Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4321238 - 12/19/16 12:19 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
I thought it was excellent. As did wifey and my lad. Just excellent. Not much of in an depth review I suppose, did I mention I thought it was excellent.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4321239 - 12/19/16 12:19 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I left depressed. All those great characters gone. We hardly got to know you. Finally, a kick ass droid K2- SO, GONE. A kick ass fast repeating gun that Baze Malbus uses, GONE.

I don't know why it took me so long for my mind to remember, about half way through, oh wait; this is the suicide mission on the planet that the Death Star tested out on. All GONE.

#4321363 - 12/19/16 03:53 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Both times they mentioned the laser was fired with a single reactor only. So it was the equivalent of a big nuke, but not a planet-cracker.

Red leader and gold leader weren't CG, they were just inserted into the film. It was the same shots from Ep IV, and the same lines, although someone did a good job adding on to Gold leader's voice to complete his sentence, but the beginning was lifted from IV.

In the hangar before they leave, there is a call for Gen Syndulla to come to the bridge or something, that would be Hera from Rebels I'm sure.
Of course, Ezra and Kanaan aren't around, and they were a notable threat in the time of Rebels, so obviously, like Asohka, they must be dead by the time of this film.

I also noticed the "missing" trailer moments from the film. This isn't the first time, though. The ESB trailer showed 3PO ripping the label off the door that led to the stormtroopers opening it and finding the Wampa, a scene that was deleted and missing until the BD release several years ago.
The Attack of the Clones trailer had Bail ranting in an office about something, not in the film and no deleted scene exists.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4321378 - 12/19/16 04:12 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

We also see a cameo by Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan (Walrus man and "death sentence in 12 systems" guy) in Jedha, before the village gets destroyed.

We know they survive because they are in the sequel... but it is never made clear how do they escape.

Also...the fact that the events were so close to ANH, kinda forced the hand of the plot to get rid of the main cast. There would be a lot to explain on why at least one of them was not at the briefing in Yavin IV before the attack on the DS.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 12/19/16 04:27 PM.
#4321447 - 12/19/16 06:16 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: DM]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: DM
I was happy to see AT-ATs stomping around on jungle beaches smile

...my only complaint really was Forest Whitaker's character just suiciding for no great reason and to no discernable effect.

I liked that you felt/heard the AT-AT's almost a minute before they even showed. +1 for cinema sound.
I thought the same about Whitaker's guy, no point. Guess he got tired of sounding like Vader when he breathed.

I still think they could've figured out a way for them to live. Nothing about ANH involved anyone but the core group until the very end. Wouldn't be hard at all to have them all recovering in bacta tanks or on another mission. Since the DS never used full power in this movie, I thought that would be how they got away with some living.
Nope.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4321534 - 12/19/16 09:12 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I'm bummed...Kyle Kitarn got stiffed. Wasn't he the one who found the plans in "DarK Forces" and since that was Lucasfilm (LucasArts), isn't that canon?

I also liked how every live actor in the Empire and Rebel Alliance had to have those 70s chops to match up with the 1977 Star Wars, haha.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4321537 - 12/19/16 09:30 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Dark Forces? Kyle Katarn?

Hey guys...

Member when George Lucas wrote in RotS that the Geonosians were the designers, and later the slave laborers who built the Death Star (the novel Tarkin)?

I member...

Member when the plans were stolen and transmitted to the Tantive IV after the battle of Toprawa (SWEU, Rebel Assault, The Force Unleashed))... oh yea, I member that too...

#4321548 - 12/19/16 09:50 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Dark Forces? Kyle Katarn?

Hey guys...

Member when George Lucas wrote in RotS that the Geonosians were the designers, and later the slave laborers who built the Death Star (the novel Tarkin)?

I member...

Catalyst, the novel that precedes Rogue One and shows the Ersos earlier relationship with Krennic, does indeed have Geonosians building the Death Star for years.

They move it from Geonosis prior to the start of this film as construction is complete and testing in earnest has begun. The laser was the last item to be finished on the station, the rest coming decades before.

The book starts during the Clone Wars and ends in the early years of the Empire with #%&*$# and his family running and hiding. Judging by Jyn's appearance, they managed to hide for a only a few years before Krennic found them.

There's also a lot of Tarkin/Krennic animosity in the book.

With the secret of the laser worked out, DS2 had its laser finished long before the rest of it was, because the Emperor needed it to blow stuff up first and foremost. smile

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4323128 - 12/25/16 12:57 AM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I just saw it and liked it. To me, there's no contest - it was way better than TFA. Of course, in my opinion a root canal would almost be better than TFA. This movie didn't bring in much new in terms of story, but it couldn't really because of the setting.

I thought this film accomplished a few things that helped the overall Star Wars story. In the opening scroll of the original Star Wars, it says that "Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire," and this showed that victory, so I thought that fit in well. Also, I think it showed more detail about how oppressive the Empire was, and why there was a rebellion. I think the other movies maybe didn't have the budget for that, and also were focused more on the Skywalkers. Lastly, I think it showed that there was a definite cost to being part of the rebellion, and that it wasn't easy for people to join and support.

To me, Tarkin was too "Beowolf-ish" to be shown so much, and actually Leia looked better on the screen I saw it on. The battle shots were well done, and there was a lot more of it than I expected. I'd rate it 8/10, I think.

So now, Star Wars movies in order:

1. TESB
2. ANH
3. RO
4. RotS
5. RotJ
6. AotC
7. TFA
8. TPM

TFA might drop below TPM. The more I think about that movie, the less I like it.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4323130 - 12/25/16 01:00 AM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: Falstar]  
nadal Offline
nadal  Offline

Originally Posted By: Falstar
I left depressed. All those great characters gone. We hardly got to know you. Finally, a kick ass droid K2- SO, GONE. A kick ass fast repeating gun that Baze Malbus uses, GONE.

I don't know why it took me so long for my mind to remember, about half way through, oh wait; this is the suicide mission on the planet that the Death Star tested out on. All GONE.

+1

it was like typing aaaaaaaaaaaaaa and then Ctrl+A Delete

#4323201 - 12/25/16 11:20 AM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Best of the series.

You have to remember that comparing a new SW movie to the original 3 isn't fair. The older movies have the advantage of nostalgia, something the new ones don't. If you watched ANH for the first time today, you'd be asking what B rate made for television sci fi crap is this?

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4323258 - 12/25/16 05:30 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Jerkzilla Offline
Ay dios mio
Jerkzilla  Offline
Ay dios mio

Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo
Best of the series.

You have to remember that comparing a new SW movie to the original 3 isn't fair. The older movies have the advantage of nostalgia, something the new ones don't. If you watched ANH for the first time today, you'd be asking what B rate made for television sci fi crap is this?

I wouldn't go that far regarding ANH, the pace is clearly slower and that does tend to turn away younger audiences. But the special effects are as good as they need to be and the dialogue, in my opinion, is orders of magnitude better than any movie in the prequel trilogy. That said, Rogue One is definitely one of the better SW movies.

Have you noticed the accents though? I have no problem with the way Americans talk or anything, but I think the many weird sounding English voices helped sell the "vast and diverse" galaxy that the Star Wars ostensibly presents.

#4323260 - 12/25/16 05:43 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I agree Jerzilla, I think ANH may not have the same level of effects and action as newer movies, but I don't think it's quite down to B movie level. I've gone back and watched it, expecting to cringe, and was pleasantly surprised. It all felt pretty natural, whereas TFA felt a bit forced to me.

It's kind of like the old original Star Trek episodes. I hadn't watched them in years, over a decade, and then BBC America started airing them and I expected to find the stories and acting to be so bad I couldn't watch it, but again, was pleasantly surprised at how well written it was, and how well I think even Shatner handled the role, for the most part. Watching that cast feels so much more natural to me than the TNG cast, who never seemed to really warm up to each other any more than co-workers.

Ken Cartwright

#4323293 - 12/25/16 08:16 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Ok so not B rate, but when rating the series you can't ignore the nostalgic factor. But bad is bad and good is good. RO plays into that nostalgic factor quite well, as it inspires a certain emotional response none of the others have. Even TFA felt a bit corny. The appearance of Solo and Leia felt pushed and unnatural as if they were just throwing a bone to all the original fans.

There's a fine line to walk. RO has the advantage of feeling real, and its a nicely placed addition to the series. I think the droid was the star of the movie. And that Vader scene... OMG... That's what everyone has been wanting from Vader since 1977.

Last edited by TerribleTwo; 12/25/16 08:19 PM.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4323392 - 12/26/16 11:16 AM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
I've recently been watching Star Wars IV and some actual 70s/80s sci-fi B movies. The difference is absolutely incredible. Star Wars actually holds up today, and still looks decent and convincing. The actual b-movies are cringeworthy and awful.

#4323423 - 12/26/16 02:17 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
ANH might seem B movie, but that's because the storyline has been done and redone so many times since then. In just the last 15 years, how many "orphan (finds out/rises to the occasion) where (he/she) has an incredible (destiny/lineage/power)" movies have come out? Harry Potter, Allegiance, Mockingjay, tons of tween movies etc. That wasn't the case in '77. That's not nostalgia, that's an original movie. Something you don't really get these days, so it's hard to compare it to if it came out today.
I'd compare it more to an indie movie or import that manages to have top notch FX and becomes a huge hit. Maybe more like Crouching Tiger back when it came out.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4323703 - 12/27/16 04:23 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Outlaw Offline
One of the Original Four
Outlaw  Offline
One of the Original Four

The Great Northwest...
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Kind of shocked how much I did enjoy it. Loved all the tie-ins and references throughout.

And,

Seeing Vader absolutely destroy the rebels was worth the price of admission alone. *Finally* getting to see him as a badass was insanely awesome...

#4323858 - 12/27/16 11:28 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Just saw it. Was mostly ok. It felt a little like "The Expendables - In Space".

Unfortunately, I didn't care one bit for any of the cast, so I didn't feel a thing when they all died. Which is strictly the screenwriters' fault.

Somehow the authors failed to give the audience enough backstory. I'd rather have known what Jyn Erso was doing before the more recent events - how she ended up in that penal colony - instead of her childhood trauma. That could have been delivered via dialogue, or as a - shorter! - flashback scene.

The most compelling character was the droid. Incidentally, his "death" was the most dramatic.

The final battle was neat, but, again, I didn't get any sense of suspense. Partly because I knew they would succeed in transmitting the plans.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4323956 - 12/28/16 01:56 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I agree, I think a bit more back story would have helped, and that the droid's death was one of the better ones.

I liked the final battle as well, but as far as suspense goes, did you really think they might not destroy the Death Star in the original Star Wars? Or in RotJ? In most cases, the heroes in movies will get done what needs to get done, the tension comes from how they do it, and at what cost. That's one thing I appreciated about this movie - all of the heroes, and a bunch of others, gave their lives to get it done.

Ken Cartwright

#4325505 - 01/03/17 11:57 AM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I finally got around to watching it this past Saturday. A few observations:

1. Mon Mothma sure did age a LOT in the couple of years between ANH and Return of the Jedi!

2. I guess cloud computing doesn't exist in the Star Wars universe. That hard drive/data farm was fricking huge!

3. Did the estate or family of Peter Cushing get compensated for his likeness being used so significantly in the film?

I enjoyed Rogue One significantly more than Force Awakens.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.