Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4324631 - 12/30/16 04:43 PM What New Hell Is This?!? Morane Saulnier L  
Lanzfeld Offline
Lanzfeld  Offline

God save the Queen!

Made it to the front to be assigned this rat-trap, god forsaken kite. Just looking at it on the walk around made my stomach feel.....funny. Don't breathe on it.....she will split!

My first mission.....arty spotting...and I get to lead B flight with A flight snickering at me. Oh good! Questionable weather! Yes...put that on top of a new guy, flying a new crate, leading the flight (no TAC, no inflight map, one level of zoom) with printed maps from a new aerodrome.

Hop in! cheers

Sitting in the pit......"okay...you can take off the blindfold now"! What? This is my view? Why the hell not?!? Just look at this fine-stitched covering on the bottoms of the wings...(if you want to call them that)........just look at it will you???...BECAUSE ITS ALL I CAN LOOK AT!!!

I take off and immediately get turned around trying to peek a sight from the pit and trying to fight the nose up demands. Somehow....I locate myself again and must make my way to the front. Bad bad bad weather......no sign of A flight.........and my poor wingman is gone! Oh my god the paperwork I will be filling out!

Press on.

After zig zagging around the weather and going from homemade checkpoint to checkpoint, I find my arty zone! Nice hole in the clouds right where I need it to be. I learn to lean out of the pit for 90% of the flight to see what little I can. Oh look! My wingman has found me. So nice of you, sport!

Long long 23 minutes but it comes to pass. I even saw A flight circling and still mocking me. "Ding ding" I need a drink! Let's go home. Not as easy to land as the BE-2C now is she?

Seriously......respect to the men who fought and died in this thing. I have over 16,000 hours of real flight time and it blows my mind. Yes sir......I am submitting my transfer request. I hope it's approved quickly. It's Jan 1, 1916 and rumor has it there is a dark cloud over the trenches..........with a monowing.

pilot

Last edited by Lanzfeld; 12/30/16 08:04 PM.
#4324637 - 12/30/16 04:56 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
rofl biggrin Your killing me... oh please stop so I can get my breath.

Don't you know the brass considers it state of the art for new pilots biggrin

Thanks Lanzfeld...I needed a mornight smile!!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4324639 - 12/30/16 05:05 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

She is a treat to fly, isn't she Lanzfeld. I particularly like it when the engine decides to conk on the little beastie, or even better when it catches fire because you loaded it up with raw fuel by over-using the blip switch.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4324641 - 12/30/16 05:10 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
Lanzfeld Offline
Lanzfeld  Offline

Oh good god man!

Let's hope the transfer is approved.....or I get appendicitis or something. Seriously if I'm caught out in the wild in this thing I'm pretty sure the best you can do is throw yourself at the mercy of the court.

Just wave at the Fokkers and say " hello........I'm a baby seal..........club me "

#4324650 - 12/30/16 05:17 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Well, at the very least you'll want to pray to all that's holy for a gunner/obs who's worth his salt. Unfortunately I've come to the all-too-painful conclusion that they are few and far between in WOFF, so the best combat tactic at your disposal is usually that of brave Sir Robin - bravely run away.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.

#4324656 - 12/30/16 05:24 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Makes you wonder why would anyone pick this over the trenches.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4324664 - 12/30/16 05:50 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

I prefer inline engines. At least you can't blip yourself to death with them. biggrin

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4324665 - 12/30/16 05:54 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Fullofit]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted By: Fullofit
Makes you wonder why would anyone pick this over the trenches.

I do.

Love this plane, even did shot down a Fokker Eindecker.

#4324704 - 12/30/16 07:22 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
McCudden wrote that the Morane had a number of "nasty tricks," was extremely sensitive fore and aft, and would turn over if landed even slightly out of line with the wind.

CS Lewis said that pilots trained on Avros and BE2s, once they transferred to Moranes, "killed themselves with alarming rapidity."

The killer was the Morane's elevator, or rather the lack of a proper one. Instead, the entire tailplane pivoted on a central fulcrum, making the thing very difficult to keep level. The stick, too short to be gripped comfortably, had to be held firmly central at all times. If you let go it would slam forward as the lead edge of the tailplane lifted, sending the aircraft into a vertical power dive.

But if you survived the first week in one and got used to it, the Morane could win you over -- at least until you tried to land and a tiny gust of wind killed you.

#4324707 - 12/30/16 07:26 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

I've come to the conclusion over the years that when it comes to the early war kites it really is a matter of choosing your own poison.

[Linked Image]

#4324714 - 12/30/16 07:33 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

It's bad enough trying to fly this plane using default WOFF controls, I tried and couldn't get the thing to fly straight.

You can easily get your hands full trying to fly it "semi-real" - as much as a video game allows anyways...

- manual engine start.
- using only 50% - 100% throttle (600 - 1200 rpms) - i.e. it idles at 50% throttle, so that's how you start off the ground.
- fine tuning the mixture every time you move the throttle.
- avoid blip in combat. Blip during landing/taxi.
- only full throttle during combat.
- start with 1/2 fuel load to simulate 2 hour max flight time.
- use ME to fly recon missions solo.

EDIT: forgot to mention using a limited head movement MOD so you only can "check 4.5 or 5" instead of checking 6.

Last edited by OldHat; 12/30/16 07:51 PM.
#4324716 - 12/30/16 07:34 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
Lanzfeld Offline
Lanzfeld  Offline

And of course you get to know the back of your observers ass with excruciating detail every time you try to check six

#4324733 - 12/30/16 07:59 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

I recall reading somewhere that a fair number of Morane-Saulnier 'L' pilots went into proctology after war's end.

[Linked Image]

#4324739 - 12/30/16 08:07 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
Lanzfeld Offline
Lanzfeld  Offline

Hehehe
yeah

#4324740 - 12/30/16 08:09 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

I recall reading somewhere that a fair number of Morane-Saulnier 'L' pilots went into proctology after war's end.

And the rest never looked at a woman again.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4324747 - 12/30/16 08:33 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
You are not right Lou only you!

#4324748 - 12/30/16 08:39 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Mr_Dirt, I've been not right since falling on my head at age nine whilst trying to use the cardboard from a refrigerator box as a glider to sail off the roof of my parent's home. And point of clarification: I didn't glide so much as plummet.

Fullofit, some actually did look at a woman again, provided the woman in question was wearing either leather flying gear or a Sidcot. But to each their own I say.

[Linked Image]

#4324752 - 12/30/16 08:46 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
That explains for love for these canvas kites then Lou!

#4324755 - 12/30/16 08:52 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Actually that love can be explained by the fact that at the same age I got my first flight in a plane, a Stearman trainer that was owned and flown by a retired airline pilot who lived across the lake from where I grew up.

[Linked Image]

#4324757 - 12/30/16 08:54 PM Re: What New Hell Is This?!? Morale Saulnier L [Re: Lanzfeld]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
Very nice Lou I have only been up in the big tubes they call airplanes. My son and daughter-in-law have talked about getting their pilots license. May be someday!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM