Hop To
#2764185 - 07/06/09 03:38 AM WHIRLWIND OVER VIETNAM  
5555 Offline
Phil S
5555  Offline
Phil S

Civilized California

Hello..ALL

I am writing at the end of a rope, where a CD begins to look like a frisbee.

The Vietnam era gunship "simulator" Whirlwind Over Vietnam" (07) from 1C and Evolved Games brings back to me significant memories. Not so much of the Ia Drang Valley events which serve as its focus, but from the lives of friends who served and one who flew a similar Huey of the period.

My purpose here is based on a gaming frustration. This program installs well. But it WILL NOT LAUNCH consistently. I have about 1/10 to 1/15 experience in attempted program launch to simulated heliocopter launch. I will get the introductory banner "splash" then a CRD. If I try to launch again, I might obtain the same results but the program will surprisingly stay in memory as is evident when I power down the system.

Evolved Games does not respond to its posted telephone number, nor to the four emails I have sent them on the subject. So:
Does anyone out there know this program? If so, can you obtain a reliable program launch pattern? I have an Athlon64, XP S/P3, Nvidia7800, 3GDRAM. I have set the primary executable to WindowsNT as the program does launch under this condition "more frequently" than no check mark and not at all under 98 or 2K

Constructive ideas would be appreciated. I am just shy of a CD Frisbee.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2764218 - 07/06/09 05:25 AM Re: WHIRLWIND OVER VIETNAM [Re: 5555]  
swift375 Offline
swift375  Offline

Sorry to hear about your experience with Whrilwind Over Vietnam. I had the same experience when the game first came out. I would get it to run maybe 1 out of 5 times and that after numerous CTD and rebooting the systems. Through my stubborness, I was able to do all of the missions. Let me tell you, it was not worth all the trouble. Some missions were not complete, by that I mean I flew to the objective and there was nothing there.

Here is a review that was done here at SimHQ a while back: http://www.simhq.com/_air10/air_292a.html

Mine came off my hard drive once I found out that there were no support from the developers. I wish some of the modders out there can do something to this game, it has potential to be an excellent simulator.

If you don't already have it, I would recommend YAP2. Go to the Yankee Air Pirate forum and you can see some of the helicopter mission videos I made. The flight model may not be as complex as other sims but I enjoy the missions very much and the support for the game is outstanding.

My advice, take the loss and make it a frisbee like you said.

Swift375

#2764477 - 07/06/09 06:00 PM WHIRLWINDs [Re: swift375]  
5555 Offline
Phil S
5555  Offline
Phil S

Civilized California

Thank you for the unfortunate response. Before CD frisbee, I had looked for a .MSI or game config to make the program responsive as EECH2, another gaming miracle. I have given up with Evolved Games, and have been warned not to waste time in anticipation of customer support. They do not lauch products. They let them escape. I am surprised by 1C they have in general released solid product which require little after launch care and support.

I was reassured by your similar misfires with Whirlwind and the recall of misfires which your attached article brought. HOWEVER

I did view you video and read about YAP. Given what I was seeking, and what I read and saw at the forum, I purchased YAP Minus (having already WOV and WOV2). Are the expansions referenced in the forum threads available for download or for payment? Are there other craft available such as the Huey?

Thank you again. Guidance on YAP would be appreciated to soften my post WV landing.

#2764600 - 07/06/09 09:44 PM Re: WHIRLWINDs [Re: 5555]  
swift375 Offline
swift375  Offline

Let me start of by letting you know that I do not work for YAP2, I'm just a average simmers who likes aircrafts from the cold war era especially those involved in the SE Asia conflict. I love how YAP2 is a sims that has a story behind every mission.

When you ordered YAP2 from yankeeairpirate.net you will receive an email that has your user name and password to be use in the members area of that site. Your first disc that you will receive will have some training missions and 15 missions. If you have not received your ID and password just go over to the Yankee Air Pirate forum here at SimHQ.
I had a problem getting my ID and password but after informing YAP support I received it within an hour after they received my request.

Here is a link to a thread by a recent customer who just ordered his YAP2 disk and got his ID and password issue resolved: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2755073/Mission_Packs_and_Purchasing_Y.html#Post2755073

Once you get your ID & password go to the missions briefing area at yankeeairpirate.net and you will be treated with outstanding briefings with photos and even Google Earth picture of the targets!

As of right now in YAP2 you can fly the UH-1Ds, the various UH-1Bs gunships, AH-1G Cobras, the CH-47 Chinooks. The developers forum also shows HH-3 Jolly Green Giant, and the Navy's SH-?? Sea King for Search and Rescue in the upcoming mission sets.

I hope this answer some of your questions regarding YAP2.

#2765829 - 07/08/09 04:50 AM DOWNWINDs [Re: swift375]  
5555 Offline
Phil S
5555  Offline
Phil S

Civilized California

Dear Mr. Swift,

I followed your direct advice ordered and subscribed to YAP2. I am impressed at this level by the kind and conscientious support. I look very much forward to the program, having had my Vietnam appetite started but then thwarted by the inconistent launch of the game. A friend "in the industry" told me to shy away from Evolved Games as much as possible. They are in deep problems and will not as a rule answer the telephone if called or answer the email if it is a technical problem. Here I learned my lesson.
These lessons become more accute when a Russian friend, who is very directly involved in the industry did some local checking at 1C and Google. He reported to me that

"Nothing. On the forums situation is the same. Silence. Nobody plays it. No support. And so on."

So I will move on to the far more promising skies of YAP

#2833092 - 08/02/09 05:05 PM Re: WHIRLWIND OVER VIETNAM [Re: 5555]  
Das_Boot Offline
Das_Boot  Offline

I purchased Whirlwind Over Vietnam and had a few issues with no response from Evolved games. I ended up downloading a full copy of the game online with a nocd crack and a modified executable file that works great. I have played through all the missions twice with no startup problems or crashes. The game is totally stable. I will agree that the game could of been so much more but flying with a Sidewinder Pro and force feedback have been a blast. I just wish there were more missions. I heard there was an editor somewhere but I have yet to find one.

#4314249 - 11/22/16 01:48 PM Re: WHIRLWIND OVER VIETNAM [Re: Das_Boot]  
jakub88 Offline
jakub88  Offline

Poland
Originally Posted By: Das_Boot

I purchased Whirlwind Over Vietnam and had a few issues with no response from Evolved games. I ended up downloading a full copy of the game online with a nocd crack and a modified executable file that works great. I have played through all the missions twice with no startup problems or crashes. The game is totally stable. I will agree that the game could of been so much more but flying with a Sidewinder Pro and force feedback have been a blast. I just wish there were more missions. I heard there was an editor somewhere but I have yet to find one.

Hi,

i recently installed Whirlwind over Vietnam, but i have a problem to start a mission, when i click the "FLY" buton the game crashes to desktop.

Could You please give me a download link (or torrent) from which You downloaded the working game?

What OS You used to play the game? I tried on Vista 32-bit, XP 32-bit, Windows 10 32 bit and 64-bit, but stil i have CTD when starting a new mission. I tested many different graphic settings and compatibility modes.

Sorry for bothering You after such long time, but maybe You will help me.

#4314396 - 11/22/16 10:42 PM Re: WHIRLWIND OVER VIETNAM [Re: 5555]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
I sadly have the same problem on my Win 7 x64 machine. frown

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#4323502 - 12/26/16 08:17 PM Re: WHIRLWIND OVER VIETNAM [Re: 5555]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Damn I was about to buy YAP2!...glad I read that forum

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4332773 - 01/29/17 09:11 PM Re: WHIRLWIND OVER VIETNAM [Re: 5555]  
FlightJunkie Offline
FlightJunkie  Offline

Bottom of the sea
Id advice you people not to bother with this terrible sim.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.