Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4322419 - 12/22/16 04:19 PM I'm trying to enjoy this, but.....  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
...it sure is aggravating.
I reinstalled DCS because I wanted to get back onto my F-86 Sabre. I'm nuts about that jet. I'd been reading about it and said, "I'm gonna have to reinstall DCS World."
I'm not here to bash the sim. There's enough of that being done. And I WANT to like it. It's just....Geez!
Okay, forget things like the dumb AI that leave me alone and go off to land while I'm in the middle of a fight.
I need to know how to fly this without getting so annoyed that I shut it off.
I want to fly without falling out of the sky. I figured it must be my joystick. But no other sim does what this one does. I feel as though I'm trying to balance these airplanes on the head of a needle. They don't want to stay in the sky. I can't keep my nose on a target because the damn thing is twitching all over the place. I've given up on trying to operate the A10 realistically. When I use the Mavericks I use active pause to stop the plane, line my targets up, fire the missile, and then unpause and fly again. It's the only way I can stay locked.
The F15 is supposed to be able to accelerate going straight up. Not when I fly one. There's a MiG up high, I start pulling back on the stick, I depart.
Maybe someone can tell me how to properly program the axis inputs. Do a "for dummies" explanation on what "saturation" does...etc. Explain to me what needs to be changed if this is happening and what needs to be changed if that is happening.
I want to fly the Sabre. The fates have deemed that this is the only place that I can do that. So, it is what it is. I'd love some help.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4322425 - 12/22/16 04:34 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Try setting the Axis deadzone at 7 and Curvature at 30 for the X and Y axis of the aircraft you're in and see how you get on. You can do this in cockpit and adjust to suit. Note these settings as set per Aircraft.

I find these settings give me a much better feel for riding the edge of a stall.

Nate

#4322446 - 12/22/16 05:45 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Nate. Thanks! That is a MAJOR I'm improvement. I tried so many times to get that right. My only question is, why did is take me so long to come in here and ask this question?
Oh, and can you fix the AI, too? Only kidding. Thanks again.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."

#4322680 - 12/23/16 03:27 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
I avoid deadzones - no crappy pots in Warthog, so I don't need them anyway, and I'm not a fan of input delay caused by them. Curves on the other hand help a lot, especially on my unmodded Warthog, with that damn stiff centering spring. Maybe I'll get rid of them someday when I extend the stick to real-life length and mount it on the floor, but till then, 20-30% of curves (depending on A/C) makes my life in DCS more bearable biggrin.

"Saturation" is responsible for how much of physical controller movement is transferred to virtual one. Sometimes You don't want 1:1 ratio - for example thanks to using 50% Y-saturation, I can use my racing wheel pedals to control rudder in DCS (full movement of gas pedal transfers to right-50% of movement of airplane rudder, while full movement of clutch pedal transfers to left 50% of rudder). People also sometimes use saturation to limit the virtual controls travel, while making the rest of their movement range more precise, but that's a very subjective thing.

#4322882 - 12/24/16 03:58 AM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
LOL, I just made a post complaining about the same issue. Just bought the Gazelle on sale and can't even get off the ground for more than 5 seconds because it spins and crashes. People say DCS have realistic flight models. I'm not buying that claim because if this is realistic then every pilot in the world would be dead from crashing.

Nope, this is just no fun and at the end of the day that is what a game is supposed to be. DCS fails in that aspect and now I regret buying all the aircraft I have because this Gazelle fiasco has me really pissed. Sick of spending hours tweaking the settings every time I buy a DCS aircraft.

Their prices for individual aircraft are ridiculous anyway. I've only bought them when they are on sale and no single aircraft is worth $55 - $65 CAD. I can get full games for that price.

#4322933 - 12/24/16 10:17 AM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: rezerekted]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: rezerekted

Their prices for individual aircraft are ridiculous anyway. I've only bought them when they are on sale and no single aircraft is worth $55 - $65 CAD. I can get full games for that price.

Prices are always subjective. I recently bought Battlefield 1 for 50€. Played it for some 25 hours, then got bored of it. The DCS A-10C cost less when I originally bought it. I've spent several hundred hours using this module alone.

But then there's nothing wrong about waiting for a sale. I usually buy only the modules that really interest me on release, for others I wait for sales.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4322948 - 12/24/16 11:19 AM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Para_Bellum]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
But then there's nothing wrong about waiting for a sale. I usually buy only the modules that really interest me on release, for others I wait for sales.

Indeed! I buy games I'm really interested in outright, the others I wait for a sale. Even when there's a sale on, there's usually a lot of games on my list so I tend to see how far some games have cut their prices vs. other games then I decide which one I buy based on what I want to play or how much gameplay I expect to get out of it.

- Ice
#4322949 - 12/24/16 11:24 AM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

The Fm in the game is on the spot for the eagle with respect to this. You can accelerate straight up under some very, veeeery specific circumstances.

You can do this by accelerating to M0.8 on the deck at half fuel load or so, then pull up at 6g and you will see some acceleration straight up until 5000'-10000'. After that, there's just not enough thrust to keep this up (thrust is reduced as altitude increases).

Or you could try to fly the streak eagle profile if you want, then you'd see something more amazing ... but again, the streak was super-light and you might need to do this with a very small quantity of unlimited fuel smile

Originally Posted By: Pooch
The F15 is supposed to be able to accelerate going straight up. Not when I fly one. There's a MiG up high, I start pulling back on the stick, I depart.

--
44th VFW
#4322972 - 12/24/16 12:53 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
FartHog Offline
FartHog  Offline

UK
I wait for the module to be finished before buying.....

#4323104 - 12/24/16 11:14 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: rezerekted]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
LOL, I just made a post complaining about the same issue. Just bought the Gazelle on sale and can't even get off the ground for more than 5 seconds because it spins and crashes. People say DCS have realistic flight models. I'm not buying that claim because if this is realistic then every pilot in the world would be dead from crashing.

Nope, this is just no fun and at the end of the day that is what a game is supposed to be. DCS fails in that aspect and now I regret buying all the aircraft I have because this Gazelle fiasco has me really pissed. Sick of spending hours tweaking the settings every time I buy a DCS aircraft.

whats your basis for comparison of FMs and Prices?

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4323411 - 12/26/16 01:07 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
I can get Battle of Stalingrad for same price as the Gazelle on Steam which is a lot more bang-for-buck. I've played pretty much all of the flight sims made so that is my basis.

#4323416 - 12/26/16 01:18 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Dear lord, BOS is a total turd

Gazelle, needs about 70% to 80% right pedal to keep her straight while slowly lifting off

Last edited by leaf_on_the_wind; 12/26/16 01:20 PM.

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4323425 - 12/26/16 02:26 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: rezerekted]  
xXNightEagleXx Offline
xXNightEagleXx  Offline

To be fair there are something that must be clarified.

First of all, rotary wings != fixed wings, with that premise you have to realize that the way you flight a rotary wing is completely different from fixed wings. Not only how you climb and gain speed but, unlike fixed wings, rotary wings requires you to anticipate each effect of an input that you apply.

Now i hope you don't want to compare virtual pilot to real pilot, as a virtual pilot you have basically no learning lessons, you just learn by yourself. Real pilot instead takes days before even trying anything on a simulator, and way more before diving in real life. Be sure that before they first real life trip they will be as much as possible proficient with what each input will do and how to reacts to it before even it starts to actuate.

In my experience i took years to learn to master a chopper like the HUEY. I remember trying to pilot choppers in FS 95 and successors with no success, then i tried in XPlane again with no success, each time i gave up after a few minutes to never try again in that version. For last i bought the huey in DCS and committed myself to control this *****, but as you can expect the begin was awful, each landing was a nightmare.
I've watched videos, read manuals but still could not apply what i read/saw in the proper way. Luckily a few videos pointed me the right path and only then i started to apply the input properly, being sensible enough, avoid to overshot the input and mostly important to anticipate how each input will reacts. Now i can fly naturally pretty smoothly with no pendulum effect, but boy from my first attempt in 98 it took me about 14 years among many resignations (if you do a few research, this is a common behavior among most virtual pilots that today know how to control choppers).

Don't take me wrong, i'm among the first the criticize Digital Non-Combat Simulator but give to Caesar what is due.

#4323429 - 12/26/16 02:39 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Quote:

I want to fly without falling out of the sky. I figured it must be my joystick. But no other sim does what this one does. I feel as though I'm trying to balance these airplanes on the head of a needle. They don't want to stay in the sky. I can't keep my nose on a target because the damn thing is twitching all over the place.

Seems you need a better joystick, because fly DCSW planes (exclude Helis) is easy, specially jet's. smile

#4323467 - 12/26/16 04:43 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
No, like I said, Nates axis changes were a big improvement. As a matter of fact, I decided to up the curves a bit and did away with the deadzone completely. Went into an F86 mission and promptly nailed two MiG 15s.

#4323491 - 12/26/16 07:41 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: xXNightEagleXx]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted By: xXNightEagleXx

First of all, rotary wings != fixed wings, with that premise you have to realize that the way you flight a rotary wing is completely different from fixed wings.

Please don't be patronizing. Been flying heli games on PC going back to Jane's Longbow. I also have the Huey and KA-50 in DCS and you never saw me complain about those.

Steam has refused my refund anyway so I am stuck with the Gazelle, like it or not. I am disputing it though because I never flew it for more than 2 hours and they are counting my whole game session, which was flying other aircraft.

#4323506 - 12/26/16 08:41 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted By: Pooch
No, like I said, Nates axis changes were a big improvement. As a matter of fact, I decided to up the curves a bit and did away with the deadzone completely. Went into an F86 mission and promptly nailed two MiG 15s.

Out of curiosity what stick do you use?

Nate

#4323580 - 12/27/16 03:49 AM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
An old cordless Freedom 2.4. Logitech , I think. Don't remember. Old, but it works. This is the only sim I was having problems with. But the axis changes were good.

#4323620 - 12/27/16 11:33 AM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
Hey, you guys know that my Logitech 3D Pro is a replica of the Airbus flight stick, right? It doesn't have HOTAS but is a better stick than Saitek, I know because I have a Saitek w/HOTAS.

#4323774 - 12/27/16 06:49 PM Re: I'm trying to enjoy this, but..... [Re: Pooch]  
Los Offline
Los  Offline

One thing to do is a Google search for Chucks DCS guides,(they are aircraft specific) consider them the liner notes of everything you need to know about getting a particular aircraft up and running. That includes axis specific tuning for a given aircraft for the bat experience.

And different helos and aircraft designed in different eras are going to fly differently, especially the gazelle vs a UH1. It can be a little disconcerting at first. Trying to fit a preconception on how one thinks and aircraft should handle vs how it actually handles can also lead to frustration.

We have seen this in our flying grouo(which includes 2 active heli pilots ) particularly when transitioning from a UH1 or even an Mi8 to the ka50 or gazelle.
Here is the master list of guides:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

Last edited by Los; 12/27/16 06:53 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.