#4342566 - 03/07/17 03:19 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by W-Molders
the dollar sucks... taxes suck too (unless you have a HIGH income for tax shelters or again bringing loads of cash) ...

Taxes can vary greatly depending on where you live. For example, your tax burden if you live in NYC or San Francisco is astronomical by comparison to anywhere in the Midwest or in the South. And the Dollar is actually quite strong up against a set of major currencies including the Euro.

Don't forget how high taxes are in Illinois, particularly in Chicago. I mean, we have to ante up to pay for all those corrupt politicians' kickbacks and salaries.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4342573 - 03/07/17 03:38 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by bones

Don't forget how high taxes are in Illinois, particularly in Chicago. I mean, we have to ante up to pay for all those corrupt politicians' kickbacks and salaries.

v6,
boNes
Yeah Chicago is ridiculous. Just like NYC, it's a great city to visit but I would never live there. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4342582 - 03/07/17 04:17 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Jedi Master]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by Jedi Master
Originally Posted by W-Molders
why would you want to move here? its not the 50's anymore... every decade gets harder and harder here....

If this was actually true, there wouldn't be a problem with illegal immigration, would there?

In short, it's still better than a vast majority of the world here, so people still want to get in no matter how they can.

When we see more people leaving the country than coming in, legal or otherwise, THEN you have your proof that it is bad here.

The Jedi Master

Absolutely!

For example things were bad here in Portugal for the past 5 years and as a result there was almost a "massive immigration" from here.
However, things are now starting to improve a bit (they could improve even more and faster but they are improving nonetheless) and as a direct result the immigration from Portugal basically stopped.
There are even signs of some immigration pattern changes (from other countries to Portugal instead from Portugal to other countries).

So yes, the case of the US having more people/immigration to the country instead of leaving it is clearly a sign that things aren't that bad in the USA.
Basically, nowadays and unfortunately every place on the planet is "bad" but things are much worse in most places of the planet while being less bad in the minority of places in the planet.

This means that nowadays a place that is "more or less" or a "little bit bad" is actually "good".

#4342584 - 03/07/17 04:41 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I am very glad it is not the 1950's.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4342589 - 03/07/17 05:03 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Dart]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted by Dart

Me too! My old man was a barber and he made me wear a flat top haircut from about 1953 until I graduated high school in 63.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4342590 - 03/07/17 05:10 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: ricnunes]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by ricnunes

Absolutely!

For example things were bad here in Portugal for the past 5 years and as a result there was almost a "massive immigration" from here.

I'll take a wild guess and say that not too many of those Portuguese emigrated to Spain. wink

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4342597 - 03/07/17 05:38 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Forward Observer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

Originally Posted by Forward Observer

Me too! My old man was a barber and he made me wear a flat top haircut from about 1953 until I graduated high school in 63.

Whaaa??? I liked my flat top, other than the inconvenience of finding and paying for a good barber.

I think all decades/generations have things about it that are better and worse than the others. I have a weird conservative streak that longs for times like the 50's (what little I know of it, born in '67). Probably too much "Leave It to Beaver" and "Andy Griffith" (the later airing 1960-68, but we know Mayberry was a decade behind the times).

Interesting thread and something I never gave much thought to, immigrating to the US.

Last edited by MarkG; 03/07/17 06:10 PM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4342618 - 03/07/17 06:32 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
harryw Offline
harryw  Offline

NV
FlyBoy, it's been a while (mid nineties) since I've gone through the process so I am sure things have changed a bit (although probably not drastically.)
I had the entitlement to apply - mind you, apply, not the right to get one - for a green card due to my mother being a US citizen.
If you have nothing to connect you with the US at all then you'll have to enter a lottery. There's 50,000 slots each year, not sure how they get allocated country by country.

When I applied they wanted, besides the obvious birth certificate, proof of citizenship etc, an affidavit of support (a proof that you can support yourself, a job offer doesn't qualify, it has to be a guarantee for employment or by some person to be responsible for your expenses), a clean criminal record and clean bill of health (you have to get checked out by an embassy-recognized doctor. In the mid nineties being HIV positive or carrying tuberculosis would immediately disqualify you.) You will also get interviewed at your nearest consulate or embassy. That's all I remember; there might have been some other minor things.

It was quite the process. Compared to the green card getting citizenship was easy.

#4342626 - 03/07/17 06:53 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal

Absolutely!

I'll take a wild guess and say that not too many of those Portuguese emigrated to Spain. wink

Correct. Actually the recent "mass emigration" was apparently even worse in Spain compared to Portugal.

Also if you look at the main (and almost sole) reason for emigration from both Portugal and Spain which was unemployment and by looking at statistics you can see that the unemployment rate/percentage is much higher in Spain compared to Portugal.

Also, I'm not trying imply that Portugal is "better" than Spain - For example wages are considerably better in Spain compared to Portugal, however unemployment unfortunately is not.

#4342628 - 03/07/17 07:05 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: ricnunes]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
For example wages are considerably better in Spain compared to Portugal, however unemployment unfortunately is not.

It's been a while since I've checked but the last time I checked the unemployment rate in Spain was just under 20%. Yikes.

#4342629 - 03/07/17 07:05 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Heh, hospitals in South Florida are hiring nurses all the time and a lot of those nurses are from the Philippines and other countries.

The Philippines biggest export must be nurses. They make up a large amount of nurses in the US. Maybe it was already answered in the thread, but why Iowa? I've never been there, but it is fairly sparse with not a whole lot of career options as far as I know.

#4342635 - 03/07/17 07:15 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
For example wages are considerably better in Spain compared to Portugal, however unemployment unfortunately is not.

It's been a while since I've checked but the last time I checked the unemployment rate in Spain was just under 20%. Yikes.

Yeap. As of January of this year (2017) the unemployment rate in Spain was 18.4% while in Portugal is was 10.2%.

It is in Portuguese but nevertheless here it goes (the source):
http://www.jn.pt/economia/interior/desemprego-cai-para-96-na-zona-euro-em-dezembro-5638567.html

Also, high unemployment rates in Spain have been "historically" (or usually) high so unfortunately it's not a recent "phenomenon".

#4342668 - 03/07/17 09:19 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Right, just because you feel like your country went from an A to a B- in your opinion doesn't mean that someone who thinks their country is a D or F doesn't want to move there.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4342732 - 03/08/17 06:14 AM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
W-Molders Offline
W-Molders  Offline

I.E. Commiefornia ..S.B Count...
i stand by my statements

[Signature deleted]
#4342783 - 03/08/17 02:09 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
The billionaire who is now just a millionaire gets little sympathy from the peasants. smile

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4343326 - 03/10/17 04:21 AM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Nodak01 Offline
Nodak01  Offline

coyote country
Realistically the only guaranteed shot is to bite the bullet and get married. If you do it right, you should have your green card in a year, get that and you can do basically anything except vote.

They will run you through a ringer and extort a little here and a little there, all in some assed attempt to prevent fraud, why it takes a year to do ten minutes of paper work. Stay married for five more and than you can apply for citizenship. They can't deny any citizen, your girlfriend, the right to choose a mate, but they sure can make it mighty miserable. She will have to initiate and do the process. Stick to their written script and you will succeed.

I'm assuming you actually want to marry the lady, and she you, otherwise don't bother.

#4343333 - 03/10/17 05:46 AM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Just saying...

We have a huge number of US citizens immigrate to Australia. A recent Premier of New South Wales was a US borne, and spoke with an unmissable US accent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristina_Keneally

I met her last year in a Sydney department store, lovely lady, very friendly, just a housewife doing her shopping.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4343354 - 03/10/17 11:24 AM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Mad Max]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by Mad Max
Just saying...

We have a huge number of US citizens immigrate to Australia. A recent Premier of New South Wales was a US borne, and spoke with an unmissable US accent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristina_Keneally

I met her last year in a Sydney department store, lovely lady, very friendly, just a housewife doing her shopping.

That case in particular is different from most immigration cases since that person (Kristina Keneally) has an Australian born mother which should grant to Mrs. Kristina Keneally instant Australian citizenship.
I admit that I'm unaware of the Australian citizenship laws however I know this is the case in Canada.
For example I was born in Canada and therefore I have Canadian citizenship and as such I was able to apply the Canadian citizenship to my daughter (which was born in Portugal) - By the way, this was a very straightforward process where I only had to fill out a simple "page and half" form, present/show a personal Canadian ID document and the mother's Portuguese ID document plus my daughter's birth certificate (translated to one of Canada's official languages - English or French) and all of this done at the Consular services of the Canadian Embassy in Lisbon (since I live in Portugal).

And I assume that the Australian citizenship laws shouldn't be that much different from Canada's, are they?

#4343362 - 03/10/17 11:44 AM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Mad Max]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mad Max
Just saying...

We have a huge number of US citizens immigrate to Australia. .

Ah, so it's just not Nicole Kidman and Mel Gibson? Good to know. biggrin

#4343430 - 03/10/17 03:44 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I admit I've not heard of many US citizens living in other countries who became part of their gov't.

The Jedi Master

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.