Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4341942 - 03/03/17 11:29 PM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chef Offline
Chef  Offline

North Carolina
Actually doing some family research can help you with health problems you may be predisposed to get. I have death certificates from relatives born back in 1833 and died right when death certificates became mandatory in my state. On both sides of my family most died from heart disease. Not one died from cancer. Both of my grandfathers died in their 40's from heart disease and my brother died last year at 50. So some aspects of family research can give you an idea of health issues you would want to keep an eye on.

It was also interesting to find out units my ancestors served during the Revolutionary War, Civil War, Spanish American War, WWI, WWII. One of my great uncle's crew members wrote an unpublished book about his experiences as a gunner on B-26s. He did not care for my uncle, who was the pilot, but the pictures he included in the book I had never seen before.

The road less traveled is filled with fewer needy people.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4341947 - 03/03/17 11:51 PM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
German. German. German. And a little bit of German for me.

My wife is supposedly half Irish and half mutt but I've looked at her tree and as near as I can tell her mother is 50% French/Cajun and 50% English while her father is 50% Irish and 50% mutt so that means at most my wife is 25% Irish.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4342276 - 03/06/17 03:32 AM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Europe - 100%

Ireland - 36%
Europe West - 27%
Scandinavia - 25%
Iberian Peninsula - 9%
Trace Regions (Italy/Greece, Great Britain, Europe East) 3%

Euro Mutt. smile

Traced my heritage to the 17th and 18th centuries on both my mom and dad's sides of the family...been American for about 10 generations.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4342286 - 03/06/17 05:45 AM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
I know I am English and about 1/4 Welsh but somewhere down the line I got some Viking genes because I have a hand disease only Scandinavian people get. Hope it wasn't via rape but there is a good chance it was.

#4342329 - 03/06/17 03:25 PM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: rezerekted]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by rezerekted
I know I am English and about 1/4 Welsh but somewhere down the line I got some Viking genes because I have a hand disease only Scandinavian people get. Hope it wasn't via rape but there is a good chance it was.

Ah Ha!

Are you related to my wife? she has a small problem with her hand that is of Scandinavian origin as well, and her father has it too.

Also one of my customer in the bar had the same problem, that was when I first heard of the problem and it's origin back in the early 1980s - that customer was in his 80s and anyone less "Viking" looking I could not imagine.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4342331 - 03/06/17 03:30 PM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm curious now. What exactly is this hand disease? What does it affect?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4342334 - 03/06/17 03:41 PM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I'm curious now. What exactly is this hand disease? What does it affect?

All you want to know about Dupuytren's contracture

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4342367 - 03/06/17 04:40 PM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I wonder if it was research like this that turned Linda Rondstadt into a Mexican overnight.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4342369 - 03/06/17 04:43 PM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: Jedi Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Jedi Master
I wonder if it was research like this that turned Linda Rondstadt into a Mexican overnight.

The Jedi Master

Well, she IS from Arizona. Close enough. biggrin

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/06/17 04:44 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4342399 - 03/06/17 06:27 PM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

I am a Celt.
What percentage i have no idea but i have red hair and blue eyes and a burning desire to pillage and kill only politicians though. LoL

#4342400 - 03/06/17 06:31 PM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: marko1231123]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by marko1231123
I am a Celt.
What percentage i have no idea but i have red hair and blue eyes and a burning desire to pillage and kill only politicians though. LoL

Would you be a Pict, an Ebdani or maybe a Caledonian? wink

#4342494 - 03/07/17 04:52 AM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
W-Molders Offline
W-Molders  Offline

I.E. Commiefornia ..S.B Count...
whats a legit site for doing DNA to see where you are from? I mean a REAL test

[Signature deleted]
#4342503 - 03/07/17 06:54 AM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: W-Molders]  
TychosElk Offline
TychosElk  Offline

Originally Posted by W-Molders
whats a legit site for doing DNA to see where you are from? I mean a REAL test

I suspect that there aren't any, because DNA tests can't do that. They can give a rough estimation in general geographic terms for the most probable locations for significant branches of your ancestry, but are unlikely to tell you much more. There are no genes for 'being German', any more than there are for 'watching cricket' or 'driving a Škoda Fabia'. Human history is one of populations constantly moving around and interbreeding, and trying to match the consequences of such genetic mixing to modern political constructs like nation states is rather pointless. DNA tests can be entertaining, and occasionally even informative as for example when revealing to some clueless bigot that a significant proportion of his ancestry appears to derive from some group he despises (which happens with quite regular frequency), but they are of limited use otherwise if you want to know 'where you are really from'. Because you are 'from' a long and intertwining line of ancestors all ultimately derived from Hominids living in the African Rift Valley, and where and when your many ancestors have lived since has really only had limited impact on who you are now, biologically speaking. If you want to learn more about your ancestors as individuals, old-fashioned genealogical research is more likely to provide useful details. I for example would never have learned through examining my DNA that one of my ancestors was an Irish Teetotalism campaigner, and DNA tests are never going to resolve the puzzle of exactly where some ancestors of mine on my mothers side originated from, though their family name suggests a French-speaking origin. If they were Huguenots, as my mother likes to claim, it isn't going to show up in DNA (there are certainly no genes for Protestantism), so we are going to have to find out the hard way.

#4342505 - 03/07/17 07:48 AM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
One of these days I want to do one of these DNA tests.

But I will l be a mutt American before the test and after too. But I am curious just how much of Scotland got in there. That is the sort of last name I wear. But does it match the genes? And does it matter? Not really. I sure don't have a blue flag with an X on it hanging from the wall. Kilts are stupid. And just general WTF. I would not be surprised if I ended up mostly eastern European even though I would have no idea how that could have happened. America!

#4342528 - 03/07/17 12:21 PM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Kilts aren't stupid if worn properly - no need to drop the pants for a nature call and if a pretty young lass comes along.... smile

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4342558 - 03/07/17 02:36 PM Re: Ancestry.com and other similar sites [Re: FlashBurn]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted by FlashBurn
One of these days I want to do one of these DNA tests.

But I will l be a mutt American before the test and after too. But I am curious just how much of Scotland got in there. That is the sort of last name I wear. But does it match the genes? And does it matter? Not really. I sure don't have a blue flag with an X on it hanging from the wall. Kilts are stupid. And just general WTF. I would not be surprised if I ended up mostly eastern European even though I would have no idea how that could have happened. America!

Pretty easily. All you need is for your great-great-grandfather to have been Scottish. As long as he had a son, who had a son, who had a son, who had a son who was your father, you have that name but very little genetically from that area. All it takes is an unbroken patriarchal line. I've met people who are clearly Asian with names like "Frank O'Connell" because of that.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.