Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4325797 - 01/04/17 07:29 AM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Cool AAR and the side discussions are really informative too. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4326397 - 01/06/17 12:04 PM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Not a bad game Para, i've done both Union and Confederate campaigns up until Vicks. I ended up hardly ever using rookies, only a couple of brigades as front line filler and relied a lot on skirms and cav for capturing enemy supplies and mowing down arty in the back. Made a big difference to my battles when my vets didn't have to face much arty and the enemy broke more than few times from lack of ammo. I never put any points into recon or medicine at all, seemed a waste of resources. I also sold everything i didn't use, long range arty and a lot of guns which went into funding more units. A lot more units.

Much better feel overall than Gettysburg, more polished and more in depth. Looking forward to a complete campaign smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4326618 - 01/07/17 03:37 PM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
juri_js Offline
juri_js  Offline

I've bought the game yesterday, thanks to this AAR. So far I really like it. It's simple but addictive.

#4327784 - 01/11/17 01:26 AM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: juri_js]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I think it's very realistic.

It seems Para was "neutralized" by a Yankee sniper...or liquor salesman...or...say it isn't so...a "woman of questionable virtue" sent by those heathen Yankees!

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4327867 - 01/11/17 01:51 PM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. wink

The CSA won another 2 smaller battles, which allows me to reorganize my army. 1st Corps now consists of 3 divisions with 13.606 soldiers and 60 guns while 2nd Corps acts as reserve for future army enlargement and right now consists of only a single cavalry brigade.

My infantry brigades are well equipped with Springfield M1842 muskets while the 6th Virginia got equipped with Lorenz rifle-muskets from Austria.

All in all I feel we're in a pretty good shape for the next battle: Shiloh.

General Grant's army is currently encamped near Pittsburg Landing on the west bank of the Tennessee river, waiting for General Buell's Army of the Ohio. Once concentrated it is expected he'll strike towards Corinth, deep into Confederate territory.
Since the Union army is still scattered in various encampments this is our chance to hit them hard in a surpsise attack.
For this attack I have at my disposal my own 1st Corps as well as General Bragg's 2nd Corps and a Reserve Corps of General Breckinridge.

The initial attack against the Yankee encampment at Shiloh church goes well:

My skirmishers scout ahead, then we fix the enemy forces with a holding frontal attack and swing the bulk of 1st corps around their right flank. Looks like we managed to completely surprise them!

Grant counterattacks and runs into a wall of fire!

On the right flank we advance on the Yankee position at Hornet's Nest and begin to form an envelopment. Heavy fighting but the arrival of Breckinridge's reserve Corps should tip the fighting in our favour.

With both attacks at Shiloh Church and Hornet's Nest successful it's now time for the final attack: take the Union position at Pittsburgh Landing! This is gonna be a tough nut to crack. We have sufferend quite a few casualties by now and my troops are getting tired. The Yankee position looks strong and they still have enough troops to man a spirited defense. They also get support from several gunboats on the river which can seriously hurt any units getting too close to them. I plan for a flank attack by my 1st Corps while Bragg and Breckinridge are ordered to conduct another holding frontal attack.

While we push the enemy back in the center and on the right flank three of my brigades, led by the Stonewall brigade on my extreme left, manage to flank the Yankee position! While my infantry brigades move into position my artillery batteries start softening up the Union defenses.

Forward boys! Attack! We overrun the Yankee positions!

What's that? Damn! The Yankees surprise me with an attack on my left flank! I rush all available brigades to stop the attack! Several artillery batteries take up position in support of the Stonewall brigade, the 1st Texas brigade and several reserve brigades.

Under a withering barrage of fire the enemy attack falters, then breaks up. Leaving behind a field full of bodies the Yankees turn and run!

VICTORY!

Our losses were serious (6.232, 26%) but less than half than those suffered by the Union army (13.103, 59%). And while we only lost 2 cannons, the Yankees lost 58! We also managed to capture quite a few supplies and almost 3.000 Palmetto M1842 muskets, enough to outfit 2 infantry brigades! We also captured 16 various artillery pieces, a welcome addition to Confederate firepower.
Officer casualties thankfully are low, with Generals John Jackson and Patton Anderson wounded. And we received a host of promotions for a large number of officers!

/band plays Dixie Land

charge

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 01/11/17 01:57 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4328034 - 01/12/17 02:24 AM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4328077 - 01/12/17 12:10 PM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Wow, those lopsided victory stats are right up there with what happened at Chancellorsville!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4328083 - 01/12/17 01:05 PM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
It's a fun wargame but I have to admit the enemy force scaling is starting to annoy me a bit. The system basically mirrors your army and adds some more troops on top for the enemy AI. I understand that this is a decision to avoid the problem of stomping the AI after the 1st battles, but it also takes out the fun of army building. For example, I earlier started to build up my artillery. As a result I now run into enemy 24-gun batteries every battle. You increase brigade size? So will the enemy.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#4328112 - 01/12/17 03:31 PM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
It's a fun wargame but I have to admit the enemy force scaling is starting to annoy me a bit. The system basically mirrors your army and adds some more troops on top for the enemy AI. I understand that this is a decision to avoid the problem of stomping the AI after the 1st battles, but it also takes out the fun of army building. For example, I earlier started to build up my artillery. As a result I now run into enemy 24-gun batteries every battle. You increase brigade size? So will the enemy.

Yeah, I've seen this done in other games (I'm looking at you Total War!) and I simply think it's due to the limitations of AI programming. We're not quite there yet with making truly intelligent AI so the AI gets cheats/bonuses instead.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4328206 - 01/12/17 11:41 PM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Good points PM.

Not an easy job duplicating the decision process involved in a commander's plans on a battlefield. Really not possible without true AI....which I am NOT looking forward to. nope

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4328250 - 01/13/17 03:55 AM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Para_bellum, as always, you produce some fantastic AARs of some items I may not have had initial interest in. However, your narratives, explanations and screen shots certainly tell a great story every time. I am now considering buying this just based on your AAR alone.

Looking forward to more of the fight...

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4328303 - 01/13/17 12:02 PM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Thanks!

Glad you guys enjoy it.

cheers

#4328484 - 01/14/17 02:47 PM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Para_bellum
Thank you for the outstanding AAR's,,bought it this morning..

Russ
Semper Fi
#4328492 - 01/14/17 03:28 PM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: rwatson]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Para you are now the number #1 retailer this week for the game. winkngrin

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4328975 - 01/17/17 12:32 AM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: rwatson]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: rwatson
Para_bellum
Thank you for the outstanding AAR's,,bought it this morning..

Thanks for the heads up that it's available, on Steam no less.....thought it was a yet to be released title.

Going to buy and download tonight.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
24GB GTX 980M video
#4329059 - 01/17/17 01:31 PM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Yes I'd rather see something like this well written by a gamer than canned reviews..Saves me from buying another piece of crap I end up forgetting about

Russ
Semper Fi
#4329766 - 01/20/17 12:10 AM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Para_Bellum, how easy was the game to figure out? I am not seeing any sort of tutorial scenarios and though not afraid of jumping into the deep end, just wanted to ask your opinion, or others too.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
24GB GTX 980M video
#4329870 - 01/20/17 11:06 AM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
IMO the game is a fine example of "easy to learn, difficult to master". The controls are fairly simple and it doesn't take long to figure out how things work. Stuff like campaign management is a bit more complex and you'll need to understand how it all works and what does exactly what.

Still, it's not a complicated game and it shouldn't take long to grasp the basics.

#4329875 - 01/20/17 11:55 AM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
IMO the game is a fine example of "easy to learn, difficult to master".

Ah so it's just like chess! smile

#4329876 - 01/20/17 11:56 AM Re: Rebel Yell: A Civil War AAR [Re: Para_Bellum]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
IMO the game is a fine example of "easy to learn, difficult to master". The controls are fairly simple and it doesn't take long to figure out how things work. Stuff like campaign management is a bit more complex and you'll need to understand how it all works and what does exactly what.

Still, it's not a complicated game and it shouldn't take long to grasp the basics.

Thanks Para_Bellum. I started dabbling just a tad earlier and you're right, it's not as bad or intimidating as first thought.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
24GB GTX 980M video
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.