Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4316916 - 12/02/16 02:28 AM Tips for flying the Eindecker?  
Bumbo Offline
Bumbo  Offline

My first career I went for Entente during the Somme, ended up in an Eindecker and I am having a hell of a time trying to control this thing. I assume it's the wing-warping that's doing it but whatever it is this thing has huge nose-up tendency and rolls like a brick. Trying to turn is painful, trying to fly level is painful, stalling out whenever I try to do any kinds of turns.

Does anyone have any tips for controlling the E.III? I'd rather not start a new career and leave my dude in limbo but he's already crashed once so I figure he's not gonna live very long either way. I'm starting to think maybe the Eindecker is just a messy plane to learn to fly on and maybe I should try a different part of the war. For what it's worth the Dr.I is also supposed to be a tough one to learn but I had a lot of fun with it in Rise of Flight, especially love that Tokyo drift action with the rudder.

#4316921 - 12/02/16 02:41 AM Re: Tips for flying the Eindecker? [Re: Bumbo]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Welcome to the fray, yes the eindecker is quite a handful. What worked for me was to keep my nose down and use plenty of rudder. What I would suggest is to go into QuickCombat and select Free Flight and just practice, practice, and even more practice. With the Eindecker you really can't have too much practice. biggrin

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4316930 - 12/02/16 03:16 AM Re: Tips for flying the Eindecker? [Re: Bumbo]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Bumbo, welcome to WOFF! The Eindecker is definitely not the best choice when starting out in WOFF. It's one of the hardest planes to learn to control. The Pup is a great plane to learn on, but be careful of steep / fast dives.

Good luck!

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4316944 - 12/02/16 06:09 AM Re: Tips for flying the Eindecker? [Re: Bumbo]  
zifnow Offline
zifnow  Offline

Hard to fly! Since we are talking of a career:

1) Climb to mission debrief height over your airodrome, this will have you fly much of the mission in level
2) Apply little wing-warp to turn, take your time to make a turn. Don't rush and level back if you need to turn more
3) If you find yourself in combat and need to hard-turn, you can avoid to spin trading some height for speed, makes turn somehow more stable
4) Also, Eindecker is terrible at horizontal turning, but could barrel roll quite nice: you could barrel roll, split S downward or with some energy (trade your height for speed) even split roll upward, which basically would be a Immelmann turn
5) Don't try to out turn Nieuports or DH2, you will just lose speed and enter spin and find them on your tail. If you have to, pick energy duel, where you Eindecker is better than their biplanes: dive-attack-disengage-gain height. Repeat. If you are outclassed, just leave you should be speedy enough to get rid of them!

Good luck!

Last edited by zifnow; 12/02/16 06:14 AM.
#4316976 - 12/02/16 12:18 PM Re: Tips for flying the Eindecker? [Re: Bumbo]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Welcome to the WOFF skies Bumbo, you're in for quite the ride. Regarding the Eindecker, another tip to add to the excellent list already going is this: If you do find yourself in a fairly steep bank and the little beastie won't respond, (and in the Einie a fairly steep bank is anything over about 15 degrees), rock the elevator up and down a bit as you bring the stick back to center and you can get yourself right again.

By the way, and this is most important of all, new lads buy the drinks!

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4317187 - 12/03/16 04:52 PM Re: Tips for flying the Eindecker? [Re: Bumbo]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
I plan on making an Eindecker-Instruction-Video for some Time, now... with a little Luck I've got Time to start this WE - and I hope to finish it 'till next WE...

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War