Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4333732 - 02/01/17 04:09 PM Main forum needs an obituary thread  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
I guess I am not the only one to notice it, but the community hall forum has become a literal graveyard, it's just plastered with obits of celebrities and musicians and basically people not really connected to SimHQ at all, nor are they important to the sim community.

I understand that people like their favorite celebs or musicians but it's excessive these days. RIP threads should be dedicated to people who are somehow connected to SimHQ / relatives / simulation / combat related people.

there should be a dedicated thread for obituaries for people that don't fall into the above categories.

Just my opinion

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4333735 - 02/01/17 04:17 PM Re: Main forum needs an obituary thread [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
The CH doesn't seem much different to me when it comes to obit threads. Most major celebrities have one if you start searching prior years for threads about them passing. The main difference is that there have been so many people of note pass in a short span of time recently. Considering our age group at SimHQ I expect we will see a dropping off of such threads in the near future because the celebrities of our youth will all have passed on.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4340379 - 02/26/17 02:27 AM Re: Main forum needs an obituary thread [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
My advice...

I assume most SimHQ'ers feel about discussing music the way I feel about discussing guns, simply not interested (although I have a couple of guns).

So...add a TV/Movie board next to the Music board and orbits of celebrities and musicians can be posted there. I'm personally not interested in TV nor Movies but I'd notice an orbit when I scroll the index of boards, and I'll read the ones I'm interested in.

The backlash from the 2016 orbits (and we know it started mostly with George Michael) made me uncomfortable, I'm not going to participate on eggshells here. The break has been nice (today is my first posting of the year), and after the complaints by Linebacker, including the Music board (a bit late IMO if he was referring to me), I'm happy to continue transitioning my focus more offline.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4340406 - 02/26/17 08:12 AM Re: Main forum needs an obituary thread [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Please.

If I posted about every industrial accident death, I'd be banned, but celebrities... well, everyone cares rolleyes

Dedicated thread means people can post if they want to say something, and give back CH to the living.

#4340431 - 02/26/17 01:32 PM Re: Main forum needs an obituary thread [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
As it is, just keeping musician's orbits confined to the mostly ignored Music board would likely make most people happy, yes?

The sun is in the east
#4340450 - 02/26/17 04:01 PM Re: Main forum needs an obituary thread [Re: MarkG]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by MarkG
As it is, just keeping musician's orbits confined to the mostly ignored Music board would likely make most people happy, yes?

Actually no.
A single thread will give NO ONE the respect they deserve, which once again is relative to the members personal opinion of the deceased, and continually breaking subjects into new forums only reduces participation in the Community Hall forum even more. If the Books forum and Music forums were still part of CH and not their own separate forums their threads would have helped move the obituary threads down the queue last year if they were not of interest to most of the members. By continually creating new forums we keep breaking down into ever smaller isolated groups that are interacting with one another less and less. Imo more new forums are not the answer but a few less might be...

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4340577 - 02/27/17 01:36 AM Re: Main forum needs an obituary thread [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
That makes sense, Wheels.

The sun is in the east
#4340582 - 02/27/17 01:59 AM Re: Main forum needs an obituary thread [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Wheels makes a great point. I really don't understand the drama with this issue about the obit threads. If you don't like them then don't read them. No one is forcing you to.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4340589 - 02/27/17 02:21 AM Re: Main forum needs an obituary thread [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Child forums are inconvenient and ignored in general, barring specific interest.
I find it hard to believe anyone reads EVERYthread in CH. PM aside that is wink
Consider those threads among those you ignore. I don't click on the obit threads for people I don't know and I move on.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4340599 - 02/27/17 03:29 AM Re: Main forum needs an obituary thread [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I agree with you guys.

Like I said, I'm not interested in guns (or mowers, although I love my zero-turn Gravely) but sometimes I'll click a thread in CH simply titled, 'My New Toy' or something like that. If it's a gun thread I might check out a cool pic and then move on, not like there's a whole lotta threads I have to cipher through to find something I'm interested in.

I admit I've abused the Music board at times with personal blog-like threads, I'm getting away from that (other than Diet & Fitness in CH, a lifetime battle it seems).

The sun is in the east
#4340612 - 02/27/17 05:41 AM Re: Main forum needs an obituary thread [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Obit threads are a cancer, and the fact that they're being tolerated is the death rattle of SimHQ.

#4340677 - 02/27/17 11:00 AM Re: Main forum needs an obituary thread [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
If someone of general significance dies, I don't mind being
informed of it, as I don't monitor lots of news feeds where I
might otherwise hear about them. And I really can't understand
how I would ever manage to put my mind into a place
where reading the title of an obit notice post would ever offend
me. I am actively offended by people taking advantage of CH
to slide in nasty smallminded political venom asides, but I
have no problem with someone noting the passing of someone
they admire, even if they meant nothing at all to me. There are a
lot of admirable old folks out there, and the generational guard
is changing, we're at the age where those we looked up to in our
youth are meeting their ends, that's how life is.

People could always use an increased contemplation of their
mortality anyway. It inspires the pursuit of insight.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.