Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4342372 - 03/06/17 04:48 PM Moving to the U.S.  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Hi guys. It must have been years since I posted anything in the Community Hall area of this forum, and I only occasionally visit here at all now. Life keeps on moving. I hope you guys are all well.

I come asking for advice and help. Do any of you here know about U.S. immigration law? I don't want to get too far into any of this until I know that I can get some meaningful guidance. Just as an outline, I'm a UK resident and am looking to move to the U.S. - to Iowa - in fact. I've got people out there who have said they can help me out getting somewhere to stay and a job, and will be joined at some point by my girlfriend who is a U.S. citizen - but she does not live in Iowa. We plan to live there together in the future. Right now I only have a passport, and don't know where to start with which Visa to apply for, etc. I have scanned over a number of websites but thought if I could get tailored help just for me and my situation, that would save me a lot of time and legwork.

You guys were always a good source of information and I humbly come to you for help. I'll elaborate further and answer any questions if we get into this, but I don't get online much nowadays so please bear with me.

Thank you in advance for any participation you can give.

Regards,
Gary 'Flyboy' Wright

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4342376 - 03/06/17 04:57 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I admit I do not, but I wish you luck in our ever-more confusing system!

If memory serves, you will face a chicken-and-the-egg situation, where getting a job is dependent on getting a visa and getting a visa can be dependent on getting a job. smile

Only thing I know for sure--if you are planning on working, it MUST be a work visa. If you are on a trip, it must NOT be a work visa. They are very strict about that distinction. No jobs for people on holiday, no breezing the day away for the work ones.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4342380 - 03/06/17 05:01 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Wow. Going from the U.K. to Iowa! Talk about incoming culture shock. biggrin

As long as you don't have a criminal record and you can get an employer to sponsor you, you should be good to go Flyboy. I wish you the best of luck. You can get info here: uscis.gov

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/06/17 05:03 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4342386 - 03/06/17 05:24 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I've got people out there who have said they can help me out getting somewhere to stay and a job, and will be joined at some point by my girlfriend who is a U.S. citizen - but she does not live in Iowa.

I hope these people are blood relatives and not just "random people"... Also, why Iowa? And do you have a special skill or field that is ALMOST GUARANTEED to land you a job? For example, even though I have the education and experience of being a nurse, it doesn't mean I can get a nursing job in the US very easily even if I had registration in any State --- hospitals may not be hiring, period. I have a few cousins over there in the same field and the unanimous concern is that they NEED nurses, but the hospitals are not hiring.

Personally, I would not jump until you know you can make it across the chasm.

- Ice
#4342389 - 03/06/17 05:26 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Heh, hospitals in South Florida are hiring nurses all the time and a lot of those nurses are from the Philippines and other countries.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4342391 - 03/06/17 05:46 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
I have 'involvement' with the police, but when I asked them they said that I shouldn't need to get a Visa, at the time when I suggested that I was just going to 'travel' to the U.S. - therefore making me eligible for the Visa Waiver Program. That might be different though if I'm thinking of working or living there?

Not really a culture shock, I've had some level of involvement with Iowa for 15 or so years now. I spent almost a whole year doing music promotion when I left a job and lived off my savings. I have ties and interests with friends, family, and fans of various current- and ex-Slipknot members (my favorite band and who got me interested in Iowa). I was ready to go twice before, but life got in the way. This will be the third time I'm seriously thinking of going, and this time it's for a girl as well. I have no specialties as such, but have been told that I have a place in the music industry there.

I'm friends with many band members in underground rock and metal bands, and they're the ones rooting for me to move there. They will also hopefully do what they were going to before, and raise money to help me out by way of holding a fundraiser show for me with bands of my choosing to play. In the meantime both me and my girlfriend are saving hard. Originally she was going to come here, but she really has no concrete interests or ties to the UK. Plus, being younger, and with not even a passport, her family are concerned about her taking such a big leap and I am clearly more 'travel ready'.

#4342394 - 03/06/17 05:50 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I would go to the US Embasy and talk to them. They will have the best understanding of the types of Visas and the requirements.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4342401 - 03/06/17 06:37 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Dachs Offline
Dachs  Offline

Denmark
I read up on it some, a year or so ago, and came to the conclusion that it would be pretty close to impossible to get a greencard, unless I got a job with a US company beforehand or got married to a US girl.
But yes, as OG said, go to the embassy and have a talk with them if possible. It's some pretty dry stuff to read through!

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
#4342406 - 03/06/17 07:12 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I have 'involvement' with the police, but when I asked them they said that I shouldn't need to get a Visa, at the time when I suggested that I was just going to 'travel' to the U.S. - therefore making me eligible for the Visa Waiver Program. That might be different though if I'm thinking of working or living there?

Not really a culture shock, I've had some level of involvement with Iowa for 15 or so years now. I spent almost a whole year doing music promotion when I left a job and lived off my savings. I have ties and interests with friends, family, and fans of various current- and ex-Slipknot members (my favorite band and who got me interested in Iowa). I was ready to go twice before, but life got in the way. This will be the third time I'm seriously thinking of going, and this time it's for a girl as well. I have no specialties as such, but have been told that I have a place in the music industry there.

I'm friends with many band members in underground rock and metal bands, and they're the ones rooting for me to move there. They will also hopefully do what they were going to before, and raise money to help me out by way of holding a fundraiser show for me with bands of my choosing to play. In the meantime both me and my girlfriend are saving hard. Originally she was going to come here, but she really has no concrete interests or ties to the UK. Plus, being younger, and with not even a passport, her family are concerned about her taking such a big leap and I am clearly more 'travel ready'.

Best to ask the embassy as to what type of visa you'd need... as for your ties, well, good to know you've been before and that you have some connections there. I'd still advise you to get stuff in writing when possible, if nothing but for your own protection.

As for your original question, here's a counter --- why immigrate at all? Can you not just go on a long-term work visa or something?

- Ice
#4342419 - 03/06/17 07:55 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Heh, hospitals in South Florida are hiring nurses all the time and a lot of those nurses are from the Philippines and other countries.

Yep. Over 1000 R.N. jobs on Monster.com.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4342435 - 03/06/17 08:42 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Working on a visitation visa or losing your job on a work visa are grounds for deportation as far as I'm aware. When THAT happens, you get an ugly mark in your record which makes it all the harder for a return trip.

As you have no particular deadline to meet, take it slow and be thorough. This is gov't bureaucracy you'll be dealing with, if ever there was the creation of an Immovable Object...

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4342454 - 03/06/17 11:07 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

When I worked in the US, the company took care of the immigration process, I just had to show up at the embassy to pick up my green card. Granted, I never planned to stay indefinite, but can the company you're going to work for do the same?

In any case, I would e-mail my questions to the US Embassy instead of a computer game forum.
1) They have experts
2) Even if some information isn't accurate, you'll have a legal document of a US government in your hand.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Vaderini; 03/06/17 11:12 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished typing...
#4342482 - 03/07/17 02:46 AM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

...and on the plus side if you ever need extra income just build a baseball field in your front yard. They will come.....

#4342483 - 03/07/17 02:46 AM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
W-Molders Offline
W-Molders  Offline

I.E. Commiefornia ..S.B Count...
why would you want to move here? its not the 50's anymore... every decade gets harder and harder here.... (unless you are financially independent) the dollar sucks... taxes suck too (unless you have a HIGH income for tax shelters or again bringing loads of cash) ... all my friends in college that were from other countries went back.. sucks here.

[Signature deleted]
#4342490 - 03/07/17 03:21 AM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: - Ice]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Companies hiring from out of the country incur the cost of the H1 and the attorney fees on top of that, so that large of an investment isn't taken lightly. I know people who work at a Central FL hospital and they're always hiring nurses, but if you're coming from out of the country, it's not a easy.

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#4342524 - 03/07/17 11:53 AM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: W-Molders]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by W-Molders
the dollar sucks... taxes suck too (unless you have a HIGH income for tax shelters or again bringing loads of cash) ...

Taxes can vary greatly depending on where you live. For example, your tax burden if you live in NYC or San Francisco is astronomical by comparison to anywhere in the Midwest or in the South. And the Dollar is actually quite strong up against a set of major currencies including the Euro.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/07/17 11:55 AM.

#4342555 - 03/07/17 02:32 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: W-Molders]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted by W-Molders
why would you want to move here? its not the 50's anymore... every decade gets harder and harder here....

If this was actually true, there wouldn't be a problem with illegal immigration, would there?

In short, it's still better than a vast majority of the world here, so people still want to get in no matter how they can.

When we see more people leaving the country than coming in, legal or otherwise, THEN you have your proof that it is bad here.

The Jedi Master

#4342557 - 03/07/17 02:35 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Jedi Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Jedi Master

When we see more people leaving the country than coming in, legal or otherwise, THEN you have your proof that it is bad here.

The Jedi Master
Yup. All you have to do is look at countries like Cuba, Venezuela and many Eastern European countries.

#4342560 - 03/07/17 02:41 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Most of South America. Almost all of Africa. A good portion of Asia. A notable fraction of Europe. And of course many places in North and Central America.
The only reason we see less immigration from the farther places is because of the cost and difficulty to go so far. This biases things in favor of the close places.

The Jedi Master

#4342563 - 03/07/17 02:47 PM Re: Moving to the U.S. [Re: Flyboy]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Actually, almost all Latin American and African countries have increasing populations due to them having high birth rates. Cuba and Venezuela are exceptions right now due to the political systems there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.