Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4333045 - 01/30/17 04:54 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
Yep there are a couple of youtube videos comparing us or german brands food made in their own country versus the original ones with very different results/tastes.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4333046 - 01/30/17 05:00 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
Chef Offline
Chef  Offline

North Carolina
We do still manufacture high maintenance women in the U.S. We are willing to export them anywhere across globe.

The road less traveled is filled with fewer needy people.
#4333047 - 01/30/17 05:01 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
Dick Dastardly Offline
I Don't Care Bear
Dick Dastardly  Offline
I Don't Care Bear

Earth
I just bought a Steiner scope, German glass, assembled in US, I guess that's deficit buffer. confused

Suicide is man's way of telling god "You can't fire me, I quit!"
#4333048 - 01/30/17 05:03 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
I have a nice Estwing hammer in my toolbox. I think they converted the dollar price straight to pounds.

It's not the sort of tool you want to lose.

My builder friend demolished part of a chimney after dropping his Estwing down it. He's very careful with money.

#4333049 - 01/30/17 05:04 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Chef]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Chef
We do still manufacture high maintenance women in the U.S. We are willing to export them anywhere across globe.
Russia and Ukraine are tough to compete against in that market!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4333051 - 01/30/17 05:10 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
http://www.clark.com/american-made-in-the-usa

Randolph Engineering sunglasses are the absolute best in my opinion. I've probably got five pair in various cars/modes of transport.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4333057 - 01/30/17 05:22 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Rends

Coca Cola and Pepsi is made local not imported.

This is why I laugh whenever someone in the US buys a 6 pack of Becks or Lowenbrau and say that they are drinking "German" beer. Both of those beers are brewed under license in the US and they use American water, barley, hops, etc. I'm sure those beer brands taste VERY different in Germany.
We were over in London and went to a pub on the banks of the Thames, the wife ordered up a bottle of Stella Artois, when she took a sip she spat it out and said "This is cat-a-pis, it is NOT Stella" I had to take it back to the bar and complain, turned out it was brewed in London and not in Leuven.

My telescope is made in the USA, but not that long after me getting it, Meade moved their factory to Mexico and now they are all made there.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4333060 - 01/30/17 05:26 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Alicatt]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Alicatt
We were over in London and went to a pub on the banks of the Thames, the wife ordered up a bottle of Stella Artois, when she took a sip she spat it out and said "This is cat-a-pis, it is NOT Stella" I had to take it back to the bar and complain, turned out it was brewed in London and not in Leuven.

I wonder if you can get a real Newkie Brown in Belgium? wink

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4333065 - 01/30/17 05:33 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Airdrop01]  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted By: Airdrop01
http://www.clark.com/american-made-in-the-usa

Randolph Engineering sunglasses are the absolute best in my opinion. I've probably got five pair in various cars/modes of transport.

From the list in the link only knew Stihl Martin Guitars and Zippo. Never heard of the others but i'm not that good in clothing and furniture.

#4333068 - 01/30/17 05:34 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

yep, you can, lunatic brew biggrin

Wifey drinks Guinness, Special Export brewed for Belgium @ 8%abv!

We do get various North American beers too, but not seen any red stripe or Bud smile the local supermarket has a nice range of beers from around the world.

I have some Joseph blonde beer and Achel Trappist bruin, as well as my favourite Kasteel, That will be the most difficult thing once Brexit happens, where will I get Kasteel in the UK it is not exported in any great numbers.

Clan Cameron
#4333075 - 01/30/17 05:53 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
Overall it looks like that there isn't much left to buy.
There was some stuff in the past but either gone or produced in asia (China) now.
Anyway, thx for your posts!
Rends

#4333083 - 01/30/17 06:07 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
That's sad. The only products I own on the list is Igloo, My Pillow, and Pyrex.

#4333102 - 01/30/17 07:49 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: NH2112]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: NH2112

I think First World manufacturing is pretty much limited to specialty or niche goods,

And big ticket items like military hardware, commercial jets, cars and heavy duty construction equipment.

Not to sound crass but your common every day retail items can be made by a trained monkey or can be made by an automated process (the latter is happening already anyway). To be involved in manufacturing in the developed world will require a high level of technical training and education which to be honest will be beyond the ability and motivation of a high percentage of low wage workers.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/30/17 07:49 PM.

#4333108 - 01/30/17 08:03 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Here in Portugal which is a country that imports more than it exports there are also very, very few US made products which can be found here.

The only retail product "Made in USA" which you can find here in Portugal in almost every retail or supermarket is the Tabasco hot sauce.

Personally I'm not a fan of hot sauces but some friends of mine are and they appreciate Tabasco (namely one of my friends in particular).

I also think that an another product that can be found on retail, in this case Jack Daniel's whiskey (which I appreciate) is also made in USA and can also be found here in Portugal. smile

#4333113 - 01/30/17 08:07 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: ricnunes]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: ricnunes
Here in Portugal which is a country that imports more than it exports

Would you say Vinho do Porto is the most famous Portuguese export? smile

#4333114 - 01/30/17 08:16 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
purolator Offline
purolator  Offline

The Ruhr, Germany
Just a few days ago my wife came home with some daily shopping, including a plastic bag containing almonds.

The place of origin is the US - or more precisely, California.

So the last thing I've seen imported as a good (not intellectual property) from the US into this house are almonds.

And somehow this sounds like peanuts.

#4333116 - 01/30/17 08:16 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: ricnunes
Here in Portugal which is a country that imports more than it exports

Would you say Vinho do Porto is the most famous Portuguese export? smile

Yes, I would say so.
Despite there are other Portuguese wines which seem to be catching up with Vinho do Porto or Port like you (or at least the Brits) call it in terms of exports.

#4333117 - 01/30/17 08:17 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
A bit OT, non-food:

I wonder, US cars are not selling well here, if you want you can get some but they look hopelessly.. well how to explain? They are not even epensive while offering the same luxury or even better, than european cars.

Please don't kill me but then there are few contemporary US cars that i find interesting, or fascinating. The 'design' is just so bulky, and bullying, often somehow "pompous" ahem (sorry again).
A Jeep? Anytime, but then the design has not changed much, and i'd even prefer one from the 1960ies.
The new Mustang is quite nice, but a bit too expensive (for me). A new Camaro or Corvette? No way.
An older one from the 60ies/70ies? Yes!
Must be my problem with the new design.

Last edited by Catfish; 01/30/17 08:18 PM.
#4333130 - 01/30/17 08:57 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
Well i can only speak for Jeep. They are about 10.000$ pricier than the same model you can get in the US.
The Jeep Patriot i bought in 2008 had a list price here of 34000. The same model except the engine (Diesel in Germany/ gas in the US) could be found for 23-25000$ in the US. It's a low price car in the US but was at the same price range as a VW Tiguan here in Germany.

#4333142 - 01/30/17 09:22 PM Re: Buy american (US)! From German/european perspective [Re: Rends]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Just on Friday I had to wait as a delivery truck offloaded 6 new F150 pickup trucks at Peerlings Ford dealership in the next village, so we do get a few American imports. Brother in law's brother drives a Dodge Ram pickup, and there are a few Mustangs here too. In the other direction we have a base full of F16 jets I guess those were imported from the US as well smile

Clan Cameron
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.