Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4323388 - 12/26/16 10:23 AM BEWARE buying the MIG-21  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Just a heads up if you are thinking of buying this while it is on special offer

There is something wrong with the MIG-21 activation system

Simple trivial changes to your PC config can cost activations

EG for me it was using vmware software on my PC
(The virtual network adapters being either enabled or disabled make the MIG-21 activation system theink
that it is now on a different PC)
I have used about 20+ activations with NO ACTUAL CHANGES in HARDWARE to my PC

Others on ED forums are getting other issues with unplugging ot plugging in hardware, causing activations to be used

It is ONLY the MIG-21 that is effected by this, so it must be something that Leatherneck have done configuring the starforce for this module

Last edited by leaf_on_the_wind; 12/26/16 12:31 PM.

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4323398 - 12/26/16 11:57 AM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
I haven't bought anything for a few years now but , thankfully I never had any issues with activations.

I lost my MiG-21 that was gifted thanks to the new policy, so I was thinking of buying at Steam the MiG-21, but as I have been banned at both the Steam and ED forums and considering I can not get timely help in case of problems because of those bans : thanks for the heads up, I'll skip this buy and get an Arma 3 add on instead.

#4323399 - 12/26/16 12:06 PM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Been very interested in the 21 for a long time but all activation issues I've seen keeps me away.
This is also my biggest issue planning to buy the Viggen but as a Swede I just have to buy that one and atleast fly it until the activations run out and I will be considered a thief by LN.

#4323400 - 12/26/16 12:09 PM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
EjectEject Offline
SBD
EjectEject  Offline
SBD

USA
Been that way since the release I believe, even had problems with Windows Updates triggering another activation. Once I ran out, I just gave up on the module. Believe if you contact Leatherneck they will provide a new key.

#4323402 - 12/26/16 12:19 PM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
I can't contact them at ED forum since I am banned there

so I would only buy from Steam now.

and the only way to get quick support for Steam related problems there is at the Steam forum, but I checked there just now and there is a ban against me posting there.

since I can't use now that forum thanks to being banned there and waiting for a developer to answer is a no-no for me, I rather skip it than have activation problems.

I guess I am done with DCS purchases.

#4323588 - 12/27/16 05:10 AM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

You can still contact ED if you're forum-banned. If product support was prevented by forum banning EU countries would string them up by the fruit and veg on consumer protection laws. I hear ED trouble tickets are like tying letters to God on a tree branch in Nepal though. Activation problems should be readily fixed by contacting LNS directly. Every 3rd party I've message has been super friendly and helpful about stuff like that.

The activation scheme changed methods so early customers had lingering (and at times conflicting) registry entries. Provided you get that sorted it shouldn't be a problem except if your PC's ID code keeps changing due to hardware changes. That could be a thing.

#4323596 - 12/27/16 08:02 AM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
zaelu Offline
MercInc staff
zaelu  Offline
MercInc staff

France (ex Romania)
Why this thread now I wonder? You guys are looking like cats meowing in the rain. Nobody in this forum gave a rats arse on this issue for 2 years now suddenly meeeeaaaw...

I always criticized the way Mig21 protection works because it's too sensitive but what you do here at SimHQ it's a full campaign and because I lived in Romania for a lot of time, I almost can recognize a payed one here.

So. For people brought here by Google etc.

Yes, the protection for Mig21 is very sensitive and can give you 2 kinds of problems but you do have solutions:

A. Error in activation system at start of game.

it looks like this:

Solution is to:

1. Either close that window and DCS World, then remove the new hardware and restart the game. I did that because it was a Bluetooth Dongle that was causing it and I wasn't planning on keeping it long so the Mig21 was more important.
2. Or you can made the hardware change final and then go to this thread
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2267911#post2267911
and download the reg file Cobra is giving there attached to first post

That file contains only this code and is harmless:

Quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Leatherneck Simulations\DCS:MiG-21 BiS\Keys]

What it does is to delete all registration data for Mig21 and then at the new restart of the game instead of an error it will ask for reactivation with your own serial.

B. Asking for reactivation problem without any errors.

This type o problem has no immediate solution yet but to reactivate and the system will use one of your 10 or 15 activations.

This happens because the protection is too sensitive at some changes (there is a formula of calculating when this activation is triggered for all modules but it seems Mig21 has those numbers beefed up or something).

HOWEVER.

Using an activation is not the end of the world. If you are one of the most people you just activate one more time and be gone with your life. But in some cases it is not enough and from time to time you lose again an activation.

In case you lose all 10 or 15 activations you have two solutions at the ready:

1. After consuming all 10 of 15 activations you had, each month you are automatically given a new activation to use.
2. Send an email to Cobra at nicholas.dackard at gmail.com and explain you are a good standing customer but the protection screwed you and you are left without any activations and he will send you again at least one activation (usually 5 to 15)

So first don't panic and don't make an arse of yourself.

P.S. If you have the curiosity you can see on those threads on ED forum about Mig21 activation that I am one of the critics of this system that fails often. But what happens on SimHQ is beyond complaining.

Last edited by zaelu; 12/27/16 04:30 PM. Reason: typos... lots of them
#4323597 - 12/27/16 08:08 AM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: zaelu]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Originally Posted By: zaelu
Why this thread now I wonder? You guys are looking like cats meowing in the rain. Nobody in this forum gave a rats arse on this issue for 2 years now suddenly meeeeaaaw...

... But what happens on SimHQ is beyond complaining.

A bunch of crybabies have been vocal about ED products recently because they got bounced from that forum. Judging from their behaviour here, and without caring a great deal, I suspect they deserved it.

Thank you for being helpful though thumbsup

#4323603 - 12/27/16 09:33 AM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: Frederf]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted By: Frederf
You can still contact ED if you're forum-banned. If product support was prevented by forum banning EU countries would string them up by the fruit and veg on consumer protection laws. I hear ED trouble tickets are like tying letters to God on a tree branch in Nepal though. Activation problems should be readily fixed by contacting LNS directly. Every 3rd party I've message has been super friendly and helpful about stuff like that.

The activation scheme changed methods so early customers had lingering (and at times conflicting) registry entries. Provided you get that sorted it shouldn't be a problem except if your PC's ID code keeps changing due to hardware changes. That could be a thing.

considering how slow their ticket response is - a week sometimes, contacting them using their website is a poor substitute.

Steam is even worse, not only they take a couple of days, but inevitably the answer is a copy and paste nonsense.

So buying from Steam - and being prevented from posting at the support forum, means that I am spending my money on Arma 3 Apex.

This means that I won't be buying any modules any time soon, I haven't for the past two years, so all remains as it is.

#4323644 - 12/27/16 01:11 PM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: zaelu]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline

Giant wall of text

Tried those fixes to no avail

I have a better idea , instead of customers having to jump thru hoops .....
They just sort it out to be less sensitive ..... you know like every other module?

I know a novel solution, instead a customers having for feck about, the software company just gets it right instead

Originally Posted By: tagTaken2

... But what happens on SimHQ is beyond complaining.

A bunch of crybabies have been vocal about ED products recently because they got bounced from that forum. Judging from their behaviour here, and without caring a great deal, I suspect they deserved it.

Thank you for being helpful though thumbsup

Cool story bro, and your contribution to this thread .... sod all

Last edited by leaf_on_the_wind; 12/27/16 01:13 PM.

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4323673 - 12/27/16 03:01 PM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Cobra847 Offline
Cobra847  Offline

If you're having an issue that is not solved by the steps zaelu mentioned above (thanks!) -- then shoot me an e-mail to nicholas.dackard@gmail.com, or use the support form at www.leatherneck-sim.com

We readily replace your replenish keys with no questions asked.

Director | Art Director

Heatblur Simulations
#4323725 - 12/27/16 05:21 PM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline

So .... you cannot work out how to fix it then ?

#4323780 - 12/27/16 06:56 PM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Rabb Offline
Rabb  Offline

Zaelu and Cobra, ~S~!

I bought MiG-21 recently, and I don't have any issues with activations. I occasionaly have problems with a protection system (which is 3rd party) and activations with other, different modules, but that is just a minor nuissance. Haven't lost any activations or whatever.

If you didn't change anything of your hardware or you weren't switching between operating systems, just close that dialog box, exit the game as soon as it loads and start it again. Detailed explanation of what and in what extent triggers activation can be found on DCS forums.

BTW, is leaf on the wind related to Firefly or Serenity?

Last edited by Rabb; 12/27/16 07:03 PM.
#4323823 - 12/27/16 09:05 PM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

This is a rather secret feature but if you hold a modifier key like shift, ctrl, alt and possibly some more during EXE start it will trigger a review of the activation info. This is a feature to force the dialog to come up when it normally wouldn't like holding F8 when starting Windows to access the menu with safe mode.

Joystick software or having a habit of holding down one of these keys during EXE start would bring up these dialogs and be reliably annoying.

#4324240 - 12/29/16 12:00 PM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Rabb Offline
Rabb  Offline

Thanks for sharing information, Frederf.

#4325140 - 01/01/17 05:54 PM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: Cobra847]  
LuseKofte Offline
LuseKofte  Offline

Originally Posted By: Cobra847
If you're having an issue that is not solved by the steps zaelu mentioned above (thanks!) -- then shoot me an e-mail to nicholas.dackard@gmail.com, or use the support form at www.leatherneck-sim.com

We readily replace your replenish keys with no questions asked.

Yes I was wondering why no one contacted Leatherneck , it is usually the best way to start with, let the manufacturer have a chance to fix things before publish a campaign against a product

#4325142 - 01/01/17 06:15 PM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
A chance? This has been an issue for well over a year and really should be fixed. LN have had more than plenty of time above and beyond 'a chance' to get this sorted.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4325460 - 01/03/17 04:00 AM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: Paradaz]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted By: Paradaz
A chance? This has been an issue for well over a year and really should be fixed. LN have had more than plenty of time above and beyond 'a chance' to get this sorted.

And with the viggen released, F14 on the way and the corsair to be.... they really need to fix their licencing. With multiple LN modules needing activating every time one puts in and takes out a USB dongle it's going to get very annoying.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4325926 - 01/04/17 05:38 PM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline

I have nearly every module available

LN and their MIG-21 are the only people with this issue and they refuse to do anything about it

#4326828 - 01/08/17 10:18 AM Re: BEWARE buying the MIG-21 [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
paleohayduke Offline
paleohayduke  Offline

I've been getting worried about this myself... Getting towards the end of my # of activations.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Force10, Rudel 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.