Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4325386 - 01/02/17 09:12 PM Anyone using DCS with the Vive?  
Ricob Offline
Ricob  Offline

I just got my Vive and a very high end new computer for it. I am about to start downloading DCS and was looking for any good input on settings and set-up for the latest DCS 1.5 build.
Anything I have to do differently in the set-up process for VR (do I just select all items under the VR tab?)
Does the pixel density slider work yet or is it best to use the renderTargetMultiplier setting in the config file still?
Any weird behavior to look out for? How is the mouse cursor working?

Any advice or comments appreciated. Thanks

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4325387 - 01/02/17 09:33 PM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

It works great in DCS. That's one thing DCS has got right this year. Its pretty much plug and play. In the DCS settings there is a VR checkbox, along the lines of graphic quality , low, med, high. You check that and the settings are set pretty low. You can adjust from there. I will say DCS2 has a far better performance than 1.5 in VR.
You have an option to use the mouse or you can use your "vision" just look at a button and its clickable, tooltip pops up. I use the mouse
I have my TargetMultiplier set at 1.5 in the vive settings and I'm pretty sure the slider in DCS works, I have it set in vive settings for other games that do not have their own slider.
Other than that have fun.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4325392 - 01/02/17 09:58 PM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
Ricob Offline
Ricob  Offline

Thanks - much appreciated comments.

I started downloading DCS 1.5 because I thought it might be more stable for VR than DCS 2. However if you think that DCS 2 has better VR performance then there is no reason I can't go that route (I already own Nevada).

#4325416 - 01/02/17 11:54 PM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I'm a Rift user but can confirm the slider in-game works fine. I have a GTX 1080 and the game maintains high frame rates at 2.0 (mileage will obviously vary depending on your GPU.

One thing Ive found really handy is not to enable VR within the game as the menus aren't particularly well-done if you need to restart following a change. If you create new shortcuts for your alpha andbeta branches and modify the shortcuts to invoke VR you have the option to play the VR or non-VR version.

Change path as required depending on your installation;

This shortcut will start DCS with VR enabled:
C:\DCS\bin\DCS.exe --force_enable_VR

This shortcut will start DCS with VR disabled:
C:\DCS\bin\DCS.exe --force_disable_VR

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4325421 - 01/03/17 12:05 AM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
Ricob Offline
Ricob  Offline

Nice shortcut tip - I will use.

I have a 1080 and i7-6700K OC and will start at 1.5 and work up to 2 if all goes well. J_R above mentioned that there is a VR checkbox with graphics quality with low, med, high (I have not seen it yet). What do you keep yours at with the 1080?

#4325441 - 01/03/17 02:08 AM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Sorry I wasn't clear. There is a VR checkbox it doesn't have a low,med,high settings. It works like a low med high setting. Checking the VR checkbox will lower your settings.
Look at it this way there are 4 graphic preset checkboxes
Low
Med
High
VR
You check the VR box and you have a low graphic setting. Shadows, visibility range, civil traffic etc you can adjust. I have mine all maxed and get a decent 40fps in VR with 2x980ti sli.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4325447 - 01/03/17 03:03 AM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
Grunt0331 Offline
Grunt0331  Offline

When I first booted DCS with my Vive, I was blown away by the immersion. However, my joy quickly faded when I realized there was no practical way I could see the keyboard and some of my other more complex peripherals with the headset on my face. I tried integrating the forward looking camera, but it just wasn't clear enough to be useful.

I'll still load it up from time to time to just to fly around, but if I'm going to seriously be playing with some of the more complex aircraft, then I will play the old fashioned way with TrackIR and a standard monitor.

de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
#4325464 - 01/03/17 04:20 AM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
Ricob Offline
Ricob  Offline

Good point Grunt... I wondered about that. I am going to try and max out the HOTAS obviously and I also currently use VoiceAttack so I may expand its use. We'll give it a go and see where I end up. Fortunately a few of my current favorite planes are not the most complex.

#4325592 - 01/03/17 06:16 PM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Grunt0331]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted By: Grunt0331
However, my joy quickly faded when I realized there was no practical way I could see the keyboard and some of my other more complex peripherals with the headset on my face.

Sorry, but you've not realized this until the time you tried the VR headset???

- Ice
#4325746 - 01/04/17 02:49 AM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
I asked this in another thread, but I was of the understanding that head movement within the cockpit is as natural as you turning your head. Did I misunderstand this action ability within Vive or OR? Is movement then relegated to using a keyboard or hat switch on your joystick?

Apologies for being sort of off topic

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4325771 - 01/04/17 04:48 AM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: strykerpsg]  
Hotdognzz Offline
Hotdognzz  Offline

Originally Posted By: strykerpsg
I asked this in another thread, but I was of the understanding that head movement within the cockpit is as natural as you turning your head. Did I misunderstand this action ability within Vive or OR? Is movement then relegated to using a keyboard or hat switch on your joystick?

The Vive and Oculus in DCS is 1:1 head turning matched to the proper head turning of the pilot within the AC, this is what makes it so much fun, your really have to look over your shoulder to see whats on your six. You have no need to use a hat switch.

To the OP

My group i fly with only use VR in DCS, I use a Vive and others use a Oculus.

I have a new rig with an i7 and a 1080 in it, I clicked the high settings and then set the shadows to low and visibility to low, my pixel slider is set to 1.6 and the FPS are great, I can also read most gauges with these settings. Also set model size to large as this will help you see ground targets and air targets a bit easier.

We fly everything from the A10C, F15, SU27 and P51, usinga Thrustmaster Warthog I have just rememberd all the key bindings so I never have to lift the Vive to look at the keyboard :), have fun its an awsome world in VR in sims.

Hotdognzz
#4325773 - 01/04/17 04:49 AM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Hotdognzz]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: Hotdognzz
Originally Posted By: strykerpsg

The Vive and Oculus in DCS is 1:1 head turning matched to the proper head turning of the pilot within the AC, this is what makes it so much fun, your really have to look over your shoulder to see whats on your six. You have no need to use a hat switch.

Fantastic news! I thought there was that specific feature. Apologies for disrupting the thread and asking a goofy question.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4325890 - 01/04/17 03:42 PM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
BrettT Offline
BrettT  Offline

Louisiana
I got the Vibe for Christmas and have been using it a fair bit since then. Overall I have been very happy with it. A couple observations I have had are:

- The pixel density slider doesn't appear to be working for the vive in either version (or at least I am not seeing a noticeable difference in values or performance)

- In 1.5 it seems to be locked at max pixel density in application and the VR zoom function works just fine. Additionally, the colors seem all washed out both in and out of the cockpit

- In 2.0 it seems to be locked at a lower pixel density slider in application and the VR zoom doesn't work at all. The colors do look right in 2.0

Just my perception. Overall I have been enjoying it very much both in DCS and P3D and other room scale stuff. It is pretty neat to step outside of the cockpit and take a look at the details on exterior model

#4325982 - 01/04/17 08:44 PM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
Hotdognzz Offline
Hotdognzz  Offline

A recent update to DCS 1.5 washed all the colours out in the Steam version also and the zoom function doesn't work either, must try stand alone 1.5 to see what benefits the zoom function gives.

Hotdognzz
#4325994 - 01/04/17 09:30 PM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
Ricob Offline
Ricob  Offline

Got the basics all working in 1.5 (thanks for the worthwhile comments) and I am LOVING this. I won't go on about the immersion and feeling because you guys already know this.

So the pixel density does seem to be a bit of a mystery. The colours are great up to 1.4 but if I go higher than that, as had been mentioned above, the colours all get seriously washed out (I am on stand alone). I thought it might be something to do with HDR but this does not seem to the case. Also as BrettT mentioned the pixel density slider does not seem to do much at this point in time anyway. Has anyone just gone back to renderTargetMultipler and got any better results?
At the moment I am doing as Hotdognzz did and am playing around with the settings on High and trying different variations of that.

#4326117 - 01/05/17 08:27 AM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
Know what annoys me about VR in Steam? I don't have a VR headset but VR mode is the default run mode for DCS in Steam. I even emailed ED about it and they said it is a Steam requirement. I am calling BS because I have other VR capable games in Steam and VR mode is not their default. Most people do not have a VR headset so wtf annoy us by making that the default run mode?

#4326269 - 01/05/17 08:17 PM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
My first thought when firing up DCS in VR was claustrophobia. Those cockpits are tiny and you don't really appreciate that when it's just a 2d image on a a screen in front of you.

Because I cannot see the keyboard or any documentation I may need to reference, I only use it on the aircraft I know well and go back to TrackIR on anything I haven't flown in a while.

#4326342 - 01/06/17 01:51 AM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: wormfood]  
Hotdognzz Offline
Hotdognzz  Offline

Originally Posted By: wormfood
My first thought when firing up DCS in VR was claustrophobia. Those cockpits are tiny and you don't really appreciate that when it's just a 2d image on a a screen in front of you.

Because I cannot see the keyboard or any documentation I may need to reference, I only use it on the aircraft I know well and go back to TrackIR on anything I haven't flown in a while.

Its quite the experience being in VR vrs a 2d flat monitor, I love the way you feel like you are really in the cockpit and get to see how cramped they can be. Im with you I only fly AC in VR that I know well but I will also take new AC up for a spin in VR with the keys setup for no combat flying, everything else and mission testing is flown in 2d with Track IR

This last steam sale I grabbed the BF109K, F86 & Gazelle, I will set up all the std controls on my Warthog and fly them in a VR no combat role just so I can experience them in VR glory.

Hotdognzz
#4326361 - 01/06/17 04:37 AM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I'm part of those who simply can't go back to monitor. The feeling of dogfighting in VR is just sensational and all the aerobatics involved really come alive when you're in the cockpit. I really flying WW1 so I've tried going back to some of the sims which don't have VR support like WOFF UE or RoF but it's just not clicking for me anymore.
so for DCS there's just no hesitation for me, it's VR all the time. It might have changed slightly the pattern of what and how I'm flying (more dogfighting, more time in simpler stuff like ww2 crafts and Huey - but then again I find the Blackshark highly flyable in VR though).

Edit: by the way I do have a small keyboard + mini trackball setup near my throttle - it's really easy to use the trackball if needed, and if I really need to press a key I lift the Vive slightly and can see it - but once I'm up in the air I've got all I need on my X52 pro really, especially with the cockpits being clickable and voice attack for more complicated stuff (and yet I find that I don't really need it in fact).

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 01/06/17 04:39 AM.
#4333103 - 01/30/17 07:52 PM Re: Anyone using DCS with the Vive? [Re: Ricob]  
Rotorhead2037 Offline
Rotorhead2037  Offline

Contact PM Office email form
I'm into helicopters rather than jets and use an oculus.

I've 20 years flying real helicopters and the feeling of being in a real cockpit is unrivaled.

I've not attempted to fight the aircraft yet, but the sensation of flying is remarkable. Poling a Gazelle around the mountains is second to none.

If you can afford one get one, of either flavour. Needs a decent video card though, CPU provided is at least mid level is less of an issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.