Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4323965 - 12/28/16 02:29 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

AnKor, what can I say? You exceeded yourself again with a mod that adds to the combat simulation, this single piece of software alone makes combat, landing and taking off a new, more realistic experience, thanks a lot!

#4324035 - 12/28/16 06:31 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: ArisFuser]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: ArisFuser
AnKor, what can I say? You exceeded yourself again with a mod that adds to the combat simulation, this single piece of software alone makes combat, landing and taking off a new, more realistic experience, thanks a lot!

+1 It really does.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4324352 - 12/29/16 07:26 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
Lausbub78 Offline
Lausbub78  Offline

It looks a bit odd when using the Bombsight. Too much movement I think.

#4324533 - 12/30/16 09:57 AM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
AnKor Offline
AnKor  Offline

Russia
Hmm... Bombsight. This is something I completely forgot about.
I agree there should be much (if any) movement in this mode, but I'm not yet sure if I can fix it. Will look into it. Thanks for reporting smile

As I've already mentioned I found a way to add roll inertia, the game engine seems to accept it without a problem, but after a few test flights I don't feel I like this effect. Maybe I just did something wrong, or maybe it is the way my brain reacts to rotating image, but so far I think the roll should be minimal and definitely optional.

#4324537 - 12/30/16 11:07 AM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Remember that the Human Head and brain is like a steady cam in movies. Although you have all that movements of your head and body, most of it is compensated by head and brain, so one would hardly noticing it by dancing and shaking enviroment but by g-forces on your body. You can compare it by what and how you see things when running, and then again running with a camera in front of your eyes. With the camera there is no damping effect, everything is shaking. In real there is not too much affect in the vision, rather in the body. The further away you focus something, the less effect it has. So as it is now it's fine IMO because the vision and focus is not affected but rather the angle is shifting a bit due to g-forces. I think adding roll would add some unnatural feel because even if your head rolls a bit, one wouldn't notice it visually, only by the strain on the body. Slight roll movements is probably what the human brain compensates best. IMO you should leave it out completely.
Think of when trying to hit a baseball, the head is always in a sort of roll position and adapts to the coming baseball. Although you are focusing on the ball, and trying to keep your head still, to not disrupt your angle of vision, it's always an angle. It does not feels strange to the head that it's slightly bent in an athletic position. The vision does not notice it.

#4324550 - 12/30/16 11:52 AM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
AnKor Offline
AnKor  Offline

Russia
Thanks, Creaghorn. Those are good examples you mention.
And it seems that the roll is the easiest for a brain to compensate. Changes in pitch/yaw require eye movement to stay focused on a target, but pure roll doesn't change the view direction.

#4324555 - 12/30/16 12:00 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: AnKor
As I've already mentioned I found a way to add roll inertia, the game engine seems to accept it without a problem, but after a few test flights I don't feel I like this effect. Maybe I just did something wrong, or maybe it is the way my brain reacts to rotating image, but so far I think the roll should be minimal and definitely optional.

I think optional would be perfect. Certainly some folks wouldn't want the added challenge of roll when trying to aim. Speaking for myself, I feel like it adds to the difficulty in a natural way. Sure, as Creaghorn states, the brain naturally compensates to some degree especially during the more modest maneuvers, but the effect would have its place while one performs some of the sharper moves. It should not feel like riding a boat across the waves, but neither should it be like a train riding a smooth rail. I imagine acrobatic flying to be somewhere in between, FWIW.

#4324594 - 12/30/16 02:14 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

I think if you roll you automatically try to keep your head level so you tilt your head slightly. So maybe when the craft rolls say left, your head/view rolls left a bit then you move it back, so maybe a damping effect is all you need, it moves left, then sort of auto corrects?

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4324605 - 12/30/16 03:08 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: Polovski]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Polovski
I think if you roll you automatically try to keep your head level so you tilt your head slightly. So maybe when the craft rolls say left, your head/view rolls left a bit then you move it back, so maybe a damping effect is all you need, it moves left, then sort of auto corrects?

Maybe I am misunderstanding but wouldn't your head/view roll right a little bit in order to correct if the plane rolls left? In essence, one tries to keep their head upright to some degree, which would move their point of view in the opposite direction the plane is rolling in, within the restrictive limits of where a full harness would let you move, of course. And yes to the auto correct! It should be momentary and then back to center.

#4324625 - 12/30/16 04:30 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
The problem is, that roll in real does not work that way. When you look into your screen and roll your head left and right, even quickly, you could still read everything because your brain compensates it. You also wouldn't have the impression that the world is rolling but you would know that it's only your head. If that would be ingame, it would have the impression that the world is rolling around, not your head. The same effect like looking through a camera and rolling left and right. Completely different feeling, and this feeling would simply feel wrong. Maybe this is what ankor actually meant.Maybe very very slightly and subtle would do, if at all.

#4324645 - 12/30/16 05:14 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: Creaghorn]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Creaghorn
Maybe this is what ankor actually meant.Maybe very very slightly and subtle would do, if at all.

Yes, certainly subtle would be appropriate. It shouldn't be like you had a bobble-head. Just a slight shifting left or right on more hardcore maneuvers.

#4325218 - 01/02/17 02:40 AM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: ArisFuser]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted By: ArisFuser

Couldn't agree with you more ArisFuser,what a absolutely brilliant mod AnKor..awesome work

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4325855 - 01/04/17 01:02 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: Hellshade]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Hellshade
Originally Posted By: Polovski

Maybe I am misunderstanding but wouldn't your head/view roll right a little bit in order to correct if the plane rolls left? In essence, one tries to keep their head upright to some degree, which would move their point of view in the opposite direction the plane is rolling in, within the restrictive limits of where a full harness would let you move, of course. And yes to the auto correct! It should be momentary and then back to center.

yes exactly Hellshade, I was describing what happens to your head before you correct it. i.e your head starts going left on the left roll, then you auto correct somewhat by moving it back .. to the right.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4325906 - 01/04/17 04:43 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Whatever magic AnKor can come up with, I'm down for it. His work is always improving the immersion of the sim andI trust both his instincts as well as his skills. Looking forward to whatever comes next.

#4325916 - 01/04/17 05:17 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Yes agreed on all those points. Everything AnKor has done has been a leap forward all adding to the immersion.

Thanks AnKor for all you do!

Regards,

Polovski,
#4326254 - 01/05/17 07:16 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
AnKor Offline
AnKor  Offline

Russia
Thanks, everyone! smile

Here is a new version: HeadShake.20170105.Beta
Don't forget to remove previous version with JSGME before installing the new one.

Added roll inertia. I tried to make the effect appear stronger when roll starts but mostly realign a few moments later. Not sure how well it looks.

Added experimental mouse look in cockpit view. Use mouse wheel to zoom. Mouse speed is not adjustable yet.
Hold ALT to get mouse cursor back. The view automatically recenters if you don't move mouse for 5 seconds.

Also fixed some bugs, including bombsight movement - it should be fixed (literally) now.

This is still in "beta" state, but seems to work well. Comments are welcome smile

#4326259 - 01/05/17 07:27 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
Lausbub78 Offline
Lausbub78  Offline

Wow,thank you for fixing the Bombsight view. Was the only thing holding me back from enjoy this mod to the fullest. Will give it a try as soon as possible.

#4326260 - 01/05/17 07:29 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) [Re: AnKor]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: AnKor
Here is a new version: HeadShake.20170105.Beta

Awesome. I am just off for a flight in the RIR Challenge campaign so will install this first and give it a go!!

#4326580 - 01/07/17 08:45 AM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) - Updated 20170501 [Re: 77_Scout]  
AnKor Offline
AnKor  Offline

Russia
Bump, just in case anyone missed the update wave

#4326595 - 01/07/17 01:29 PM Re: Cockpit G-Force Effects - Beta Version (WOFF UE) - Updated 20170501 [Re: AnKor]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
Thank you, real subtle head roll. thumbsup

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.