Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4322195 - 12/21/16 09:06 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Dart]  
THX-1138 Offline
Tyrell Corporation
THX-1138  Offline
Tyrell Corporation

Miami, Florida - United States...
Originally Posted By: Dart
Um, not to sound pedantic, but when in the film does Decker dream of unicorns?

I think I'd of remembered a dream sequence that involved unicorns.

As mentioned previously, it was only found in the "director's cut" version that came out in the mid 1990's. Here is the original:

and a fan based one that is better:

Domestic Robotics - www.DomesRO.com

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4322272 - 12/22/16 01:18 AM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Yeah and the unicorn inclusion totally screws up Deckard's character, implying that he himself is a replicant, too.

#4322428 - 12/22/16 04:36 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I agree, it isn't necessary and doesn't fit the story. To really take that route, they would have to establish that his time as a blade runner was a memory, maybe from another city, but he's got history at the department. They give the impression he's one of the most experienced, but he's been out of the game for a while now or he and Gaff would know each other. As it is, he just knew "of" Gaff but also that he could give him a bit of a hard time about the language. It can't just be a memory, and they wouldn't stand for him being a replicant if they were in on it. Rachel was the newest model, an experiment, so he would've still had the short lifespan. It also doesn't make sense due to the fact that replicants are outlawed. What, Tyrell just turned one loose to see what happens? Nah, the original is far superior for me to believe it. Maybe Ridley wanted the movie to be something else, but he should've made more of an effort to change it than the little he did. The re-cut takes a great movie and makes it disjointed and silly.

Also, he says "I dreamt music" not "I dreamt unicorns". Half-assed effort.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4322440 - 12/22/16 05:09 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Ridley never intended a Director's cut. He was kinda forced into it.

The way I heard it, someone found an early cut of the movie, and thinking it was an international release, they showed it at a cinema festival. The surprise was, that that cut did not have the voiceover added yet, and had a few extended scenes that were cut from the theatrical print. People who disliked the original voiceover went bonkers for this version. That one was then released as a Director's cut, much to the chagrin of Ridley Scott, who had little to do with it.

He then decided that if that was the version people liked, there were a lot of things he had to change in order to make it work from his perspective, and the product of that is The Final Cut.

Maybe most people like that version better, or maybe they got little access to the original and this is how they got to experience it for the first time.

I rewatched the final cut around August, and one thing I kept thinking is how unconfortable were all those long scenes with no dialog.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 12/22/16 05:13 PM.
#4322449 - 12/22/16 05:49 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
What bugs me the most about the theatrical version is not so much the droning voice-over by Ford but the "happy ending" which is a total copout Hollywood type of ending.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4322466 - 12/22/16 06:30 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
That I can understand. Where the hell are they going? LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4338744 - 02/19/17 10:05 AM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna
Ridley never intended a Director's cut. He was kinda forced into it.

The way I heard it, someone found an early cut of the movie, and thinking it was an international release, they showed it at a cinema festival. The surprise was, that that cut did not have the voiceover added yet, and had a few extended scenes that were cut from the theatrical print. People who disliked the original voiceover went bonkers for this version. That one was then released as a Director's cut, much to the chagrin of Ridley Scott, who had little to do with it.

He then decided that if that was the version people liked, there were a lot of things he had to change in order to make it work from his perspective, and the product of that is The Final Cut.

Watched the 1982 version yesterday, and did some reading as to why there were multiple editions. This seems an adequate summary.

He may have got it out and moved on, but I'm curious, did Scott ever say that the 1982 version was his preferred?

#4338909 - 02/20/17 02:10 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: tagTaken2]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted By: tagTaken2

Watched the 1982 version yesterday, and did some reading as to why there were multiple editions. This seems an adequate summary.

He may have got it out and moved on, but I'm curious, did Scott ever say that the 1982 version was his preferred?

that looks like a great article, but I can't tell because it keeps popping up screen asking me to pay for ads or whitelist an ad blocker...grrr

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4338936 - 02/20/17 03:51 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
In the extras he said the 2007 version was the best, hence the term "final cut". He left the other 2 versions there for purists and people who think that whatever was done first was best, flaws and all.

There's really not too much difference between the 92 and 07 versions besides some effects cleanup and the replacement of Joanna Cassidy's stunt double with the actress herself in the scene where she crashes through the window (because the wig was horrible and the stunt performer was way too obviously not her).
Any other changes I've since forgotten, haven't seen the set in a few years now.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4338942 - 02/20/17 04:47 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jedi Master]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Any other changes I've since forgotten, haven't seen the set in a few years now.

As I remember it, just some wire removal and a change in the dove-release upshot (so it doesn't fly into a blue sky despite it raining :/ )

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4339002 - 02/20/17 07:53 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Oh yes, the dove shot. Now that you mention it I do remember that one clearly. That was important because it took you out of what was arguably the most emotional scene of the film.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4339005 - 02/20/17 08:25 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
My 12 year old (or whatever) self looked at that and thought "So his muscles relaxed to release the pigeon as he died. Ha ha! He just crapped himself!"

That was a bit over the top symbolism for my tastes, the only overt cliche that made my eye roll.

But I guess having him let a bird go is better than a bunch of fart and crap noises. It might have taken away somewhat from the gravity of the situation.

wink

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4339022 - 02/20/17 09:02 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
When I first saw it, all I thought was "oh so he didn't kill the bird." It was probably when I saw it again a decade later that I got it was supposed to be some sort of soul metaphor thing.

I only get symbolism when I consciously make an effort to recognize it is there and decipher it.

Robert Langdon may have said "symbols have power," but not to me. Never has. That's why I just shrug when people talk about flags or swastikas or whatever. They're there, they're not there, whatever. Doesn't mean anything to me.

The Jedi Master

#4339062 - 02/20/17 11:12 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Little bit of trivia: The exterior shots of the car driving scene at the end of the theatrical version was actually unused footage from "The Shining".

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4339731 - 02/23/17 02:39 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I just watched "Blade Runner" on the big screen last night at a special showing. It was the first time I've seen it on the big screen since I was a kid when it came out, and that was in a drive-in theatre! So it was pretty cool to see it this way again.

They didn't say which version they were showing per se, only Blade Runner (1982)" but what they did show was the original theatrical cut, with the voice-over. It's funny watching it again after reading those script notes. But, at some points, I couldn't help but think what it would be like without the narration for things like when Gaff first speaks with him in that language. How would we know it was a hybrid street-tongue, and that Deckard was purposely feigning ignorance on it? I do have the other versions (I have the limited edition "Blade Runner" DVD set that comes in a Voight-Kampff case with a mini Spinner and die-cast origami unicorn, heh)...but haven't watched them in a while to appreciate the differences. I do recall from watching this again how disappointed I was in the Pris fight scene...I was hoping for so much more and it was over in a somewhat ridiculous second. I do like the Japanese (International) version of the fight better, quite a number on his nose!

Also, in watching more intently, I'm not sure that one can say that Deckard is a replicant. I think there was only one scene where it may have suggested it, which is when Rachel asks him if he ever took the Voight-Kampff...plus, yes, what about the 4 year lifespan thing? I think I would like it better as Deckard not a replicant...but I guess that's part of the whole mystique of the thing, like what was in the box that Tom Hanks brought back to that house in "Castaway" or what was in the case in "Ronin."

I dunno...

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4339732 - 02/23/17 02:50 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by bones
.but I guess that's part of the whole mystique of the thing, like what was in the box that Tom Hanks brought back to that house in "Castaway" or what was in the case in "Ronin."

I dunno...

v6,
boNes
I personally like it when a film has some element of an unsolved mystery that is left up to the audience to think about. The spinning top at the end of "Inception" immediately comes to mind.

#4339755 - 02/23/17 03:58 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
IIRC, isn't the 4 year lifespan only mentioned in the narration? I don't recall hearing it mentioned once in the final cut which had none.

The Jedi Master

#4339758 - 02/23/17 04:02 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jedi Master]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Jedi Master
IIRC, isn't the 4 year lifespan only mentioned in the narration? I don't recall hearing it mentioned once in the final cut which had none.

The Jedi Master
Nope. The police chief mentions the 4 year life span to Deckard while they are watching the profile video on the escaped replicants.

#4339767 - 02/23/17 04:36 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
4 year lifespan did not apply to Rachel, as she was a prototype, and presumably does not apply to Deckard either for the same reason.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4339776 - 02/23/17 04:51 PM Re: Blade Runner 2049 [Re: Jayhawk]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
I do not remember anything in the movie regarding Rachel's lifespan (much less Deckard). I think Rachel was a prototype in the sense that she believed she was human.

In the book there is very specific indication of her lifespan though,

Gathering a giant white bath towel about her, Rachael said, "Did you enjoy that?" "Yes." "Would you ever go to bed with an android again?" "If it was a girl. If she resembled you." Rachael said, "Do you know what the lifespan of a humanoid robot such as myself is? I've been in existence two years. How long do you calculate I have?" After a hesitation he said, "About two more years." "They never could solve that problem. I mean cell replacement. Perpetual or anyhow semi- perpetual renewal. Well, so it goes." Vigorously she began drying herself. Her face had become expressionless. "I'm sorry," Rick said. "Hell," Rachael said, "I'm sorry I mentioned it. Anyhow it keeps humans from running off and living with an android." "And this is true with you Nexus-6 types too?" "It's the metabolism. Not the brain unit." She trotted out, swept up her underpants, and began to dress.

Also, the book describes what is Rachel's ultimate fate after she runs away with Deckard. I am hoping they use this in the sequel.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 02/23/17 04:52 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.