Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4324554 - 12/30/16 11:59 AM Terms of formal address (languages)  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Quick question here for those of you who speak a language that have a word for formally addressing someone. For example the Spanish "usted" and the German "Sie".

Is this still largely enforced at the societal level or has it been relaxed somewhat in the recent decades? I'm just curious to know so I don't commit any embarassing gaffes whenever I finally visit Europe. smile

Of course English used to have a formal term of address (Thou) but it went extinct a long time ago.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/30/16 12:00 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4324563 - 12/30/16 12:27 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
jens198 Offline
jens198  Offline

Nuremberg, Germany
Well, I would say, that in Germany, the official "Sie" is still very common to adress someone that you don't know and who is older than you/higher in hierarchy/ is someone official (e.g. police officer).

On the other hand, there are more and more parts of the society and every day life that get rid of such old customs. For example, I work at a large software company and our department got a new (young) head of department. First thing she does is to drop the official "sie" in the whole department.

My advice: Keep to the official "Sie" and you won't do any harm. Situations can be much more awkward when you say "Du" to someone and it's not appropriate than vice versa.

Jens

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
#4324569 - 12/30/16 12:50 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Interesting info there jens. Thanks!

I guess in English today "Mr." and "Ms." are effectively the closest things there are to a formal address.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4324570 - 12/30/16 12:51 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Spanish is spoken in many different places and cultures, so it varies, but at least in Argentina yes, it's still used... in an relaxed, dare I say Argentine, way.

You use the informal for the most part except an older unknown person. Other than that it's more the setting than the person, like schools will go all formal after certain age (but again, some teachers won't) or the army or politicians stuff like that.

The common folk will usually use informal... you can still use formal words but talk in an informal way, too. That is, you say the words but you're not really addressing the person in a formal way. "Excuse me mister, do you have light?" followed by "Thanks, buddy".

But for the most part you speak informally.

But you won't have to deal with Argentinians in your trip on Europe, you should consider your self lucky. biggrin

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#4324571 - 12/30/16 12:56 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: WileECoyote]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: WileECoyote
Spanish is spoken in many different places and cultures, so it varies, but at least in Argentina yes, it's still used... in an relaxed, dare I say Argentine, way.

You use the informal for the most part except an older unknown person. Other than that it's more the setting than the person, like schools will go all formal after certain age (but again, some teachers won't) or the army or politicians stuff like that.

The common folk will usually use informal... you can still use formal words but talk in an informal way, too. That is, you say the words but you're not really addressing the person in a formal way. "Excuse me mister, do you have light?" followed by "Thanks, buddy".

But you won't have to deal with Argentinians in your trip on Europe, you should consider your self lucky. biggrin

Heh, in Miami the Spanish speakers never use "usted" unless they're at some really fancy 5 star restaurant or some high level executive business meeting.

#4324583 - 12/30/16 01:46 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
In Dutch and French, you normally use the polite form "u" (Dutch) or "vous" (French) for somebody you haven't met before.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4324611 - 12/30/16 03:33 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
In Scottish Gaelic they have formal and informal modes of addressing a person/people, the formal speech is also used for addressing multiple people.

Hello/how are you: informal Ciamar a tha thu? (pronounced Kay-mar a ha Oo) Formal Ciamar a tha sibh? (pronounced Kay-mar a ha shiv)

Merry Christmas and a happy new year: Nollaig chridheil agus bliadhna mhath r

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4324617 - 12/30/16 03:52 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Heh, in Miami the Spanish speakers never use "usted" unless they're at some really fancy 5 star restaurant or some high level executive business meeting.

The very opposite of Costa Rican custom. When I lived there, most people, even co-worker friends - and even relatives, will use the formal way to address you.

Only really close friends and your close family will address you as "t", which will be seen as very rude otherwise, especially talking to a lady you have not been introduced to yet.

If you refer to an unknown male as "t", you may even get a rude reply as in "...remind me when was the last time you and I slept together?" - depends on the situation, but usually they will look at you sternly and ask "do I know you?"

#4324621 - 12/30/16 04:07 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

I guess in English today "Mr." and "Ms." are effectively the closest things there are to a formal address.

the ones used in "polite" (aka posh non everyday gatherings) or official business in England

Master = under 16/18 males
Mr = any adult male
Mrs = any married female
Miss = Unmarried females/underage females
Sir/Madam/Dame = only used if you have them as an official title

If you do come over this side of the pond, just a quick "'scuse me, hi" will work 99% of the time! Unless you want to thoroughly confuse people by going up to them and saying "Excuse me Sir/Madam/Miss" smile

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4324623 - 12/30/16 04:14 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for that info meatshield. I can imagine that for some Americans it can be very easy to forget that "Sir" and "Madam" can be an aristocratic title in the UK.

#4324624 - 12/30/16 04:29 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
"Nin" is the formal way of addressing someone in Mandarin.
2nd tone, moderate rise please.

When addressing someone you do not know, who is older than you or, in some cases, of higher hierarchy.

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4324629 - 12/30/16 04:35 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
(family name)-san is normal in japanese as a respectful title.

in many cases, japanese people will substitute your family name for your first name if you are a foreigner

there is another

(family name)-sama, this is used if you are in a very high level of social responsibility above the speaker, or if you are a customer at the speaker's establishment. generally used by young staff or retail sales staff, not generally used in normal conversation. if people start calling you XYZ sama you are either in a shop, a serious corporate crisis (as a foreign manager) or a maid cafe..!!

#4324648 - 12/30/16 05:15 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Hard enough to get kids today to say ma'am and sir, I can't imagine trying to teach them anything even more complex like most of the world. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4324680 - 12/30/16 06:42 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
When in a foreign country, I have found that the Universal Greeting is sufficient.

Click to reveal..
Excuse me, do you speak English?

darts-pony

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4324685 - 12/30/16 06:49 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: Dart]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: Dart
When in a foreign country, I have found that the Universal Greeting is sufficient.

Click to reveal..
Excuse me, do you speak English?

darts-pony

I can't help but think of this:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/japanese-game-show/n10632?snl=1

wink

#4324688 - 12/30/16 06:56 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

I remember seeing that sketch live when it first aired on TV. It was hilarious. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/30/16 06:56 PM.

#4324728 - 12/30/16 07:50 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
In Newfoundland its still quite normal to address people older than you (who are not related ) as sir or ma'am; and those related to you are 'uncle' or 'aunt' or whatever. Folks of roughly the same age are addressed by their names.

In business situations Mr., Mrs, Dr. or religious titles ( Fr. Br. Sr.) are still used.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4324783 - 12/31/16 12:09 AM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: WileECoyote]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth

He will if he runs into Messi in Barcelona or something...haha

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4324921 - 12/31/16 05:32 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Here in the South, sir and ma'am are still very common and acceptable for common use.

One can also add Mister or Miss before someone's first name as a way of showing endearment or respect (regardless of marital status), particularly if they're older.

So my wife is sometimes Miss Sherry.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4324922 - 12/31/16 05:36 PM Re: Terms of formal address (languages) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Yeah, kids call their friends parents "Miss Sandra" and "Mr Bill". I hate that one thanks to SNL.
Sir and ma'am don't really even have to do with age, just showing respect or being friendly.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.