Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4315645 - 11/27/16 05:18 PM New CUP updates  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
There seems to be very little interest here in IL2 1946 anymore but there are major updates released today at the SAS forums.

IL2 1946 with the CUP module addon system has become a well done, all encompassing flightsim that is still being improved.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4315744 - 11/28/16 06:11 AM Re: New CUP updates [Re: Sunchaser]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I don't know whether it's better now but during the early days of CUP the module system was a bit daunting with a big number of patches that needed to run in a specific order. With a VR mod and CUP I'd happily go back to good old IL2 46!

#4315766 - 11/28/16 07:40 AM Re: New CUP updates [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
markl Offline
markl  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyingMonkey
I don't know whether it's better now but during the early days of CUP the module system was a bit daunting with a big number of patches that needed to run in a specific order. With a VR mod and CUP I'd happily go back to good old IL2 46!

I agree. When CUP first came out I downloaded and installed it, pretty good.
But then it required all those restore points, too much trouble so I gave up.
Also torrent files were different to the download links and it was never explained which were correct (at least that I could see)

It would be daunting to have to download everything again but if restore points were no longer necessary I would install straight away. I would love to see an all in one large torrent to install the lot in one go, with just incremental patches after that.

Anyway I hope smile

Last edited by markl; 11/28/16 07:41 AM.

MarkL
#4315834 - 11/28/16 02:25 PM Re: New CUP updates [Re: Sunchaser]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
I think the restore points are a bit misunderstood.

If you notice, each specific module, for example, #WAW is over written each time a new part is added so all the user needs to do is put it in the main game directory.

When a restore point is reached, the first in WAW is part 10, the only difference is that instead of overwriting the WAW folder you need to replace it with the new one.

Just add a - in front of the WAW folder to prevent overwrite and drag the new one in part 10 into the game.

You need to turn off some things in the JSGME section, all covered in the install instructions of each restore point download.

CUP is huge and can be intimidating but if the entire package is too much, just get the mandatory map module and select the module that interests you.

DOF = WWI
TGA = Between the wars and Spanish Civil War
WAW = WWII
JTW = Post WWII to modern jets and Helicopters.

IL2 1946 has been turned into something never expected and never to happen again in the flightsim world.

#4316236 - 11/29/16 07:07 PM Re: New CUP updates [Re: Sunchaser]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
^ Ditto. Haven't flown the Il-2 CUP for a while, but this thread reminded me of it. Turns out, my CUP install was just one Modular Map Expansion pack "old" and two WAW packs behind the schedule. All I had to do was downloading these three archives, deleting the old "WAW" folder and unpacking everything, overwriting when prompted. Downloading took almost an hour (hefty size files!), unpacking less than a minute. Done. You can't get more simple and "incremental" than that!

If You have some working copy of CUP but don't want to drown in small fixes and edits (I certainly don't), just wait for official update packs and apply them over existing base, they make life easier.

#4316346 - 11/30/16 06:31 AM Re: New CUP updates [Re: Sunchaser]  
markl Offline
markl  Offline

Originally Posted By: Sunchaser
I think the restore points are a bit misunderstood.

If you notice, each specific module, for example, #WAW is over written each time a new part is added so all the user needs to do is put it in the main game directory.

When a restore point is reached, the first in WAW is part 10, the only difference is that instead of overwriting the WAW folder you need to replace it with the new one.

Just add a - in front of the WAW folder to prevent overwrite and drag the new one in part 10 into the game.

You need to turn off some things in the JSGME section, all covered in the install instructions of each restore point download.

CUP is huge and can be intimidating but if the entire package is too much, just get the mandatory map module and select the module that interests you.

DOF = WWI
TGA = Between the wars and Spanish Civil War
WAW = WWII
JTW = Post WWII to modern jets and Helicopters.

IL2 1946 has been turned into something never expected and never to happen again in the flightsim world.

This thread has me interested again. Could you explain the JSGME part as I have not used that mod manager before. I will start by downloading all the bits, that will take me awhile.

I still have some downloads from before, as they still good or should I start all over again. I notice that some of the restore points are before the last I have in some series, IE the restore point is part way through tthe series I originally installed before restore points arrived.

MarkL
#4316419 - 11/30/16 02:35 PM Re: New CUP updates [Re: Sunchaser]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
markl,
SAS~Monty27 has just posted at SAS the following:
"COMMUNITY UNIVERSAL PATCH - C.U.P.

EASY ALL IN ONE INSTALL GUIDE
Over a couple of years CUP has grown into the gargantuan behometh of all supermods.
Those who went from the start have built gradually and know that it all works fine.
Those who are just starting out feel as if they are looking at Mount Everest!

There will be a slimline version - with everything in one place - and on one single torrent.
That will take a little time to assemble. Meanwhile, all the material is here and it can be installed very easily by decompressing these files in sequence.
The goal is to build your SFS-Folders, and their content, and then add the latest Mod folders #DOF, #TGA, #WAW and #JTW, right at the end.
As you add the material nothing inside your basic Il2 game is effected. You simply accumulate files inside your SFS-folders: SFS_DOF, SFS_TGA, SFS_WAW, SFS_JTW and SFS_MAPS. That's it, really simple,"(end quote)

The key sentences here are these: "There will be a slimline version - with everything in one place - and on one single torrent.
That will take a little time to assemble."

For anyone reading this, who is understandably overwhelmed by the sheer size of CUP, fear not, Monty and his elves and the modders are going to simplify the whole operation.

This information is posted here:
CUP install guide

Do not worry about the first post date of August 11, 2015, SAS~Monty27 has updated that first post every time a new part is released and it is up to date as of yesterday.

So, waiting for the slimline version may be advisable for some.

Anyone not wanting to wait, all of the pieces are in the link above along with instructions how to proceed.

markl,
The JSGME folder contains certain optional mods that you activate according to individual taste.
None of them are mandatory for proper operation of the game.

Those mod options are in a folder in the game directory and are activated by scrolling down to the JSGME application icon and selecting whichever feature you want and moving it from the left side to right side of the box.

The JSGME section contains module specific options, for example, #CUP applies to the entire game while #DOF only applies to the Dawn of Flight module and WAW only to World at War.

The JSGME section has got a bit confusing, many options, and I believe they are working on simplifying it too.

I suggest installing from new downloads if you are starting over after awhile away from the game.

If your present install is working and just missing a few of the latest parts, try adding them.
I believe each restore point part updates all previous parts.

Let us know how it is working out, OK?

#4316432 - 11/30/16 02:56 PM Re: New CUP updates [Re: Sunchaser]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
HOLD THE PRESSES!
I did not read all of the updated CUP install guide and this section is new:

"THE FINAL STEP
You should not be prompted to overwrite anything because you have gotton rid of: #DOF, #TGA, #WAW and #JTW right?

UnRAR/UnZIP Direct to your main Il2 Install:
CUP SAFETY NET: https://www.mediafire.com/?aknzs9723vbb2a2

These are your clean new LATEST CUP MOD folders as of December 2016.

These folders are what makes it all work. They are straight from the master backup build and clean as a whistle!
If you mess up your mod folders simply restore them from CUP SAFETY NET.
That's it, all done, you are now modded to the gills, enjoy everything!!!" (end quote)

That indicates to me that the individual restore points are no longer required and, in fact, the restore point notices from the separate parts downloads are not there anymore.

So, for anyone just beginning, follow the download instructions, install as directed and fly.

#4317192 - 12/03/16 05:18 PM Re: New CUP updates [Re: Sunchaser]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
I have never used a torrent but here are new ones as of 12-2-16 for all CUP modules.:

New Torrents

#4317407 - 12/05/16 07:15 AM Re: New CUP updates [Re: Sunchaser]  
markl Offline
markl  Offline

Originally Posted By: Sunchaser
I have never used a torrent but here are new ones as of 12-2-16 for all CUP modules.:

New Torrents

Just noticed this myself. I had nearly finished downloading the older torrents when I noticed a post for the first module regarding these new torrents. Just hoping the instructions are up to date.

Regards

MarkL

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.