Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4339819 - 02/23/17 07:54 PM Trying vaping once more, questions?  
Li'lJugs Offline
Hotshot
Li'lJugs  Offline
Hotshot

St. Cloud MN USA
Got to stop smoking, but an addictive personality and nicotine don't have a good prognosis. So, back to trying ecigs.

I have a bunch of questions, but frankly overwhelmed with my searches on the good ' ol internets. Way too much information for me to comprehend.

First I used the 1 use cigarette lookalikes but they really didn't satisfy, so I went ahead and went to a dedicated vape store, and purchased a "mod", specifically an
iStick PICO , a well reviewed device. The negatives of this mod, for me , anyway, is that it has way too many variables for me to understand how to get to a real replacement, taste and feel like, for a real cigarette. Voltage. Watts. Resistance. Temperature control. Air flow. And then, of course, all the different liquids with all the variables that they have! **Brain explodes*******! All I want is a vape that tastes like a cigarette, draws like a cigarette, and delivers the same level of nicotine that I get out of an ordinary Pall Mall Red 100. Not terribly concerned about the gigantic vapor clouds, although that is a cool effect, biggrin

So, my questions:

What do the different settings do? Raising the voltage? Adjusting the air flow? Resistance of the coil? Can't seem to find simple information on this in any of the ecig forums, Youtube, wherever.

Hi, I'm Larry and this my brother Dayrle, and this is my other brother Dayrle.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4339832 - 02/23/17 08:56 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
My guess is you may need to go into one of those stores and ask them directly, unless anyone here has first hand knowledge.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4339848 - 02/23/17 09:59 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Li'l;

I have been cigarette/nicotine free for almost EIGHT months now. I smoked for FIFTY years. The damn things killed my dad, helped kill my mom and tried to kill ME!

I just quit making excuses, and instead of having a cigarette I laughed at myself for even thinking about it. Yeah I used the patches, they helped a bunch. It really only takes a week or so, but go full circle on the patches.

Quit being a wuss and do it.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4339852 - 02/23/17 10:38 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Keep it simple, but not so simple as those crappy Blu's, 808's and the like. You want something between that and a mod box, IMO. You also need better juice than that prefilled store bought stuff that looks like cig filters.

This is a newer version of what my wife and I use and will likely switch to as our heads are getting hard to come by:
http://www.evcigarettes.com/kanger-top-evod-starter-kit/

Every so often you'll replace that atomizer head, the thing that's basically a heating element that does the work. Once or twice a month most likely, maybe more if you have an adjustable battery and are getting used to it. That's what you replace the most:
http://www.evcigarettes.com/kanger-vocc-t-atomizer-coil-heads-5pcs/

In stores, you'll probably pay $5 per head. Better to order.

Fill the tank with something good. Experiment. We gave up on tobacco flavors, you simply won't find anything the same. Just try other things, there's a lot out there. We stick to coffee flavors for the most part and things like that.
Start with a 12mg juice if you smoke a good bit, then on your next order, cut back to 6mg. The idea is to transition and use less nicotine, at least eventually.

This one is a coffee flavor I've stuck with for a while, I'd recommend it. Kind of a cinnamon flavored coffee.
http://www.jvapes.com/cinilla-coffee-cinnamon-coffee-e-liquid

Another good one, an excellent coffee flavor and smell:
http://www.evcigarettes.com/cafe-du-vape-e-liquid/

The thing is, don't vape to replace the taste and smell of smoking. Do it to get rid of the crap that's in cigarettes and to be able to keep the "hand to mouth habit" that's so hard to give up. 12mg, then 6mg, then see how you feel lower than that. A lot of people go down to 0, but that's not easy.
On top of all of that, there are VG/PG ratios. One gives you the throaty burn, the other is taste and vapor volume. Stick to 50/50 to start, then experiment 70/30, 30/70. Buy small bottles at first. You can waste a lot of money experimenting to find what you like.

Month to month, you're buying juice and atomizer heads. Clean everything from time to time and maintain clean electrical contact. You'll notice it getting less effective after a while, which means cleaning time.
After 6-9 months, you may need a new battery. Before that, you'll likely want a second tank and a backup battery to switch out while charging. You'll find a variety, some hold a huge charge but are bulky, some small and convenient. Some adjustable. For those, remember that the more nicotine, the more easily you'll get a burn taste to it, which means turn the power down. Buy 1.8 ohm, kind of middle of the road.

It's FAR cheaper to order online than go into the shops. Most will have your order to you in 3 days regular mail, so it isn't a long wait.

HTH

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4339856 - 02/23/17 11:08 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
I started smoking at age 14 and gave up Cold Turkey when I was 42. Never smoked since. It's the only way to go.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4339858 - 02/23/17 11:14 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Started at 16 and quit at 30. Cold turkey was the only way. Father started at 14 and quit at 40. He went cold turkey to. Was bear to be around for about a year. But still
loved him anyways.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4339859 - 02/23/17 11:22 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
People have reasons for what they do and how they want to go about doing them. Cold turkey does not work for most that want to quit. It certainly didn't for me.
Putting someone down for it doesn't do them any good and just discourages the whole thing. It's also possible that person doesn't want to quit and you're just annoying them.
Personally, I quit smoking many years ago by my own means, which was certainly NOT cold turkey. My wife couldn't.
These things came out and she tried one and liked it well enough, other than the trouble compared to just buying cigs. She tried the Blu set up, which sucks, but it was physically familiar, which is good. Beyond that, to get an effective set up, she was overwhelmed with the whole thing and dropped it.
There's a gadget factor to it, so it appealed to me, so I told her if she would commit to the switch that I'd do it with her and keep it figured out. She agreed and since then, 2 years or so now, hasn't had a cigarette. It's not perfect, it's a compromise, but it's fine. We're healthy, she's happy and not smoking, so I'm happy.
I really don't give a crap about nicotine, its the other stuff in cigs that is the main problem. I got my wife off of it, that's all that matters to me. And yes, we enjoy these things. We talk about it like various beers, wine etc.
Of course, this is Community Hall, so threads getting hijacked is normal.
"Quit being a wuss and do it."

On this topic, however, try not belittling someone. You aren't doing anyone any good. If all you can do is recommend the least effective method of quitting, you aren't offering a whole lot. You really think that someone that wants to quit hasn't already tried that? Cold turkey rarely works and when it does, it's usually accompanied by another event that people don't mention. It's rarely straight up will power the first time you want to quit.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4339883 - 02/24/17 01:26 AM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
[/quote]
On this topic, however, try not belittling someone. You aren't doing anyone any good. If all you can do is recommend the least effective method of quitting, you aren't offering a whole lot. You really think that someone that wants to quit hasn't already tried that? Cold turkey rarely works and when it does, it's usually accompanied by another event that people don't mention. It's rarely straight up will power the first time you want to quit.[/quote]

No intent to belittle anyone that I can see. The OP expressed a desire to cease smoking and received a few comments from other people who had succeeded, including myself. The "wuss" comment seemed to be humour as far as I could see. If the OP is annoyed by my advice he is welcome to express that himself without a third party taking up his defence.

Last edited by Mad Max; 02/24/17 01:27 AM. Reason: can't get the bloody quote function to work.

#4339904 - 02/24/17 03:15 AM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
That's just me, that's not going to change.

#4339913 - 02/24/17 03:51 AM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Hardtale Offline
Hardtale  Offline

Sorry I don't know much about the question but I know all about the struggle. With a bad liver I missed my alcohol vice so smoking ended up being my go to. Which sucks.

Not that trusting of the juice, and someone who enjoys a flavor, I'm thinking of going with pipe tobacco and a Firefly 2 .

Pricey but thinking it might be worth it in long run?

#4339929 - 02/24/17 05:27 AM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
I cannot really give advice on what works well for a person trying to go with vaping. I had to bungle around to find what worked for me the hard way.

But I DO what to say that going with vape and using it sanely is massively less bad than smoking or crewing tobacco. Nicotine and tobacco are not the same thing. And smoking tobacco is so epic bad because you in-hail burning junk that is often processed with lord knows what. Not that going with natural tobacco is better. Its still bad. Inhaling burning crap is bad for people. From a simple campfire to a barbecue, to a burning building. Its just degrees of bad. Vaping removes this bit of bad. And nicotine by itself is not really much worse than caffeine. Just WAY more addictive.

So if someone can switch from smoking to vaping don't give them crap for not just quiting. Its a massive improvement. Even the worst produced e-liquid is better than smoking and data suggest by a least 90 percent. Some much higher. But it also depends what the hell the person using it is doing.

I could go on and on, but I will leave it at vaping got me to stop smoking. I have control over how much I ingest and in what dose. And have reduced the amount of nicotine to 3x less than your average e-liquid off the shelf. Meaning most of what I vape is actually sugar and vegetable glycerin at the lowest watt possible (this means lowest heat I can get away with as the hotter the vape the more bad compounds can be potentially mixed from the flavoring). And I might add none of these are carcinogenic on their own, but to much heat CAN make compounds that are. Even then its one or two VS like 26 or something. Meaning vaping and nicotine worse aspect is that it raises blood pressure and all the bad things that does. And no one is sure if nicotine even is a carcinogen (the science goes both ways right now). It may well not be, but it DOES accelerate cancer cell growth, that is known. So Tobacco does NOT equal nicotine as folks want to think. Eggplants have nicotine too. But at a much lower level than tobacco BTW.

So good luck getting off smoking to vaping. Its hard at first but you know you succeeded the first time you mess up and try and smoke a real cigarette. Your back to gagging like the first time you lit up. Damned near threw up.

#4339948 - 02/24/17 09:19 AM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
I smoke on and off, never had trouble quitting cold turkey.

Vaping is probably a decent way to stop, just be careful about cheap Chinese made vapers that explode - check the net for info about that

I'd say if you smoke a pack a day, cut down your number of smoked cigs each day by one. Once you get halfway through the pack, switch to a light nicotine cig or menthol or some other type. Keep halving the number of strong cigs until you're just on the light menthol ones. Repeat the process. The light menthol cigs are so low in nicotine that by the end you probably won't need to smoke them anymore.

Another option is to try smoking the absolute worst quality of cigs you can find, or unfiltered ones. They taste so awful you'll feel bad every time you finish one. They'll help you quit in a hurry.

#4339975 - 02/24/17 01:16 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Yes, the "Don't be a wuss" comment was an attempt at humor, sorry if some took it wrong.

Good Luck Li'lJ.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4339986 - 02/24/17 01:59 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Nixer]  
Li'lJugs Offline
Hotshot
Li'lJugs  Offline
Hotshot

St. Cloud MN USA
Originally Posted by Nixer
Yes, the "Don't be a wuss" comment was an attempt at humor, sorry if some took it wrong.

Good Luck Li'lJ.

Yeah Nixer, I never thought for a second that comment was in any way negative.

#4339992 - 02/24/17 02:24 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Nixer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted by Nixer

Good Luck Li'lJ.

I apologize for coming across as hostile. Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I've ever done, so I can fly off the handle sometimes if I think that effort is belittled. That's not what was going on here, so I was in the wrong.

#4340183 - 02/24/17 11:51 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
NP smile

#4340237 - 02/25/17 06:22 AM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Cold turkey did not work for me either and I knew the patches would probably fail too because several of my friend just ended up using the patch AND smoking the same number of cigarettes.
It took me several months to quit. What worked for me but someone has to be almost OCD about it was charting my cigarette usage on a calendar. First I kept track of how many cigarettes I was smoking daily and charted that number for about a week. I already had a general idea and the charting just confirmed it. I didn't chart them as I smoked them but I made sure not to open another pack without making a note that I was on my second pack that day. After I had that number locked down my goal was just to avoid smoking one cigarette the next day and the next for about a week and then I went for two less a day. It was not a one cigarette a week decline because I was smoking about a pack a day and it took me at least eleven months to get down to four cigarettes per day. After about a month of smoking just those four cigarettes per day I gave myself the "cold turkey" ultimatum and quit when I finished the pack I had with me. I didn't keep just one "in case" or hide a pack somewhere.
That lasted from February until October when I had to put down my dog. After that event I bought a pack and smoked four or five and got as green as the first time I ever smoked a cigarette. At that point I had finally decided smoking wasn't for me and I haven't had one since then. Oct 15, 1999.

Hope you can kick the habit LJ, I do know how difficult it can be.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4340886 - 02/27/17 09:19 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
devere Offline
devere  Offline

@Li'lJugs - to try and answer your actual question.

Short answer is basically you will never reproduce the cigarette hit with vaping, you need to see it as it's own thing.

Resistance wise - the lower the resistance of the atomiser, the hotter the the ejuice is burned which will give you more throat hit. A higher resistance will produce a cooler vape hit. Volatage is the same increase the voltage to produce more vapour and heat (increasing the throat hit) lower it for a cooler vape. Obviusly the higher the voltage the faster the battery drain, and also burns coils faster.

Air flow controls how hard a draw you get on the device - basically how easy or hard you like to suck on it and it will also change the amount of vape produced. Adjust to taste has no effects on the atomiser.

Ejuice - there are a range of cigarette flavours, some better than others - the only thing to do is experiment. to find what taste you like. Strenght wise if you smoke a pack a day you need high (usually 1.8 mg) juice. Two packs look for extra high (usually 2.4 - 3.6 mg).

As I said its its own experience - vaping is more of a 'we't experience than smoking, you basically need to get into the habit of vaping, usually takes a couple of days, then you will no longer miss the old skool smokes. Stick with it.

#4340910 - 02/27/17 11:05 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Li'lJugs Offline
Hotshot
Li'lJugs  Offline
Hotshot

St. Cloud MN USA
devere, thank you for that simple explanation. Last couple of days, I have been researching and fiddling around with all the various options and am getting to realize that there are many roads to the same destination.

#4341023 - 02/28/17 01:24 PM Re: Trying vaping once more, questions? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I don't smoke, mainly because my parents smoked and died of cancer. But the last place I worked everybody vaped. There it was more of a hobby for them. Tinkering, modding, more like radio control car collecting, but with smoking devices. The only 2nd hand smoke (yes there is 2nd hand smoke, don't believe the #%&*$# that say their isn't, it gets into my clothes, hair, etc) that I liked was the blackberry and the vanilla flavors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.