slowest pace jog). The body is often willing but the feet are quick to protest. Weight makes a huge difference on my feet, no matter my fitness level. Of course we start in the back with the walkers (our 5k's are run/walk) and at the moment aren't wearing numbers/chips.

Love my shoes (were $100.00, that's allot for me to spend on shoes)...
Asics Gel-Cumulus 16 Blue/White/Black ( T439N-4201 )

Last year in Houston (no running but lots of walking)...

Attached Files Houston_01.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4342820 - 03/08/17 04:26 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
mailman Offline
Hotshot
mailman  Offline
Hotshot

London
Well, here is a before and after before I started running and looking after myself a couple years ago smile

Regards

Mailman

Attached Files Me changes.jpg
#4342830 - 03/08/17 05:00 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
WOW! notworthy

When you notice your Mrs. constantly placing her hands on your chest and feeling your arms, you know you're doing something right! biggrin

Looking good, Mailman.

The sun is in the east
#4343025 - 03/09/17 01:01 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: MarkG]  
mailman Offline
Hotshot
mailman  Offline
Hotshot

London
Originally Posted by MarkG
WOW! notworthy

When you notice your Mrs. constantly placing her hands on your chest and feeling your arms, you know you're doing something right! biggrin

Looking good, Mailman.

Its when other women start doing that mate! hahaha

But yeah, left picture is from 2015 where I was slowly, actually...quickly eating my way in to the grave. Right hand picture is from last year...still a work in progress but the thing that really changed for me was my mind set! You can do all the hard work etc BUT if you don't change how your mind works and thinks about things like food you are wasting your time.

Regards

Mailman

#4343028 - 03/09/17 01:27 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I'd agree with you on that totally Mailman. It took me quite a while to get my mind set on it last year when I dropped almost 5 stone. Now I'm working on reversing the weight I put on over the new year. It's damn hard,living alone,too easy to pig out on crap all the time,no-one to keep fit for (I'm single and staying that way). Not easy.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4343065 - 03/09/17 03:13 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
I can relate Chucky, I ate a lot of junk the past three days, but today back to order...

Seems there's a direct relation between stuff bothering me mentally and my appetite vor McDonalds.

Still, had the discussion with a colleague my age today... married for two years now, baby girl, relationship for ten years... he's putting on weight. Of course it's easier if - like me - you're actively dating around and thus the motivation is automatically there. But heaven help him if he becomes Single at 40 or 45.

#4343393 - 03/10/17 02:24 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: mailman]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by mailman
Originally Posted by MarkG
WOW! notworthy

Looking good, Mailman.

Its when other women start doing that mate! hahaha

I hear ya. The only thing that makes living with the nagging ol' ball and chain tolerable is knowing that come Friday evening, I'm taking my girlfriend out (this chick I dated in high school). She kinda looks like my wife, even has the same Cajun accent, but is a much snazzier dresser and allot more fun to be around. If our schedules allow, we sometimes spend the entire weekend together. But then by Monday morning it's always back to the same ol' same ol'. This arrangement is working well for the three of us and they both seem to like my body transformation. smile

The sun is in the east
#4343416 - 03/10/17 03:09 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st
I can relate Chucky, I ate a lot of junk the past three days, but today back to order...

Seems there's a direct relation between stuff bothering me mentally and my appetite vor McDonalds.

Still, had the discussion with a colleague my age today... married for two years now, baby girl, relationship for ten years... he's putting on weight. Of course it's easier if - like me - you're actively dating around and thus the motivation is automatically there. But heaven help him if he becomes Single at 40 or 45.

It's easy to settle too much, to become too comfortable (I've got pics on this thread that show that). It's figuring out how to work together to fix it or even keep it from happening in the first place (and at some point health problems are going to force the issue).

I deleted my previous post, wasn't well thought out. Point was, with diet and fitness, a long-term couple has to figure out where they're compatible and where they're not.

When I cook and make plates, I have to make a consciences effort to cut it 55/45 to 60/40 as my wife is only a little more than half my body weight. But when it comes to desserts (more her thing than mine) she can eat more because she burns it off easier. The pics I saw of what they splurged on in Oklahoma would have set me back a couple of weeks, while she's maintaining ~106 to ~108 lbs. (~49 kg). We're coming around full circle now, it's what got me in so much trouble in the first place, matching her eating habits when she was trying to gain weight for our wedding (pre-internet, knows now that junk food wasn't the proper way). If I were an ectomorphic Barney Fife it would be no problem, I could relax a little. Now she's in maintenance mode (weight/size-wise) while I'm struggling to lose (stomach) and keep my weight under obesity, even as she pushes me physically.

I was already obese at 21 (bigger pic) and 23 (smaller pic), second pic late-20's (w/mother-in-law)...

Attached Files DSCF3054.JPGDSCF4302.JPG

The sun is in the east
#4345104 - 03/17/17 07:20 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Loving the time change, treadmill collecting dust now (unless it's raining). I'd much rather be outdoors in the evenings on a track enjoying my tunes.

Tried getting into my 'new' old-school 36"W 501's I bought back in Dec. for going out tonight. Nope, no give/stretch at all, not very forgiving and *I'm* not wearing tight jeans. eek Oh well, maybe next Friday for the Molly Ringwalds (next week will be the first major yard work of the season which always slims me down a little).

The sun is in the east
#4348106 - 03/31/17 03:28 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Are we going to have a good April?

I have a *huge* month coming up, starting tomorrow morning (April 1) with a 5k at LSU (for epilepsy) [just found out, date moved to 4/22, bah!]. I'm now covering 5k (3.1 miles) on my treadmill at a hair under 40 min. which would be a terrible time for a seasoned runner, especially on a treadmill, but good for me. I hope I can do the same on actual pavement tomorrow, my feet are feeling fine (after limping all day on Sat.) I told my wife not to ease off when I start falling behind, I like the competition (even a little friendly trash talking would be motivational). smile

The week of April 16, oh my! eek2 Wife is taking the week off and the first part of the week she's scheduled many appointments for us: physicals, dentist, dermatologist, eyes (says I'm also due for a hearing test), everything but a colonoscopy (not until Sept.). I forgive her because the rest of the week she's made plans for four events of very pleasant walking...

1. Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum (4/20): The place is *huge*, I never could cover it in a day (including outside displays) because I didn't have the stamina, my feet hurt and my legs rubbed together and chafed.

2. Pensacola Beach (4/21): Just a nice and very long walk on the beach, see how much ground (sand) we can cover.

3. Air show (including Blue Angels) in New Orleans (4/22 or 4/23): Everyone who goes to airshows knows they usually include lots of walking, just from your car to the spectator areas, and lots more as you walk along the runway and check out all the exhibits. This will be the first time I see an F-35 in person (static display).

4. The National WWII Museum (formally known as the "D-Day Museum"): It's been so long that I don't remember how much walking is involved in the museum itself, they've added on since I've been so I imagine quite a bit. We'll probably park at the river (regular French Quarter parking) and walk to the museum, also walk the Quarter so it'll be at least 3 or 4 miles in total, likely more.

My 50th BD is now exactly 5 months away (8/31), plenty of time to finish what I started but feeling the pressure as I get closer to receiving my AARP package (assuming they send these to everyone turning 50).

EDIT: Also, part 2 of our walking tour of downtown Baton Rouge on the 14th, the Friday which starts her April vacation.

2nd EDIT: We were also going to include the USS Alabama (driving through Mobile) but chose the WWII Museum instead. It's possible we might do both if there's time (that would be freggin; awesome!).

Hope everyone else has a productive April.

Last edited by MarkG; 04/01/17 04:38 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4351917 - 04/18/17 05:42 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Nothing got snipped at the dermatologist this morning, yea! Off to the dentist in a moment (routine), physicals tomorrow.

A little project my father and I will be working on soon (see pic)...

They're almost done moving their stuff, recently brought over most of his very old iron weight set, except for a few bigger plates. They've been neglected but he could never part with them, some of these (the plain solid ones) were hand made by his brother (the one I've posted about the plane incident in Vietnam).

We're going to pick up a sand blaster from Harbor Freight to clean them up and then paint them with his compressor sprayer, probably a pretty red like they use to be. It's very cool to me, to have such a classic weight set.

I'm now maxing my bench and barbell (i.e. 130 lbs. bench press, 2 sets of 10) and also using my biggest 30 lbs. dumbbells for dumbbell flys (butterfly curls). I'll add a third set before increasing weights, by then I should have my upgraded iron weights ready to use.

Attached Files Weights.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 04/18/17 05:47 PM. Reason: pic fixed

The sun is in the east
#4351928 - 04/18/17 06:00 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
What actually happened to your "internet ban" wink ?

Cool story about that old iron. Let us see how it turns out. Might be tricky to get the paint permanent and not chip off?

I need to get back into my routine. Too much other stuff going on that drained my willpower... thankfully weight still holds.

#4351999 - 04/18/17 11:46 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
What actually happened to your "internet ban" wink ?

Yeah, that was suppose to last for 6 months, but only lasted 2. duh

I was *suppose* to just come back to explain why all my pics had disappeared (that I hadn't croaked), but I ended up staying (while replacing many pics with the new Attachment feature). Then I had to keep going online for event schedules and to get tickets, while wife realizes now how much she used Facebook to schedule stuff with family and a couple of good friends.

Sooo...we try to really limit our time online now. I'm doing much better spending less time here than I use to, wife is doing even better than I am. She does Facebook (or Instagram or whatever) for no more than an hour a day (usually after our evening walk/run and/or workout). I know I can do better still, like with counting calories, it's finding that illusive balance. It helps that I'm spending allot more time outside now.

Cool story about that old iron. Let us see how it turns out. Might be tricky to get the paint permanent and not chip off?

I asked about that, dad said it stays on pretty well if you keep the weights indoors. He has a single red homemade one-piece 15 lbs. (6.8 kg) dumbbell in his bedroom that still looks great, and he's had it for as long as I can remember (when I was a little kid). Clanking around on a barbell might be a different story, though.

I need to get back into my routine. Too much other stuff going on that drained my willpower... thankfully weight still holds.

I'm doing fantastic with my regular routine (about to head to the track after posting) but my weight and waist are barely improving. VERY frustrating considering my daily diet and routine, but that's life at 49.5 years, I guess. At least for the moment I'm feeling really good, aches and pains are minimal during and after working out.

Years ago I feared that my teeth would fall out or that my heart would explode in my chest. Now, as a 50 year-old man, it's the potential side effects of the blood pressure medication I'm taking. I gotta get off this crap before age catches up with me (never the "little blue pill" for me if I can help it - the beginning of the end). I'm hoping at tomorrow's physical that my dosage is at least reduced, but I *have* to finish losing the weight, I think, if I'm to get off of them completely. Pressure was good at the dentist today (routine cleaning).

++++++++++

Pensacola (Naval Aviation Museum) in a couple of days, not happening now. frown Instead of being there on the 20th, I'll be taking my wife back to the dentist to have some filling work done (discovered today during our cleanings). No use risking it (advised that we didn't wait on this) so we'll try Pensacola again in June.

Still have the Blue Angels this weekend in New Orleans, though! dance Our dentist, Dr. Fallin (we talk aircraft more than teeth) and some of his staff will also be there. Looks like rain on Saturday (90% thunderstorms) so we're planning on Sunday (unless the forecast changes). Again, I plan on doing lots of walking on that day (and no bad eating), but going to have to put the WWII Museum off as well, now. Damn. frown

The sun is in the east
Page 20 of 47 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 46 47

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.