Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4339078 - 02/21/17 12:20 AM Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please.  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Like the thread title says, we're thinking of getting married in NY in September. Those of you who live there, what's the weather usually like that time of year?

Got a few more questions for later as well.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4339079 - 02/21/17 12:23 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Congrats semmern! What made you choose NYC?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4339093 - 02/21/17 01:18 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Congrats!

We were in NYC last September. The weather was really pleasant but they were expecting a hurricane when we were there so it would go from sunny to omg, run for cover, haha.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4339095 - 02/21/17 01:21 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Congrats semmern! What made you choose NYC?

The GF has been there, and it's her favourite city. I would like to visit, and my airline flies there, so we get good rates on tickets and hotels. Getting married in Central Park looks fantastic!

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4339098 - 02/21/17 01:42 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
So, semmern will no longer get the "last word", eh?-)

Congrats bud!

#4339099 - 02/21/17 01:43 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Don't do it!! Don't do it!! Hahahaha!!

Just kidding! Congratulations, semmern!
"A man in love is incomplete until he has married. Then he's finished."
biggrin biggrin biggrin

- Ice
#4339103 - 02/21/17 02:00 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
W-Molders Offline
W-Molders  Offline

I.E. Commiefornia ..S.B Count...
seriously.. dont get married.. its a 60% chance to lose... and YOU will lose.. not her.. and, women are the boss nowadays.. youll see...

[Signature deleted]
#4339105 - 02/21/17 02:01 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: piper]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: piper
So, semmern will no longer get the "last word", eh?-)

rofl

Congratulations, semmern!

The city wouldn't be my first choice, but I can see where it might make more sense for y'all (logistics of family & friends, your convenience, etc.). It should be pleasant in September.

#4339108 - 02/21/17 02:05 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted By: semmern
Like the thread title says, we're thinking of getting married in NY in September. Those of you who live there, what's the weather usually like that time of year?

Got a few more questions for later as well.

Why in God's name would you want to get married in NYC? I went to undergrad in New York and I work there now. But I live far away in Pennsylvania. I hate New York. I hated it when I was in college. I work there only because that's where the money is. I have no other use for the place.

You live in a land of beautiful, breathtaking fjords and you want to get married in New York? The urban jungle? Why, man? Why? It's stupid expensive and overrated.

Dude, think Iceland. Get married in Iceland, if you insist on leaving Norway for the ceremony. Or pick one of the Hawaiian Islands (but not Honolulu). It's crowded. And the city has 1.2 rats for every resident, although some boroughs have more rats than others. The Bronx is terrible with the rats. Manhattan has 'em too, bro. Big motherf'ers.

But if you insist on being stubborn about it, at least make sure you get hold of the list of hotels known to have bedbug infestations. Seriously. There is a list.

Last edited by Plainsman; 02/21/17 02:11 AM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4339109 - 02/21/17 02:06 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Wait till your in your 30`s. Was 33 and the wife 30 when were Married. Still together and its
forever. Son is 20 and still at home and just lost his job. He better get a new one FAST.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4339118 - 02/21/17 03:01 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

20 isn't that old Jim, he probably just needs a little motivation to figure out where he wants to be in 5 years. Just go to a bar, chill out together and ask him those questions. He'll respect you more that way.

And if that doesn't work -> give him a one-way ticket to the Marine Corps wink

Edit: Oh, and Semmern, congratulations and many good years!

Last edited by Vaderini; 02/21/17 03:03 AM.
#4339119 - 02/21/17 03:08 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
I personally would not do it but if you want something really scenic and NY then i would recommend the lighthouse

http://piersixty.com/the-lighthouse/

I don't know what yoir budget is or how many guests you were planning. May have quite a wait time as well.

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#4339122 - 02/21/17 03:31 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I'm thinking on the Intrepid would be a good place for a SimHQer who's also a pilot. biggrin

As for weather, daytime highs could be anywhere from 25-35C in September. September is historically past peak thunderstorm season in the northeast. It's dead in the middle of hurricane season, though.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4339134 - 02/21/17 05:16 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: Plainsman]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: Plainsman

Why in God's name would you want to get married in NYC? I went to undergrad in New York and I work there now. But I live far away in Pennsylvania. I hate New York. I hated it when I was in college. I work there only because that's where the money is. I have no other use for the place.

You live in a land of beautiful, breathtaking fjords and you want to get married in New York? The urban jungle? Why, man? Why? It's stupid expensive and overrated.

This

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4339155 - 02/21/17 07:42 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Oh, I dunno, NYC can be a fun little romp for a few days.

First, pick a hotel near Grand Central Terminal...yes, it's costly, but there's a good reason for this - it's walking distance to all the cool stuff you want to see anyway (Times Square, Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, and even Central Park), and that area is pretty well patrolled by police.

As with any large city, mind where you are and keep aware of your surroundings. Central Park after dark, for example, was off our list.

Second, pick two or three things you really want to do in NYC, and do those things. For our five day getway to NYC, we wanted to see Times Square at night, dinosaurs, and Monets. We got to do all of those well, rather than rushing about and speeding through a lot of stuff. We also did a couple of things lower in priority, too, but didn't feel rushed.

Third, the best food in NYC comes from a cart being pushed by a guy. Seriously.

NYC can be expensive, but not prohibitively so if you're mindful. And it's a pretty friendly city - if you're lost, ask for directions from just about anyone that looks local. If you want reflexively rude, cross over to Newark.

Also, since you're not used to the USA, remember to tip around 15% at meals, unless it's one of those pay-at-the-counter places.

And yes, if you don't buy a super fake Rolex for twenty bucks from a guy in Times Square you're doing it wrong.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4339161 - 02/21/17 07:59 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: JimK]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Congratulations semmern and all the best to you and your future wife cheers

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4339174 - 02/21/17 10:10 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: JimK]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: JimK
Wait till your in your 30`s. Was 33 and the wife 30 when were Married. Still together and its
forever. Son is 20 and still at home and just lost his job. He better get a new one FAST.

I'll be 32 in September wink

So.. not many answers to my original question, then! biggrin I guess there is a good chance the weather will be OK.

There will be eight or so of us. Small ceremony with only parents and closest friends. We'd rather do that than the big hundred-people thing.

Originally Posted By: Dart
Oh, I dunno, NYC can be a fun little romp for a few days.

First, pick a hotel near Grand Central Terminal...yes, it's costly, but there's a good reason for this - it's walking distance to all the cool stuff you want to see anyway (Times Square, Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, and even Central Park), and that area is pretty well patrolled by police.

As with any large city, mind where you are and keep aware of your surroundings. Central Park after dark, for example, was off our list.

Second, pick two or three things you really want to do in NYC, and do those things. For our five day getway to NYC, we wanted to see Times Square at night, dinosaurs, and Monets. We got to do all of those well, rather than rushing about and speeding through a lot of stuff. We also did a couple of things lower in priority, too, but didn't feel rushed.

Third, the best food in NYC comes from a cart being pushed by a guy. Seriously.

NYC can be expensive, but not prohibitively so if you're mindful. And it's a pretty friendly city - if you're lost, ask for directions from just about anyone that looks local. If you want reflexively rude, cross over to Newark.

Also, since you're not used to the USA, remember to tip around 15% at meals, unless it's one of those pay-at-the-counter places.

And yes, if you don't buy a super fake Rolex for twenty bucks from a guy in Times Square you're doing it wrong.

Good post, Dart. Thanks. I have been to the US a couple of times, and am well aware of the tipping practices.
We will pick out some things to see, and the Intrepid will be among them wink

Fake watch, I dunno, I like the real ones biggrin

#4339189 - 02/21/17 11:54 AM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Where will the honeymoon be? Maybe the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum? biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4339203 - 02/21/17 01:00 PM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: semmern]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
I married a large country girl to keep me warm on cold winter nights

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4339206 - 02/21/17 01:09 PM Re: Considering getting married in NYC. Some advice, please. [Re: Haggart]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Haggart
I married a large country girl to keep me warm on cold winter nights
Aren't they all large in Texas? biggrin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.