Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4326849 - 01/08/17 12:45 PM Dark Souls 3 PC  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Finished this outstanding game just recently. Amazing series.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4326960 - 01/08/17 07:38 PM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Nice captures Cheyenne. Some of those set pieces look amazing. I love the character's clothing and cape in the first few shots. I want to seriously attempt playing this series but it seems intimidating to me for because of the difficulty and creepy factor. I tried playing Demon Souls on PS3 several years ago and got too creeped out lol. I later tried Dark Souls on PS3 and the same thing happened. I'm also concerned about the difficulty and the fact that traditionally in over 25 years of gaming I hate boss fights lol. However in a similar vein I do love Dragon's Dogma. I know its not supposed to be near as hard as DS games but it seems to have that balance for me to play and enjoy and perhaps it could prove to be a stepping stone to the Dark Souls series.

Usually Steam sells Dark Souls for 5 bucks during sales but they have not done so during the past two sales. I've almost bought it a few times when it was that cheap but then Steam goes and sells it for like 11 dollars the past two sales out of the blue. I was ready this time but I don't have much money so it was still too much. Your shots are stimulating though Cheyenne and I like RPG games that incorporate a lot of ambiguity with regards to who you are as a player and what's going on in the world around you. It fosters the imagination however I don't like feeling lost so hopefully there is enough story or lore to help bring some structure and narrative even if its minimal.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4326975 - 01/08/17 08:46 PM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Actually Coot I started playing DS series very recently, like 6 months ago. I tried DS Prepare to Die Edition but the pc port was just horrible so i gave up on it.

I was told that DS2 is much better in that regard. I bought it and it does look and runs much better. I put over 130 hrs in DS2 with all the DLC. So buying DS3 was no brainer.

The series has no story in a way other RPG's have. But the lore is overwhelming. It's huge and deep. It's scary and sad. But you have to pay close attention to it. Talk to everyone, read item descriptions and explore the surroundings. Everything in this game has some meaning. And i mean everything. No other game is build like that. You have no journal, no map, no compass, no hints, nothing. But that is what makes this game so unique.

I'am not going to lie, it is difficult. But it is also very rewarding when you manage to overcome obstacles. It took me like 3-10 times to defeat each boss except the final one. He took me 2 days, over 20 attempts:)

It's not for everyone, that's for sure. But i'am very glad i finally dived into it. Since then every AAA title feels like a shallow game for a half-witted monkey.

I highly recommend to watch this guide. It explains alot about the game and it's mechanics without any spoilers. And since souls game really are like no other games, it's a big help for newcomers. There's also one for DS2.

Last edited by USSCheyenne; 01/09/17 06:27 AM.
#4327030 - 01/09/17 12:17 AM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
USSCheyenne, as a PC player I was wondering if you would say a thing or two if using a controller instead of mouse and keyboard makes a difference.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4327040 - 01/09/17 12:38 AM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Thanks for the info Cheyenne. I like the idea of having no explanation other than what can be found in lore. That kind of ambiguity that is not common in RPGs I imagine creates a lot of mystery and isolated atmosphere and immersion. It must really feel like you woke up in some alien reality or alternate universe. That's good for the imagination. Can you describe a scenario with regards to your comments about how everything designed in the game has meaning, purpose and importance? I've seen that Dark Souls PTDE has a tweak for unlocking 60fps. I wonder if that would help make it more enjoyable?

letterboy I would imagine that a controller would be very important in this type of game. I use a wireless Xbox 360 controller for Dragon's Dogma and I can't imagine using anything else other than that. There's still plenty of games that I play with mouse and keyboard but there's an ever increasing amount of games that I play with a controller just because they were designed with that in mind and is much easier and intuitive to use and so comfortable you don't even think about it. Its mostly 3rd person games though that I find that I use a controller. Even if the controls were well designed I usually dislike them for first person shooters. I usually use one in Metro2033 for the analog movement and well designed button lay out but its still a bit slow and inaccurate feeling to me when it comes to shooting. I manage okay and continue to use it as at least that's a little more slower paced for a shooter as well as it has some slower stealth parts. Otherwise I'd be using a mouse and keyboard.

#4327092 - 01/09/17 06:41 AM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: letterboy1]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: letterboy1
USSCheyenne, as a PC player I was wondering if you would say a thing or two if using a controller instead of mouse and keyboard makes a difference.

Controller is a must. Forget about playing DS games on mouse and keyboard. It's not that the devs were lazy and did not implement it right. It's because the combat system is so deep you simply need a pad for that. I'am using xbox one pad and it's really great. And i bought it specially for DS games. I haven't used pad before, i'am also a PC player.

Coot

In order to make DS PtDE playable on PC you need to tweak some ini file. It's easy.

It's quite hard to explain how this game feels like. But it is a lot like you said - you wake up in some alien reality or alternate universe (or a nightmare actually), trying to escape it.

Regarding my comment, for example you meet quite a lot of npc. Everyone has a story/quest. Many times their stories intertwine and there can be different endings to those stories. It depends on your actions, what and most importantly when you do something. Their stories tell you lots about the world you're in, about things you might encounter much, much later.

Other example. At some point you get into a huge manor. You find a ring there. From the description of that ring you find that one character performed some horrible experiments and that ring is a byproduct of these experiments. Later you find rooms filled with caged monsters. If you haven't read that description you wouldn't know the meaning of that room.

Another one. One npc tells you about an importance of another npc. It tells you what happens to them once they fullfill their role. And if you explore the world close enough you will find a mass grave of these npc. Then you realize how old this world is.

Another one. There is a some small part where you go through woods and there are many broken caravans there. If you talked to certain npc before you would know why they are there. They were used to transport some poor souls to a nearby keep where they were being eaten by some lord.

The whole game is designed like that. It gives you little info on every corner and if you pay close attention to it, you are able to paint yourself an amazing picture about this world which has been here for ages.

The best possible way to enjoy it is to know very little about it.

There are also tons of videos on yt explaining the lore. My head almost blew up when i watched them after completing the game. I missed so much even though I really was focused playing it and I thought i did everything.

Last edited by USSCheyenne; 01/09/17 07:25 AM.
#4327685 - 01/10/17 08:11 PM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Wow. Sounds really thought out in design. Just reading your post makes me feel the almost purgatory it must be dredging along through that world.

#4327836 - 01/11/17 09:45 AM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

One more thing i didn't mention which also makes this game unique. In other cRPG games your character is the one who's getting better and stronger throughout the game. In souls games it's you, the player, who's getting better. It's all about you. There is no such thing as best/worst weapon, armor or class. You can complete the game with your starting gear because it's not the gear that counts. You just need to see which weapon suits you the most, you feel most comfortable with. For example i love the most basic straight swords or rapiers, so fast weapons. I finished the game using only those. Sure, you upgrade theme but still your skills count the most. No weapon is going to win a fight for you.

Learning and adapting to a certain situation is bread and butter of souls games. If you keep making the same mistakes you will fail every time. But if you learn from them, you will feel great satisfaction because you'll know it's really you who beat the boss and not the character you're playing.

#4327940 - 01/11/17 07:45 PM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Wow. Sounds a bit addicting once you start to get into it and start learning and figuring things out. I can see where the trepidation comes in though too and frustration. Maybe knowing that going into would help. If I'm totally lost and getting mercilessly defeated that's when to step away and think differently about the scenario and maybe even pull out the wikis and Youtube videos and come back to that spot or boss at a later time.

#4327961 - 01/11/17 09:02 PM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Rest assured, at some point everyone needs help and watch some yt videos. There's no shame in that regarding souls games smile Before you do that just try doing it yourself couple of times. Dying is a big part of this game. During boss fights, you will certainly die many times. It's important that you know why you died. You'll need to learn the moveset of the boss, what and when he/she/it does and act accordingly. This game confirms that patience really is a virtue. Controlling oneself is a key in many fights. If you attack too many times at once, sure you'll inflict more damage but you will have no stamina left to defend yourself. And you'll get punished for that. And if you die you'll know that next time you should only attack once or twice tops so after that you can make a roll or use your shield. You'll learn to recognize 2-3 seconds window when it's time to attack. With some enemies you need to stay as close as possible, with some you need to keep a safe distance and use these small windows to close in and hit it. But usually only once or twice. You can't get greedy because you'll get punished:)

Last edited by USSCheyenne; 01/11/17 09:03 PM.
#4327991 - 01/11/17 11:35 PM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The biggest problem I always had with the souls game is the random loot drops. In the first two games there were monsters that you only got to kill once per play through and they had a chance to drop something unique that would be extremely useful but by the time you learned that you didnt get said item you were half way through the game and had to decide if you wanted to restart or forge ahead.

I've always been a completionist so not being able to go everywhere and get everything is annoying to me lol. And then there is the picking of guilds... uhhhhhhgggggg so frustrating lol.

#4328002 - 01/12/17 12:28 AM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
USSCheyenne, I weighed it out and decided to order a controller. I look forward to getting the most out of Dark Souls, but if not then the controller will still work with the FIFA series of soccer games. smile

X-Box controller

#4328187 - 01/12/17 09:42 PM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: Master]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: letterboy1
USSCheyenne, I weighed it out and decided to order a controller. I look forward to getting the most out of Dark Souls, but if not then the controller will still work with the FIFA series of soccer games. smile

You shouldn't regret it. Even if souls games don't appeal to you, it will come in handy for other games. I've already used mine for Mad Max and Witcher 3 smile

Originally Posted By: Master
I've always been a completionist so not being able to go everywhere and get everything is annoying to me lol. And then there is the picking of guilds... uhhhhhhgggggg so frustrating lol.

Fortunately I don't feel the urge to find every item i souls games. I just try to do my best, explore as much as possible and kill everything at least once. I also do not care much for covenants. I sure try to find them but i always just pick the one which sends help when i'am being invaded. I'am not a pvp fan smile

Last edited by USSCheyenne; 01/12/17 09:44 PM.
#4328809 - 01/16/17 04:33 AM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Did you play Bloodborne Cheyenne? I think that was made by the same people or was made like the Dark Souls games.

#4328824 - 01/16/17 09:08 AM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: Coot]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Coot
Did you play Bloodborne Cheyenne? I think that was made by the same people or was made like the Dark Souls games.

Yes it was the same company. But i haven't played it. It's PS4 exclusive and i'am pc only player. Maybe someday i'll borrow everything from a friend just to play this game smile

#4329162 - 01/17/17 07:17 PM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Ooooohhh, played with my X-Box controller and made it past the first boss. Yup, much more fun although some things are still tricky like jumping or kicking.

#4329488 - 01/18/17 11:00 PM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

jumping is supposed to be tricky. The game isnt designed for jumping really and it is only used a few times to get to items. As for kicking. Kicking can only happen if you have the right weapon set. Certain weapons dont even have a kick available from what I can tell. I started as harald and thats a sword shield combo which normally allows kicking but whatever that starter weapon was it wont kick. Also you have to be positioned right ontop of the enemy and they have to be guarding in order for the kick to initiate.

#4329631 - 01/19/17 01:48 PM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted By: USSCheyenne

I'am not going to lie, it is difficult. But it is also very rewarding when you manage to overcome obstacles. It took me like 3-10 times to defeat each boss except the final one. He took me 2 days, over 20 attempts:)

The Dark Souls games have always been on my radar, but I've yet to play any. But the quote is probably the reason I haven't. I am certain that finally beating each encounter is rewarding. But having to do it over and over while memorizing patterns just doesn't appeal.

I bought Bloodborne for my son's PS4 and maybe I should give that a go. It might change my mind and make me want to try Dark Souls. But I suck using a controller. Just takes getting acclimated to the different control scheme, but in the few minutes I played it was a fiasco as I'm looking where I mean to move and moving where I mean to look and then sometimes something in between.

The screenshots here look nice, but I'm left with the sense of sameness. Maybe it's just me, and it isn't fair to judge based on a few shots.

I've always been drawn to difficult games and sims. Falcon 4 and Grand Prix Legends are two of my most played games of all time. But I have the impression that DS is difficult for difficulty's sake if you know what I'm trying to say.

Cheyenne, as someone who has finished, what game would you say is the closest comparison on the difficulty scale? Or are there simply none to compare it to?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4329683 - 01/19/17 04:46 PM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: DBond]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: DBond
[quote=USSCheyenne]

Cheyenne, as someone who has finished, what game would you say is the closest comparison on the difficulty scale? Or are there simply none to compare it to?

I can't compare it to anything else mainly because i think souls games really are sort of a separate genre. They are not slashers (which i don't play, i hate these type of games), far from that. They're also not action cRPGs like Witcher. The statistics and leveling is much less important. It's all about you and your abilities.

At some level i agree with what you said, that they're difficult for difficulty's sake. The game is designed to kill you. It's not just the fighting. There are traps and ambushes. Not to mention falling down is one of the most common way to die in souls games. Death is around every corner. You have to be focused all the time. At any point you can be killed by a bunch of rats because you failed to see a whole in the ground and you fell to some pit with rodents. The most basic enemy can kill you anytime if you do something stupid.

Souls games are not fast games IMHO and that is good for me. You really have to be patient. Mashing buttons won't get you anywhere.

But i totaly get that they are not for everyone. Many times i was close to dumping it.

But at the same time souls games are fair. There is no cheating from the AI. You die because you made a mistake and it's up to you if you repeat these mistakes or not. If you explore maps carefully you will always unlock shortcuts. So even if you die, you won't have to go through the whole area again. This is how the game rewards you.

#4329711 - 01/19/17 06:35 PM Re: Dark Souls 3 PC [Re: ]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the answer. I remain on the fence regarding the Dark Souls games. You must feel a nice sense of accomplishment having made it through. Nice work.

I think eventually I'll try to get in to Bloodborne and see where that leads.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.