Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4325834 - 01/04/17 11:39 AM My first combat sortie AAR  
Dryjo Offline
Dryjo  Offline

Prague, CZ
Hello gentleman,

yesterday I managed to finish my first patrol and I am so overwhelmed by the great feeling, that I just have to share it with someone (tried my wife, but I just got a slightly raised eyebrow as a feedback..). So here is my report:

Thomas Arthur Delaney, born 3.3.1896 in Belfast, has been assigned right after his basic training to 22. RFC squadron. It is a fighter squadron, but it flies Fe2bs in april 1916.

My very first mission was a transfer from St. Omer to Vert Galand aerodrome. I got lost on the way, but soon found my way and arrived at my new airfield. It is very comfortable and I like it there. Especially the fact that takeoff field is easterly oriented, so it will be very convenient for scramble takeoffs.

Fe2b is a wonderful kite. At first I thought it an ugly crate, but I am starting to love it. I didn´t get much acquainted with the crew here, for I think, this will be very much subject to change and I am not very good with names.

3.4.1916, 17:10 - combat patrol to the Auchel/Lozinghem airfield area, 3x Fe2b, mission: patrol the area for 24 minutes.
Weather: thick clouds with rain, cloudbase 4500 ft

I took off together with two more Fes, me flying as number 3. Flight A consisted of 1 Fe, which was to provide high cover.
Right after takeoff, we headed straight North, flying for about ten minutes. In the 3/4 of our route, the leader starts to climb in circles. After 15 minutes we are at about 6000 ft and are again heading North, direction Fruges.
With the town on the horizon (visibility is low), so I estimate about 5 miles from the town, we register that the searchlight in town is scanning our direction, we assume that it is checking our allegiance and continue the flight.
In about a minute I check my 3 o clock where number 2 has been positioned for the whole flight, only to find out, he is gone. Hearing nothing out of ordinary (no gunfire), I assume he did turn back because of engine trouble. I check my leader who is flying right on course, probably without any notice, that number 2 is gone. Whne I glimpse right again, I see an enemy for my first time.
It is Fokker eindecker and he is heading straight for my leader, I was very lucky, he didn´t come after me, because he approached us completely unnoticed. At first I wonder, what is he doing on our side of a front, but first things first. We have to protect our leader!
I turn to the Foks six and my observer opens fire on him. Some bullets must have hit him, because he breaks hard left in a steep bank. I try to follow him, but after pulling the stick too harshly my Fe gets into quick spin. I recover in about 1,5 spins. Fortunately the enemy couldn´t capitalise on that and I am qickly on his six again. This time he maneuvres wildly, so I cannot confirm any hits. After a few bursts (approx. 40 rounds) our front Lewis jams. I attempt to unjam it, but failed.
So I change my tactics and let the enemy get behind me, so my observer can use his rear gun. We get under fire, but no hits landed and after a while my observer ceases fire. The enemy disengaged. I try to look for him and for my eader, but am unable to localise any of them.
So I turn for my patrol route back again, as besides the jammed gun, my Fe looks unharmed. After a short while we arrive at the patrol area. I set up a circle pattern bordered by river on one side and the edge of the forest on the other, it must be something like 5 square miles.
The time is circa 17:40. I circle around watching the sun set, no contacts. I see the lights on the nearby airfield lid. The scenery is marvellous, despite the nasty weather. At around 18:00 I set course back to Vert Galand. Nothing happens on the way home.
Some 5 miles or so, from the base it starts to rain and it is almost completely dark now. I am starting to worry if I will be able to find the airfield, almost panicking in one moment, when I cannot find any landmarks on my map. But almost immediately, I spot a lid barrels on the ground. Relieved I landed on Vert Galand without any problems at approx. 18:20.
I didn´t claim the eindecker, for I was too afraid it would get unconfirmed and I´d look silly.

The result was one claimed victory by our top cover (unconfirmed). Our number three crash - landed, during which unfortunately his observer has been killed.
I was the only one to reach the patrol area.

Sorry for my english, ii is getting kinda rusty..

Have anice day smile

"Per aspera ad astra!"
#4325844 - 01/04/17 12:22 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
Very nice first sortie. Glad you made it back.

#4325846 - 01/04/17 12:25 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: rtoolooze262]  
Dryjo Offline
Dryjo  Offline

Prague, CZ
Originally Posted By: rtoolooze262
Very nice first sortie. Glad you made it back.

Yeah, with a little luck smile.

"Per aspera ad astra!"
#4325856 - 01/04/17 01:24 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Dryjo,

Very nice report. It seems that in one mission you encountered a number of the features that make WOFF such an incredible experience: realistic engine failures (that vary in frequency according to machine), a truly live world with enemies flying real missions and not simply spawning, dynamic weather and lighting effects including lit aerodromes, and a real squadron environment with people coming and going (both vertically and horizontally).

I will look forward to the day you join one of the DiD (dead is dead) campaigns, where we fly a pilot day by day through the war and if you lose your man, he's gone forever and you must start again with a new pilot. Some of the members enjoy writing detailed reports, memoirs, diaries, and letters to home from their pilots. Once you have a fellow at the front for a few months you feel genuinely nervous crossing the lines!

#4325862 - 01/04/17 01:45 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
Dryjo Offline
Dryjo  Offline

Prague, CZ
Yes, this simulator is just genuine experience.

I sort of play this kind of experience too. Being restricted to one life is a must for me smile. I also very much enjoy flying with paper map only, so I sometimes spend a good 20 minutes preparing for the mission (planning the mission, charting etc.) Good to hear, I am not the only weirdo in the world smile.

"Per aspera ad astra!"
#4325867 - 01/04/17 02:08 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Dryjo,
One, your English is fine. Two, you are not alone with the blank stare from the wife. Three, there are many of us weirdo's here.

Glad you are enjoying WOFF. Having flown it for years I still see new things that stop me in my tracks!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4325869 - 01/04/17 02:10 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Dryjo,
One, your English is fine. Two, you are not alone with the blank stare from the wife. Three, there are many of us weirdo's here.

Glad you are enjoying WOFF. Having flown it for years I still see new things that stop me in my tracks!

As Raine suggests, give the DID campaign a try. It is a lot of fun. As you are flying with maps, and I assume no aids, welcome to the dark side.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4325872 - 01/04/17 02:17 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I second Raine's remarks, we would love to have you join us in the Centenary DID.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4325873 - 01/04/17 02:18 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
Dryjo Offline
Dryjo  Offline

Prague, CZ
Ok, I will read up the DiD.
No aids is a little tricky here, because, I still don´t know all the hotkeys to turn them off.. But I found out Z to turn some off and today I read Ctrl + I and Shift - D today, so I will give it a go in the evening.
Thank you guys for warm welcome, this looks like a beginning of one beautiful friendship
wave cheers

"Per aspera ad astra!"
#4325874 - 01/04/17 02:30 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Yep, just read the first page of the Centenary DID thread and all of the rules and how to get started are listed there.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4325877 - 01/04/17 02:41 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
Dryjo Offline
Dryjo  Offline

Prague, CZ
I read it and the idea is great. I will just fly freely for the moment, but maybe in the future, I will give it a go. But there is some great reading in that thread guys smile.

"Per aspera ad astra!"
#4325878 - 01/04/17 02:48 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Welcome to the meat grinder Dryjo,loved that report pal.
You,ve purchased arguably the best singleplayer sim ever made,you,ll have plenty of experiences like the one in your report.

heres a link to the keys mate hope it helps.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3877373/WOFF_Default_Key_Guide_WIP#Post3877373

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4325888 - 01/04/17 03:35 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Adger]  
Dryjo Offline
Dryjo  Offline

Prague, CZ
Thanks, its coming out of printer right now smile.

"Per aspera ad astra!"
#4325927 - 01/04/17 05:39 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Great report Dryjo, welcome.

Note WOFF UE has one or two new keys, and that updated keyboard chart is also in your installation

C:\OBDSoftware\WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\documentation (default location).
"WOFF Key Guide Print" PDF if you want to print it.

It's also visible in the Workshop - you can click to display on screen in there.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4325950 - 01/04/17 07:00 PM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
Robert_Wiggins Online smile
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Online Smile
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Dryjo, I see I am late to the party, to welcome you joining WOFF. You will love it and find always something new to experience.

You will find the members of this forum a very supportive community so if you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask them.

I also loved your report and the details. You are a prime candidate for the DiD campaigns that are hosted here. I agree with you to continue familiarizing yourself with the WOFF sim before joining in. Don't forget that the "Quick Combat" feature is the best place to familiarize yourself with each new machine you fly, and to gain experience with all the features of WOFF, including the keyboard chart use.

Glad to have you here, and as RAF_Louvert always says "The new guy buys the first round of the virtual drinks" biggrin

Best Regards;

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4326071 - 01/05/17 02:33 AM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dryjo
I also very much enjoy flying with paper map only, so I sometimes spend a good 20 minutes preparing for the mission (planning the mission, charting etc.) Good to hear, I am not the only weirdo in the world smile.

Dryjo, you sound like my kind of pilot. Yep, paper maps are just awesome.

#4326093 - 01/05/17 05:19 AM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: 77_Scout]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Originally Posted By: 77_Scout
Originally Posted By: Dryjo
I also very much enjoy flying with paper map only, so I sometimes spend a good 20 minutes preparing for the mission (planning the mission, charting etc.) Good to hear, I am not the only weirdo in the world smile.

Dryjo, you sound like my kind of pilot. Yep, paper maps are just awesome.

Seconded! Welcome Dryjo!

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4326102 - 01/05/17 07:55 AM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
Dryjo Offline
Dryjo  Offline

Prague, CZ
Thank you again for great welcome gents smile. Unfortunately Thomas A. Delaney died on yesterdays patrol (his 4th). So RIP. The cause was a collision with eindekker.
Controls are now under control, at least with some help from the paper. The game is so great that I am a little worried about my marriage. Wifey is patient, but everything got its limits biggrin. Anyway, when I have another overwhelming experience in the air (as was the reported patrol) I will post it.
I also very much enjoy reading others reports in the DiD thread, some of you guys are really tallented storytellers.
Salute and yes, the beers are on me. cheers

"Per aspera ad astra!"
#4326344 - 01/06/17 01:56 AM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Dryjo. I am even later to welcome you. I can see you have bee bitten hard by the simming bug! biggrin

I like just to hang out here; Thus is a really friendly and helpful and very civil bunch. "Real world" is very busy FOR ME and finding time to fly is tough. I can only hope I can become as good a pilot as you already are some time. And your English, as others have noted is quite good! I really enjoyed reading your report.

Best to you, Happy New Year, and a hearty Welcome! beercheers

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4326372 - 01/06/17 07:53 AM Re: My first combat sortie AAR [Re: Dryjo]  
Dryjo Offline
Dryjo  Offline

Prague, CZ
Hi Drone, I am sorry to hear about your lack of time. I somehow still manage to fly at least one patrol per day (when everybody else is asleep :D). Maybe that would be a solution for you too? You know, put everyone to sleep, kiss the kids, kiss the wife (that may také some time, I got that), but after that you have a whole night, depending how much of a sleeper you are, at your disposal wink.

"Per aspera ad astra!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse