Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4320299 - 12/16/16 05:19 AM Rogue One Discussion (spoilers)  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I saw it just now... Anyone else? And go...

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4320310 - 12/16/16 05:45 AM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
OK...back home. I liked it overall. The story was fairly basic but then again we know the story already, don't we? I was happy that there were no whiney characters in this one. I felt that Forrest Whittaker's character was a bit inconsequential and had such a small minor part in the storyline that it made me wonder what was the point of him being there? But I liked the other characters, even though it seems that the ragtag bunch of freedom fighters seemed to be required to be, well, ragtag.

The humor in the movie was good, nice one liners and not too contrived. Same with the Easter Eggs. Bail Organa with Smits back in the role and people like Gold Leader and Biggs showing up was pretty cool. This story was told in such a way that it could just stand on its own. The CGI was incredible, not just where things didn't look too overdone, but Tarkin and Leia making an appearance was crazy. Leia DID look a little cartooney like Angelina Jolie in "Beowulf", but only for a second or two.

But I liked it. I think I liked it better than The Force Awakens. It was nice to see the "A long time ago..." but was really disappointed that they didn't have the familiar theme and the familiar opening preface crawl...but it is supposed to stand alone, right?

And I loved how everyone dies in the end--tired of the usual they survive happy ending thing--as well as Vader's one man attack, though I don't know why he couldn't just Force pull the plans out of the rebel's hand, or the rebel himself toward him. But of course you have to have some level of suspension of disbelief.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4320312 - 12/16/16 05:54 AM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I loved it. For now I will leave my report as ultra simplistic, but I left the theater happy. smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4320419 - 12/16/16 04:07 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Genbrien Offline
Stick to the plan man!
Genbrien  Offline
Stick to the plan man!

Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: bones
OK...back home. I liked it overall. The story was fairly basic but then again we know the story already, don't we? I was happy that there were no whiney characters in this one. I felt that Forrest Whittaker's character was a bit inconsequential and had such a small minor part in the storyline that it made me wonder what was the point of him being there? But I liked the other characters, even though it seems that the ragtag bunch of freedom fighters seemed to be required to be, well, ragtag.

The humor in the movie was good, nice one liners and not too contrived. Same with the Easter Eggs. Bail Organa with Smits back in the role and people like Gold Leader and Biggs showing up was pretty cool. This story was told in such a way that it could just stand on its own. The CGI was incredible, not just where things didn't look too overdone, but Tarkin and Leia making an appearance was crazy. Leia DID look a little cartooney like Angelina Jolie in "Beowulf", but only for a second or two.

But I liked it. I think I liked it better than The Force Awakens. It was nice to see the "A long time ago..." but was really disappointed that they didn't have the familiar theme and the familiar opening preface crawl...but it is supposed to stand alone, right?

And I loved how everyone dies in the end--tired of the usual they survive happy ending thing--as well as Vader's one man attack, though I don't know why he couldn't just Force pull the plans out of the rebel's hand, or the rebel himself toward him. But of course you have to have some level of suspension of disbelief.

v6,
boNes

+1
same feeling really

Some things that bothered me/ not sure if I understood correctly

1- why isnt the DeathStart destroying both planets ala Alderan? People were coughing near me and I think I missed some details. Did they say that it was in testing phase and not full power?

2-the stick of the blind man at the end looked like a lightsaber, and I was thining that for his final moment he would walked on the beach with it opened, deflecting everything. *would've been badass

3- Bail Organa and Mon Mothma were talking about a Jedi. I knew that Leia would be involved, but technically she's no Jedi.... I though that they would bring Ashoka(even if she's no longer a Jedi...), or any Jedi that's left

4- I liked how the movie felt for a more mature audiance, a bit like SWIII. Stormtroopers getting hedshoted at point blank + everybody dies at the end

XBL/PSN/others: genbrien
Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Samsung 23'' 1920*1080
CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz Keyboard: Logitech G15
GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: G700s
PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saitek X55, TrackIr5
RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr2 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz
Case: Cooler Master 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb
#4320425 - 12/16/16 04:15 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Azshal Offline
"Call me Az"
Azshal  Offline
"Call me Az"

Near VSFB, California
2 thumbs up for me. left theater exhausted though. I didn't really prepare biggrin

#4320428 - 12/16/16 04:33 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: Genbrien]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
Originally Posted By: Genbrien

1- why isnt the DeathStart destroying both planets ala Alderan? People were coughing near me and I think I missed some details. Did they say that it was in testing phase and not full power?

3- Bail Organa and Mon Mothma were talking about a Jedi. I knew that Leia would be involved, but technically she's no Jedi.... I though that they would bring Ashoka(even if she's no longer a Jedi...), or any Jedi that's left

For 1:
They said 'fire, single reactor', so I think they were deliberately firing at a lower power. At Jeddah Tarkin specifically ordered them not to destroy the planet. At Scarif I guess he wanted to preserve something elsewhere on the planet.

For 3:
They talk about two different people here. The first is Bail's old Jedi friend, who I think is Obi-Wan (possibly Yoda, but Obi-Wan fits better). The second is the person he will send to find Obi-Wan, Leia.

#4320434 - 12/16/16 04:56 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: Genbrien]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth

+1
same feeling really

Some things that bothered me/ not sure if I understood correctly

2-the stick of the blind man at the end looked like a lightsaber, and I was thining that for his final moment he would walked on the beach with it opened, deflecting everything. *would've been badass

4- I liked how the movie felt for a more mature audiance, a bit like SWIII. Stormtroopers getting hedshoted at point blank + everybody dies at the end

1. It was just the test run, plus killing 2 birds with one stone by wiping out Jeddah. Also Tarkin and the General were having a power struggle and were using this for the Emperor to take notice of their achievements, hence why the General was mad that Tarkin was stealing his thunder.

2. I didn't notice that but they did mention that the Guardians were not Jedi but guarded the temple in which were the deposits of the crystals that are used not just for fuel for engines, but to power lightsabers.

3. They were almost certainly talking about Obi-Wan. Bail said "He served me well in the Clone Wars and is now in hiding." I think Obi-Wan did alot more than Yoda did in the Clone Wars. PLus, Mothma told him to "Send the message"--which would make sense that Leia's hologram in the original Star Wars is the message.

4. YEs, makes you wonder if the rewrite was because it was WAY dark (in which case, imagine how that would have been considering it already was dark) or they didn't think it was dark enough. Either way, sounds like win-win.

v6,
boNes

PS I think my favorite line was when they put the bag over the blind guy's head and he goes, "Are you kidding me?!? I'm BLIND!"

#4320435 - 12/16/16 05:00 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
I will not use the word "disappointing" to describe it, but, at least for me, this movie offered nothing unexpected.

Predictable, predictable, predictable.

Is it because I as a fan have known various versions of these events, or because of the prequel nature of the plot, I knew the destination already? - I never went "Oh...wow, I was not expecting that!".

I felt very little emotional connection to any character, save for Jyn.

I did not care of the darker tone or grittiness. Sure, it works great to distinguish this offshoot from the main saga - but it does not compliment it. They restrained themselves with the queues to the original trilogy (and rhe very few hints to the prequels), but it still felt like a fan film to me.

- What I mean is, the story should had been it's own thing, no need to make callbacks to known characters and locations. We know the "bookends". Focus more on what is in-between. -

The good - It is still very good entertainment. The special effects are seamless. It is Star Wars!

And Bail Organa was talking about Obi-Wan: He knows where he is (he basically dropped him off in Tatooine), he does not know where Yoda is. And even though Disney's Rebels has not gotten there yet, I am of the strong opinion that Ahsoka will die by Vader's hand.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 12/17/16 04:37 PM.
#4320692 - 12/17/16 01:42 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Click to reveal..
The CG faces were noticeable and bothered me.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4320724 - 12/17/16 04:00 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
reconmercs Offline
reconmercs  Offline

an island
I think they did a great job with the CG faces, especially Tarkin, Red and Gold Squadron leader, the CG for Leia did seem a slightly off though...

I LOVED the movie, definitely will be seeing it again in the theatre. They included so many nods to hardcore star wars fans including the Ghost and its from "Star Wars: Rebels" making a few cameos and that final sequence with Vader was biggrin

#4320733 - 12/17/16 04:16 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: reconmercs]  
Genbrien Offline
Stick to the plan man!
Genbrien  Offline
Stick to the plan man!

Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: reconmercs
including the Ghost

WHAT?!

Where/when ?!

missed that banghead

edit: saw it on youtube
totally missed it during the movie sigh

Last edited by Genbrien; 12/17/16 04:18 PM.

XBL/PSN/others: genbrien
Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Samsung 23'' 1920*1080
CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz Keyboard: Logitech G15
GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: G700s
PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saitek X55, TrackIr5
RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr2 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz
Case: Cooler Master 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb
#4320778 - 12/17/16 07:43 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Yeah Leia looked a tad bit cartoony, it really reminded me of Angelina Jloie's character in "Beowulf".

What were the parts from Star Wars Rebels? I'm not familiar.

v6,
boNes

#4320779 - 12/17/16 07:58 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Robbster Offline
Robbster  Offline

Calgary, Canada
Saw the movie with my Nephew this morning. I can't say it was the best movie I've seen this year, but it was decent enough.

#4320784 - 12/17/16 08:24 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: Genbrien]  
reconmercs Offline
reconmercs  Offline

an island
including the Ghost

WHAT?!

Where/when ?!

missed that banghead

edit: saw it on youtube
totally missed it during the movie sigh

all the more reason for a second viewing me thinks smile

#4320785 - 12/17/16 08:33 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
After a lifetime of accepting Yoda as a person, I have decided not to nitpick the CGI faces in Rogue One. I use my suspension of disbelief as a weapon of good every time I go to a Star Wars movie. smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4320788 - 12/17/16 08:41 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
reconmercs Offline
reconmercs  Offline

an island
Yeah Leia looked a tad bit cartoony, it really reminded me of Angelina Jloie's character in "Beowulf".

What were the parts from Star Wars Rebels? I'm not familiar.

v6,
boNes

Their ship the Ghost is in the final battle scene when the rebel fleet shows up you can see it in this tv spot at from the :06 to :08 mark

Also supposedly their droid Chopper is in one scene but I missed that, I'll have to see if I catch him on the next viewing, also there is supposedly some radio chatter during the final battle that hints to their involvement, I didn't catch that either on my initial viewing

#4320808 - 12/17/16 10:10 PM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
From the other thread.

I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as TFA or ESB. Better than the prequels. Definitely more of a war movie as mentioned and it expands the universe nicely. Much darker picture of the rebellion, which was nice and took the Disney-fication fear out. Kind of dull the first 45 minutes. Will certainly buy it.
The battle was awesome--something you can play through on SWBF dlc, from space to ground.

I have the urge to see this again knowing that the tone is so different. It isn't totally devoid of humor, but it's much more serious and dry than the other SW movies. I knew it was supposed to be darker, but I think I'd enjoy it more now knowing the extent of it. It's less endearing for SW, but refreshing as something new.

As someone said, I missed the John Williams score. Nothing stood out musically. No Star Wars stretch-text intro either. A very different movie for Star Wars, and a little bit Dirty Dozen or Magnificent Seven.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4320883 - 12/18/16 05:05 AM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: reconmercs]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth

Also supposedly their droid Chopper is in one scene but I missed that, I'll have to see if I catch him on the next viewing, also there is supposedly some radio chatter during the final battle that hints to their involvement, I didn't catch that either on my initial viewing

I don't recall the TIE fighter showing up like it does at the 11 second mark. Was that an outtake/reshoot?

v6,
boNes

#4320911 - 12/18/16 10:37 AM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany

I don't recall the TIE fighter showing up like it does at the 11 second mark. Was that an outtake/reshoot?

v6,
boNes

Not only this .
No "I rebell" mentioned by Jin Ersa to Mon Mothma no Stormtrooper in the water on Scarif.

Maybe just some early shots just for the Teasers ( the scenes arn't in the trailers anymore) or they were outtaked because of the reshoot who knows.
I realy like that noone survived but just read that Felicity Jones has an option for a second movie. Since she is dead now there is a chance she plays a role in the upcoming Han Solo movie?

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
#4321222 - 12/19/16 10:35 AM Re: Rogue One Discussion (spoilers) [Re: bones]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Saw it last night, I enjoyed it smile

I didn't experience any emotion from it however - I stopped SW emoting when RoTJ came out smile and only felt a twinge at the end of RoTS.

The CGI Tarkin was incredible, I began to believe that they must have just found some Cushing lookalike to do it I was so captured. Leia however I did see the uncanny valley effect, but slightly.

I was happy to see AT-ATs stomping around on jungle beaches smile

Some nice easter eggs and pseudo-cameos I enjoyed. And, as ever, the design was superb.

The music was great, the acting generally good, my only complaint really was Forest Whitaker's character just suiciding for no great reason and to no discernable effect.

But, for a Star Wars movie it seemed to hold up pretty good, I had the idea that most would die (or we would have seen them in ESB, RoTJ etc :)) but I enjoyed it nontheless. I enjoyed watching all the elements of the first part of ANH come together smile

I enjoyed it far more than TFA, which I was disappointed with and thought was a pretty dumb movie. :/

Last edited by DM; 12/19/16 10:38 AM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.