Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4316701 - 12/01/16 01:28 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I was referring to their bonus point "sales."

Why in the world would you think I was replying to the first post in the thread when it was so obvious I was referring to the one immediately before mine?

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4316703 - 12/01/16 01:36 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: Jedi Master]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I was referring to their bonus point "sales."

Why in the world would you think I was replying to the first post in the thread when it was so obvious I was referring to the one immediately before mine?

The Jedi Master

Sorry it was not obvious to me

I usually quote the post Iam replying to, it makes it easier to see what a person is replying to, but we all think differently

Last edited by leaf_on_the_wind; 12/01/16 01:36 PM.

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4316707 - 12/01/16 01:39 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I do that if I'm replying to a post farther up the thread, because yes that would be hard to track if my post 12 is a reply to 6 without a quote.

If I'm replying to the one immediately above, though, I don't bother as I feel it redundant.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4316767 - 12/01/16 04:35 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: Jedi Master]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Nothing really. Just referring to the sales where you can use bonus points...

Yes, a nice idea that is very difficult to implement in practice.

What did you mean then, Jedi?

- Ice
#4316843 - 12/01/16 08:42 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
That while it's a nice idea, to give loyal customers a discount based on their purchase history, the rules are overly convoluted.
To the extent that it takes annoying levels of effort to figure out whether it would be cheaper to buy a module on a 30% off sale or use a 60% bonus point sale on a full price module when you only have X dollars...

I don't find accounting entertaining.

The Jedi Master

#4316865 - 12/01/16 10:00 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Well, what pissed me off greatly about it was that there was a "time limit" to when I could use my points. I bought DCS A10C at Beta stage and DCS BS2 as soon as it came out; I think I had some points from FC3 as well. But when I was looking at spending the point more than a year later, I was surprised that they were gone. Apparently, the points are only really valid for a year after your purchase, after which they are gone. Forfeit.

Yeah, thanks ED. Even more reasons NOT to buy stuff until well into their development or release.

- Ice
#4317474 - 12/05/16 03:06 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
There was mainly the fact that you only got points from non-sale items and they could only be used on non-sale items that limited their utility.

In other words, they rewarded people who paid full price all the time but pretty much were useless to people who waited solely for sales.

The Jedi Master

#4317531 - 12/05/16 07:05 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
The good (relatively) thing is, You still get bonus points when buying something with a pre-purchase discount. So did I, saving 20% on the upcoming Spit, and thus pumping up bonus piggybank, which I'm going to use on Normandy (if they don't come up with some new silly limitation, of course).

#4317561 - 12/05/16 09:08 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
So you get them, but can you use bonus points on a preorder?

The Jedi Master

#4318002 - 12/07/16 11:03 AM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Well hopefully, they come out with a new product you want within a year from your last purchase. Might want to check if this "time limit" is still on their rules.

- Ice
#4318113 - 12/07/16 06:01 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: Jedi Master]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK

The Jedi Master

If I recall correctly, you usually can't use the bonus points on early access or any new modules that have just been released....you're forced to go full price without being able to do anything with accumulated 'bonus points'. The whole thing is the best part of a scam.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4318122 - 12/07/16 06:26 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

On the same thought of commandline parameters ....... check this
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178249

guy suggests to try and have chat or community type stuff ... a bold a noble idea
.... but can anyone else remember hyperlobby4 i used to use it a lot with IL2 / lOMAC
to set-up games etc , it worked great

Wouldn't it be great if we could use it for DCS ...........

If we had command line parameters we could

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4318124 - 12/07/16 06:29 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: Paradaz]  
Revelation78 Offline
Revelation78  Offline

VA
Originally Posted By: Paradaz

The Jedi Master

If I recall correctly, you usually can't use the bonus points on early access or any new modules that have just been released....you're forced to go full price without being able to do anything with accumulated 'bonus points'. The whole thing is the best part of a scam.

Early access are usually sold at a discount and that is why your bonus points can't be used. You can wait for the pre-purchase period to expire, when the purchase price returns to the full price you can then use your bonus points.

#4318153 - 12/07/16 07:50 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: Revelation78]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: Revelation78
Originally Posted By: Paradaz

The Jedi Master

Early access are usually sold at a discount and that is why your bonus points can't be used. You can wait for the pre-purchase period to expire, when the purchase price returns to the full price you can then use your bonus points.

Covering old ground here but bonus points are collected by buying content from the ED store...so why then do they put caveats on when they can be used? Ultimately you can save $10-$15 in the pre-purchase period, or you wait until that expires and then you're limited to use $10-$15 worth of bonus points instead. Unless ED define 'bonus' differently to anyone else on Planet Earth, that isn't actually much of a bonus at all.

It's the best part of a waste of time. Perhaps it only looks good when ED claim something is a 'sale item' or 'discounted' but what they really mean is that you can use your 'bonus' points or 10% more bonus points than normal on cherry-picked content with products of their choosing.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4318166 - 12/07/16 08:50 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
Still not sure about the inability of using bonus credits on "new" items. There is a point in the bonus program rules, which is worded in a way that suggests so, but I know people were spending their bonus points left and right just after L-39, Gazelle and F-5 release, when they were still hot off the presses. Given that fact, one has to calculate indeed if it's worth going for pre-order, or waiting a month for a release and using up bonus (quite often a better deal).

The one year expiry date is there for sure, though, as pointed out during transaction, and/or verified later on personal ED shop account. Not a big deal for me, as it looks like the Normandy, the only thing I'm looking forward to in near future, is most likely going to be out before November '17 (my bonus expiry date). If I was one of You, modern jet-heads, however, waiting for F-18 or F-14, I would expect my bonus to go down the drain indeed, 'cause even Flying Spaghetti Monster cannot predict when these will be released biggrin.

All and all, I'd say the bonus points make actually sense when planning to buy at least two products in quick succession, and when star and planet alignment is just right... But I wouldn't call them a well-thought feature.

#4318194 - 12/07/16 09:58 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

IIRC, they brought out the bonus points system AFTER I purchased my DCS products. So meh, they can shove these in the you-know-where. As Paradaz has said, it's not really much of a bonus, just some form of "gimmick" designed to fool the consumer and pressure him to buy again before his points "expires."

Really, if you wanted to reward a customer in some form of "loyalty points," why put a time limit? Especially considering ED's development and release timelines....

- Ice
#4318215 - 12/07/16 11:16 PM Re: 8 Earthling years and still no command line startup options :-( [Re: - Ice]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted By: - Ice
IIRC, they brought out the bonus points system AFTER I purchased my DCS products. So meh, they can shove these in the you-know-where. As Paradaz has said, it's not really much of a bonus, just some form of "gimmick" designed to fool the consumer and pressure him to buy again before his points "expires."

Really, if you wanted to reward a customer in some form of "loyalty points," why put a time limit? Especially considering ED's development and release timelines....

EXACTLY

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.