Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4318062 - 12/07/16 03:48 PM Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at...  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

I rarely fly any other sim apart from WOFF UE. So I am quite a newbie regarding WW1 and WW2 sims. I know by their name some of them but haven´t really given them a proper try. I don´t know if they are worth the learning process after all. Any recommendations, personal favorites, top 10s, whatever? Thanks!

#4318082 - 12/07/16 04:35 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
Redwolf2 Offline
Redwolf2  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Il2 1946 Modded with VpMedia mod pack, Il2 Sturmovic Battle of Stallingrad/Moscow (though it has piss poor single play (though Patrick Wilson is doing his damnedest to fix that with a third party dynamic campaign generator (and it is getting a company overhaul as they work towards the next edition (upgrading the earlier releases as they go)) - looks pretty tho :P , Strike Fighters 2 series can be fun if u like early jets too ( SF2 Europe or Vietnam good pick ups - Nato Fighters Mod or Enhanced Vietnam mods recommended).

...but nothing truly comes close to the single player immersion that WOFF offers, nothing touches a candle to it.

Last edited by Redwolf2; 12/07/16 04:38 PM.
#4318104 - 12/07/16 05:21 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
I want to fly IL2 1946 with the Korean War jets but I never seem to get the time. I fly Pats work from time to time also, but despite his best efforts, the AI limitations always end up giving me a strange feeling of "sameness" that I don't get in WOFF. Other known sims

Falcon 4.0 - heavily modded
Cliffs of Dover - heavily modded with Team Fusion patches
Wings of Prey - which was much maligned but I profess to have enjoyed it, myself.
Strike Fighters 2 is supposed to be popular with lots of mods but it seems pricey to get started.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4318121 - 12/07/16 06:25 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: Hellshade]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
I only fly two sims: WOFF and CLOD. After a botched release CLOD, with Team Fusion input, is becoming very good. Excellent online and better and better offline. Team Fusion are soon (two weeks smile2 ) to release a North Africa expansion for CLOD which looks very good.

Team Fusion are hosted on the ATAG website:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/

Last edited by RedToo; 12/07/16 07:51 PM.

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4318148 - 12/07/16 07:36 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
My top-rated WW2 sim is IL-2 '46+DBW mod.

Have a second install with the CUP mod but while IIRC this has the improved AI .exe, CUP doesn't seem to have come close to catching up with DBW yet, in terms of campaigns. About running these, CUP seems a bit fussier even if you have the right aircraft names etc eg a 109E Battle of France campaign started with my squadron running straight into a low hill after takeoff, like the driver who turned into the wrong drive and crashed into a tree he doesn't have smile Possibly the mission was scripted for a different version of the map.

Anyway I appreciate the quality and variety of campaigns currently playable with the DBW mod...

For WW2, CFS3 with the ETO expansion is also worth trying - it's still at heart the basic CFS3 tactical air war, but expanded in timeframe. The variety of aircraft is most impressive, and they and the enviromnents look much better with Ankor's DX9 mod:

PS as it's free, Rise of Flight is also worth trying, especialy with Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator.

Last edited by 33lima; 12/07/16 09:30 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4318160 - 12/07/16 08:32 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
33Lima, I just did some looking around and Il-2 '46 looks really interesting. What exactly would I need to get started flying in that sim?

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4318174 - 12/07/16 09:12 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Hi Banjoman

There are various versions of Il-2 on sale - I would just go for Il-2 1946, rather than the 'Ultimate Edition' as I think the former has all the content of the latter, or as near makes no difference ie it's what the Il-2 afficionados call a 'merged install' that you used to get by installing each new iteration of Il-2 on top of the last one.

https://www.amazon.com/IL-2-Sturmovik-19...p;keywords=il-2

I have Vista 64 and don't know what tweaks or settings, if any, may be needed to get it installed and running on a newer OS. IIRC I had to install by running a different file; the appropriate advice will be easy to find online.

Especially for ETO content, one of the big modpacks is definitely a must. If like me you're not an old hand, all this talk of mod activators and selectors is a bit daunting, as can be the download size and installation drills. But there is plenty of step by step guidance available and even I managed not to get it wrong.

The go-to place for mods is still the SAS forums:

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php

The go-to place for skins, missions and campaigns (check the latter two are stated to be compatible with your chosen mod) is still Mission4Today: http://www.mission4today.com/

As for which mod, the one I still tend to favour (Dark Blue World, DBW) is now somewhat eclipsed by the newer Combined User Patch (CUP). There is also now a VP media modpack, which I think majors on enhancing the basic game, rather than providing extra content (in terms of more flyable planes and maps) like DBW and CUP.

Multiple installs are possible so you can have one for each mod.

CUP download links are here: http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,241.0.html

DBW is now here, IIRC the one-stop 'superpack' is the best bet: http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,192.0.html

Not sure where the VP Modpack is; haven't tried this yet.

Good hunting!

Last edited by 33lima; 12/07/16 09:40 PM.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4318175 - 12/07/16 09:12 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
my two cents...

I've not flown it hardly at all - so no comments there.

Exactly what you would need - I leave up to 33Lima to answer in detail.

My story so far...

I have installed IL2-1946 with the SAS Patches and the CUPS World at War Module.
I was having a hard time deciding between DBW (Dark Blue World) and the CUPS modules.
Went with Cups as It also has a Jets module that include Korea and wanted to try the F86 Sabre.
But after downloading and installing all the SAS Patches and the CUPS modules I ran out of gas and went back to WOFF.

You can check out the http://www.sas1946.com/main/ site.

One Caveat mentioned on that site regarding DBW...

Who should NOT use Dark Blue World?

~Online players
~Players with serious, 3rd world level, internet access problems...

From my experience the same would apply to the CUPS Modules...

There is a lot of downloading and installing

I purchased my IL2-1946 via Steam for 9.99.

I agree with 33Lima I followed the install instructions posted online and as I recall, it went without incident.

I am on Windows 10 PRO.

I also have IL2-Cliffs of Dover with the Team Fusion mod - again very little flight time.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4318180 - 12/07/16 09:21 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

I agree with Redwolf2..IL2-1946 with VPmodpack,i believe Capt Sopwith flys this also.

I found it a much simpler extraction and installation than CUP and DBW.

GOG has IL2..and its on sale there regularly.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4318190 - 12/07/16 09:47 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: Hellshade]  
Gattsu Offline
Gattsu  Offline

Barcelona (Spain)
Originally Posted By: Hellshade
I want to fly IL2 1946 with the Korean War jets but I never seem to get the time. I fly Pats work from time to time also, but despite his best efforts, the AI limitations always end up giving me a strange feeling of "sameness" that I don't get in WOFF. Other known sims

I agree. Enemy aces gaves his six to you and they are only dangerous in frontal encounters because of the irrealistic accuracy (with and without the AI mod). Other than that the game is fantastic, but for singleplayer the AI breaks too much the immersion.

IL2 CLOD with Team Fusion patches is the way to go for WW2 multiplayer. I didn't have good experiences with the AI playing offline trying campaigns or scenarios.

#4318208 - 12/07/16 10:35 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
I don't find the AI so bad, stock or modded. The bit I really don't like (stock, anyway) is they can magically see you coming when you're coming up under their six, then break hard, often just when you are about to press the t*t. Anyway, fighter -v- fighter I find is adequate...

(stock Soviet fighter campaign played in CUP: http://combatace.com/topic/86300-il-2cup-stock-soviet-fighter/)

Besides, it's only part of the air-to-air experience...

(Flying Tigers Campaign in CUP - a Ki-21 is now available instead of the SB-2 repaint
[url=http://combatace.com/topic/86073-il-2cup-flying-tigers/][/url] )

(Mosquito night intruder mission http://combatace.com/topic/81796-mosquito-night-intruder-il-2-46/ )

And the air-to-air experience is only part of the whole...

(trainbusting in CUP in a Quick Mission Builder flight, IIRC)

#4318224 - 12/07/16 11:50 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: Banjoman]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Northern New Hampshire, USA
Originally Posted By: Banjoman
I just did some looking around and Il-2 '46 looks really interesting. What exactly would I need to get started flying in that sim?

Banjoman,
I have been playing IL2 since it came out around 2001. It has gone through tremendous changes since then yet in many way remains the same super solid base program. SaS and Mission4Today as well as 4 or 5 other sites have stuck with this program and with the assistance and blessing of the original developers kept it alive far past its sell by date. How many other sims from '01 can say they are stronger than ever? The code lends itself very well to modding even by relative amateurs. And mod it they have...

That said, the mods to make it the game you see in YouTube vids and screenshots do not just all "drop in" with a few mouse clicks... No matter what any of the VP Modpack and CUP (Community Universal Patch) install instructions and grognard posts say. It is time consuming work to get it all up and running with the latest and greatest. The CUP mod in particular, though easily the most comprehensive, game altering Mod of a WWII sim I have ever seen, is a beast that would send Godzilla running for cover with his enormous tail firmly between his legs. It has been known to drive even experienced computer and IL2 users who are generally quite savvy to seek psychiatric or alcoholic help. Is CUP worth it once it works? Yes! You just have to ask yourself, "Is it worth my sanity?" (and a few dozen hours getting it all functional).

As stated above, the relatively recent 'VP Modpack' goes in a little easier than CUP, but I didn't find it to be an significant improvement on 2009's Dark Blue World mod (known as DBW). Both VP Modpack and CUP are works in perpetual progress with new mods being added weekly by many sources (That alone is a problem if one independent modder makes an adjustment to a file that is already modded by some other independent mod, well, you can see the potential for code chaos. It is not at all uncommon to have your carefully crafted mega monster, multi-modded wonder sim working perfectly one day, add a mod and the whole thing come to a grinding halt until you either remove the one of the offending mods, wait for one of the modders to fix the little bugger of a file causing the problem or simply commit suicide and be done with it). DBW has pretty much reached the end of its development other than skins and campaigns that are still easily added. For that reason, DBW is a good place to perhaps get to and stop for the newcomer to IL2 1946.

There is no 'One Size Fits All' unzip and play package. It is scattered all over the net on more than a dozen quality sites. I have actually learned to read a few key words in Russian over the years since a number of good sites are Russian and do not work with webpage translators. The basic game is very easy to install and play. All the assorted 'regular' patches are available in numerous locations and go in flawlessly. The DBW mega pack isn't too hard to add once you understand the ins and outs of upgrading the base program. Beyond the mega patch and DBW however, it starts to get more than a bit overwhelming to newcomers simply due to the incredibly huge mass of downloadable material out there. And as I said, the CUP and VP Modpack can be somewhat finicky to install and will likely try the patience of a saint.

Bottom Line: IL2 1946 is a phenomenal package. It is made massively more phenomenal with DBW, CUP or VP Modpack and literally thousands of Skins, missions, campaigns etc etc.. Just be prepared for a lot of headaches before you are running up your engine at the end of the runway if you carry it beyond DBW.

Rick

PS. I'll be glad to assist you off the boards with this if you go down that mind numbing road... mycomputer

Last edited by Buff1; 12/08/16 01:02 AM.
#4318234 - 12/08/16 12:29 AM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Thanks guys, I think over the weekend I'll get IL-2 '46 and get started working on this beast. I loved IL-2 Sturmovik and I really miss flying for the Japanese.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4318236 - 12/08/16 12:48 AM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

There,s a big sale on at the moment at GOG Banjoman.
I dont think IL2-1946 is on sale at the moment but it almost certainly will be at some point thumbsup

We will remember them.
#4318290 - 12/08/16 07:51 AM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: 33lima]  
Redwolf2 Offline
Redwolf2  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Originally Posted By: 33lima

Not sure where the VP Modpack is; haven't tried this yet.

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,50919.0.html

Cheers cheers

(P.S. The map beautification that VP does is amazing!)

Last edited by Redwolf2; 12/08/16 07:53 AM.
#4318302 - 12/08/16 11:14 AM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

There are no new decent ww2 or ww1 flight sims today frown

#4318308 - 12/08/16 12:15 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
You need to go away and have a rest mate... your life must be hell, always the negative waves frown

#4318320 - 12/08/16 01:16 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: Trooper117]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Trooper117
You need to go away and have a rest mate... your life must be hell, always the negative waves frown

I love that movie. A bank robbery behind enemy lines during WWII. Just awesome.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4318333 - 12/08/16 01:56 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: ArisFuser]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Just a quick heads up lads..IL2-1946 is 60% off now on GOG

We will remember them.
#4318431 - 12/08/16 07:10 PM Re: Other Flight Sims worth taking a look at... [Re: Banjoman]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Originally Posted By: Banjoman
Thanks guys, I think over the weekend I'll get IL-2 '46 and get started working on this beast. I loved IL-2 Sturmovik and I really miss flying for the Japanese.

There's plenty of scope for that:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM